soulesschild
Supreme [H]ardness
- Joined
- Feb 18, 2007
- Messages
- 6,176
Fuck you guys I'm taking the week off 
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
If it unlocks early id be so happy! I have tomorrow and Saturday completely off.
2k Elizabeth said:Hey guys,
Yesterday we learned that a fraction of the PC copies of Borderlands were accidentally sold to consumers in some countries but that gamers could not activate their copies yet. Since we learned of this problem, we have been looking into the issue to find the best possible solution for everyone.
I'm going to be completely honest with you guys right now. It is not possible for us to move the planned release date of the game forward. We could not possibly get the games into stores worldwide and out for digital distribution any earlier than planned. Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening. I am sure all of you want our PC launch to be as successful as possible, and we simply won't be able to manage that any earlier than already planned.
I want to apologize for those of you who have gotten the game ahead of our release date, and ask for your patience and understanding. The game will be ready in the US and Canada at midnight eastern standard time on Monday, October 26th, and internationally by Friday, October 30th.
-Elizabeth
I want to apologize for those of you who have gotten the game ahead of our release date, and ask for your patience and understanding. The game will be ready in the US and Canada at midnight eastern standard time on Monday, October 26th, and internationally by Friday, October 30th.
-Elizabeth
For those who don't want to wade through that shitstorm of a thread on the 2k forums:
I don't blame 2k/GBX for this fiasco, if stores had adhered to the street date this shit wouldn't have gone down like this.
Midnight, October 26th. So when I get up bright and early Monday, I'll be playing.your not gonna be able to play until monday afternoon early evening if your on the east coast
This would be a legit response if the ads don't say, AVAILABLE NOW.![]()
This would be a legit response if the ads don't say, AVAILABLE NOW.![]()
This sucks, now I can have my copy of Borderlands (PC), mock me for an intire week...![]()
Wow, harsh.
The game isn't even out yet. People shouldn't be such drama queens.
Midnight, October 26th. So when I get up bright and early Monday, I'll be playing.
But that's just the problem isn't it? The game IS out, unintentionally but still it's out. We ust can't play it...
The logic is clearly irrefutable.You know what? I think I'm going to download the first one on that list there and make copies for all my friends and modify their 360 so that they can all play it for free because TT/2K are being ****ing MORONS!
And developers wonder why the legit pc marketbase is not happy go lucky like it used to be.
Another case of legit customers getting fucked. I'll bet the pirates will have a crack and working copy up before the legit version is able to be played.
If you want to keep a pc market happy this is not the way to go about it.
Okay , let me start this off by saying i'm very confused by several things regarding the release of Borderlands on the PC.
The initial release date announcement for BL on the PC was the 20th of Oct. Then there was an announcement that the pc release date would be pushed back by 1 week to allow for optimization tweaks.
On the 21st of oct we see a post that shows the pc product available on the shelf for sale at a retail store.
That means that the optimization tweaks for the pc version were....Coded....QA tested....pushed to production....ISO image created...and product cd or dvd made for pc and shipped in less then 24 hours.
I work as a software tester for a software company..and i can tell you that the last project i was involved in took 15 months to develop and get to market. Our development and testing were completed 6 weeks before our release date..this is to allow time for production to create the images, produce the media and packaging and to ship the product to retail so it will be available on the release date. If you push the release date of a product by a week for further development of the product (optimization tweaks), then you are miracle workers if that product reaches ANY retail outlet at the same time as another product you have scheduled for that release date ( ie the same product in a console version?)
Personally i feel i was lied to about the release delay of this product for pc. I think it was a marketing strategy used to increase BOTH console and pc sales of the product because there is a very small percentage of consumers who will buy both the console and pc version of the product. It also encourages those who are impatient to choose the console over the pc simply because it is available one week sooner.
Since the product has already been made available for purchase, delaying the OFFICIAL release is not going to prevent piracy...it may actually have the opposite effect and drive some otherwise lawful purchasers to try to obtain a copy from those already on torrents.
As for shipping, i personally do not understand the intricacies involved but isn't product normally shipped well in advance of release to ensure maximum market penetration? This would indicate to me that the product is there at retail in advance of the release date.
As i stated at the beggining of this post these few things have me somewhat confused, maybe i'm just not able to grasp the bigger picture.
If memory serves me, this is not the first contoversial release that 2K has been involved in...
I have already prepurchased my game and it doesn't matter to me that there is no early release (is it actually an early release if it is in fact later then the origional release date?) i am still looking forward to enjoying Borderlands and have no plans to cancel my order or have a hissy fit over this but I WILL, as a consumer, watch very carefully any future game releases that 2K is involved in.
How is this hurting the legit customer and how is it the developers fault that some stores broke the street date? The blame for an early release falls on the stores that put it up early; and if they, (dev/publisher), need to have servers up and running for activation then they need to make sure they are ready, (ergo the actual release date.)
what makes me mad about it is the fact they released it early on consoles and the devs didn't care, infact they seemed to encourage it. But same thing happens on the PC and we get the "oh no! you must wait till release date to play!"
It is hurting the legit customer that walked into a store, plopped down the 50 bucks for a box and can't play what they have paid for.
No it's not their fault that stores broke the street date, however to force a legit customer to wait and using iithe argument that if they allow them to play now they will "allow pirates" to get the game is absurd to me.
The pirates are most likely already working on getting the game cracked and things at this moment and it'll probably be up and playable before the official release day.
Imagine for example, if they did the same thing to the console users (which some DID get early). Someone plops it into their xbox and it comes up with "sorry you can not play until x date."
When DRM starts getting like this it does NOTHING to stop pirates, it only serves as another bump against a legit customer who may likely turn to piracy to play their game.
I'm not really interested because of the rampant cheating that's associated with client side MP games. Diablo 1 is a good example of this. Duping, item hacks, stat hacks, insta kill, townkill. Should be a great time for the hackers.
Why would be stupid enough to let cheaters ruin the game for you? Play singleplayer then, or with friends...
Or, they could have properly made the game serverside. I have 2 friends that "might" play the game. If the primary draw of the game for me is multiplayer, and I am restricted to playing with a grand total of 2 people, I will pass on the game.
I've seen about a dozen videos now on this game. They all state Oct 20 as the PC release. I have no idea how a delay of one week makes any difference. Like in my mind it's some English humor thing like "oh give us one more week and we'll code some things to add 20% content to the game and it will automatically zap itself into the already shipped products."
So you're saying the current gold master of the disc is utterly useless after install and requires a patch to be functional software?Ever heard of a thing called a patch?