sharp 32" 4k monitor - who else is planning on getting it?

is it hdmi or all the interfaces (which, other than sub-d, are pretty much the same).
DVI to hdmi or DP to HDMI won't help your issue?

are you not getting the full 30hz?

is it hdmi or all the interfaces (which, other than sub-d, are pretty much the same).
DVI to hdmi or DP to HDMI won't help your issue?

are you not getting the full 30hz?

Nope, Not getting the full 30 Hz on linux.

DP/DVI and HDMI have quite a few difference actually. If your talking single link DVI spec then they they all are kinda smiilar too =)

DVI allows for dual TMDS transmitters for extra bandwidth (spec is 330Mhz but it can do much more).

HDMI is single TMDS up to 165Mhz with earlier spec and 340Mhz with HDMI 1.3/1.4 (also single TMDS). The HDMI drivers on linux are borked. Forever its said 165 Mhz max pixelclock over HDMI and as soon as you go > 165Mhz (165.01Mhz even) it wont output anything at all. Nvidia stated this should be fixed in their next driver release.

DP with current spec is up to 960Mhz bandwidth. There are passive adpaters which just do TMDS pass-through and unfortunately have the exact same problem in linux as its basically just pass-through and no different than using the HDMI port (and does not show up as a connected display on DFP-4 which is the actual display port.

Now they do have active DP -> HDMI (and dual link DVI) adapters that do not do TMDS pass-through. This is what I am using right now to push around 220Mhz. The adapter I am using can do up to 238Mhz but it gets pretty flakey when its put that high.

Unfortunately there does not exist a DP -> HDMI active adapter that can do full 300Mhz+ pixelclock (full hdmi 1.3/1.4 bandwidth spec).

There is a PS171 from parade technologies that can do it and accen/bizlink are making a dongle using this chip but it will not be out for at least another month.

Whats funny is ATI even lists this non existent adapter on this page:

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Even though they can't be bought yet. Bizlink part KS10047.

So I want to buy 2 of these. Is there a 60Hz version or not ?
I don't understand why they can't give a monitor that has all the feature we are asking for.
When it comes to CPU's and graphic cards we are flooded with different products and new technologies we didn't even ask for or know about but not monitors. Here nothing happens. There are still CRT monitors that kicks ass.

4k resolution
Min 120 Hz
Min contrast 5000
Min pixel pitch 0.22
Brightness +800
Response -1ms
Thunderbolt contacts

So I want to buy 2 of these. Is there a 60Hz version or not ?
I don't understand why they can't give a monitor that has all the feature we are asking for.
When it comes to CPU's and graphic cards we are flooded with different products and new technologies we didn't even ask for or know about but not monitors. Here nothing happens. There are still CRT monitors that kicks ass.

4k resolution
Min 120 Hz
Min contrast 5000
Min pixel pitch 0.22
Brightness +800
Response -1ms
Thunderbolt contacts

These can do 60Hz. It just treats it like two monitors. Basically this means is that if windows Vista/7/8 and want 60Hz and use nviidia you need a quadro card (mosiac). Most ATI cards will be able to run it at 60Hz no problem (desktop and workstation) via eyefinity.

All nvidia cards could run it on Windows XP/server 2003/XP 64-bit and earlier as well as likely the same for ATI as long as they support displayport.

Also on display port based nvidia cards on linux can also run this at 60Hz.

These can do 60Hz. It just treats it like two monitors. Basically this means is that if windows Vista/7/8 and want 60Hz and use nviidia you need a quadro card (mosiac).
And Geforce 600-series, 700-series, and Titan, beginning with Version 325 drivers, according to this nVidia Employee:

Josh@nVidia said:
We are working on adding support for these types of monitors [4K 60Hz] and hope to have it in a driver release soon.
Josh@nVidia said:
Currently tracking this for our R325 branch drivers, but don't quote me on that things can slip as you know =/

From 2 Monitor Gaming? thread on Geforce.com site.

Last edited:
Actually I am not using the 2 monitors together. One at work one at home =)
So my ATI 6970 will be able to show 60Hz ? If it works I will order them right now =)

Actually I am not using the 2 monitors together. One at work one at home =)
So my ATI 6970 will be able to show 60Hz ? If it works I will order them right now =)

yes, ati can do spanned screen right now - but you aren't playing any games on it with a 6970 - wel, not on high settings.
You kinda need multi cards to power this sucker. I need 3 titans to get far cry 3 running @ max (well.. lowing AA to 2x)... and that mean NVidia, but crossfire BLOWS!

if you can afford 2 of these, you can get 2+ 780s :) (for 4+ for both systems)

and if isn't for games.. you can do 2 screens @ 60hz with any version of windows (it just won't be one logical unit)

You kinda need multi cards to power this sucker. I need 3 titans to get far cry 3 running @ max (well.. lowing AA to 2x)

As a matter of interest, what settings gave decent performance with just one Titan? No AA, of course, but could you get medium quality or high?

hrmmm... one titan.. maybe not.. but for that price range i'd suggest trying 2 780s. Most games needs 2 titans, a few like far cry 3 and metro: last light - you need 3 titans.
Even with 3 titans I shut off AA in metro and only used 2 in far cry 3

All you need is one Titan.
SEIKI 4K @ 30fps, perhaps.

But this thread is about the Sharp 4K which can do 60fps. That's like having four 1080p monitors!
Being stuck at 30fps on 60Hz monitors is worse than being stuck at 60fps on 120Hz monitors.
There's massive input lag at 30fps@60Hz (low framerate of 30fps is a ~33ms input lag).
This is why a single Titan on a triple-surround 120Hz setup is okay, while a single card on a 4K @ 60Hz system is more of a downgrade.

You might be able to do 4K @ 60fps in older games like TF2 with AA disabled.
That said, if you want to even barely dream of approaching 4K @ 60fps in newer games (at reduced settings), you're almost certainly going to need to SLI.

I wonder if the Asus will be pretty much identical to the native Sharp panel. So to recap the limitations, NVIDIA cannot do single monitor 4K @ 60 Hz DP1.2 correct? And AMD can only do it if you treat it as MST mode and dual monitor Eyefinity?

I wonder if the Asus will be pretty much identical to the native Sharp panel. So to recap the limitations, NVIDIA cannot do single monitor 4K @ 60 Hz DP1.2 correct? And AMD can only do it if you treat it as MST mode and dual monitor Eyefinity?
nVidia plans to allow 4K60 in the exact same way ATI does (2-cable, 2-monitor spanning on 1 LCD) beginning with driver version 325.

Josh@nVidia said:
We are working on adding support for these types of monitors [4K 60Hz] and hope to have it in a driver release soon.
Josh@nVidia said:
Currently tracking this for our R325 branch drivers, but don't quote me on that things can slip as you know =/

That is great news, thanks for posting. Hopefully they will listen to my reply and add 2/4 individual screen surround too while they are at it.

Have a question about the Sharp panel. I know it supports 10-bit color, what type of color gamut support does it have?

That is great news, thanks for posting. Hopefully they will listen to my reply and add 2/4 individual screen surround too while they are at it.
Make sure you post in the Geforce forum thread, thanking them. So you make sure nVidia stays on the ball!

ake sure you post in the Geforce forum thread, thanking them. So you make sure nVidia stays on the ball!

Already done. When I said reply, I meant my reply on the GeForce forum:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...round/2-monitor-gaming-/post/3821543/#3821543

Since this is literally a software/driver thing as the hardware already supports it, I tried to layout the business case as clearly as possible. Hopefully the tech guys can convince the business guys to allow for NV surround at least up to 4 displays on consumer cards. It's puzzling that AMD and even Intel with their integrated graphics offers support for a single 3d surface over 4 monitors while only Nvidia doesn't.

I'd suggest you go back and edit that to include projectors.
And even 2 LCD monitors with a bezel in the middle.
Flight simulators, for example.

There's a bezel in the middle of a Boeing 747, for example -- Most jets including Boeing and Airbus don't use a center cockpit window.
So 2-monitor and 4-monitor should be supported for authentic flight simulator play at home.

So if support for dual display mosaic/surround mode is coming in R325, I'm guessing that means roughly in August? The last 3 beta drivers have been released Nov 20 2012, Feb 18 2013, and May 17 2013 respectively.

I was planning to wait for driver support to pick up one of these monitors(I have one GTX 780 and planning to get a second), but now I might get the Asus version if it's cheaper...

It's almost certainly the same panel, but I wonder if they've wired it differently. Hopefully it can be directly driven at 4k @ 60Hz.

It's almost certainly the same panel, but I wonder if they've wired it differently. Hopefully it can be directly driven at 4k @ 60Hz.

Obviously that would be great but I really really doubt it given that it's going to have two HDMI ports. That pretty strongly implies it has the same architecture and likely even uses the exact same controllers and firmware that Sharp is using.

Zurv do you still have the display? I was wondering if you tried using custom modelines/resolutions to see if you could push > 30 Hz when its not in MST mode.

I wouldn't trust the one guy who said they *might* get it in. Sounds like they didn't. I can't say I am surprised.

They've said it's a slated feature but that it may not make it for R325, which apparrently it didn't... I'd expect it with the branch after then, but definitely keep pressing it on the nvidia forums to make sure some focus stays on it.

Sooo... NVidia released drivers today that should work for 4k monitors @ 60hz (it clearly works for the Asus - which is the same as the Sharp)

NVidia tells me it should work on the sharp - but it does not (for me).
Could someone else with the Sharp plz try the 326.19 beta drivers?

It still shows up as 2 monitors for me.. ugh..
still2.jpg

i'm not sure what is worse.. waiting for it to be supported.. or being told it is supported, but it doesn't work (the second is worse because that means no one is working on it anymore)

Not surprised at all. Their implementation was very monitor specific and MST specific. Very poor decision IMHO. They should just enable 2 way surround, simple as that. I was thinking some of my family could possibly go back to nvidia because of this (they are windows users) but that isn't the case as my dad/sister's 4k displays run off multiple DVI links (not DP) so I know the drivers won't support that.

Also I don't like the idea of everything being automatic without the user setting it up as that means that when bugs happen there isn't an easy way for users to fix it themselves. A very bad direction IMHO from nvidia.

I wouldn't be surprised if right now it has something that actually looks for the ASUS monitor model string in the EDID to do it so it only works on ASUS.

Sooo... NVidia released drivers today that should work for 4k monitors @ 60hz (it clearly works for the Asus - which is the same as the Sharp)

NVidia tells me it should work on the sharp - but it does not (for me).
Could someone else with the Sharp plz try the 326.19 beta drivers?

It still shows up as 2 monitors for me.. ugh..
still2.jpg

i'm not sure what is worse.. waiting for it to be supported.. or being told it is supported, but it doesn't work (the second is worse because that means no one is working on it anymore)

I would report this on the Nvidia forums. I hope they didn't just hardcore an Asus EDID into the drivers.

Same with my Sharp. The new drivers didn't do the trick.

By the way, BIOS messages don't show up when the monitor is in MST mode. Pretty annoying because fixing this would require new video card firmware...

I don't really have any issues with 30Hz in SST mode, though... Does 60Hz really make a difference in games? I've been playing Bioshock Infinite at 30Hz, and it seems ok to me...

By the way, BIOS messages don't show up when the monitor is in MST mode. Pretty annoying because fixing this would require new video card firmware...

I don't really have any issues with 30Hz in SST mode, though... Does 60Hz really make a difference in games? I've been playing Bioshock Infinite at 30Hz, and it seems ok to me...
You're probably not sensitive to it or have already adjusted to it.
I played it trough at 40Hz also on 4k uhd

Yeah the bios thing sucks. Even on the Asus monitor it does that.

Do you mind posting on the NVidia forum to say it doesn't work on your sharp too?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/539645/nvidia-surround/2-monitor-gaming-/7 <--

so they know it isn't just one person.

also PLZ IM the mod there Josh@Nvidia - he will respond. More ppl that have the problem the more likely it might be fixed.

for fuck sake.. it is 100% the same as the asus monitor.. *sigh*

yes.. pretty big. notice when you quickly move the mouse around or something fast happens on the screen... you see ripping... that is because the screen can only show fps.

That isn't the same as playing a game at 30 fps.. because not only is there are drawing issue (like you see now with 30hz), but there is input lag because you can only effect 30fps... that is why vsync is pooo... :)

you can clearly see the ripping in my fail cellphone cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRUVN14hj20

I personally can't play any fast multiplayer games because I can't see shit :)

as my dad/sister's 4k displays run off multiple DVI links

houkouonchi, do you know what the manufacturer and model number of the display you are talking about?

Always looking for more examples to make it clear to NVIDIA we need 2x1 and 2x2 Surround support on Windows.

houkouonchi, do you know what the manufacturer and model number of the display you are talking about?

Always looking for more examples to make it clear to NVIDIA we need 2x1 and 2x2 Surround support on Windows.

See IBM T221 a 22.2" 3840x2400 16:10 4K Display.

IBM T221 9503-DGP (dad)
Viewsonic VP2290b-2 (sister)

Ahh the T221. One of the greatest displays ever made. And a testament to how crappy display innovation has been for the last decade. Glad to see that it is still getting everyday use.

Back