• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Street Fighter 4 Thread

I love using the fight sticks. Honestly just a good chunk of moves are meant for arcade sticks than anything else. One thing I find that new people tend to do with home arcade sticks is use their whole arms to play. Really its all about subtle and accurate movements and the sticks work fine for that. Linking supers into regular combos are really good with the arcade stick and pulling off EX moves on whim along with focus cancels once again better with the stick. Going into an ultra after a focus attack with zangief is pretty satisfying too.
 
pad works pretty well but I usually set my R1 and R2 as the triple punch and kick respectively. It works out okay except for blanka, akuma, and bison which leads to weird moves coming out when I don't want to. That and extended sessions of doing hard trials leads to my left hand really hurting. I really want a TE stick but I missed out on all the local sales/BB/zon/buy.com and most recently the ecost thing.

TE FTMFW!!!
 
Looks like the free tournament add-on will be out on the 24th.
Not exactly sure if it's that big of a deal, but it's free!
 
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/17/free-street-fighter-iv-championship-dlc-detailed/

It's going to be nice to download the videos to the hard drive so I don't have to redownload it to watch replays repeatedly. Can't wait for the new championship mode as well. :)

Speaking of sticks, I honestly can't play as well with a stick. I love the button layout, but I think I just play a lot better and responder quicker with a dpad(I actually like the 360 D-pad lol its not that bad). With the stick I just feel like I'm doing things so slow. Meh, but I'm still practicing with the stick because of the button layout.
 
Speaking of sticks, I honestly can't play as well with a stick. I love the button layout, but I think I just play a lot better and responder quicker with a dpad(I actually like the 360 D-pad lol its not that bad). With the stick I just feel like I'm doing things so slow. Meh, but I'm still practicing with the stick because of the button layout.

Definitely keep practicing with the stick. Are you closer to 20 years old than you are 30? If you didn't grow up with the street fighter series in the arcade, you probably played most of it at home on a joypad. It will take some time, but you'll eventually be better than on the joystick.

EDIT: Still getting random disconnects at the end of matches on the PSN. :( How come I don't have this issue on the 360 version at all? My friend suggested that I turn off all my computers on the network. I did that but I still get disconnects.

My question about not finding DMZ on my router still stands.
 
Definitely keep practicing with the stick. Are you closer to 20 years old than you are 30? If you didn't grow up with the street fighter series in the arcade, you probably played most of it at home on a joypad. It will take some time, but you'll eventually be better than on the joystick.

Haha I'm 25. I grew up going to the arcades just to practice sf2 moves on the arcade stick. But once it came out on consoles I've been using those ever since as I didn't have money to go to the arcades and play. My dad used to have a SF2 arcade machine at our burger place and I played a lot on there but was still playing to learn the moves, not learn to play well. But yeah I'll keep practicing. I don't think I'm being patient enough executing the moves. Not used to moving my whole arm/hand compared to just moving a thumb. I honestly thought about selling my TE stick last night cuz I couldn't execute moves when I wanted to. =\
 
Haha I'm 25. I grew up going to the arcades just to practice sf2 moves on the arcade stick. But once it came out on consoles I've been using those ever since as I didn't have money to go to the arcades and play. My dad used to have a SF2 arcade machine at our burger place and I played a lot on there but was still playing to learn the moves, not learn to play well. But yeah I'll keep practicing. I don't think I'm being patient enough executing the moves. Not used to moving my whole arm/hand compared to just moving a thumb. I honestly thought about selling my TE stick last night cuz I couldn't execute moves when I wanted to. =\

My buddies and I used to ride our bikes to burger joints, hobby shops, and liquor stores just to play this game. Even after the game came out on SNES (1993 I believe), we made our way to the arcade machines because of how much better it played with an actual joystick. Nothing like lining up your characters and waiting your turn at knocking out the king.

I've also known 4 or 5 people throughout my life that has their own vintage SF2 machine at their home. I would love to set up a dedicated arcade machine for SF4.
 
(I'm 32) I remember visiting my local mall arcade and lining up with something like 15 other players all playing the original SF2. I grew up in an air force town, so we got random players from all over the place for a few months/years at a time. It was always interesting to see how players from different areas played differently.
Since this was essentially pre-internet (except stuff like Prodigy), moves like the Hancuff, Blackouts, and Invisible Throw circulated via rumors and in some cases, by accident.
Those were the days.
I remember arcade lines and that whole "scene" pretty much lasting through Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag (roughly the SF3 era).
Things faded a little here and there, but I still recall the arcade scene being active through the Alpha series.
 
Haha I'm 25. I grew up going to the arcades just to practice sf2 moves on the arcade stick. But once it came out on consoles I've been using those ever since as I didn't have money to go to the arcades and play. My dad used to have a SF2 arcade machine at our burger place and I played a lot on there but was still playing to learn the moves, not learn to play well. But yeah I'll keep practicing. I don't think I'm being patient enough executing the moves. Not used to moving my whole arm/hand compared to just moving a thumb. I honestly thought about selling my TE stick last night cuz I couldn't execute moves when I wanted to. =\

I would encourage you to do training mode and combo trial challenges, skip online matches for the most part, and be patient. The motion shortcuts in the game help, but can also punish sloppy execution, and the TE stick is ultra sensitive. You may also want to fire up an emulator and practice move execution on an older SF game where the controls are more strict, if you get them there, SF4 should be easy. And don't sell your stick. Put in the work, get used to it, and you'll be a much better player.

EDIT: I haven't been on XBL much, if you see me on there, feel free to give me a game invite, and I can give you some online help. If you want, PM me with some times and we can schedule some online matches.
 
TE FTMFW!!!

thanks to you, this thread, and a thread on CAG I now have a TE stick. I found it about 35 miles from where I live, so it was a bit of a drive. I noticed immediately that I could do certain combos that weren't possible before, perhaps just due to the layout, but as already mentioned, it was much easier picking up balrog/bison than ryu. Strangely I had trouble feeling out the quarter circle motions and I notice in training that at the end of the motion if I don't intentionally stop the motion I end up inputting up. I had 40 hrs with the pad + years of sf2 turbo so this may be a while.

On a side note can't wait for MvC2 re-release...if true that is. Hopefully they revert to six button config though.
 
I would encourage you to do training mode and combo trial challenges, skip online matches for the most part, and be patient. The motion shortcuts in the game help, but can also punish sloppy execution, and the TE stick is ultra sensitive. You may also want to fire up an emulator and practice move execution on an older SF game where the controls are more strict, if you get them there, SF4 should be easy. And don't sell your stick. Put in the work, get used to it, and you'll be a much better player.

EDIT: I haven't been on XBL much, if you see me on there, feel free to give me a game invite, and I can give you some online help. If you want, PM me with some times and we can schedule some online matches.

I have you on my friends list but I don't think I've played you yet. Next time I see you on and I'm on SF4 or free, I'll message you and we'll see if we can get a game going. Played lots of online matches(unranked) and won a lot. It'll be interesting to play you and see what you got. :)
 
Back on the SF4 train, I'm starting to mess around with Abel more. At first I thought he wasn't that great, but I've definitely gotten used to him. He's different because of his lack of a consistent anti-air move, but those rolling sequences can definitely irritate people. Plus, the mix-ups with his change of direction combos really help his pressure game. His ultra absolutely jacks fireballers. 40% damage from 3/4 of the screen is nuts.
I still think they should've made his anti-air grab along the lines of Alex/Hugo in SF3, but I guess there's always SF4: Champion Edition for that :)
 
There are YouTube videos for most of the national championship that Justin Wong won. Too bad for him that he had to play the international champs a few minutes later. He beat 2 out of 3, but as usual Daigo has the ability to make crazy things happen when he needs to. He ended up blanking Wong 4-0.
Still, Wong's Rufus is pretty scary. He's got a really good mix of aggressive defense (staying close, but beating people to the punch or countering) and just flat out being able to pressure people.
I might have to start playing him a little more after seeing how an expert makes him work.
 
What I don't like about Wong is the way he represents himself. Way too much showboating/cockiness.

Other than that, I'm glad Daigo put him in his place.

Poongko was not bad, he can definitely hang with the pros, but he's gotta refine his Ryu a bit more. His combo's are just sick, but he's too offensive with a lack in defense, that's where everyone keeps catching him on. But then again, he doesn't have much competition back in Korea, so he did well when playing against known SF players, and he should only improve from now on.

The most exciting was Iyo vs. Daigo, that should have been the finals instead of Wong vs. Daigo.
 
What I liked about Iyo was his hyper aggressive Dhalsim. No camping or running away from him - he was on Daigo and he was a master of spacing.
Poongko was good, but it looked like everything he did, Daigo did much better. Those linking lockdown sequences with Ryu are serious business. I was honestly suprised his bout with Wong was as close as it was. If he could escape throws a little better (most looked like normal grabs) he'd be 1/2 way there.
 
Some of the comments on eventhub stated he was just being a NYer, which I could believe. Iyo and his dhalsim skills were crazy though.
 
I haven't had a chance to see the tournament matches (other then the final bouts) but I'm very interested to see someone playing E. Honda at that level. In my 2 months playing online, I haven't even run into another Honda that's as good as mine...and I know mine isn't THAT good.
That gives me hope that Honda really can be competetive. Usually I've had to win with lots of trickery.
 
Back on the SF4 train, I'm starting to mess around with Abel more. At first I thought he wasn't that great, but I've definitely gotten used to him. He's different because of his lack of a consistent anti-air move, but those rolling sequences can definitely irritate people. Plus, the mix-ups with his change of direction combos really help his pressure game. His ultra absolutely jacks fireballers. 40% damage from 3/4 of the screen is nuts.
I still think they should've made his anti-air grab along the lines of Alex/Hugo in SF3, but I guess there's always SF4: Champion Edition for that :)

yea, if his anti air grab wasnt so goddam precise he would probably be my main character. his ultra is perfect against shoto guys, which is 98% of the online players.
 
Ok, after a weekend of planning a baby shower for my wife, these videos were the perfect way to bring me back into the world of street fighter. I can safely say that I will never play at the level of these tournament guys. The way that link combos together is beautiful.

If you want it bad enough, you can.

As for the tournament, it was great. Justin, as usual, is great, but Daigo vs. Iyo was one of the best matches I've ever seen. Poongko losing like that actually gave me a glimmer of hope. Not that he is bad, but it tells me the game isn't as scrub friendly as it seems. His execution is great, but his tactics and defense are not very good. Korea is Tekken territory, so I'm just going with he is the best technical player to have interest in the game. Not a knock on him so much as being glad that the fundamentals weren't completely ignored.
 
Just curious - why isn't Street Fighter bigger in Korea? I know they pretty much dominate Tekken, but it seems like they have a pretty minimal SF scene. With a lot of the precision needed in Tekken, you'd certainly think some of that would transfer over. I know in the US there are a ton of overlapping high level players.
I still need to watch some videos of that Honda guy, too. He's the one character I think I could polish into something really good.
 
Just curious - why isn't Street Fighter bigger in Korea?

Maybe because there are no Korean characters in SF? *shrugs* From what I've seen and know about Koreans, they're very into things and only into things that they themselves are into. ~_~ I'm not being racist, it's just what I see.

I think they'd rather play Starcraft anyways.
 
Maybe because there are no Korean characters in SF? *shrugs* From what I've seen and know about Koreans, they're very into things and only into things that they themselves are into. ~_~ I'm not being racist, it's just what I see.

I think they'd rather play Starcraft anyways.

It's been a while since I've played Starcraft, but are there Korean characters in that game?
 
Just curious - why isn't Street Fighter bigger in Korea? I know they pretty much dominate Tekken, but it seems like they have a pretty minimal SF scene. With a lot of the precision needed in Tekken, you'd certainly think some of that would transfer over. I know in the US there are a ton of overlapping high level players.
I still need to watch some videos of that Honda guy, too. He's the one character I think I could polish into something really good.


I've taught several of my Tekken only friends SF, it doesn't transfer as easy as you think.I play Tekken here and there, I feel it's WAY easier as all the combos are button presses. the motions are only for the moves that start the juggles. One Hard Trial Challenge for Ryu probably has more difficult in-combo inputs than the hardest Tekken combo. Once I get someone stunned or in the air, it's typing with specific timing. The Just Frame moves are challenging, though, but again, aren't very necessary mid combo. There's also no charging or linking, just hits that combo, very mash friendly.
 
Agreed. I don't really like the SF buffer-type combo's. It doesn't feel natural. Game is still fun though.
 
I grew up with the SF system of cancelling moves into other moves, so I'm more comfortable with that system. However I picked up Tekken back when 2 and 3 were big, and I find that lots of SF skills come in handy. If you can play the footsie poking game in SF, Tekken is easier to pick up. The spacing and distance game in Tekken's definitely different because you're dashing instead of jumping.
 
I have concluded I'm going to play Viper only during offline matches, too much work to play her online, just not made for online matches.

Guess I'll stick to easy 3 latency bar characters online.
 
Not sure if the 360 version's the same, but the bar system is meaningless on the PS3. Some of the best connections I've had have been with no bars, and I've had 3 and 4 bar matches drop out or lag to the point of being literally in slow motion.
I generally just choose one of my better characters at the start of every match (in case of lag, I can still be okay) and then branch out if the game turns out to be smooth.
If you want to win online, Blanka, Sagat, and Zangief are 3 prime characters who have moves you can repeat pretty easily. Bison isn't too bad either.
 
Must be where I'm located, cause 3 bars is utterly crap on the PSN for me. 4 bars is questionable also. Capcom really needs to fix the connection issues the game has.

When playing offline against other people, I can see the difference in execution with Viper by a mile. Sometimes input just doesnt get recorded, and Viper is heavily dependent on visual cues and timing.
 
Yeah, I don't play Viper, but I know with her fakes and 2-in-1's that some crazy precision is needed for her.
For me - the bars just don't matter. Sometimes high bar matches totally suck and sometimes no bar matches are like offline bouts. It's why I just ignore the bars most of the time.
 
Yeah.. I blame Canada for crappy connections hahaha :p.

Capcom just needs to fix it.. then I'll be super happy when finding matches online lol
 
I remember trying the SF games, and found I didnt care for them too much. It may because there are alot of button combos that go along with that. I dont like the sports games for that fact either.

I have never purchased a fighting game except for God of war on the PSP. Even then, it was free movement and not.. what do you call it, platform ?
 
Oooh - is that out? I'll have to grab that and try it this weekend. I forgot all about it.
 
Back
Top