The Official Borderlands 2 Thread

Lost about 4 hours of game time yesterday thanks to the steam cloud and me not being careful which I click. I had so much awesome gear from the caustic caverns.. oh well.

If anyone wants to play with someone level 22-23 doing side missions add me on steam jekyll991.

the tweak has nothing to do with the actual BL2 install. You install it wherever you want, run it, start BL2, go in game, alt tab to the app, tell it to scan, then set players to 2. To delete it, just delete whatever folder you extracted the files to.

I was worried about registry changes. So this should be safe. No word of anyone getting banned for anything like this I take it?

Lost about 4 hours of game time yesterday thanks to the steam cloud and me not being careful which I click. I had so much awesome gear from the caustic caverns.. oh well.

If anyone wants to play with someone level 22-23 doing side missions add me on steam jekyll991.

Sorry but how is this Steam's fault again?

Oh I feel young again at a mere 38. Also way too excited about virtual loot. This game is brilliant and completely addictive. Back to the game...

Does anyone know if the single player co-op tweak (that allows for single player to be played as 4 players was joined) is easy to remove or leave BL2 installation a mess? I am debating some farming using this tweak myself.

Get off my lawn!

I was wondering the same thing last night, which is why I didn't install it.

the tweak has nothing to do with the actual BL2 install. You install it wherever you want, run it, start BL2, go in game, alt tab to the app, tell it to scan, then set players to 2. To delete it, just delete whatever folder you extracted the files to.

Awesome, thanks!

Is the loot from the vending machines affected with this tweak?

Not sure.

The best way to answer that is: If you're in a co-op game with 2 or more people does THAT affect vending machines? I haven't paid too close attention to that.

Whatever real co-op does this mod is supposed to do. You're simulating a co-op situation.

new code:KJK33-XFZ6H-F3BBT-3BBJJ-WTXR6

goes live at 1pm CDT and will be active two hours.

Is that a 'death comment' from the baddies? I've heard various funny ones, but don't think I've heard that one yet haha.

Yeah. From just a regular engineer in the city...whatever the city is called ... going blank on the name. But yeah I heard that and was rolling lol!

What are these shift codes about? Can they only be redeemed in-game?

Golden Keys. And sadly yes, so far. I thought all of this "Shift code redemption testing" was going to lead to being able to redeem codes on the Shift website, but so far zilch in that department.

They need get code redemptions going on the site, or move past giving out 2-hour codes in the middle of the US work day.

Sorry but how is this Steam's fault again?

Something happened and steam cloud got out of sync with my save and it wouldn't let me play without syncing, when it synced I lost my data.

Not entirely steam's fault I guess, if I kept a backup it wouldn't be a problem, but one shouldn't have to do that.

How the heck can they stress test the system in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday?

"Sorry USA Vault Hunters at work - this test is for EU prime time. Fair chance at a prime time USA drop later today. Test, learn, improve..."

"Fair chance", lol.

Why not just leave the code active for 12 hours instead of 2?

Something happened and steam cloud got out of sync with my save and it wouldn't let me play without syncing, when it synced I lost my data.

Not entirely steam's fault I guess, if I kept a backup it wouldn't be a problem, but one shouldn't have to do that.

If your local save is different from the one in the cloud, I've read that it's supposed to give you the option of which save to use. But that's just what I've heard.

gun pricing has more to do with the level of the gun rather than the effectiveness. in other words it is pretty meaningless.

Fair enough. But Steam tells you which save is newer. You mentioned that you didn't pay attention, clicked whatever and it used the old data.

This is not Steam's fault at all.

Last edited:
does anyone else get bored with BL2 after playing an hour or so? maybe I need to play co-op more....

gun pricing has more to do with the level of the gun rather than the effectiveness. in other words it is pretty meaningless.

Yup, looking at a 30k rifle vs a 18k one, and the 18k one was superior in almost every way.

does anyone else get bored with BL2 after playing an hour or so? maybe I need to play co-op more....

Not really, though I will admit co-op is a lot more fun. I think me and the GF played like 6+ hours straight one of the past weekends, lol.

Not sure.

The best way to answer that is: If you're in a co-op game with 2 or more people does THAT affect vending machines? I haven't paid too close attention to that.

Whatever real co-op does this mod is supposed to do. You're simulating a co-op situation.

To me they actually seem worse in co-op then in single player. For example my single player toon has won rocket launchers on the slots, and they and their ammo have been available in the stores since around level 11, my co-op toon is almost level 20 and has yet to see a rocket launcher (despite spending 4 times as much on the slots and the single player, in less pulls has won at least 10 different launchers from the slots.)

Golden Keys. And sadly yes, so far. I thought all of this "Shift code redemption testing" was going to lead to being able to redeem codes on the Shift website, but so far zilch in that department.

They need get code redemptions going on the site, or move past giving out 2-hour codes in the middle of the US work day.

Well whenever they do one in the morning US time they do one later in the evening, although sadly normally exactly twelve hours later, which would make it 2am here.

"Fair chance", lol.

Why not just leave the code active for 12 hours instead of 2?

They are testing different lengths, and from what he was tweeting this weekend they make them shorter since they can not review the data for it until it's over, and I suspect they want to have a large number of codes going out constantly during the time it's available.

Some of the first codes were only for 1k redemptions that gave 5 keys, but lasted only seconds for the PC (got to love copy & paste.)

i hadn't been bored with it until yesterday for some reason.

I think it was the build up in the story line which seemed like the end of the game scenario and then bam, they just toss you into more story. I found after that I wasn't so into it, got tired of back and forth side quests and the game opening up more areas to explore that were fairly meaningless to everything.

If your local save is different from the one in the cloud, I've read that it's supposed to give you the option of which save to use. But that's just what I've heard.

this is true. I had that box come up and sat there for like 10 minutes trying to decide which one to take as I didn't want to go backwards. it didn't say which was newer, it just said they were different.

Yeah, I will say that a lot of the quests requiring you to just travel a whole bunch are kind of boring. I'd rather encounter the quests as I visit an area and then do the quests in that area (or maybe one adjacent).

Fair enough. But Steam tells you which save is newer. You mentioned that you didn't pay attention, clicked whatever and it used the old data.

This is not Steam's fault at all.

I disagree it is steam's fault, not for borking your save but for failing to enforce sane rules about which files they keep. cloud syncing is just poorly designed and unreliable, one of the reasons I never use it. in what limited situations would you ever want them to keep the stale version? this is something you would back up on your own if you wanted it, not for an automated system trying to keep your instances up to date.

this is a case where valve is just being "too pc" with their data manipulation, and being afraid to limit your choices, which is technically moot since you can always backup your own version whenever you feel like it. but if you enable cloud syncing at all, that should just allow them to replace files on their own. just don't replace local saves, ever, unless they're out of date or don't exist, and overwrite with backup extensions, what is so complicated about this I don't get it. if they were to make a simple copy to save.old or save.bak while syncing these files, it would prevent catastrophic wastes of time when users had an auto copy to fall back on.

the main problem is people are just not smart enough to properly compare similar files. no offense, but I'm pretty sure microsoft has proven this empirically through about 10 versions of windows, getting users to compare versions of the same file on their own and choosing the right one, it's just not possible no matter how pretty you make the ui. so apps have to be smarter about doing it for them, that's it.

People outside of the US play Borderlands too. I'm actually very grateful to Gearbox for being one of the few developers to recognise this, instead of dropping keys at 4am UTC like any others would or have with comparable offers.

I think the best thing to do for anyone is to disable the cloud saves unless you actually plan on playing on multiple PCs, or plan on uninstalling the game for a while. Otherwise there is really no reason to use them unless you're afraid of your hard drive dying or something, in which case you can always just use another cloud based backup program if you really want.

shift codes are live, WinPC: KJK33-XFZ6H-F3BBT-3BBJJ-WTXR6 PS3: KTKJT-Z3K9B-FS35T-S35T3-BBKXC X360: CT5BT-6BCKX-B6F3X-KXTTB-WXHH5

People outside of the US play Borderlands too. I'm actually very grateful to Gearbox for being one of the few developers to recognise this, instead of dropping keys at 4am UTC like any others would or have with comparable offers.

Yeah, but out of the numerous times they have dropped keys, I think only once or twice during the work week have they done them at times when those in the US could partake.

I'm not saying I'm not grateful for it and I realize that not everyone is in the US, but they could at least do two times per key where everyone would actually have a chance at it.

They just need to get the Shift site working for code redemption and that would be the end of it. Right now the site is useless.

Yeah, but out of the numerous times they have dropped keys, I think only once or twice during the work week have they done them at times when those in the US could partake.

I'm not saying I'm not grateful for it and I realize that not everyone is in the US, but they could at least do two times per key where everyone would actually have a chance at it.

They just need to get the Shift site working for code redemption and that would be the end of it. Right now the site is useless.

Actually each time they did one during EU prime times they did another during US times, although when they first started dropping codes on twitter they were only good for 1k or 10k redemptions. It wasnt until this past weekend that they started having unlimited redemptions for 1 or 2 hours and again they did one euro prime and then US primetime each time.

Back