The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Hearts (the NPCs you help out and later they become Karma vendors) are apparently totally separate from the 1,500 Dynamic Events according to a post on gw2guru.

The renown hearts are a separate system and not counted in the tally when we talk about there being over 1500 unique dynamic events in Guild Wars 2. On top of the 1500+ dynamic events in Gw2, there are hundreds of renown hearts available as well.

These are two separate systems that compliment one another in a number of different ways, but we do not include renown hearts in the count when we talk about total events in the game.

Jesus, that's a lot of content.

Another post on gw2guru regarding Meta Events.

Just wanted to pop in and clarify a little bit:

There are:

Renown Hearts (by Anthony Ordon on KillTenRats)
http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/01/20/gw2-just-play/

Meta-Events: (See halfway down by Devon Carver)
http://www.arena.net/blog/beta-development-update

Dynamic Events, Personal Story, Dungeons, etc.
You know that stuff!

In the beta weekend, there were generally 2 or more large meta dynamic event chains in each of the maps available. These meta event chains are made up of usually in the ballpark of 5-20+ events chaining and branching in various different directions. They stand out because even if no events are currently running, you'll see unique UI for them that tells you the state of the world as a result of the events that occurred in the area.

Meta events generally have the largest amount of world impact of any event chains, making large sweeping changes to huge chunks of a map in the world. Dynamic events have varying impact from small (new merchant who sells stuff) to massive (explosions!!) depending on the scope and important of the event.

You'll find the early part of the game tends to be a bit easier to help guide people into the game and not overwhelm them at first. There are optional much harder areas available in those maps for folks looking for larger challenges, and group events even in the starter maps as well designed to be a larger challenge. As you progress through the game, you'll encounter more and more meta events, group events, and the difficulty ramps up. Along the way, you'll encounter more events that have larger branches along their failure chains as well.

Also a bonus tip, after any dynamic event (or event chain) it's always a good idea to follow the key NPC's or investigate the area after the event has been completed. If you don't run off, you'll often times find they build new buildings, setup stores, build defenses, kick off new events (after some dialogue), repair broken things, build siege weapons, change the weather, have new spawns appear/change, and more as a result of dynamic events concluding.

The range of affect on each events varies on a case by case basis, if you get the rabbits out of the melon field the farmers daughter opens a store and sells watermelon and lucky rabbits feet. If you participate in the meta event chain to drive into centaur lands near Beetletun, you open up merchants who find centaur weapons and sell them, conquer centaur lands causing centaurs to stop spawning in the area, open up safe paths for caravans to travel to Beetletun and more!

It's always good to look around after an event and see what happened, there is often more than on first glance you'd think.

Hope that helps a bit,
Colin

Also, this picture has been floating around. A shot of the Auction House, or I guess Trading Post. (Click for bigger picture)

Last edited:
Hearts (the NPCs you help out and later they become Karma vendors) are apparently totally separate from the 1,500 Dynamic Events according to a post on gw2guru.

Jesus, that's a lot of content.

Another post on gw2guru regarding Meta Events.

Also, this picture has been floating around. A shot of the Auction House, or I guess Trading Post. (Click for bigger picture)

Yeah... :).

I saw a second Trading Post picture too, it had some pretty nice options.

EDIT: Found:

W2pNQ.jpg

It says it's going to be a load test, which likely means a large number of invites... nice silver lining there :).

Man the map is SOOOOO graceful. God TOR is such a piece of shit compared to this game. It's like TOR inherited all of the bland and copy and paste GUI from all of the crap MMOS's that have ever come out or something. GW2 is just looking so god damn better in the GUI department and not to mention the rest of the game.

Anyone wannt buy SWTOR account lol?

the atmosphere of this game is flat out amazing, especially if you're coming off swtor.

Man the map is SOOOOO graceful. God TOR is such a piece of shit compared to this game. It's like TOR inherited all of the bland and copy and paste GUI from all of the crap MMOS's that have ever come out or something. GW2 is just looking so god damn better in the GUI department and not to mention the rest of the game.

Sigh....this makes me wonder why I ever spent money on SWTOR.

Oh, definitely. I remember preordering swtor even after watching GW2 videos and asked myself why am I even pre-ordering this shit (swtor)? I wanted a filler game to play in the meantime before GW2 release though, and actually swtor only held me off for a month. :/

Sigh....this makes me wonder why I ever spent money on SWTOR.

Same here... I played the beta fairly early on (July 2010 phase, and May 2011 onward full-time) and by June was thinking how much it sucked. I returned to that again months later, hyped myself up due to hearing about Ilum being an open RVR area (which it turned out was ridiculously overstating everything about it), and dumped $150 into a Collector's Edition :(. They kept so much hidden even from full-time testers, in SWTOR's beta that it was absurd, and no one really knew how most of the things worked for endgame.

Still, Guild Wars 2, having been a 7-year DAOC lover, looks awesome... reminds me of it in so many ways, it has the scale, it has the RVR (WvWvW), etc. all in a more modern package. I can't wait for it :D! Graphics look like they'll be great on a high-end setup, the environments are very atmospheric and well-done, it's got PQ's/dynamic events, a proper UI, etc. etc.

I was out of town and missed the signups. Bummer.

This. (I was completely offline in vacation.)

That too... I mean, damn... :). $15/mo each account less :D.

This. Except I usually just use my dad's account since we have a 9 hour time difference. :)

SWTOR sent me a mail this morning begging me to log in again, I don't really have any interest to log in and gear grind so that I can PvP. Gonna cancel this month unless something amazing happens.

Still, Guild Wars 2, having been a 7-year DAOC lover, looks awesome... reminds me of it in so many ways, it has the scale, it has the RVR (WvWvW), etc. all in a more modern package. I can't wait for it :D! Graphics look like they'll be great on a high-end setup, the environments are very atmospheric and well-done, it's got PQ's/dynamic events, a proper UI, etc. etc.

This. The WWW battles look so much like the awesome moments of DAoC that I'm getting all riled up. Then I inject myself with the WAR sedative, then i remember its got no monthly fee and return to normal.

I have to say a big thank-you to the developers, they are really cool to allow footage videos and pictures to be openly released no problem. Means they are proud and confident of their game. But SW;ToR was crazy strict NDA even close to release.

I have to say a big thank-you to the developers, they are really cool to allow footage videos and pictures to be openly released no problem. Means they are proud and confident of their game. But SW;ToR was crazy strict NDA even close to release.

Is GW2 allowing that for everyone? I thought the footage we were seeing was just coming out of the "press beta" or something that they did. If everyone is allowed to post footage etc then that is very cool.

Holy thread title typo Batman.

Does anybody know when the beta testers from the ~1 million are selected? I'm very anxious to try this game out.

Is GW2 allowing that for everyone? I thought the footage we were seeing was just coming out of the "press beta" or something that they did. If everyone is allowed to post footage etc then that is very cool.

I am not sure exactly, but the beta event from last weekend I believe they allowed all that footage to have videos and pictures taken of it, and shown on YouTube freely, with no NDA's.

SW;ToR never allowed that during the big beta events, they were super strict.

I am not sure exactly, but the beta event from last weekend I believe they allowed all that footage to have videos and pictures taken of it, and shown on YouTube freely, with no NDA's.

SW;ToR never allowed that during the big beta events, they were super strict.

Probably because they knew TOR was terrible.

They're not. The upcoming tests that we just signed up for will have an NDA that doesn't even allow you to acknowledge that you are in them. While ArenaNet has been significantly more open about their development than BioWare in a lot of ways, less restriction on releasing information from regular alpha/beta (i.e., not special events for press or fan sites, which both games have now had) is not one of them.

What's odd about the press beta is that they were apparently allowed to make/release videos but not screenshots.

Holy thread title typo Batman.

Does anybody know when the beta testers from the ~1 million are selected? I'm very anxious to try this game out.

Next phase of beta is late March, so I imagine invites will go out middle of the month.

They're not. The upcoming tests that we just signed up for will have an NDA that doesn't even allow you to acknowledge that you are in them. While ArenaNet has been significantly more open about their development than BioWare in a lot of ways, less restriction on releasing information from regular alpha/beta (i.e., not special events for press or fan sites, which both games have now had) is not one of them.

What's odd about the press beta is that they were apparently allowed to make/release videos but not screenshots.

the NDA is up and in full swing, it was never lifted even. they allowed certain things to be recorded and talked about by select people, but this is still closed beta and the NDA is still on. Red 5 had a public event in dallas where people were playing firefall...game is still under NDA. Bioware allowed the press to talk about swtor about a month before launch in the same way that ArenaNet just had their press coverage(with the exception of Anet allowing way more details and allowing filming), but NDA remained.

allowing videos and such is not lifting an NDA, it's allowing videos and such.

I never said they lifted any NDA that may have already been in place, I just said that the future tests will have one. As for the press beta, not allowing screenshots is odd when you allow videos even if you're just creating a specific exception to the NDA.

Holy crap, I was assuming GW2 was gonna charge a fee per month or be F2P. And I was WILLING to pay for the game per month. Damn, this just gets better and better.

As I said earlier, anyone want to buy a SWTOR account :D

Sorry, this is a day late but a good read.

Jon Peters (Game Designer) on Traits and Attributes.
One sentence that really stuck with me was, "In competitive PvP, you have a separately saved trait build and can respec free of charge." Cool.

An unofficial trait calculator has been made as well. Keep in mind, s/he did say "Please note that the information is based off the wiki so there is a few traits missing and as more information comes out the tool will be updated."

One sentence that really stuck with me was, "In competitive PvP, you have a separately saved trait build and can respec free of charge." Cool.

An unofficial trait calculator has been made as well. Keep in mind, s/he did say "Please note that the information is based off the wiki so there is a few traits missing and as more information comes out the tool will be updated."

Man, i can't wait for this game. It's going to be fucking awesome!!!!!

SWTOR looks so utterly pale in comparison to GW2. Like a Ford Wagoneer with wood paneling versus a Nissan GTR.

SWTOR looks so utterly pale in comparison to GW2. Like a Ford Wagoneer with wood paneling versus a Nissan GTR.

SWTOR looks to have the complexity of Arkanoid (and graphics of such) compared to BattleField 3 64-player conquest, when you look at it next to GW2.

Thanks for the trait calc link, it's nice to play with...

Last edited:
We should make a petition asking them to release the game right now, even if its in beta state, I don't care, I only want to play it :)

I am so ready for a fresh new MMO. Been playing WoW for 7+ years, and totally burnt out. I can't even play it anymore, such a grind fest for gear. I don't even give a shit anymore. Feels like a job to stay on top of the best gear, and have zero interest in leveling up a new alt from Level 1 -85, no thanks. WoW is dead to me, a complete bore fest.

And I tried SW;ToR, seems to much like WoW in space, the level grind of go kill 10 of this, and then go back and collect 15 of that, rinse and repeat, I just can't play that style of MMO anymore.

No mounts ? Hmm, that is interesting. How do you get around the big massive landscape quickly ?

It has fast travel waypoints. I'm not sure how many there are, but imagine oblivion/skyrim fast travel with less places you can travel to.

Also, the way the questing works, you generally don't have to run across the map to kill x things at area y.

You just explore and come across events happening wherever you are at the moment.

Back