• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Street Fighter 4 Thread

Ill be without internet for a few days, so my only mission for tonight is to make it to G2 before I have to start packing :) Im at ~1400 now.

Ive played a few REALLY good Akumas, but most are garbage. I love when they whiff his ultra and I can come back with my own and put him down. Even my girlfriend laughs when she sees Akumas randomly jabbing from halfway across the screen.
 
Ok, I was at 1996 GP tonight. Won 3 in a row and ended up at 2112, ranked up to G2-E. Got matched up with a guy at 5600GP who straight up humbled me with his Vega. Looks like after G2 they don't give you a freebie point, you have to earn them all.

I'm doing this on the 360 because I still can't hold a steady connection on the ps3. At my current GP, it's right under top 9000 people. What is it like over there in PS3 land?

The good thing with G2 is that I will only play people that are at least as good as me. That will only make me better.

Domingo, refraxion, and anyone else that has gone G2: Are wins a lot harder to come by now?

Btw, the 5600GP guy was G2-B
 
Wins in G2 are definitely much harder to come by. In particular, getting 4 in a row is flat out hard! Probably 75% of the people at G2 are legitimately good, and beating 4 in a row with double blind characters is just plain tough. I've played in 3 tournaments at that level so far and I've lost in the finals all 3 times. I really can't complain about any of them either. I just got out-played by Seth, Sagat (this guy was scary good), and a Ryu that just barely won.
I haven't run into too many Ken's that are honestly good, but he's one of those characters that can win via BS just by beating out pretty much anything with the fierce dragon punch. His super is also good at beating out any normal attacks, so if he has one, sometimes I'll forget to back off and end up paying for it.
With Akuma, I played some wizards the first week the game came out, but I don't think I've lost to one in a ranked match since. Even matches I should've lost have worked out in my favor because I can jump out of his super/ultra and he takes crazy damage. The really good Akuma's are masters of using that ultra as an anti-air. You can buffer it after a fireball and it works really well...and takes more than 1/2 of your life.
 
man I'm making my way through the G3 levels and in one tournament I faced Akuma in all three matches lol

first two we're horrible and the third was pretty good, he spammed air fireballs on me the whole time. I won that tournament with Dan :D

It's always the same though, Ryu, Ken or Akuma, sometimes a Sagat. I ran into a Guile that owned me though. I always play poorly against Guile, I never learn from my mistakes with him.

I have trouble with Cammy as well, dudes always spam cannon spike and cannon drill on me
 
Welp, got to about 3600 GP using only El Fuente. Championship mode is stressful. I tend to do dumb things that I don't normally do during final matches.

People still disconnect in G2. Even had someone disconnect on me in a final match. What's the point of that? at least by losing you get 50ish points.
 
Damn, G2 skill is blowing my mind. I've played about 2 hours of it so far. Gotten to semi-finals 3 times and lost each time. They rank you up sooooooooooo slow. For example, I beat a guy in the first round with 7400 GP. Lost the second round and was only given 5 points. Just now I won two in a row and lost in semis. Only got 16 points.

Maybe I need crapppier players to rank up to g2 so I can do better. :/
 
Oh damn, just played my way through to a final. Beat a 5700GP Ryu to do so. Surprised I beat him since he almost perfected me on the first round.

Crossing my fingers for an actual finals win. Probably gonna be a beat down for me. 32,000 CP going into it... gonna be sad to see it all amount to nothing.

EDIT: Holy shit! I got lucky and drew a 2400GP Sagat. +107GP, finished with 53,577CP!
 
Friends came over Saturday...save data corrupted...had to beat the game over and over to get characters...no colors...and have to start Champ Mode over. Incredible fail... *facepalm*
 
WOW....that's horrible. I remember unlocking characters taking way too much time, even if you do have it set to 1 round and really easy.
I didn't really play much this weekend as I think I'm getting a little burned out. Since there are so many people playing the championship mode religiously, I'm not so sure I'll rank up high enough to get any more videos posted. The G2 level of competition is definitely pretty high, though. I know if I want a challenge, it's not too hard to get one. I've been full-on handled more times in G2 mode in the last week than the previous couple of months combined.
Still, I miss the idea of figuring people out. When it's just one match, the game still favors trickery and pretty much everyone is guaranteed a tic throw or two just because neither player knows if they should input the escape or be ready to block.
 
does anyone else have problems viewing online vids posted in SFIV. 95% of the time I get "Unable to Retrieve Data".....
 
The videos are hidden in the "ranking" section on the PSN. Just go to that area and hit L1 to cycle to the championship videos. You can then hit R2 to filter that list to view only your friends.
I've gotten the "unable to retrieve data" message before and I kept getting it until I left the game and came back. The game also caused my PSN connection to go a little crazy the weekend after the patch came out, so I wonder if the netcode was tweaked a little.
 
I have trouble with Cammy as well, dudes always spam cannon spike and cannon drill on me

I have insane trouble with her. I can't get it through my head to block the spiral arrow low. My brain won't allow it. Only made it to 1750 before I moved. Now I'll have to wait till Friday to work to G2
 
WOW....that's horrible. I remember unlocking characters taking way too much time, even if you do have it set to 1 round and really easy.
I didn't really play much this weekend as I think I'm getting a little burned out. Since there are so many people playing the championship mode religiously, I'm not so sure I'll rank up high enough to get any more videos posted. The G2 level of competition is definitely pretty high, though. I know if I want a challenge, it's not too hard to get one. I've been full-on handled more times in G2 mode in the last week than the previous couple of months combined.
Still, I miss the idea of figuring people out. When it's just one match, the game still favors trickery and pretty much everyone is guaranteed a tic throw or two just because neither player knows if they should input the escape or be ready to block.

Yep. When playing Shoto's and Sagat's, all I ever see is fireball, then you see them do the up down up down type motion, pretty much just waiting for a SRK to come out, its pretty annoying. It's such a waste of a match cause that is all they know how to do.
 
The thing about Cammy is that her moves are almost completely unsafe. You can focus cancel her cannon drill at any range except very close. Otherwise, you can just block it and hit her with any combo starting with a jab or short kick. A throw works, too. Her recovery isn't overly long, but she is still open.
Her flying hooligan move is tricky, but the main thing to remember is not to freeze up. Pretty much any standing fierce punch will stop it cold as long as you do one.
Her cannon spike is a killer anti-air and move snuffer, but she's wide open if she misses it or in most matches if it's blocked.
Her spinning knuckle isn't too bad, but the priority is pretty low. It's good against the allyoucan posse's fireballs, though.
Her ultra starts low, which is interesting...but it ruins the ability to use it as an anti-air in most cases. Of all of the ultra's in the whole game, I've had that one miss me the most, even when my opponent used it in a normally good situation.
I've had some wars with Cammy players, but a lot of that has to do with Honda/Cammy being a fight with no moves being safe on block for either person :p

If you get a moderate lead on a Cammy player, they really don't have many options except to try and throw or hooligan grab you. Everything else is completely unsafe...and that's her main issue.
 
Last edited:
Getting my ass handed to me in G2. With all characters from A to Z ( I think I even got beat once with someone using Dan, how embrassing is that?), haven't run into anyone that does not know how to FADC . Shoto users jumping in with strong RH into fierce dragon punch is a thing of the past. I'm winning by pure luck at the moment, all the users I have encounterd in G2 know how to execute their 2 in 1's .
 
Getting my ass handed to me in G2. With all characters from A to Z ( I think I even got beat once with someone using Dan, how embrassing is that?), haven't run into anyone that does not know how to FADC . Shoto users jumping in with strong RH into fierce dragon punch is a thing of the past. I'm winning by pure luck at the moment, all the users I have encounterd in G2 know how to execute their 2 in 1's .

Ya, G2 is intense. Can't imagine what G1 is like with the talent already in G2. I've never faced a Dan on Championship mode before. But I've faced two Seths so far in G2 (only 1 in G3). One I barely beat, and the other just completely demolished me. I used to think player controlled Seth was a weak and watered down version of the game's computer boss character, but I definitely have a newfound respect for his abilities.

Another guy that wasted me with more than 80% health in both rounds was an Akuma. Upon knockdown, he would jump over me. I would try to defend against a medium jump kick cross-up, but he would use a helicopter kick down. Over and over and over again. Anyone ever face an Akuma like this before? A few times I was able to teleport out of it, but still got beat down shortly after.
 
The thing about Cammy is that her moves are almost completely unsafe. You can focus cancel her cannon drill at any range except very close. Otherwise, you can just block it and hit her with any combo starting with a jab or short kick. A throw works, too. Her recovery isn't overly long, but she is still open.
Her flying hooligan move is tricky, but the main thing to remember is not to freeze up. Pretty much any standing fierce punch will stop it cold as long as you do one.
Her cannon spike is a killer anti-air and move snuffer, but she's wide open if she misses it or in most matches if it's blocked.
Her spinning knuckle isn't too bad, but the priority is pretty low. It's good against the allyoucan posse's fireballs, though.
Her ultra starts low, which is interesting...but it ruins the ability to use it as an anti-air in most cases. Of all of the ultra's in the whole game, I've had that one miss me the most, even when my opponent used it in a normally good situation.
I've had some wars with Cammy players, but a lot of that has to do with Honda/Cammy being a fight with no moves being safe on block for either person :p

If you get a moderate lead on a Cammy player, they really don't have many options except to try and throw or hooligan grab you. Everything else is completely unsafe...and that's her main issue.

Domingo, I'm impressed with your ability to analyze so many character matchups. I'd probably help my game a lot by at least casually playing all characters like you do rather than focusing on one. When I play fringe characters like Seth and Gen, I get comboed up like crazy and I have no idea what to expect.

One character that I have NEVER seen in championship mode is Dahlsim. With that ability of that one Japanese guy at the Gamestop tournament to completely humiliate others with Dahlsim, I'm surprised people aren't picking him up. Is he simply one of those technical characters that requires extreme precision to play remotely well?
 
Just won my first G2 championship today, lol.

It was a hard battle though, I had to go through a good Gen player, a Ken that wasn't a flowchart and knew how to combo insanely. Then a Bison.. I despise Bison's but I think I must have gotten the hang of it since I beat him during the semi-finals.

The finals was intense though, a Boxer player is very scary, you cant play the poking game against him or you're toast, his low jabs and low charge punches are scary if not blocked properly.

I won the first round, then in the second round I was about to go down fast, but I made a huge comeback, but not enough as I whiffed my EX BK right over top of Boxer, and lost the round.

Last round was a bit more of a mind game, pretending to jump and forcing out his head butt for me to punish, etc.

G2 is really helping me up my game.

@Tzzird, to play Dhalsim, you really really have to be patient. He isn't a pick up and go type of character, all of his actions have to be precise. If you mess up, you are left wide open to be punished. You have to play a lot and know all of his long range and close range attacks, how far they reach, what takes over priority, etc. It's not easy playing a Sim, and it does take lots and lots of patience and practice. Basically you need a lot of dedication to play Sim and to be good with him.
 
Dhalsim is a complete bastard if played well. The main thing about him (and Seth) is that jumping fierce/standing fierce sequence to create distance. There's also the air-teleport followed by the air fierce that give him that safe distance all over again. He's one of the few characters that I don't really play at all, but I've run into some people that do. I know that what people seem to do really well with him is the fireball and then following up with either the normal stretchy anti-air attacks or jumping up and either teleporting or the jumping fierce. If a fireball lands - you can follow with another attack.
His ultra is really slow and he can teleport 2-3 times while it's crossing the screen. Once they line you up - any of his attacks can knock you into it for big damage. He can even follow with a super or EX move afterward for even more damage.
It's a really frustrating match, although Bison probably is a good character to use against him. The headstomp should bust through the jumping/distancing attacks and you can use the devil's reverse to stay fairly safe when the ultra is active.

Seth is probably the best character in the whole game...but he takes a ton of damage. That's just their way of keeping him in check. There's some giant combo you can do involving his uppercut elbow (the one from Abel) into the EX super kick, into his 3 pogo kicks. It ends up hitting like 25 times! It's just one of those things you have to accept. I've won matches against Seth that are just attrition fights. I might get hit a lot more, but I know that he can only take 5 EX headbutts or 3 Zangief splash combos and still lose.

I don't know Gen, and there's a guy on here (Adonay) that has a scary good one. He tends to use a cross-up sequence that no matter how many times you see it, it just always looks like it'll miss you.

I play probably half the cast. Honda, Zangief, & Bison are my mains, with Chun Li and Blanka being passable. I know Ryu, Ken, Akuma, etc. but I'm too aggressive to ever play them at high levels. Even if I have a lead, I tend to push forward and that's just not their style. Funny enough, Dan actually fits my playstyle pretty well, but he just has nerfed stats. Back in Alpha 2, my Dan was pretty good. In SF4, they killed his stats and made his normal moves pretty weak. Plus, just the sheer nature of the game hurts him, too.
 
With Honda - pretty much everything he has isn't safe (EX's being the exception), but his normal attacks are good. Expect lots of pestering with low jabs and MP's, and if anything ever lands - a headbutt will follow. If you're blocking too much, you'll get oicho'd. If he knocks you down - that's the one time where he shines.
He's honestly pretty simplistic, but it's also one thing that makes him easy to pick up and win with. You don't have to be complicated, you just stay in someone's face until they get an ultra. Once they have one, all of your normals are now useless. At that point, back off and play defensively with EX headbutts and sumo smashes.
 
I just started playing this game on Saturday. Love it so far. I've got Sakura and Dan unlocked. Will work on more later tonight.
 
Getting my ass handed to me in G2. With all characters from A to Z ( I think I even got beat once with someone using Dan, how embrassing is that?), haven't run into anyone that does not know how to FADC . Shoto users jumping in with strong RH into fierce dragon punch is a thing of the past. I'm winning by pure luck at the moment, all the users I have encounterd in G2 know how to execute their 2 in 1's .


I got spanked hard by a Dan player. He even blew his ultra on the taunt move. I literally sat there frozen couldn't react to it because it was the first time I actually saw it used in a match.

G2 is rough as hell atm. Only wins I'm getting are off folks in the lower 2k. It is really nice to play against different characters now though. Instead of the usually shoto matches. Abel is proving to be a nice challenge too. Still haven't played a Rufuss.

Vs Cammy, it's really just a patience game. Wait for her to whiff a move and punish rinse repeat. Dahlsim atm is my biggest have no clue what to do match.
 
I got spanked hard by a Dan player. He even blew his ultra on the taunt move. I literally sat there frozen couldn't react to it because it was the first time I actually saw it used in a match.

G2 is rough as hell atm. Only wins I'm getting are off folks in the lower 2k. It is really nice to play against different characters now though. Instead of the usually shoto matches. Abel is proving to be a nice challenge too. Still haven't played a Rufuss.

Vs Cammy, it's really just a patience game. Wait for her to whiff a move and punish rinse repeat. Dahlsim atm is my biggest have no clue what to do match.

What character are you playing against a Sim player? You usually have to either FADC into closer range or wait for them to pull something and jump in and try to punish before they teleport out.
 
What character are you playing against a Sim player? You usually have to either FADC into closer range or wait for them to pull something and jump in and try to punish before they teleport out.
Blanka is my main. Against really good Sims i can't get in close to do anything.
 
I've been a Ryu and Ken player since I've been a Street Fighter player since the original Fighting Street game in the arcades. I wasted more money and time on Street Fighter II and all its incarnations than I care to admit. I've also played tons of Street Fighter Alpha which I really enjoyed. I really miss the career mode of Street Fighter Alpha 3. I also play the Dan, Akuma, Sakura, and Sagat characters fairly well due to their similarities to Ken and Ryu. Ryu is the main, followed by Ken as my main Alternate. I've been playing Dan and Sakura quite a bit recently. I'm learning how to deal with Dan's increased power, and lack of speed.
 
I'm so pissed at the PSN right now, disconnected me so many times, lost my GP's etc everytime during a semi -final match, never able to make it back to finals. Eff off. I was owning a scrub Ken player too.
 
I'm so pissed at the PSN right now, disconnected me so many times, lost my GP's etc everytime during a semi -final match, never able to make it back to finals. Eff off. I was owning a scrub Ken player too.

That's why I play on the 360. :D
 
I played for a few minutes last night and actually lost to a scrubby Sagat who was doing the whole "run away and keep using the standing roundhouse." Normally 'Gief can beat that with a flying fierce that's timed right, but for some reason my timing was just horrendous. And of course once I pulled out Bison (it was a normal player match) the damned PSN disconnected.

Gouken's a pretty good character that just doesn't really fit my playstyle. Still, those counters are really good. With a little practice and timing, you pretty much can't jump at him - even for a cross-up. Then you see the game revert into SF3, with people forced to jump in and throw Gouken instead :)
 
The thing about Cammy is that her moves are almost completely unsafe. You can focus cancel her cannon drill at any range except very close. Otherwise, you can just block it and hit her with any combo starting with a jab or short kick. A throw works, too. Her recovery isn't overly long, but she is still open.
Her flying hooligan move is tricky, but the main thing to remember is not to freeze up. Pretty much any standing fierce punch will stop it cold as long as you do one.
Her cannon spike is a killer anti-air and move snuffer, but she's wide open if she misses it or in most matches if it's blocked.
Her spinning knuckle isn't too bad, but the priority is pretty low. It's good against the allyoucan posse's fireballs, though.
Her ultra starts low, which is interesting...but it ruins the ability to use it as an anti-air in most cases. Of all of the ultra's in the whole game, I've had that one miss me the most, even when my opponent used it in a normally good situation.
I've had some wars with Cammy players, but a lot of that has to do with Honda/Cammy being a fight with no moves being safe on block for either person :p

If you get a moderate lead on a Cammy player, they really don't have many options except to try and throw or hooligan grab you. Everything else is completely unsafe...and that's her main issue.

wow, awesome info. I'll try to keep it in mind when going up against her in the future. Thanks!
 
It's okay. I was too lazy to beat the game with everyone to unlock Seth. XD

I've got the game beaten with most of the characters. That won't be a huge issue but I have to get Akuma and Gouken unlocked first.
 
Back
Top