• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

prepurchased yesterday. i'll be looking forward to the 3 day headstart just to see what the numbers/population is like.
 
prepurchased yesterday. i'll be looking forward to the 3 day headstart just to see what the numbers/population is like.

It's looking like I will be travelling so will miss opening weekend and week. :mad:
 
Surprisingly, that poll is spread fairly evenly for both race and class.

well there hasnt been that many votes.. thats what sucks. its like 1 million people buy the game but only 17,997 voted on the race theyre gonna play. thats not even 1%

not a fair assessment unfortunately. id like to know the real numbers i like to play some of the less popular classes ;)
 
well there hasnt been that many votes.. thats what sucks. its like 1 million people buy the game but only 17,997 voted on the race theyre gonna play. thats not even 1%

not a fair assessment unfortunately. id like to know the real numbers i like to play some of the less popular classes ;)

18k is actually a decent sample size. I would be willing to bet the actual distribution will be pretty darn close to what the poll shows.
 
well there hasnt been that many votes.. thats what sucks. its like 1 million people buy the game but only 17,997 voted on the race theyre gonna play. thats not even 1%

not a fair assessment unfortunately. id like to know the real numbers i like to play some of the less popular classes ;)

every class poll taken is almost completely even split. race polls skew to human>asura>sylvari>>>>charr>norn.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewanalytics?formkey=dFVIRFVDM3RoU2ZoaXZOdGJhRFBRLXc6MQ

http://i.imgur.com/UloOf.png

http://i.imgur.com/isPGi.png

http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=total&divide=charprofession

http://i.imgur.com/WCgwl.png

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/532677/results

http://www.wepolls.com/p/7929341/What-class-will-you-be-playing-in-Guild-Wars-2
 
18k is actually a decent sample size. I would be willing to bet the actual distribution will be pretty darn close to what the poll shows.


just saying pretty small part of the GW2 community not a real way of knowing what the distribution of class and race will be.
 
I haven't really kept up with the game, but what is endgame? Is it just raiding and PVP?

I didn't care for the beta but at the same time I am not playing anything else right now.
 
I haven't really kept up with the game, but what is endgame? Is it just raiding and PVP?

I didn't care for the beta but at the same time I am not playing anything else right now.

There is no PvE raiding.
 
really? is it just 5-mans or similar?

If it's anything like GW1, after you hit max level, and get the fancy-schmancy armor, you play another game.Or I guess do PVP on the "PVP Characters" that are already max level.
 
If it's anything like GW1, after you hit max level, and get the fancy-schmancy armor, you play another game.Or I guess do PVP on the "PVP Characters" that are already max level.

Explorable dungeons, bosses, and W3 are all available. If you don't even know the basic differences between GW1 and GW2, do not post to that effect.
 
Three realm massive WvW has not been "same old same old" since DAoC. It's not like you are paying a monthly fee either.

No need to get your panties in a bunch, I'll still play the second one more likely than not, and I enjoyed the first one for what it was worth. Just nothing staggeringly new.
 
No need to get your panties in a bunch, I'll still play the second one more likely than not, and I enjoyed the first one for what it was worth. Just nothing staggeringly new.

I played the first one and there is more different than the same. I'm not quite sure how you are basing your comparison.

They are both online, use the GW1 lore and some instanced PvP. That's pretty much where the similarity stops.
 
I played the first one and there is more different than the same. I'm not quite sure how you are basing your comparison.

They are both online, use the GW1 lore and some instanced PvP. That's pretty much where the similarity stops.

Seems to me the second one is a stripped down version of the first from what I gather. That's all.
 
Seems to me the second one is a stripped down version of the first from what I gather. That's all.

Have you even played the second one? GW2 is a stripped down GW1? I'm going to let you argue that point. I'm not even going to start.
 
I applaud BiH115's style. It's a more subtle trolling. Well played sir.

Haha, I actually laughed a little when I read that. Hear hear. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. Though honestly, I do kind of feel like GW1 had more to offer. Probably just what I remember way back when. While I'll still play the second one, just to say I did, why not right, I feel like it won't be a game I'll play more than a few months down the road. Just me.
 
Haha, I actually laughed a little when I read that. Hear hear. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. Though honestly, I do kind of feel like GW1 had more to offer. Probably just what I remember way back when. While I'll still play the second one, just to say I did, why not right, I feel like it won't be a game I'll play more than a few months down the road. Just me.

Haha, I will miss the first one for sure. So I can somewhat agree with you. I'm wondering how team synergies will play out in 2.
 
Haha, I actually laughed a little when I read that. Hear hear. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. Though honestly, I do kind of feel like GW1 had more to offer. Probably just what I remember way back when. While I'll still play the second one, just to say I did, why not right, I feel like it won't be a game I'll play more than a few months down the road. Just me.

So you are saying that instanced theme park PvE and instanced competitive PvP matches from GW1 is more to do than....

WvW - I spent years playing DAoC for this by itself, larger free roaming maps with, likely, the best questing and event system yet developed, dungeons with different modes, instanced competitive PvP, theme park instanced story lines individual to each race and character history, a real crafting system, jumping puzzles and exploration perks, more robust combat system, dynamic underwater skill system and an end game zone driven by dynamic events leading up to large scale encounters and an end game dungeon, again, with different difficulty modes.

Oh, wait, GW1 eventually had henchmen and heroes so you did not have to play with other people at all. Big +1 there. I liked GW1 too, but it's nowhere near the game GW2 is.
 
Haha, I actually laughed a little when I read that. Hear hear. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. Though honestly, I do kind of feel like GW1 had more to offer. Probably just what I remember way back when. While I'll still play the second one, just to say I did, why not right, I feel like it won't be a game I'll play more than a few months down the road. Just me.
I feel like the 2nd one has way more to offer than the first. I spent well over 1500 hours on the first and did basically everything.
 
So you are saying that instanced theme park PvE and instanced competitive PvP matches from GW1 is more to do than....

WvW - I spent years playing DAoC for this by itself, larger free roaming maps with, likely, the best questing and event system yet developed, dungeons with different modes, instanced competitive PvP, theme park instanced story lines individual to each race and character history, a real crafting system, jumping puzzles and exploration perks, more robust combat system, dynamic underwater skill system and an end game zone driven by dynamic events leading up to large scale encounters and an end game dungeon, again, with different difficulty modes.

Oh, wait, GW1 eventually had henchmen and heroes so you did not have to play with other people at all. Big +1 there. I liked GW1 too, but it's nowhere near the game GW2 is.

Feels like the large amount of feedback I get from friends (already talked about this a few days back) is that the second game just doesn't feel as great as the first one. Also that the storylines are a snooze-fest and that it's nothing extraordinary. Nobody felt compelled to continue on. I mean if such a large group of friends think the same thing, there's got to be something to it.

Intel_Hydralisk said:
I feel like the 2nd one has way more to offer than the first. I spent well over 1500 hours on the first and did basically everything.

Maybe that's because of the 1500 hours haha.
 
Also that the storylines are a snooze-fest and that it's nothing extraordinary. Nobody felt compelled to continue on.
From what I saw of the story, at least the Human one, it was pretty terrible. Generic and bland. Especially the Noble version, Lord Faren is the most annoying and ridiculous video game character in recent memory.

However, there are two things to consider:

1) The story in the BWE stopped at level 20, so we only got to see a small snippet. Supposedly it arcs into a bigger story later on.

2) My first BWE I spent much of trying to play it like a story-driven game like from what I remember of my fading memories of GW1, and with the lackluster story I felt rather let down. However, the last BWE I spent just concentrating on leveling, exploring other starting zones, a little crafting, etc., and I had a hell of a lot more fun.

It may not be revolutionary as far as MMOs go, but I've learned to accept that. That's ok. And after initially regretting my pre-order, I've found myself now really looking forward to it.
 
From what I saw of the story, at least the Human one, it was pretty terrible. Generic and bland. Especially the Noble version, Lord Faren is the most annoying and ridiculous video game character in recent memory.

However, there are two things to consider:

1) The story in the BWE stopped at level 20, so we only got to see a small snippet. Supposedly it arcs into a bigger story later on.

2) My first BWE I spent much of trying to play it like a story-driven game like from what I remember of my fading memories of GW1, and with the lackluster story I felt rather let down. However, the last BWE I spent just concentrating on leveling, exploring other starting zones, a little crafting, etc., and I had a hell of a lot more fun.

It may not be revolutionary as far as MMOs go, but I've learned to accept that. That's ok. And after initially regretting my pre-order, I've found myself now really looking forward to it.

Hmm, interesting insight. Meshes well with what I've been told by all my friends, that it's nothing ground breaking, but still overall an ok MMO.
 
My only problem with the game right now, and it's a big one, is that I have no idea which class I'll play with my GF when it launches.

:confused:
 
Hmm, interesting insight. Meshes well with what I've been told by all my friends, that it's nothing ground breaking, but still overall an ok MMO.

Is any MMO going to be truly groundbreaking anymore? When was the last truly groundbreaking MMO? Each new game release builds on what others have done that has been deemed successful.

I don't think we'll realize how innovative or groundbreaking a game is until well after it has been released. Or we'll acknowledge that one piece (like public quests in Warhammer) was groundbreaking, but the game itself offered nothing terribly new.
 
Is any MMO going to be truly groundbreaking anymore? When was the last truly groundbreaking MMO? Each new game release builds on what others have done that has been deemed successful.

I don't think we'll realize how innovative or groundbreaking a game is until well after it has been released. Or we'll acknowledge that one piece (like public quests in Warhammer) was groundbreaking, but the game itself offered nothing terribly new.

I hear you. Until time has past, we won't know what was truly excellent.
 
Is any MMO going to be truly groundbreaking anymore? When was the last truly groundbreaking MMO? Each new game release builds on what others have done that has been deemed successful.

If innovation in a given archetype is stagnant, then maybe it's time to move on from that archetype.
 
There's no real reason to debate how long someone's going to play GW2 or if they'll enjoy it. WoW is the biggest time sink of all videogames yet a lot of people didn't play it past level 15. I know I enjoyed the content that was there during the BWE and foresee myself making multiple PvE characters as well as full-clearing the entire world on one of them (already a goal of mine). PvP will add nice diversions every now and then.

FYI, here's Anet's comment on reddit about BWE difficulty: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/xij3o/bwe3_difficulty/
 
Back
Top