• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So, who's thinking about Borderlands?

There are a few chests in New Haven (on rooftops) which load random guns in them, the chests respawn whenever you quit the game and restart. Some people have been exploiting this by looting the chests, quitting the game, restarting, looting again and repeating over and over.

I don't suggest you do this as it'll just break the game's economy for your character. Now obviously the economy will eventually become inconsequential as in most games, but Borderlands imo does a great job of maintaining economical balance as long as possible on your first playthrough.

I see, I don't mind having more player power to dictate my chances to get power weapons I am pretty sure I am nearing the end of the game or atleast halfway and I most likely will never go through a 2nd play through again unless it's coop for when I am bored.

But here's a general question about the weapons. The names generally come in different colors white, green, blue, purple, yellow orange and orange are what I have encountered so far. I am pretty sure white are usually the weakest and orange are the strongest right? But here's something... I have had purple level 7 weapons and then green level 13 weapons for example and the green's stats are better... so it's quite confusing sometime. Can somebody go into this with more/clearer detail on how this scheme works?
 
I see, I don't mind having more player power to dictate my chances to get power weapons I am pretty sure I am nearing the end of the game or atleast halfway and I most likely will never go through a 2nd play through again unless it's coop for when I am bored.

But here's a general question about the weapons. The names generally come in different colors white, green, blue, purple, yellow orange and orange are what I have encountered so far. I am pretty sure white are usually the weakest and orange are the strongest right? But here's something... I have had purple level 7 weapons and then green level 13 weapons for example and the green's stats are better... so it's quite confusing sometime. Can somebody go into this with more/clearer detail on how this scheme works?

The colors denote the rarity of the item, not the power. I do not remember the order of the colors, but they are ranked to show when you get a rare item and obviously, the more rare the item, the more it is worth to sell.
 
The colors denote the rarity of the item, not the power. I do not remember the order of the colors, but they are ranked to show when you get a rare item and obviously, the more rare the item, the more it is worth to sell.

ahhh. thanks for clarifying that.
 
I found 2 hellfire x4 fire on my Soldier play through at lvl 28 (already gone through with a Hunter) so 2 hellfires should last me till...the end of the 2nd play through + the soldier has ammo regen for himself and team members

Got to love the 7 chests around New Haven (8 if you count the basement chest)
 
The colors denote the rarity of the item, not the power. I do not remember the order of the colors, but they are ranked to show when you get a rare item and obviously, the more rare the item, the more it is worth to sell.
White<Green<Blue<Purple<Orange. Of course, a green or blue weapon that you find later on in the game would most likely be more powerful than an early purple weapon. I find that rarer weapons tend to last you longer than more common guns though, since they often have special attributes or elemental damage that make them more powerful than other weapons at the same level.
 
The story is pretty well done. The game play is nice too compared to other games I've played. The co-op mode makes it much more enjoyable because it scales with how many players are in the game. The single player is kind of a joke so it does get a bit bland if you play by yourself. So far so good, though.
 
Since there is no apparent easy way to organize voice using Vent, I thought I would ask here. Is there some central Vent server you are all using to talk?
 
White<Green<Blue<Purple<Orange. Of course, a green or blue weapon that you find later on in the game would most likely be more powerful than an early purple weapon. I find that rarer weapons tend to last you longer than more common guns though, since they often have special attributes or elemental damage that make them more powerful than other weapons at the same level.

It should be noted that "Orange" means Anything from a bright Yellow all the way to a deep, dark orange(like this guy -> :cool: ). You can sort your items from rarest to most common, and that's the order. However, there's also "Pearl" items. These are white, but are actually more rare than the rarest Dark Orange items. That's something I didn't know, and something that has perhaps caused me to miss out on items. Not from now on :p
 
I was under the impression that no one used it... Guess not.

It's automatic as far as I can tell.. you do nothing to control it, just checks if you have a microphone.

It's alright, I wish there was push to talk / more obvious system...
 
Ok, yeah, I stayed up late just to get to the ending....and WTF was gearbox thinking? This was a giant insult to the players IMO. For all of the imagination they put into this game, that ending just makes no damn sense to me. It's stupid as hell. Heck, I'm a siren, and I just ran past everything on the level before you reach the vault because I wanted to get it over with quickly. It's just lame.

I spent all day today finishing playthrough 2 start to finish just to see if you got something better than playthrough 1.

It's the same LAME ending.

I just sat there staring at my screen wondering wth I can do with my 50 now. Oh well, hopefully the zombie dlc is worth looking into...
 
Ok, yeah, I stayed up late just to get to the ending....and WTF was gearbox thinking? This was a giant insult to the players IMO. For all of the imagination they put into this game, that ending just makes no damn sense to me. It's stupid as hell. Heck, I'm a siren, and I just ran past everything on the level before you reach the vault because I wanted to get it over with quickly. It's just lame.

Actually, not really... it's "philosophical".

As there are in real life, it's a myth, and no one knows whether the vault holds treasure or horror. If you know the mythology behind Pandora's Box, and think of it along those lines, as well as the search for the Ark, you'd understand.

There was never any treasure promised... it's about the quest to get to the vault. The companies use alien technology to give you weapons to help (use) you to help get to vault to find out just exactly what the vault contains.

In the end, such as in Pandora's Box (which can contain things of nightmare), the vault was never anything more than a prison for the Destroyer.

It's about myth and the quest itself to get there. All the weapons you get and experiences you have along the way are what it's all about.

You have to think of it from these perspectives because, honestly, there was more thought and intelligence put into the ending, and your progression towards the ending, than people realize.

As for those feeling "cheated" by not receiving some insane, massive weapons etc. at the end, again, you get a ton of different insanely weapons and loot along the way, especially from the 2nd play-through onwards. Again, it's about the quest.
 
Actually, not really... it's "philosophical".

As there are in real life, it's a myth, and no one knows whether the vault holds treasure or horror. If you know the mythology behind Pandora's Box, and think of it along those lines, as well as the search for the Ark, you'd understand.

There was never any treasure promised... it's about the quest to get to the vault. The companies use alien technology to give you weapons to help (use) you to help get to vault to find out just exactly what the vault contains.

In the end, such as in Pandora's Box (which can contain things of nightmare), the vault was never anything more than a prison for the Destroyer.

It's about myth and the quest itself to get there. All the weapons you get and experiences you have along the way are what it's all about.

You have to think of it from these perspectives because, honestly, there was more thought and intelligence put into the ending, and your progression towards the ending, than people realize.

As for those feeling "cheated" by not receiving some insane, massive weapons etc. at the end, again, you get a ton of different insanely weapons and loot along the way, especially from the 2nd play-through onwards. Again, it's about the quest.

...
I think you're over thinking just a tad too much...
 
6b97fab17b46f9cf1f351aee37c554937ef58b19.png
 
anyone here like me cant seems to find a better weapon .. got a lvl 13 repeater pistols that i cant seem to be able to get a better one. Its so incredible.
 
Actually, not really... it's "philosophical".

As there are in real life, it's a myth, and no one knows whether the vault holds treasure or horror. If you know the mythology behind Pandora's Box, and think of it along those lines, as well as the search for the Ark, you'd understand.

There was never any treasure promised... it's about the quest to get to the vault. The companies use alien technology to give you weapons to help (use) you to help get to vault to find out just exactly what the vault contains.

In the end, such as in Pandora's Box (which can contain things of nightmare), the vault was never anything more than a prison for the Destroyer.

It's about myth and the quest itself to get there. All the weapons you get and experiences you have along the way are what it's all about.

You have to think of it from these perspectives because, honestly, there was more thought and intelligence put into the ending, and your progression towards the ending, than people realize.

As for those feeling "cheated" by not receiving some insane, massive weapons etc. at the end, again, you get a ton of different insanely weapons and loot along the way, especially from the 2nd play-through onwards. Again, it's about the quest.
You can easily read into anything with a bunch of shinanigans.

Fact of the matter is... the developers got lazy when designing the end of the game. It reeks of last second plop a boss with a lot of hp and then leave it at that.
 
You can easily read into anything with a bunch of shinanigans.

Fact of the matter is... the developers got lazy when designing the end of the game. It reeks of last second plop a boss with a lot of hp and then leave it at that.

Haha, -exactly- my thoughts! Such a let down.
But whatever. Playing it through again to get better guns~~~
 
I'm having major difficulty joining online games. All of my ports are forwarded (about 12 ports), but Gamespy very rarely connects. I spent 45 minutes looking for a game last night and gave up, it's the first time I've used Gamespy and it seems appalling. Has anyone else got problems connecting? .
 
I'm having major difficulty joining online games. All of my ports are forwarded (about 12 ports), but Gamespy very rarely connects. I spent 45 minutes looking for a game last night and gave up, it's the first time I've used Gamespy and it seems appalling. Has anyone else got problems connecting? .

Forwarding ports will not help you join games. Port forwarding is for the host. Make sure your windows firewall is down.
 
Ok, sirens flat out rule. I'm at L24 and can now blow stuff up when I hit phase, and after a couple of kills I cause elemental fire damage where I walk. I also found a class mod that boosts several of my higher level abilities. If you're looking for mods, there are usually a ton in Earl's Scrap Yard.

My favorite move is when I find a bunch of baddies standing next to some explosive barrels. I just run into them, phase, and the barrels explode on them. Meanwhile they're also getting electrical damage, and when the phase is over if any of them are alive, they get lit on fire. I love this game. :p

Same, my Phase does fire and electrical damage.
 
Forwarding ports will not help you join games. Port forwarding is for the host. Make sure your windows firewall is down.

Windows Firewall has Borderlands as an exception. I can connect very occasionally, I'm stumped. I think I may use Gameranger instead.
 
Same, my Phase does fire and electrical damage.

It gets better. I'm at L45 and I can toss electrical+fire/more electrical/corrosive/explosive just by changing out elemental artifacts. There are also some great class mods out there.
 
Actually, not really... it's "philosophical".....snip

Well the primary function of this game is to help me have fun. Hiding behind a pillar and dumping a few thousand rounds of ammo into something not hitting me back isn't exactly the level of fun I've come to expect from this game. It was pretty lame really. It could have been more interesting if they had even dropped in some guardians while you were killing it that forced you to move around; but that apparently would have been to difficult. :rolleyes:

Then he should have dropped all purple items. I didn't do anything with the stuff he dropped beside sell it.

So in summary: awesome game...crappy ending.
 
So after I got over my initial frustration of getting the game to work (wont launch with second monitor activated) and figuring out how to edit the .ini files to fix the FOV (my God its terrible!!!) I forced myself to play the game a bit and got into it.

The UI is still terrible. Clicking up arrows doesn't work. Really? QA? comparing weapons is a chore, and different depending on what you are doing. Inventory management is equally tedious and stupid. The Map needs work. The transport points have to be memorized, theres no real correlation to them and the zones, along with the mission locations. Which t-port do I need to go to, in order to work on this mission? Start guessing.

Graphics - love them or hate them I guess. They didn't bother me or wow me. Game does look better at night with low lights.
Missions - fun, although some were tedious (jump like an acrobat to reach the gun part hiding in the junk pile). Not a SINGLE bugged quest to report....thats pretty good if you think about it. Voice acting was superb and often made me laugh.

Some of the boss battles were fun, some were impossible for me (Mad Mel?) and the final Boss was trivial.

The story was OK going along, but ended terribly. At least some dialogue about what happened and what the point was would have made a huge difference. Reminded me of the Sopranos ending. I like how I go back to town, after just singlehandedly destroying great evil, discovering the long lost vault, and in general saved the universe, and everyones just like "hey."

overall id give the game a B-

Its real saving grace? Its addictive once your rolling and you dont want to put it down. Thats a good measure of success. Another thing...not a single crash. EVER.
 
Last edited:
Windows Firewall has Borderlands as an exception. I can connect very occasionally, I'm stumped. I think I may use Gameranger instead.

It's because people don't forward ports. I saw so many games that were 3 slots available because nobody knows about forwarding ports.

Everytime I hosted (with forwarded ports) I got people joining real quick... helps if you say ports frwrd in the host name or something so they know what you're talking about.

But anyways.
 
Is there anywhere to store your stuff? I hate dropping weapons to grab better ones, when I'd like to store them in a bank of some kind.
 
So after I got over my initial frustration of getting the game to work (wont launch with second monitor activated) and figuring out how to edit the .ini files to fix the FOV (my God its terrible!!!) I forced myself to play the game a bit and got into it.

The UI is still terrible. Clicking up arrows doesn't work. Really? QA? comparing weapons is a chore, and different depending on what you are doing. Inventory management is equally tedious and stupid. The Map needs work. The transport points have to be memorized, theres no real correlation to them and the zones, along with the mission locations. Which t-port do I need to go to, in order to work on this mission? Start guessing.

Graphics - love them or hate them I guess. They didn't bother me or wow me. Game does look better at night with low lights.
Missions - fun, although some were tedious (jump like an acrobat to reach the gun part hiding in the junk pile). Not a SINGLE bugged quest to report....thats pretty good if you think about it. Voice acting was superb and often made me laugh.

Some of the boss battles were fun, some were impossible for me (Mad Mel?) and the final Boss was trivial.

The story was OK going along, but ended terribly. At least some dialogue about what happened and what the point was would have made a huge difference. Reminded me of the Sopranos ending. I like how I go back to town, after just singlehandedly destroying great evil, discovering the long lost vault, and in general saved the universe, and everyones just like "hey."

overall id give the game a B-

Its real saving grace? Its addictive once your rolling and you dont want to put it down. Thats a good measure of success. Another thing...not a single crash. EVER.

have you tried to kill mothtrak? harddddd, id say how but dont wanna spoil it for those who havent made it to him
 
yeah no kidding about mothrakk, rakknest too since I was alone with only sniper rifles and revolvers, probably a lot easier with a combat rifle or 2+ people for the rakks to chase.
 
I've found that the game is pretty easy if you are lucky enough to find one of the thousands of orange level 34+ guns with x4 elemental dmg. My volcano sniper rifle fires exploding AOE rounds with 100% chance to set on fire. 1 shots pretty much everything but the big ones, and that's like 2-3 shots on playthrough 2.
 
Can't wait! I haven't found any oranges, but I haven't really been playing with 3 other high level players, mostly been doing 2 player coop with someone a few levels behind, and I just hit level 30 myself.
 
Is there anywhere to store your stuff? I hate dropping weapons to grab better ones, when I'd like to store them in a bank of some kind.

Only way I can think of is to host a new game on a separate computer and use the new character as a mule.
 
That sucks.. I was hoping to be able to sell to the vending machine, and buy back for the same price in another city, but no deal. Even though you can buy it back at the same vending machine for the same price.. I decided not to risk it.
 
Back
Top