The Official HardCraft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have player's on HC that are kids? Hrm, I had no idea.

But yeah, g1 is right. Dedicated servers on-par with the specs that we were discussing for the future server would be extremely costly. They definitely charge a premium on them. Wouldn't be surprised if it broke $100+ a month.

I've never looked for hosting myself, I know some have before I wouldn't know where to start.

out youngest player is 10 at the moment.

Looks like ~$30/mo
Tell you what, if this job I'm at turns out to be long term, I'll pop, but that's a year or so out...

Also, if anyone has anything on Hardcraft2, Skyworld, or the Wasteland.

Please remove anything you want to keep, as preparation for 1.8 transition, I'll be removing the extra maps. the more we do now, the faster we'll get things done later.

As of August 1st, I'll remove the extra maps. You've got till then.

It's not just about depleted materials though. Of course there are a ton of materials still available to be had. Looking at the map, much of the world has been explored, maybe not caves. But the surface is pretty thoroughly explored. Creating a new world isn't all about exploring either.

The more looking I do, the more I think opening the boundaries won't work though. Once 1.8 comes out we can do some testing. I can download the world to my PC and go behind the worlds boundaries to see what gets generated. If new features do, we'll be able to consider that option.

I'm not sure what your point is here, sorry. :confused:

Hopefully we get canyons and canyon grinders out of the deal. :cool:

Strong vote for staying with "G1 Hosting, LLC" :D Monthly hosting or co-lo would be expensive. (I'm perfectly willing to donate for new hardware or to defray hosting costs.)

@dj_2004 What's your in-game name?

[edit] Actually, can we get a list in the OP of [H]->[H]Craft names?

#2 - Can we get a list of all installed plugins again? Some have been added/removed (Lava furnace is one I can think of.) I don't want to miss out on anything.

Last edited:
At this time I will be picking up a new core for my server in 2 weeks, at which time I will talk with G1 about moving it to me since it costs me NO money to run a server and I have a business class connection, so we should be set IF we need to go that route, HOWEVER, to be honest, I do not find any problems with G1's server setup at all and I have been relatively lag free since day 1.

If that's the case, why not just run the two maps on separate boxes? 1.8 on one, current map on the other? Choice is always good... Of course, in that case, we will need a new admin, unless G1 really wants to run 2 shows... lol

I've mentioned that, but it would split the community. A lot of people don't like to play unless there are people on to talk to.

Instead of having 5 or 6 on... it would like like 2/3 split...

My two cents, not that my option matters all that much since I am not on as much as others.

I like the idea of a new map for 1.8. While I like the map that we currently have, and it will suck since I have accumulated many materials, beginning anew is exciting with the new features to 1.8 coming up. I sort of figured with newer versions that a world change would be required. I would like to see the new map as the primary and maybe the current map as a secondary for people who would like to use still.

IC

What about starting a website and having a "donate" button... a server I used to play on (left because too many young kids) had a donate button. And I donated every once in a while when they needed money for hosting. Im not rich, im not broke, but I can afford a few bucks a month to chip in towards hosting.

Im not saying the server is S L O W its definitly decent for the amount of people we have, but it definitly could be better. I used to play (that server with the kiddies) on a server that was more full but had better performance, reason was they were paying monthly for hosting on a fast pc...

besides me, who else would be willing to chip in for some dedicated hosting, i know it'll relieve g1's badnwidth and he wouldnt have to worry about power failures and he could let another company worry about the uptimes/etc...

What about starting a website and having a "donate" button... a server I used to play on (left because too many young kids) had a donate button. And I donated every once in a while when they needed money for hosting. Im not rich, im not broke, but I can afford a few bucks a month to chip in towards hosting.

Im not saying the server is S L O W its definitly decent for the amount of people we have, but it definitly could be better. I used to play (that server with the kiddies) on a server that was more full but had better performance, reason was they were paying monthly for hosting on a fast pc...

besides me, who else would be willing to chip in for some dedicated hosting, i know it'll relieve g1's badnwidth and he wouldnt have to worry about power failures and he could let another company worry about the uptimes/etc...

youve been bitching about the server since day 1.

i trust G1 more than any paid hoster.

Enough Adam, no more asking about a server rental, we have NO NEED to do so. Between Nick, G1 and me, there is plenty of possible hosting and admin capabilities that we dont need to discuss this any furthur.

As for a server split, HELLZ NO. I am not having a half and half community to play with.

Me and G1 spoke on the phone and we are going to do 2 maps, the primary map is going to be 1.8, the secondary will be 1.7 (our current map) so that you can still have your resources AND have 2 maps.

This is the only solution that makes the most sense AND is the lesser of two evils! Less people will be upset with this decision.

One option I have not seen yet,

Why dont we set up a torrent or some sort of download for the current map, So we all can have it as a SSP map after we switch over to 1.8?

Why dont we set up a torrent or some sort of download for the current map, So we all can have it as a SSP map after we switch over to 1.8?

Id rather party play this map!

I'd gladly host a zip of the map on my web host. No problem.

I'm not seeing how that's an "option" it's just a folder, anyone can have it... everyone who has asked for a copy I said sure...

But I see the only thing that doing is making more people play SSP and not play SMP lol

Personally after 1.8 I see a lot of people going their own ways no matter what we try to do...

Can you blame them? All this time spent making something and you want to start fresh... its your server ya do as you wish, but people (including me) dont like starting over. Sure you say you'll still have it available but you also want to start an economy so how can that work? Its just the realization that all these people spent all this time developing/making things, and now suddenly a few people want to start over (those few people who it seems also get freebies, given free things to build with/etc...) just my 2 cents.

Not trying to start wars but it is what it is.

Can you blame them? All this time spent making something and you want to start fresh... its your server ya do as you wish, but people (including me) dont like starting over. Sure you say you'll still have it available but you also want to start an economy so how can that work? Its just the realization that all these people spent all this time developing/making things, and now suddenly a few people want to start over (those few people who it seems also get freebies, given free things to build with/etc...) just my 2 cents.

zomg, if you heard earlier

There will be no economy mod. We already have our own economy system going on in game that the rest of us have been doing since day one.

No one is going to lose their work, we are going to have 2 maps.....

We are not "starting over" we are getting a fresh map to play with ONTOP of our current one.

I guess that means your one of the ones that didn't listen and spread rumors?

If you recall, which by all the arguing we have you don't, this all started with me ASKING people what they wanted? did I ever one time until today, say even what we were going to do? NO...

I not one time said everyone HAD to start fresh only that it's an OPTION, this whole time was everyone talking about what they want, who's fault is it besides your own or whoever that listens to someone that's not ME on what will happen to the server?

Hell ask rampage, he's one of the few that actually listen to what I say, he hasn't complained or mentioned anything because he knows what's going on.

I stated 100% for the record here, when 1.8 comes out we'll decide what we do, is it out yet? NO, but were we forced into making a choice earlier then planned? YES, WHY? because of people like you that don't listen, in order to keep people from freaking out.

IF ANYONE, has any questions or fears or anything about the server, feel free to ask them HERE so that I can answer them in front of everyone so that way maybe there won't be any confusion...

FAQ:

Q: Are we losing the map?
A: NO

Q: Do we have to start over?

Q: Will I lose everything?

Q: Am I making as ass of my self for listening to others that obviously have no idea WTF is going on, when I should of asked the person that is actually running the server?

A: YES

I didnt spread rumors its just very hard to understand whats going on... people keep saying different things. I assumed, based on your response to me earlier in the thread, there would be a new map for 1.8 and the old map would still be on there... but then someone said something about economy and how we couldnt just warp to the old map and bring back our items to the new map... it gets very confusing.

I didnt spread rumors its just very hard to understand whats going on... people keep saying different things. I assumed, based on your response to me earlier in the thread, there would be a new map for 1.8 and the old map would still be on there... but then someone said something about economy and how we couldnt just warp to the old map and bring back our items to the new map... it gets very confusing.

Your problem is EXACTLY what he said in his post, "people keep saying different things." Listen to the ONE person who runs the server.

THe only things I have been saying are EXACTLY WHAT HES BEEN SAYING!!!!!!

Unfortunatly, due to everyone having a TISSY (im looking at YOU!) we had to force a quick decision today to figure out what was going to have the LEAST amount of backlash from everyone.

Personally after 1.8 I see a lot of people going their own ways no matter what we try to do...

Yep. And there's really no problem with that. Can't please everyone, and the big new version will probably get several people interested in playing again anyway.

I do wonder why so many people expect their builds to persist until the end of time though... can't keep an unlimited number of worlds going. Even with a 1.8 world, what happens if a 2.0 world requires a new world? Do we turn off HC1, or 1.8-Land? A lot of people won't really feel like building in 1.8 if they know its going to be first on the chopping block when decision time comes. But, this has all been decided so, heh. Whatever happens, happens I guess. :p

it's because everyone keeps throwing out idea of things we COULD do, but this causes people to get facts mixed wait who said this? I saw that said? but I thought he said this?

if we start a NEW server (you've understood this) then we can do an iConomy system along with things related to iconomy, like a pay to repair you stuff, no more diamonds needed to repair your stuff, just pay and repaired. Things like that, the nether would be fixed because of the fresh start.
I could remove the multimap plugin and remove some resource usage because of it.
but you wouldn't be able to bring the resources you have now, or no chat/warp between servers.

if we keep the current as a secondary, and use 1.8 for primary, you get to bring your resources to the new map if you like, or stay with your current project and just explore the 1.8 map... there would be no iConomy support because of the "freebies" that have happened on the current map. The nether would remain "broken" because of the portal issues we have. (the multi map plugin is part of the issue) but things can continue as they are now for the most part.

neither option says anyone loses anything, but because there was so much confusion and people freaking out about losing their stuff and wanting to leave (some might say they never seen it, well that's also because that same "some" doesn't get in the game much.) We are forced to choose now for the multimap option before 1.8 came out.

I'm hoping Insom comes through with the server, would be great to get stuff rolling on a better internet connection, not 100% sure what hardware will be used yet but we'll see when we get there. If nothing else we'd be able to hold more people in game at one time. Then I can drop my internet connection back down to what it was before lol :-P

it's because everyone keeps throwing out idea of things we COULD do, but this causes people to get facts mixed wait who said this? I saw that said? but I thought he said this?

if we start a NEW server (you've understood this) then we can do an iConomy system along with things related to iconomy, like a pay to repair you stuff, no more diamonds needed to repair your stuff, just pay and repaired. Things like that, the nether would be fixed because of the fresh start.
I could remove the multimap plugin and remove some resource usage because of it.
but you wouldn't be able to bring the resources you have now, or no chat/warp between servers.

if we keep the current as a secondary, and use 1.8 for primary, you get to bring your resources to the new map if you like, or stay with your current project and just explore the 1.8 map... there would be no iConomy support because of the "freebies" that have happened on the current map. The nether would remain "broken" because of the portal issues we have. (the multi map plugin is part of the issue) but things can continue as they are now for the most part.

neither option says anyone loses anything, but because there was so much confusion and people freaking out about losing their stuff and wanting to leave (some might say they never seen it, well that's also because that same "some" doesn't get in the game much.) We are forced to choose now for the multimap option before 1.8 came out.

I'm hoping Insom comes through with the server, would be great to get stuff rolling on a better internet connection, not 100% sure what hardware will be used yet but we'll see when we get there. If nothing else we'd be able to hold more people in game at one time. Then I can drop my internet connection back down to what it was before lol :-P

2x Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz (these are quad cores)
16GB DDR
5x 18.2GB U160 SCSI
Running Windows Server 2008 R2, no additional addons or plugins, just straight file server, so will be no skin off my back to make it a server.

I'm not seeing how that's an "option" it's just a folder, anyone can have it... everyone who has asked for a copy I said sure...

But I see the only thing that doing is making more people play SSP and not play SMP lol

could i get a copy of the original hardcraft map? with my castle!?!

pretty please?

Give me a place to put it, my webspace is controlled by nick. It would be a few hundred MBs zipped.

Unless its ok with him

i have a dropbox but i'm not sure how to share it with someone

Place the files in your "public" folder, then right click and "copy public link" is the easiest way.
Or just go to dropbox.com put all the files into a folder and click "share a folder" and follow the steps, sending the link to whoevers email account.

Place the files in your "public" folder, then right click and "copy public link" is the easiest way.
Or just go to dropbox.com put all the files into a folder and click "share a folder" and follow the steps, sending the link to whoevers email account.

He meant sharing it so someone else can upload to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back