• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So, who's thinking about Borderlands?

Actually, he's right. Randy (lead dev) mentioned he left the ending open-ended so that they had other areas to explore in future DLC. Put it this way, with the vault being what it was, there's other areas the devs can focus on. If the vault was a treasure chest, the story would basically be over.

Just like when everyone stopped playing Diablo once they killed Diablo.
 
Just like when everyone stopped playing Diablo once they killed Diablo.

More like:

"Just like when everyone stopped playing Diablo once they got to Diablo to only find a treasure chest with a bunch of shinies in it, and no Diablo to kill, and some guy shows up and says sorry, tricked you thanks!" And then it ended with no explanation.
 
More like:

"Just like when everyone stopped playing Diablo once they got to Diablo to only find a treasure chest with a bunch of shinies in it, and no Diablo to kill, and some guy shows up and says sorry, tricked you thanks!" And then it ended with no explanation.

More like after they killed diablo by going afk and watching tv while pressing left click, the loot that Diablo dropped was worse than the loot you can get by opening several different chests in town over and over.

After killing Diablo, the game abruptly ends with no explanation.
 
But, what ever... the ending was clearly understood by me and some others, and I appreciate the fact that they actually created an intelligent ending revolving around the mythology of the vault. It does in fact do what they intended, and leave the game open-ended for future content, as well as avoids the repetitive and over-done end-scenario of "bad guy explodes, world is saved, tons of loot... game over" methodology.

But, if you hated the ending... to each his/her own. Just don't blame the devs for a "bad ending", when in truth, it's not understood by those who simply cant/don't want to give something a little thought.

"If you don't like the ending, that's fine, but it means you didn't understand it."

Good stuff.

The mythology of the vault? What mythology? All I or anyone else in the game knew about it was that it was a vault, and that inside vaults are things that must be valuable enough to KEEP inside vaults. Other than that there was no myth! It's not as if you spent the whole game doing other things, slowly finding clues leading you to the vault. The game, as far as keeping you interested with something resembling a story is concerned, is totally on-rails. That wouldn't be so bad if the game included some meaningful content, but it doesn't. You learn next to nothing about anything. Doom3 had more history and intrigue in it than this game, and Doom3 was about monsters jumping out of closets in the dark.

Planescape: Torment had a much less eventful ending than this. So uneventful, in-fact, that you can end the last 20 minutes of the game simply through talking rather than fighting. There's a 30-second(ish) cutscene that ends with you walking off into a battlefield. That ending was PERFECT, but not because of what it was on its own. The ending was perfect because of everything you had experienced up to that point. You learned so much about yourself and your companions, you learned about all the good things you had done but more importantly, all of the bad things as well. It was your time to accept your punishment, and to finally die. The end. Perfection.

The fact that the gameplay is decent means I can ignore the crappy story/ending. If the story can't stand for and explain itself, it has failed, and no amount of you telling people "But seroiusly guys, it's really actually good!" is going to help. Borderlands did a terrible job of giving you a sense of purpose and led you along with solely a carrot on a stick only to have you find out that not only was there no carrot, the stick was poised to smack you in the face! What, are they teaching me about morals with this game? "Don't be greedy or a giant interdimensional space-monster will eat you!"

The game is fun, it really is, but I don't see how you can defend the ending like you are. Especially to the point of saying everyone who doesn't like the ending just doesn't "get it" like you do. Real cool, man. Real cool.
 
The game is fun, it really is, but I don't see how you can defend the ending like you are. Especially to the point of saying everyone who doesn't like the ending just doesn't "get it" like you do. Real cool, man. Real cool.

Perfect.
 
I don't really care about the ending mostly because the whole story was pretty boring and not the reason I played the game.

The one thing that annoyed me was that there was no difference between chests. The chest at the end of a harder main line mission had the exact same chance to drop a good item as the chest in new haven with no one defending it.
 
Yeah, the story was definitely an afterthought. It's clearly the standard for this kind of loot-oriented game. The players are in it for the levels and loot.

But there's nothing stopping the developers from having a good story at the same time. I think they could have spent a little more time developing the world a bit more. Guess they just didn't have the budget for more writers? Seems like they didn't budget enough man-hours for a lot of things since what they implemented was done well, but the game's failings are in what they didn't implement. Now that they've got an established franchise and software foundation, I hope they can improve on these things in the next iteration of the game.

I don't think borderlands is really competing in the same category as Planescape.. Borderlands compares closer to Hellgate London, Diablo, Titan's quest, Mythos, etc.
 
I don't think borderlands is really competing in the same category as Planescape.. Borderlands compares closer to Hellgate London, Diablo, Titan's quest, Mythos, etc.

Ah, my point was that it was a similarly short ending. Also, that it is a good example of a kind of ending you need to think about because of the way the game unfolds throughout. Obviously they're not meant to be in the same category story-wise.

The real issue is that at the end of Borderlands it didn't feel like the game was ending, it was entirely anticlimactic. What's more, you don't get anything from it; Not in-game, not even something philosophical to reflect on. All-in-all, it's one of the worst endings I've seen.
 
Now that I think about it, I'm kinda wondering why I expected anything resembling godly loot from a boss like that. He's flatout UNWORTHY of good loot dropping.

He's stationary, has massive critical areas, and spawns off-shoots that grant your characters kill bonuses. There's ample cover to hide behind and he has only 1 attack that can really circumvent the cover closest to him(the ground pound). There's was no special thing you had to figure out or even a simple pattern to memorize. Hell, He even killed all the crimson lance guys in the area for you.

I've beaten him 4 times now, 2 per playthrough, and I consider the ending stretch leading up to him the real boss fight. The way he is now is not worthy of good loot to drop. He's just a stationary mass of HP you have to whittle down.
 
Now that I think about it, I'm kinda wondering why I expected anything resembling godly loot from a boss like that. He's flatout UNWORTHY of good loot dropping.

He's stationary, has massive critical areas, and spawns off-shoots that grant your characters kill bonuses. There's ample cover to hide behind and he has only 1 attack that can really circumvent the cover closest to him(the ground pound). There's was no special thing you had to figure out or even a simple pattern to memorize. Hell, He even killed all the crimson lance guys in the area for you.

I've beaten him 4 times now, 2 per playthrough, and I consider the ending stretch leading up to him the real boss fight. The way he is now is not worthy of good loot to drop. He's just a stationary mass of HP you have to whittle down.

But what do you get from the stuff leading up to him that's so great? When I say the ending for a game like this should result in loot, I don't necessarily mean the last Boss needs to have swallowed it all. I just mean that at some point, the game needs to be over and I need to be sitting in my throne with all my newfound swag at my feet. That didn't happen.
 
But what do you get from the stuff leading up to him that's so great? When I say the ending for a game like this should result in loot, I don't necessarily mean the last Boss needs to have swallowed it all. I just mean that at some point, the game needs to be over and I need to be sitting in my throne with all my newfound swag at my feet. That didn't happen.

Oh I'm pissed he doesn't drop good loot either(Baal and Mephy never held out like this!), I'm just trying to look at it from another perspective so I don't keep getting pissed about it.

The kicker is that after you take him down and sell all the vendor trash he dropped for you, what do you get for turning in the key? More cash! No cool artifact, weapon, or meaningful piece of equipment.

And then that just adds another plothole. Where the hell did Tanis get all that cash from?
 
It gets better. I'm at L45 and I can toss electrical+fire/more electrical/corrosive/explosive just by changing out elemental artifacts. There are also some great class mods out there.

Haha yeah, I finally got to the point where Phase walking = cheats lol:p

I am so over powered with it now. When I come out of it I can do so right next to an enemy, because I am immune for a few seconds - Enough time to crit with my shotgun.
 
I cant wait to start a new playthrough as siren, but I'm still on the fence whether I should start playthrough 2 on my hunter, or start as siren. I've gotta be really close to the end of playthrough1.

Any suggestions?
 
I cant wait to start a new playthrough as siren, but I'm still on the fence whether I should start playthrough 2 on my hunter, or start as siren. I've gotta be really close to the end of playthrough1.

Any suggestions?

My first playthrough was soldier.
Second is Siren.

Siren seems like it would be way more different than a hunter.
 
I am enjoying my experience with this game so far. I have played about 4 hours or so as the hunter, which I am enjoying, the headshots are rather satisfying. I really like the art direction. However I feel like it could have been better. Most of the items are vendor trash, and the world feels largely empty. Granted I am playing through as singleplayer because honestly I don't trust people on the internet. It really feels like a single player MMO sort of like Hellgate London only much better executed. I will probably do a second play through with a different class in multiplayer to get that experience as well.
 
I've gotta say, I wish I had just played all the way through in single player, or on a lan, playing on the internet I feel like I've missed a little as far as actually getting to read the quest descriptions. I'm sure I'll catch up on playthrough 2.
 
So far I'm hearing on the forums is that Brick loses his shine during the second playthrough since the enemies start doing enough damage that they can kill you through beserk, and launchers and explosives don't compare well with hellfire smgs, anarchy smgs, and masher revolvers. They end up focusing on gunplay and reserving beserk for clean-up work or recovering for damage instead of charging in to use their fists.

Roland seems solid all the way through since his skill trees take a balanced approach to offense and defense, but the loot system lacks really powerful shotguns and combat rifles that synergize with his skills in the same way that SMGs do for Sirens, and Pistols do for Hunters. But his team oriented abilities make up for lost solo potential.

Siren is incredibly powerful. High offense from either the anarchy smgs or hellfire smg paths, plus high defense from being able to phasewalk constantly to get invincibility and reset health and shields to full.

Hunter also very high offense from constant bloodwing dives, and super powerful shotgun pistols(masher revolvers). Defense isn't so great since you can get killed before bloodwing comes back with health, and riotous remedy works so slowly.

Everybody is viable at the late-game since everybody can use the same equipment, but the skills benefit some more than others at the end.
 
I just finished play through 1 with Brick and I must say that everything from the flat salts on was a breeze for some reason.

I was level 30 going in and the enemies were all 28 for a long time. When I hit level 34 I started getting some level 30 opposition.

The last run leading to the boss was run and gun with no challenge for me.

I'm sure it will be a lot harder on my second play through.
 
I just have bought Borderlands. It is downloading at home while I'm at work.

Question 1: I'm interested in mid range combat class with guns. Which one fits this explanation? I do not like close combat and sniper sounds way to easy to play.

Question 2: Shall I start playing alone from the begining or try to find servers with co-op people who also just start playing and join them?
 
I just have bought Borderlands. It is downloading at home while I'm at work.

Question 1: I'm interested in mid range combat class with guns. Which one fits this explanation? I do not like close combat and sniper sounds way to easy to play.

Question 2: Shall I start playing alone from the begining or try to find servers with co-op people who also just start playing and join them?
The soldier class fits what you're looking for. It uses a turret as your special ability which you get at level 5 if I recall. Overall, fun class.

The game is quite easy on single player so if you want a challenge, better loot, start doing co-op. And from playing this game a lot, co-op is more enjoyable than the single player walkthrough.
 
The soldier class fits what you're looking for. It uses a turret as your special ability which you get at level 5 if I recall. Overall, fun class.

The game is quite easy on single player so if you want a challenge, better loot, start doing co-op. And from playing this game a lot, co-op is more enjoyable than the single player walkthrough.

Gott, thank you for answer!

Easy game doesn't sound good for me. I like challange. Like to be a squad leader in the middle of the fight in Battlefield 2142. Give me problems to cope, please :)

Regarding coop. I guess it is not difficult nowdays to find games where people just started to play the game from the begining and join them? Or how does it work to find such servers? Shall I host my own? :)
 
Gott, thank you for answer!

Easy game doesn't sound good for me. I like challange. Like to be a squad leader in the middle of the fight in Battlefield 2142. Give me problems to cope, please :)

Regarding coop. I guess it is not difficult nowdays to find games where people just started to play the game from the begining and join them? Or how does it work to find such servers? Shall I host my own? :)
You can host your own public server if you want. Or you can join one that's right for your level. The server list is something to be desired but if you refresh it, you'll find a server with players around your level in no time.
 
You can host your own public server if you want. Or you can join one that's right for your level. The server list is something to be desired but if you refresh it, you'll find a server with players around your level in no time.

BTW, shall I first play through tutorial of the game to understand game mechanics before joining any public coop servers?
 
So far I'm hearing on the forums is that Brick loses his shine during the second playthrough since the enemies start doing enough damage that they can kill you through beserk, and launchers and explosives don't compare well with hellfire smgs, anarchy smgs, and masher revolvers. They end up focusing on gunplay and reserving beserk for clean-up work or recovering for damage instead of charging in to use their fists.

Roland seems solid all the way through since his skill trees take a balanced approach to offense and defense, but the loot system lacks really powerful shotguns and combat rifles that synergize with his skills in the same way that SMGs do for Sirens, and Pistols do for Hunters. But his team oriented abilities make up for lost solo potential.

Siren is incredibly powerful. High offense from either the anarchy smgs or hellfire smg paths, plus high defense from being able to phasewalk constantly to get invincibility and reset health and shields to full.

Hunter also very high offense from constant bloodwing dives, and super powerful shotgun pistols(masher revolvers). Defense isn't so great since you can get killed before bloodwing comes back with health, and riotous remedy works so slowly.

Everybody is viable at the late-game since everybody can use the same equipment, but the skills benefit some more than others at the end.

I have a level 50 brick that finished both playthroughs. On the 2nd playthrough I took out all my points in the berserking tree and focused mainly on the rocket / gun tree and the defense tree.

With the massive HP / Shield pool you get (and yes it's massive), it's worth something. The increased fire rate / dmg after killing something is incredibly useful albeit not always consistent. If you find the right rockets (I had 915x3 with x4 fire), things just get torn up and you pretty much never run out of rocket ammo.
 
BTW, shall I first play through tutorial of the game to understand game mechanics before joining any public coop servers?
That's what I did. It goes over basic things in the game that you will use so it's good to do that up until level 5.
 
I've fallen out of favour with the game.

I'm bored of looting, killing the same things, running through the same locations. Feels very repetitive almost Farcry 2 like ;(

I feel I wasted money on this one, I can't see myself going back to it as there is so much out that is more interesting.
 
Press on a little, you're just getting to the point where you can start developing your characters skills and making things interesting. Plus you'll start finding some pretty cool guns and have an arsenal of rifles to choose from based on the enemy you're going up against. I'm at 34 with my Hunter, and I carry a powerful sniper for each of the elemental properties, it's pretty cool to be able to switch back and forth based on whos coming at you.
 
lol these games get really fun on the second playthrough.

Did you play any other ARPGs before this one ?

2nd playthrough, sounds like purgatory! Bit like doing lines at school for being naughty!

Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances? Only kidding. I've played my fair share.
 
Has anyone done the arena pvp thing? is it the same as a dual anywhere else in the world?
I've dualed my brother a few times and it just goes so fast, there's no point. Plus you can deploy bloodwing before the start of the dual and fire off one sniper round as he hits and kill them within a second of round start...
 
I am very disappointed with the last boss on play-through 1. I hope play-through 2 makes him a lot harder.
 
Back
Top