The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Haven't played close attention to this game much. I have a few questions please;

- Max level cap in the game ?

- Is it truly open ended world like WoW, can wander off and go anywhere you please ? I did not like Guild Wars 1 with their "invisible" fences blocking off vast areas of the game, and no fucking space bar to jump in GW1 ? WTF :rolleyes:

- Can you just solo play to level up and have fun ? or is group questing a must ? And is the leveling process story driven, and gear acquired through quest rewards ?

- I heard there are no mounts in Guild Wars 2 ? How do you get around the huge zones quickly ? Or lets say just want to get to middle of map, and not use a flight path, just a quick mount ?

Every game doesn't have to be like WoW. I loved GW just the way it was. I hated WoW. I'm quite happy GW wasn't anything like WoW.

Every game doesn't have to be like WoW. I loved GW just the way it was. I hated WoW. I'm quite happy GW wasn't anything like WoW.

I liked the first Guild Wars too when it came out, it was very different to me since I never really got into EQ and Lineage, etc. But I have to say that I had a ton more fun with WoW, and met a lot more people. The best thing about Guild Wars was the missions that you could do with a buddy or two, just felt very story driven (because it was) and made you feel important, whereas with WoW, you were a small part of a big thing, generally.

I liked the first Guild Wars too when it came out, it was very different to me since I never really got into EQ and Lineage, etc. But I have to say that I had a ton more fun with WoW, and met a lot more people. The best thing about Guild Wars was the missions that you could do with a buddy or two, just felt very story driven (because it was) and made you feel important, whereas with WoW, you were a small part of a big thing, generally.

Well, I'm a little saddened that GW 2 is going to more like WoW than I had ever expected. I'm sure I'll still play GW 2, but I already feel a bit dissapointed at how much they've changed GW 2 compared to the original. I just don't care for most of the new changes honestly. I'm sure they're trying to steal WoW players though since its starting to die and people are looking for their next MMO to start.

Well, I'm a little saddened that GW 2 is going to more like WoW than I had ever expected. I'm sure I'll still play GW 2, but I already feel a bit dissapointed at how much they've changed GW 2 compared to the original. I just don't care for most of the new changes honestly. I'm sure they're trying to steal WoW players though since its starting to die and people are looking for their next MMO to start.

Maybe "on the way" to death, but it's nowhere NEAR close to dying. There's always a minute lull when an expansion is around the corner, always happens, but they still have a mind-boggling amount of players subscribed and online.

I wish they had the missions in GW2 still, that'd make me want to indefinitely buy it. As of right now, it's maybe a coin toss for me at best.

What aspect of GW2 is like WOW that you don't like?

I wish they had the missions in GW2 still, that'd make me want to indefinitely buy it. As of right now, it's maybe a coin toss for me at best.
The missions got turned into your personal story line.

The missions got turned into your personal story line.

Yep, I was about to say that. Everyone has their own section in their main town that is instanced and evolves as you progress in the personal story. Also all the quests for it are instanced and you can bring people into them. They are supposedly to be long too. I don't think I have read anything about the length but I would assume they go all the way to 80. Can anyone confirm that?

EDIT:

Also, this is a pretty funny part of that interview with Colin Johanson.

Sometimes we get feedback for which the amount of work required to fix it just isn’t worthwhile, but we’ll at least embrace and poke fun at it. For example, some of the crop sprinklers in the human lands are located in square crop fields, but the sprinklers only spray in a circular pattern. Ian Yonika, one of our insanely talented animators, pointed this out at one point. We were past the point where it was worth the amount of time it would take to change it, and it’s a pretty tiny detail, so rather than change the game, we added “Farmer Ian” to the game. If you talk to Farmer Ian, you’ll notice his conversation very closely resembles the post Ian left in our developer forums about why the sprinklers don’t make sense. Thanks, Ian!

Last edited:
How big is the beta? I'm sure I've got enough space left on my SSD @ 40 GBs but...you know. Paranoia. Heh.

Any official [H] guilds on launch? Otherwise, group of 4-7 of us will likely take up another bigger guild.

What is with the icons for the files for both GW1 and GW2 having lock icons? I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of them, even after much googling for the issue (including this thread).

Any official [H] guilds on launch? Otherwise, group of 4-7 of us will likely take up another bigger guild.

None of my friends are going to play this so I'm stuck solo. If you need another drop me a line, we might be able to get our own little [H] guild going if all else fails.

Got a free key from Alienware, whoo! Looking forward to trying this out this weekend.

Game must be monstrous in size, though. I'm at 15% and it's downloaded like 3 GB so far. :eek:

Got a free key from Alienware, whoo! Looking forward to trying this out this weekend.

Game must be monstrous in size, though. I'm at 15% and it's downloaded like 3 GB so far. :eek:

My GW2 folder is 15.6gb after updating yesterday. I've got both machines ready to go and prepurchased my daughters copy as well. I also managed to snag a key off IGN for an on the fence buddy last night, so my work is done...bring on the weekend!

the game is 26GB. this build has more content than the trade show demos but it's offset by the total lack of high resolution textures and many other graphical effects. the demos are about 14GB in size and it's just like 3 zones and conquest mode but it's got all the texture work and graphical fixings.

Hello, if I am in the EU and my friend is in the US can we still play together in this upcoming beta weekend? He has an US beta key and I have an EU beta key.

Hello, if I am in the EU and my friend is in the US can we still play together in this upcoming beta weekend? He has an US beta key and I have an EU beta key.

pretty sure it's a matter of choosing the same server. and they've said that beta keys are not region locked.

Do you have an Alienware rig? I got my laptop not too long ago (in sig.) and I didn't get any keys! :(

So how do you guys like the game so far? Is it fresh and enjoyable gameplay-wise? I have played SWTOR and got bored before I reached lvl 30. I have also played Lotro and the combat was pretty boring (even though I have tried really hard because I love the books). I have also played Age of Conan and I enjoyed the combat there but when I hit lvl 80 there was not much left to do except raid grind. I have never played WOW. So I am looking forward to GW2 but I am not too optimistic.

I personally think GW1 was better and i do not enjoy GW2 as much as i thought i would. The direction they took to make this more "mainstream" isn't a good one imho.

TSW on the other hand....that's more innovative.

So how do you guys like the game so far? Is it fresh and enjoyable gameplay-wise? I have played SWTOR and got bored before I reached lvl 30. I have also played Lotro and the combat was pretty boring (even though I have tried really hard because I love the books). I have also played Age of Conan and I enjoyed the combat there but when I hit lvl 80 there was not much left to do except raid grind. I have never played WOW. So I am looking forward to GW2 but I am not too optimistic.

If you have played all those MMO's, and not WoW, you should give WoW a shot at least, Wait till the new expansion releases in the next couple of months, you will be pleasantly surprised, WoW is a fun game leveling up from 1 - 90. I quit last year, but when the game world is brand new to you, it is a cool game, sure the graphics are dated, but the atmosphere is really enticing.

If you have played all those MMO's, and not WoW, you should give WoW a shot at least, Wait till the new expansion releases in the next couple of months, you will be pleasantly surprised, WoW is a fun game leveling up from 1 - 90. I quit last year, but when the game world is brand new to you, it is a cool game, sure the graphics are dated, but the atmosphere is really enticing.

I have to agree, been playing since Vanilla, and I'm still logging on frequently to mess around and play with a few friends. It's easily the best money I've spent in the past few years, even went as far as to do the Annual Pass, still thinking I'd grow tired of the game at some point, but it has me logging on at least a few times a week to do some achievements, or level. Plus when the expansion comes out, it's a whole different ball game (perspective varying of course).

very good. i would try WoW though, definitely better than most other mmo's these days as many are very bad copies or either worse off in their own way.

there's a decent amount of GW players that don't like that the sequel is not a straight clone but keep in mind every competing mmo was said to be better and more innovative(yes, for sure) from what people saw and played(public trade shows since 2010) including Rift, FFXIV, SWTOR, TERA, etc.(only in about a 30 day span though) GW2 is pretty good all in all, and most people are happy with it.

in summary it's good, try WoW out anyway, make your own mind up. if you have an account on OCN then get in on this while you can.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1282011/freebie-guild-wars-2-beta-keys/0_50

Back