Starfield

Time to brush up on chemistry.

6rv0tsdi15fb1.png

Last edited:
Jeez- I looked up SiH3CI- Chlorosilane!? I hope we don't need to keep a chemistry book handy during gameplay...

Jeez- I looked up SiH3CI- Chlorosilane!? I hope we don't need to keep a chemistry book handy during gameplay...
Most of those elements and compounds are used in the production of electronics, so my assumption is we're collecting elements for space ships or supporting space travel. There are some exceptions that go to supporting life, like H₂O (water, of course), Cl (chlorine), and R-COOH (carboxylic acid). Chlorine can be used to purify water and carboxylic acid as a food preservative.

If you pay for early access this game releases exactly 4 weeks from today. Pretty exciting.

Early access on a Bugthesda game... *holds breath*... I'm still looking forward to it. ;)
It’s really just an added bonus if you buy the premium edition instead of the regular - you’re also getting the expansion.

For me, it’s mostly about the sense of community I feel when playing a huge release on day one. I just like to take part in the discussion.

Early access on a Bugthesda game... *holds breath*... I'm still looking forward to it. ;)
Me too but I given their track record and the general state of AAA releases, it's prudent to see what kind of state it comes out in before buying
They'll never admit it to themselves, but the people who are preordering are victims of hype

Me too but I given their track record and the general state of AAA releases, it's prudent to see what kind of state it comes out in before buying
They'll never admit it to themselves, but the people who are preordering are victims of hype
I personally believe that because Bethesda has retained its talent over decades (unlike BioWare, unlike EA, unlike Arcane) they have learned and matured as developers and with this release will give us the least buggy Bethesda game ever.

Also, I’m 56 now, and time is more important than money. I’ve been waiting on this game for years, and I want to play it the second it releases.

Honestly, the way this year has gone for me, I might not even be here next year. Even as I write this my heart is doing funny things. The prudent thing for me, as a major enthusiast of pc gaming, is to play any game right now!

I personally believe that because Bethesda has retained its talent over decades (unlike BioWare, unlike EA, unlike Arcane) they have learned and matured as developers and with this release will give us the least buggy Bethesda game ever.

Also, I’m 56 now, and time is more important than money. I’ve been waiting on this game for years, and I want to play it the second it releases.

Honestly, the way this year has gone for me, I might not even be here next year. Even as I write this my heart is doing funny things. The prudent thing for me, as a major enthusiast of pc gaming, is to play any game right now!

Wishing you the best. :)

Take care of yourself! I'm also suffering a case of the Olds, but going to wait for it to be running (fairly) smoothly because I don't have time for beta testing any more. There are so many fully patched things to play.

Wishing you the best. :)
Thank you.

I’ve been somewhat addicted to PC gaming since the Fall of 1985 when I bought my first game. Unlike so many guys I know from that period, I’ve been unable to get this monkey off my back.

Sometimes I wish I had invested my time and energy on building a family - but for me that was never really in the cards.

I am having minor regrets now that I’m having health issues though. Just wondering if I’ve spent my time wisely. That said, I’ll be playing Baldur’s Gate 3 again tonight, so maybe I just can’t help it.

Thank you.

I’ve been somewhat addicted to PC gaming since the Fall of 1985 when I bought my first game. Unlike so many guys I know from that period, I’ve been unable to get this monkey off my back.

Sometimes I wish I had invested my time and energy on building a family - but for me that was never really in the cards.

I am having minor regrets now that I’m having health issues though. Just wondering if I’ve spent my time wisely. That said, I’ll be playing Baldur’s Gate 3 again tonight, so maybe I just can’t help it.
If you've enjoyed your time and have been a good person to those that you have interacted with, you're ahead of most.

It's too bad you aren't a small child, Bethesda would probably invite you to their HQ and you could get an early copy from Todd himself.

Is Starfield more of a No Man's Sky type space simulator game? or is it a quest driven shooter like Cyberpunk but set in space where you get to travel between planets?

Starfield edition 7800X3D and 7900 XTX are being given away in random drawings during Quakecon today. Only 500 of each have been made and they're all being given away today. They said watch the Twitch stream and their social media.

I wonder if the size will get bigger from world gen as you play.

Did they say it generates different every time you play?

My understanding was that they generated all that stuff already then added the hand made stuff on top of it. I only watched a couple of the announcement videos and trailers though. Since I already know I'm buying it and don't want to spoil anything.

Did they say it generates different every time you play?

My understanding was that they generated all that stuff already then added the hand made stuff on top of it. I only watched a couple of the announcement videos and trailers though. Since I already know I'm buying it and don't want to spoil anything.
if i understand correctly, nothing is procedurally generated *at the time of playing.* i believe they said PG was used to help along the design process and then like you said, everything was hand-massaged.

I was going to say something similar. I don't think Starfield will be that bad though, and if it is they will patch it. They are big enough and can likely stay afloat even if it takes a year to fix it. But this developer has a history of rough launches and at least one horrible game.

For Starfield I will wait and see. I assume it will likely be in an acceptable state 1-3 months post release judging from their previous games I have played, so there isn't much of a rush. If it is better day one, then that will be great to hear.
Which horrible game are you referencing? Fallout 76? If so that "failure" has ironically sold 13 million copies.

The handful suggesting "don't preorder, wait for reviews" etc are reiterating a good rule of thumb for game releases in general, but also seem to not understand how massive this game is actually going to be. Meaning any launch bugs are not even going to matter because of the mass and inertia of this title. And it'll become a permanent gaming fixture - aided partly by modding - so launch-window-hype playerbase won't fall off a cliff within weeks like most disposable AAA releases, but will slow-burn and sustain a large playerbase for a decade+. Millions of preorders, 25 million game pass subscribers, even without PS5 sales the raw numbers are pointing to it likely being the biggest game of the year, at least until COD 2023 in November.

I've also seen the argument "But it doesn't have Fallout or Skyrim/ES name recognition so it won't be as big". And yet I think those people are also missing the perspective from above, because I'd lay money that Starfield will in time become their biggest, most high profile and profitable IP of all time. One idiot's opinion.

Last edited:
this is the first big AAA title from Bethesda tat's going to be available Day 1 on Game Pass...so it'll be interesting to see the sales numbers...will it be huge?- sure but I think a lot of people are also going to play this on GP

Oh interesting, so if you have Gamepass PC you can buy the upgrade bundle for $35 and still get the game early.

Well, that is interesting. If I’m done with BG3 by then and impressions from people playing on the first day or two of are solid I might be tempted to go that route.

Back