Starfield

I’m having mixed emotions about Starfield for a personal reason that might seem a little weird to some…

Okay, deep breath, here it goes. (Just skip this post if you don’t like this sort of thing.)

I’m 56, and believe it or not, until five years ago I’d never had a girlfriend. All my life I wanted one (really badly - especially when I was younger) but my introversion, which is on an extreme level, made it virtually impossible for me. At 50 I’d completely given up on ever having a lady in my life - but then one day, at work, I accidentally blew some snow onto a female colleague (I’m the gardener at a large care centre for the elderly, and in when it’s snowing, and I can’t work in the garden, I remove snow and put down salt). All I heard was a scream, and looked up and saw a young lady with snow all over her. I apologized and said I’d buy her a coffee, without even thinking about it.

The one coffee led to another coffee, and on our second ‘date’ she asked me if I’d go on a hike with her, which led to a dinner date, which led to more hikes, which led to us becoming boyfriend and girlfriend. I couldn’t believe it. Suddenly I was going up to her place every weekend, and having dinner with her almost every night, and going on trips with her, and generally doing all sorts of stuff that I’d never done with another person before… it was a magical time in my life. Not being lonely all the time was a real experience.

The five years went by in a flash, and were by far the happiest of my life. I gave up gaming, for the most part.

My girlfriend turned 35 this year, and although she never discussed it with me face to face, I always knew that she badly wanted to start a family. Unfortunately, I came to realize that she wanted a husband who was closer to her own age, since I knew she wanted to experience life as a grandparent, and hopefully have her husband with her. The age-gap between us was 22 years, which meant we would never be able to grow old together.

Our relationship was so strong, and our connection so deep, that she always said to me that if we ever broke up she’d have to quit her job, since we used to see each other at work continuously.

This year, I had a problem with my heart, which seemed to stun my girlfriend - I just don’t think that at 35 she was prepared to be with a guy who was having a health issue that was more or less related to aging.

Anyway, three months ago I had the shock of a lifetime: my girlfriend and I were going to go for our usual mid-day coffee, but when I went to her office in the kitchen to meet her (she was the nutritionist) I discovered that the lights were out and her door was locked. My first reaction was… she’s quit, and gone back home to her parents, even though that seemed absurd. Her staff were clearly shocked and upset and nobody was talking to me, which made me realize that the nightmare in my head was probably happening in reality.

Our mutual boss confirmed my suspicions an hour later, saying my girlfriend came into his office sobbing, saying she had to leave her job, and was going back home to her family. He tried his best to talk her out of it, but she was determined to leave.

So… long story short… I’m back to where I was before. Alone again. Which means that I now spend most of my time, outside of work, writing and gaming. I’ve written seven novels over the course of thirty years and would like to become a published author one day… although this seems like a fantasy, right now. Writing is what I did before, to ease the loneliness, and gaming is what I used to do at the end of the day, by myself (also to ease the loneliness?).

The gaming thing is a monkey I’d like to have off my back, but it’s something that still makes me somewhat happy, so I do it.

Ten years ago, I would have been ecstatic about a game like this being released - but today it makes me feel sad and regretful that this is all I have right now. I’d like to join in on the fun, but this is a weird time in my life right now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I apologize if you found this annoying. This is a gaming forum, after all. LOL.

Man..well written. What genre are your books? Also...gaming doesn't have to be a monkey. It brings you joy and happiness and as long as you moderate there is no downside.

No DLSS or XeSS in preload files.
According to Twitter user Sebasti66855537, the Starfield preload files show no sign of Nvidia DLSS or Intel XeSS. Sharing a screenshot of the game’s expanded installation folder, there’s nary a trace of team green or blue to be found.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/starfield/nvidia-dlss

Achievements (leak)
https://insider-gaming.com/all-starfield-achievements-detailed/

A Legacy Forged – Complete “A Legacy Forged”
All That Money Can Buy – Complete “All That Money Can Buy”
Entangled – Complete “Entangled”
Executive Level – Complete “Executive Level”
Further Into the Unknown – Complete “Further Into the Unknown”
Guilty Parties – Complete “Guilty Parties”
High Price to Pay – Complete “High Price to Pay”
In Their Footsteps – Complete “In Their Footsteps”
Into the Unknown – Complete “Into the Unknown”
Legacy’s End – Complete “Legacy’s End”
One Giant Leap – Complete “One Giant Leap”
Surgical Strike – Complete “Surgical Strike”
The Best There Is – Complete “The Best There Is”
The Devils You Now – Complete “The Devils You Know”
The Hammer Falls – Complete “The Hammer Falls”
Unearthed – Complete “Unearthed”
Dust Off – Reach Level 5
Traveler – Reach Level 10
Elite – Reach Level 25
Space Opera – Reach Level 50
Reach for the Stars – Reach Level 100
Back to the Grind – Join Ryujin Industries
Deputized – Join the Freestar Rangers
One Small Step – Join Constellation
Rook Meets King – Join the Crimson Fleet
Supra et Ultra – Join the UC Vanguard
For All, Into the Starfield – Enter Space for the First Time
Home Sweet Home – Build an Outpost
Shipping Magnate – Connect 5 Outposts with Cargo Links
I Use Them For Smuggling – Successfully Smuggle Contraband
Chief Engineer – Modify a Ship
Fleet Commander – Collect 10 Ships
Another Bug Hunt – Eliminate 300 Creatures
Boots on the Ground – Land on 100 Planets
The Stars My Destination – Visit all Star Systems
Stellar Cartography – Visit 20 Star Systems
Cyber Jockey – Bypass 50 Digital Locks
Dark Matter – Eliminate 300 Human Enemies
Fixer – Complete 30 Activities
Privateer – Complete 30 Terminal or Misc. Missions
INdustrialist – Produce 500 Total Resources from Outposts
Jacked In – Access 50 Computers
Life Begate Life – Gather 500 Organic Resources
Replicator – Craft 100 Items
Rock Collection – Gather 500 Inorganic Resources
Soldier of Fortune – Mod 50 Weapons
Thirst for Knowledge – Read 20 Skill Magazines
War of Angels – Collect 20 Quantum Essence
The Family You Choose – Recruit 10 Separate Companions
Starcrossed – Reach Maximum Relationship Level with a Companion

Main menu (leak)

How surprising...such bad losers.

See you again on August 31st...
I hope these forums don't get too angsty. I may have to force myself not to look at them. Since I won't be playing the game for at least a few months after release, so that I don't inadvertently become a paying Beta tester. Most high profile AAA releases have been shit shows in recent years. And my current system wouldn't play it at 4k anyways.

It will be interesting to see if bethesda is able to knock it out of the park in terms of technical quality and gameplay quality. I'm rooting for them, but I'm skeptical given their lack of quality over the years.

He's denying the claim that he has early access, just a translation error.
He is saying when the game releases on September 1st he should be able to create the DLSS mods within a day.

https://reddit.com/comments/15v1uug/comment/jwtelmm

That is not true, you are simply spreading rumors.

I said I could get it done in day one because I have done a lot of dx12 games by now and have implemented my own framework that should get it into most dx12 games easier than when I have to implement it from the ground.

I have tested on RDR2 and some other dx12 games that I can reuse 90% of my code, only a few hooks need to be done per-game.

This assumption is inaccurate and irresponsible.

Of course not, why would Bethesda send a modder review code?

Last edited:
I'm only interested in general information about the game, not specific spoiler level info. Hopefully, when folks begin to share stuff here in the next 2 weeks they will use spoiler tags like you did, thanks.
Give me all the spoilers :woot:

No DLSS support already makes that a fail. I'm with you though anyway, waiting and seeing.
You can blame Nvidia for that. You know they pull support from titles once they don't get their way. Bethesda decided to work heavily with AMD, probably pissed Jacket man off, ego maniacs are easily offended.

Nice! No word from AMD Rewards for the promo key I bought here for me yet.. Booooo

"Congratulations on reserving Starfield™ Premium Edition! We will update your account and notify you as soon as the content key is available.

Your key will be assigned as soon as it is available."

STARFIELD DIGITAL PREMIUM EDITION

Star.jpg

You can blame Nvidia for that. You know they pull support from titles once they don't get their way. Bethesda decided to work heavily with AMD, probably pissed Jacket man off, ego maniacs are easily offended.
Not sure why you would need Nvidia support for something like that

I’m having mixed emotions about Starfield for a personal reason that might seem a little weird to some…

Okay, deep breath, here it goes. (Just skip this post if you don’t like this sort of thing.)

I’m 56, and believe it or not, until five years ago I’d never had a girlfriend. All my life I wanted one (really badly - especially when I was younger) but my introversion, which is on an extreme level, made it virtually impossible for me. At 50 I’d completely given up on ever having a lady in my life - but then one day, at work, I accidentally blew some snow onto a female colleague (I’m the gardener at a large care centre for the elderly, and in when it’s snowing, and I can’t work in the garden, I remove snow and put down salt). All I heard was a scream, and looked up and saw a young lady with snow all over her. I apologized and said I’d buy her a coffee, without even thinking about it.

The one coffee led to another coffee, and on our second ‘date’ she asked me if I’d go on a hike with her, which led to a dinner date, which led to more hikes, which led to us becoming boyfriend and girlfriend. I couldn’t believe it. Suddenly I was going up to her place every weekend, and having dinner with her almost every night, and going on trips with her, and generally doing all sorts of stuff that I’d never done with another person before… it was a magical time in my life. Not being lonely all the time was a real experience.

The five years went by in a flash, and were by far the happiest of my life. I gave up gaming, for the most part.

My girlfriend turned 35 this year, and although she never discussed it with me face to face, I always knew that she badly wanted to start a family. Unfortunately, I came to realize that she wanted a husband who was closer to her own age, since I knew she wanted to experience life as a grandparent, and hopefully have her husband with her. The age-gap between us was 22 years, which meant we would never be able to grow old together.

Our relationship was so strong, and our connection so deep, that she always said to me that if we ever broke up she’d have to quit her job, since we used to see each other at work continuously.

This year, I had a problem with my heart, which seemed to stun my girlfriend - I just don’t think that at 35 she was prepared to be with a guy who was having a health issue that was more or less related to aging.

Anyway, three months ago I had the shock of a lifetime: my girlfriend and I were going to go for our usual mid-day coffee, but when I went to her office in the kitchen to meet her (she was the nutritionist) I discovered that the lights were out and her door was locked. My first reaction was… she’s quit, and gone back home to her parents, even though that seemed absurd. Her staff were clearly shocked and upset and nobody was talking to me, which made me realize that the nightmare in my head was probably happening in reality.

Our mutual boss confirmed my suspicions an hour later, saying my girlfriend came into his office sobbing, saying she had to leave her job, and was going back home to her family. He tried his best to talk her out of it, but she was determined to leave.

So… long story short… I’m back to where I was before. Alone again. Which means that I now spend most of my time, outside of work, writing and gaming. I’ve written seven novels over the course of thirty years and would like to become a published author one day… although this seems like a fantasy, right now. Writing is what I did before, to ease the loneliness, and gaming is what I used to do at the end of the day, by myself (also to ease the loneliness?).

The gaming thing is a monkey I’d like to have off my back, but it’s something that still makes me somewhat happy, so I do it.

Ten years ago, I would have been ecstatic about a game like this being released - but today it makes me feel sad and regretful that this is all I have right now. I’d like to join in on the fun, but this is a weird time in my life right now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I apologize if you found this annoying. This is a gaming forum, after all. LOL.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. While reading that I was expecting a happy ending, but it never came.
However, that does not mean there won't be a happy ending for you.

Gaming is escaping reality. You might want to pick up some other hobbies which are a great way to meet new people :)
10 years ago I used to game 15-18 hours per day. Literaly. Today I ride a motorcyle, photograph, go to the gym, paint miniatures, do magnet fishing, 3d printing, ride mountainbike in the forest, study, work and yes I still play video games.
And I live in Sweden with its shitty weather 8 months per year. If I had, say Californian weather, there would be so much to do.

Realize one thing, things are not just going to happen to you. You have to take things into your own hands.
Try to throw some more snow on people, lol. A lot of women dream about bumping into a man. Searching for love will rarely yield results.

I don’t want to drag the thread down, but I’m definitely on the “don’t trust Todd Howard” train on any piece of his work.

Sad to say but I’m expecting this to be a mediocre game. Much like D4.

Since I purchased Premium Edition, and September 1 falls on a Friday, I'm taking a 3 day weekend. :D

I don’t want to drag the thread down, but I’m definitely on the “don’t trust Todd Howard” train on any piece of his work.

Sad to say but I’m expecting this to be a mediocre game. Much like D4.

If it is mediocre or bad and I very much hope it is not then the amount of copium that will happene in this and other forums will be off the charts

I know it won't be bad like redfall but can you imagine how the internet would handle it if it was, it would be both terrifying and hilarious to see the nerd rage and defensiveness folks would do to justify getting hyped into pre ordering.

I think the most likely worst case scenario is that it's just skyrim with a new coat of paint and next to no evolution in game play, with the usual Bethesda jank and overall technical and storytelling mediocrity. Fingers crossed though that they have set themselves to a higher standard this time.

Last edited:
Just wait and see how many of us bitch and moan if it sucks!
I've never seen a game where so many people feel the need to tell other people that they've purchased it

Personally I’ve set my expectations in the realm of reasonable and bought my key here for $40. Im certain that I’ll get enough entertainment out of it for 40 bones.

PlanetSide 2 was the only Space game I really liked Getting Transfered in those big Air Buses at the Vanu soverinty base people just picking you up dropping you off mid air to where the action was. The most fun I had was spending hours trying to take over the Crown with Sundees and Tanks.

I will be playing this game with Game Pass.
I will be playing the game wearing my red bermuda shorts, firefly t-shirt, with my monitor tilted 45° away from the window, my ceiling fan set to medium, a tall glass of strawberry lemonade at my desk, a big pot of soup simmering low on the stove, and my chair placed 4 feet away from my monitor. I will have showered that morning using moderately warm water temperature and may or may not have shaved. I will likely go for a forty five minute run in the early evening.

FYI some of us depending on your time zone will be able to play 8/31 afternoon/evening. I got a 4 day weekend scheduled.
39k17sp2a6jb1.jpg

IMG stolen off of reddit.

Back