The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

"buy" it on amazon, cancel, try all beta tests for free.

This is what im tempted to do.

Also, will people quit going on about Arenanets "great track record"... They dont have a track record at all this is their first real MMORPG EVER...

In fact they have made one game EVER. I see it everywhere all over the web "dont worry anet has an awesome track record" and i cant help but roll my eyes.

Thats not to say they are a bad developer and they do listen to the community (not necessarily a good thing at all) but i just dont see this track record people are going on and on about.

Also, will people quit going on about Arenanets "great track record"... They dont have a track record at all this is their first real MMORPG EVER...

In fact they have made one game EVER. I see it everywhere all over the web "dont worry anet has an awesome track record" and i cant help but roll my eyes.

Thats not to say they are a bad developer and they do listen to the community (not necessarily a good thing at all) but i just dont see this track record people are going on and on about.

Google, "Guild Wars". Also, I'm sorry, as I do not know what you consider a real MMORPG, but GW1 is considered a real MMORPG. :confused:

Also, check out what:
Mike O'Brien has done (president of ArenaNet)
Patrick Wyatt has done (co-founder)
and Jeff Strain has done (co-founder).

"The founders of ArenaNet were former employees of Blizzard Entertainment who played important roles in developing the highly successful video games Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Diablo II, and the Battle.net gaming network"

I think it's safe to say they have an outstanding track record. ;) I can understand your frustration/hesitation though, Disposed, as I previously said "It's quite easy to be wary of any upcoming MMOs since lately they've been pretty disappointing (IMO)". :)

rofl, many of them worked on games we played in the past such as asheron's call 2, DAoC, WoW, SC, diablo, etc. mike O'Brien, Jeff Strain and James Phinney have had major influence on WoW, SC, and Diablo...i believe they still use much of the net code mike obrien wrote mostly by himself.

also they DO have a good track record, so get over it. they're very good with listening to feedback and fixing things. they have a successful online game that while not structured as a MMO is still more played than most mmo's today.

boo fucking hoo on your 2 cents. for example, compared to the current shell of bioware they have an excellent track record, both personnel in their individual careers AND the company. six months for 2 out of 10 major quality of life fixes while GW2 got several from one month to the next and they plan more. the Anet team is mostly seasoned MMO/MOBA/RPG/RTS/FPS devs from many famous and beloved games that are almost all highly successful and critically acclaimed.

you're too stuck on the company label. these people, these developers have among the best track records in their business. bioware has made many games, and EA canned most of the guys from the old days and their MMO was made by the black sheep of EA Mythic + community college students for whom swtor was their first game....that's a bad/no track record. sure the company has technically made many games, but the people actually doing the creating...yea.

what you just whined about is equal to saying that Matt Frior has no track record at all because he's now heading up a brand new mmo studio Zenimax Online.

Last edited:
latest round of "leaks":

http://pastebin.com/7W07Ltg8 - supposed build changes
http://pastebin.com/iBz1YjeQ - supposed build changes
http://imgur.com/a/4F1Wn#0 - bunch of data mined pics of items
http://imgur.com/a/9mHRW#0 - sylvari zone pics

- apparently they are coming along well with optimization in the sylvari zone except for the grove at this time(this is likely true, lines up with the actually confirmed leak preceding last BWE)

- first person view has been added to the dev server, quite buggy though.

Google, "Guild Wars". Also, I'm sorry, as I do not know what you consider a real MMORPG, but GW1 is considered a real MMORPG. :confused:
. :)

Guild Wars 1 is not a real mmorpg, mainly because it lacks the "massive" part of an mmo.

Guild Wars 1, unlike "mmorpgs" uses a "hub" system for it's cities, (Similar to the hub of battle.net's lobbies and things, just graphical) whereas the actual gameplay aspects, questing, pvp, etc is all instanced and restricted to a limited number of players.

That's what makes GW1 not an mmo. If it's an mmo then so is Diablo 1 and 2, and many other games that use "hub" systems.

Guild Wars 2 on the other hand isn't like this, it's no longer a "hub" for cities and a limited small player number for the actual questing area's/pvp, rather now you have true mmo open world with an actual "massive" population of other players, thus it's a true mmorpg now.

GW1 is not in any way an MMORPG. Even arenanet said its not. Theres no MMO aspect to it because it was all instanced. If GW1 is considered an MMO then the diablo series may as well be called an MMO as well.

It was not an online persistent world it was a game with persistent towns (to an extent) but once you left town you're pretty much all by yourself or your group. Theres no MMO aspect to it outside of towns and even the towns where channeled off.

The first thing that needs to be said is that Guild Wars is not an MMO. There's a lot of misunderstanding going around, but GW is an online RPG that blends elements from Diablo-style online multiplayer, while integrating some MMO elements. The cities and certain dungeon entrances are basically hubs, but once you exit those areas for the wide expanses of desert, rolling hills, and snowy mountains, you'll be flying solo, most of the time.

First few sentences from the IGN review in 2005 sum it up pretty well.

And again i will say it, they have NO FUCKING TRACK RECORD. None of the people mentioned to "prove me wrong" have a lick of experience in the MMORPG genre and none of them had anything to do with WoW, DAOC or Asherons call. Many of the developers may have come from other MMOs but that dont mean a fucking thing when the leadership of the company has no experience in the genre.

So tired of the fucking fanboys and their cute imaginations here. Half of you where doing the same whit with SWTOR, RIFT etc. etc...:rolleyes: making shit up, stretching the truth and outright blinding yourselves to glaring issues in the game.

all those fanboys under his bed, leave him alone! all those fanboys in his cupboard, get out of there! shoo!

so tired of everything yet keep coming for seconds and thirds.

Mike O' Brien wrote lots of net code at blizzard(and apparently was the main brain behind battle.net), some of it still in use by them right now, jeff strain was THE lead programmer on World of Warcraft, jeff grubb STILL writes for blizzard, james phinney(along with chris metzen) created starcraft.

EDIT: oh yea, Mike Ferguson was one of the designers on RvR content for DAoC and Darkness Falls was one of his first projects there, Chris Lye was in a similar position in Asheron's Call 2 as he is now, Colin Johanson another DAoC designer, it goes on and on.

Last edited:
Guild Wars 1 is not a real mmorpg, mainly because it lacks the "massive" part of an mmo..

yea, GW was not a MMO. ArenaNet even says so.

GW1 is not in any way an MMORPG. Even arenanet said its not. Theres no MMO aspect to it because it was all instanced. If GW1 is considered an MMO then the diablo series may as well be called an MMO as well.

Yeah, I take that back. I started to think of that after I made my post.

And again i will say it, they have NO FUCKING TRACK RECORD. None of the people mentioned to "prove me wrong" have a lick of experience in the MMORPG genre and none of them had anything to do with WoW, DAOC or Asherons call. Many of the developers may have come from other MMOs but that dont mean a fucking thing when the leadership of the company has no experience in the genre.

So tired of the fucking fanboys and their cute imaginations here. Half of you where doing the same whit with SWTOR, RIFT etc. etc...:rolleyes: making shit up, stretching the truth and outright blinding yourselves to glaring issues in the game.

Good lord, man. You're not making yourself look any better here. I am sorry you've had a bad day, but no reason to come to the forums and take it out on us. :D

Could you please mentioned these "glaring issues" you have towards the game? Trying to turn this back into discussion instead of your inane rambling. ;)

It was not an online persistent world it was a game with persistent towns (to an extent) but once you left town you're pretty much all by yourself or your group. Theres no MMO aspect to it outside of towns and even the towns where channeled off.

Exaggerate much?

Someone is mad

After playing the beta weekend, I am looking forward to this game. The just need to performance worked out, it runs horribly on my system....

While I thought it was fun it did get repetitive and boring after awhile. Running around waiting for crap to happend felt very unorganized and souless. I can't put my finger on it but maybe I'm burnt out on mmorpgs.

blah blah

It's been interesting reading your criticisms and concerns.

Personally, you seem like you have very high expectations and not just in terms of quality (I hope we all have that) but in terms of expecting Arenanet to adhere to certain conventions and traditions and deliver a game that meets the expectations of the hard core MMO crowd - the people with history in the genre.

I think you are almost guaranteed to be disappointed and have these expectations go unmet.

Personally, I prefer FPS games, but I still consider GW1 to be my favorite game ever (tied with Tribes 1). GW2 is really different, but I've decided to enjoy the game they make rather than look at it through the lens of what I want them to make.

I saw the Tribes community go through what I think you're going through now. What they really always wanted was the original game, just modern graphics. What actually happened was more like someone played that "telegraph" party game and relayed the description of the original game through about 10 people by word of mouth, and then tried to make a game based on the garbled, misunderstand results.

The end result of this process is that the "new" game emphasizes things the original community didn't care about, eliminates the subtle aspects of the meta game and dumbs every thing down to give it "broad appeal".

This is how we end up with monstrosities like Tribes:Vengeance and I think every group of fans has some abomination they can point to and shudder and say "don't do what they did"

Easy there, sir... p.s. what glaring issues with Rift? They're alive and well... swtor isn't. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it sucks, son.

While I thought it was fun it did get repetitive and boring after awhile. Running around waiting for crap to happend felt very unorganized and souless. I can't put my finger on it but maybe I'm burnt out on mmorpgs.

Maybe the problem is that you went in heavy on expectations. In the end MMORPG are all the same :) .

There some very nice things happening in GW2 but that does not mean it is a "solution" for everything. I have a friend from AoC which is a grumpy person he was underwhelmed as well from the start until he started playing alongside some of us.
The dynamic scalable encounters are very fast and very much a good thing in this game.

I also find it that "most" rants are based on current beta performance where there is a lot to be done, Arenanet prolly are a few weeks to a month ahead of what they allow us to play.

^ i think he likes the hand holding and front loaded quests of traditional them parks vs exploring and having no set path.

I love it when people do absolutely no research, shout in absolutes and ask to be proven wrong, and subsequently look like ignorant douchebags.

I hate to be 'that guy' here, but I only know some tidbits of info, and that's from people who have been following the game (though how well, I don't know). Please correct me if anything is out of scope, but is the second game shaping up to be anything similar to the first one? By that, I mean are there "mission" like the first one had? Those were a big reason for me having played the first game + expansions so long. I'm also understanding that it's an open world, similar to WoW and LotRO? Those of you in the Beta, how are you finding it in terms of dullness-to-fun? Is it shaping up to be a great game? Would you quit "Insert MMO here" for when GW2 comes out? If so, why? If not, why not? Appreciate the answers.

I love it when people do absolutely no research, shout in absolutes and ask to be proven wrong, and subsequently look like ignorant douchebags.

Agreed, I love it too. I literally laughed so hard after seeing this exchange:

"Wahhh they have no experience, they didn't work on WoW. Why do you say such lies?!"

[Skizzy links to site referencing his point...]

"That's IMAGINATIVE AND ISN'T RIGHT. YOU FANBOY."

Please correct me if anything is out of scope, but is the second game shaping up to be anything similar to the first one? By that, I mean are there "mission" like the first one had? Those were a big reason for me having played the first game + expansions so long

It has a storyline, and it has "hearts" (locations on the map to go and complete tasks) for people who like quests to tell them where to go. The key about this game is the event system and how events just pop up when you are nearby - you don't necessarily need to get a quest to do these. It makes things a little more dynamic.

See this real good video for the system in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

Those of you in the Beta, how are you finding it in terms of dullness-to-fun? Is it shaping up to be a great game? Would you quit "Insert MMO here" for when GW2 comes out? If so, why? If not, why not? Appreciate the answers.

I pre-purchased directly from ArenaNet and have gotten 30 hours from the two betas so far. Worth the money? I think so. Is it shaping to be a great game? Yes. I think so. Take a look at some of the major criticisms in BWE1 and in BWE2, the game's issues were improved upon. They are identifying issues with the community very well. I am not tied to a MMO currently so I have none to quit.

Last edited:
I hate to be 'that guy' here, but I only know some tidbits of info, and that's from people who have been following the game (though how well, I don't know). Please correct me if anything is out of scope, but is the second game shaping up to be anything similar to the first one? By that, I mean are there "mission" like the first one had? Those were a big reason for me having played the first game + expansions so long. I'm also understanding that it's an open world, similar to WoW and LotRO? Those of you in the Beta, how are you finding it in terms of dullness-to-fun? Is it shaping up to be a great game? Would you quit "Insert MMO here" for when GW2 comes out? If so, why? If not, why not? Appreciate the answers.

- nothing like guild wars which has upset alot of people, and also enticed alot of people.

- dullness to fun part is highly subjective. no excessive guidance can often make one feel lost or bored if thirteen minutes go by without finding a quest. also anyone looking for a WoW style game will be put off from the jump. if you liked games with exploration then this is a good fit. all i can say is go the amazon route and try it yourself, don't let a fanboy nor a hater put the opinion in your head.

i myself haven't even bought it yet, though that's a matter of principal(paying for betas or buying games before they come out is something i don't do). i miss alot of things from GW, like alot of things i see in GW2 as well(don't like others). i'm even a fan of the EQ/WoW style mmo too, but i simply don't expect every mmo to copy that in addition to being somewhat tired of the treadmill.

couldn't answer what mmo i'm quitting since i haven't played one since i quit WoW(i don't count betas).

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, appreciate the feedback, looks like it might be worth it, especially since I have some people close to me that are interested in it. Reason I ask is because I'm in the WoW MoP Beta at the moment, and it looks like I may be purchasing that come Fall as well, to play very casually of course. Also on top of that, I'm currently also getting back into WoW (after a few months of being too busy to play). If another MMO would happen to knock that out of the way, that'd be all the merrier.

Thanks fellas, appreciate the feedback, looks like it might be worth it, especially since I have some people close to me that are interested in it. Reason I ask is because I'm in the WoW MoP Beta at the moment, and it looks like I may be purchasing that come Fall as well, to play very casually of course. Also on top of that, I'm currently also getting back into WoW (after a few months of being too busy to play). If another MMO would happen to knock that out of the way, that'd be all the merrier.

Well, one good thing is that you shouldn't really "fall behind" your friends if you only play GW2 casually as the gear progression is mostly cosmetic.

Well, one good thing is that you shouldn't really "fall behind" your friends if you only play GW2 casually as the gear progression is mostly cosmetic.

Gear progression being cosmetic, explain? Not sure I'm understanding too well. :confused:

^ i think he likes the hand holding and front loaded quests of traditional them parks vs exploring and having no set path.

Why not both? I love exploring very much. For example, I remember riding around on my jet bike in Star Wars Galaxies and taking in the vistas. I even deliberately put my house far away just to explore some things along the way.

GW2 vistas are pretty but it seems synthetic and lifeless. Even WOW with its cartoony graphics seemed to have more personality. Its just my opinion, i'm not trying to tell anybody they are right or wrong. Personally i'm going to skip this.

Why not both? I love exploring very much. For example, I remember riding around on my jet bike in Star Wars Galaxies and taking in the vistas. I even deliberately put my house far away just to explore some things along the way.

GW2 vistas are pretty but it seems synthetic and lifeless. Even WOW with its cartoony graphics seemed to have more personality. Its just my opinion, i'm not trying to tell anybody they are right or wrong. Personally i'm going to skip this.

The cartoony graphics combined with Blizzard's attention to detail were why it had so much personality. I felt the same way during WoW's beta, and it was one of the things I really liked about it. But I would say in my experience few MMO's compare to WoW in that area.

And I love exploring as well, but I don't remember much from SWG that stood out when I did. That game had some really strong points but the world itself was kind of bland.

GW2's world seems pretty alive/interesting to me compared to a lot of MMO's out there, as this video details,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c&feature=plcp

Last edited:
Gear progression being cosmetic, explain? Not sure I'm understanding too well. :confused:

It looks like they will maintain the system from GW1 where max stat items are very easy to acquire - you don't need to grind (since they don't need you to keep subscribing).

So basically you can get plain looking items that function identically to the elite items, but the difference is that the rare/elite items will look amazing.

i don't think words are being used properly here.

for example, most good mmo's nail the "life" and "soul" things down. GW2 definitely does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wMif0m-YwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm6RqOnIAZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JY8VGiLQ7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPjwHqc2ZII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyqGJHTjes

NPC's out in the zones and cities move around, speak, fight, argue, work, play, etc. it's objectively one of the most lively games to date and that's not my opinion. not to mention fully dynamic weather and there's wildlife pretty much everywhere.

you probably don't like the atmosphere, aesthetics or as mentioned before the lack of a set path with clear goals and tasks that you don't need to search for which is all fine and good. this won't be something that everyone enjoys, but lifeless and synthetic are best reserved for games like the old republic and APB. those words don't describe this game(well to some extent synthetic describes just about every game).

The "mission" system no longer exists. The closest thing is probably the personal stories.

It's "open world"... probably most similar to AoC actually. WOW was truly "seamless" while GW2 has portals to different zones at the borders of each zone. You could very well be instanced into an overflow portion of a zone if there are too many players, so it's not exactly like WOW, but certainly very much "open" compared to the first game.

The content in the beta has been very good so far.

It looks like they will maintain the system from GW1 where max stat items are very easy to acquire - you don't need to grind (since they don't need you to keep subscribing).

So basically you can get plain looking items that function identically to the elite items, but the difference is that the rare/elite items will look amazing.

there is definitely a little more reliance on gear in GW2, it's not a gear treadmill though with power creep at max level. there's mostly cosmetic differences between max gear, but you can have some lvl 35 armor that's flat out better and makes you stronger(my mace i got from the dungeon runs was better than a vendor mace of equal level requirement). also you'd have things like runes and sigils making more of a difference between two given players since they have powers and effects attached.

EDIT: an addition to the above post. the overflow are not like channels form guild wars, they allow players who would otherwise be in a queue at the log in screen to play, it's not like the game creates these every 100-200 people in the zone like say swtor, aion, etc. people from all three servers in the WvW group are put into the same overflow. this mechanic doesn't work with WvW pvp however.

I'm not 100% on the end game gear... but it looks to be a little bit more varied than GW1.

Just browsing karma vendors (there are also karma vendors for the level 80 stuff in town btw) and looking at the pvp gear gives a little insight on itemization at 80.

And of course while leveling, there are some items that are much stronger for their level than others. The basic "white" items you get from vendors every (5?) levels looks to be the base items for that level. I've had plenty of items I've found that were lower level but better than those.

There also seems to be less of a focus on how "good" an item is overall vs. what stats it specializes in. Just messing around with the PvP gear vendor gives you an idea of just how much you can tweak stats on your items to stack a certain stat over others.

That wasn't totally true.

Max-damage items were easy to acquire, but not with high +% damage. IIRC, the max was 20% + 25% if you wanted to personalize it.

The 20% items were extremely rare and were worth a lot.

That wasn't totally true.

Max-damage items were easy to acquire, but not with high +% damage. IIRC, the max was 20% + 25% if you wanted to personalize it.

The 20% items were extremely rare and were worth a lot.

Initially, this was true.

When you found a weapon and identified it, it had a number of stats and it was hard to find a max stats weapon with a low skill requirement.

I actually made a few million gold in GW1 as an item trader - that's how I managed to buy my Obsidian armor.

However, around the time Nightfall was released, they changed the item system - the separated items and mods and made everything upgradeable. This made the weapons market crash very quickly (I lost a lot just trying to divest my inventory) because once you had a weapon skin you liked, you could salvage the mods off a crappy item and put them on your rare/elite skin item and you were all set.

The perfect salvage kits let you remove mods without risking item destruction.

This had the effect of severely democratizing the weapon market but Arena went on to add things like rare pets and transmog potions so there was never a lack of things to spend your ecto stacks on...

so now the two month stretch of optimization and final tweaking begins. i'm not gonna buy until they can show ranger pet AI is working though. no reason necro minions can follow you fine and attack every time you're in combat and ranger pet's don't half the time.

Release date is good news. With all of these stress tests, I do hope they are thoroughly prepared for the demand :) *coughdiablo3cough*

Back