S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Lost Alpha news

mother of hell.. just finished the dark valley.. bandits, all hostile after the safe but fair is fair, all cool.. then monoliths, stuffed inside exoskeletons and packing G36s.. oh man.. me and my bandit leather jacket and an ak, oh boy.. playing on master.. ok, done, then, x18.. seriously bro.. i dont think i'll replay this game so soon when is done, jesus. and everybody ANGRY, had a hard time with those bug fixes and improved to-fuck-me-up AI.. but, holy sandmonkey on a stick, fun as hell, D4rkn3ss = happy :D

just started, seems pretty interesting so far. the maps are certainly different. there are also anomolys everywhere. graphic too. sigh. such a great franchise, poor game engine. I hope the next iteration fixes all that.

nnnnngh!!! dozed off, woken up, back at it!! shit is killing me bro! but oh is soo good!!

hey yo! xIronCrossx! "rinse and repeat" was in the form of save and reloading here, those damn monoliths!

wtf so even though it said my game was saving it wasn't played like 3 hours since the last save that saved wtf

eh, save often, cross fingers. I don't have much confidence in patches, after all it has been 6 years in development. A couple of weeks is not going to add much.

my thoughts: (just cordon and garbage)

the maps are vastly different. more plants, varied terrain, trees. There now are underground tunnels connecting areas. The world also appears to be much more sparse. Does not appear that you can find much artifacts or weapons. Stashes also seem to be gimped. Maybe I am getting them in other areas but so far I have only seen one. Zombies take a boatload of bullets to kill and they are in more places. AI is still goofy. Often find people staring at a wall and you can shoot them. Loot (artifacts & weapons) comes from dead bodies. There are no (few?) storage chests like in other games.

The missions so far have been similar to the original game. You gotta appreciate that there are so many people dedicated to the game, but as a product, I think it would have a ways to go. Not sure how they can legally use the original assets in their release.

Aside from all that, it is stalker, and I enjoy it for that reason.

just started, seems pretty interesting so far. the maps are certainly different. there are also anomolys everywhere. graphic too. sigh. such a great franchise, poor game engine. I hope the next iteration fixes all that.

The next iteration?

Have you heard something announced that the rest of us haven't? Or are you just talking about Surviarium

How the hell are u supposed to steal documents at the army base ? its impossible my gear sucks and there is no stealth in this game.. i dont get it im tempted cheating myself cause i hate this nonsense,, dont remember playing the original being that hard so early really.. not fun :(

How the hell are u supposed to steal documents at the army base ? its impossible my gear sucks and there is no stealth in this game.. i dont get it im tempted cheating myself cause i hate this nonsense,, dont remember playing the original being that hard so early really.. not fun :(

lol this game aint for you man, if you find that hard you should just quit because its gonna get waaay worse ;)

If you attempting to blitz through S.T.A.L.K.E.R/Lost Alpha without upgrading your gear you will have a shitty time. you aren't supposed to just do the main story. do some side missions, save some money, and buy some good body armor. Once you have that you will find every thing is way easier.

Fully upgraded gear, at every point in any of the STALKER games, is the only way to go. STALKER was never meant to be another Duke Nukem or Serious Sam game.

One thing that I find a bit annoying is that the starting side quests seem to be "Find X item" and then return it to some guy. But they give you no indication at all where you might find such an item (unless I am overlooking something). Coupled with the fact that the missions have a time limit, it is a bit frustrating.

As far as gear upgrades, maybe I am not far enough yet but I have only found a Bandit jacket and a Leather jacket with a green arrow on it, though I can't actually tell from the stats what is improved about it over the normal Leather jacket.

I guess one complaint I would have overall is that the UI is not great in this game, or at least not well-explained.

The map always has the destination... do you not check it at all?

For the "Find X Item" quests it often does not. For instance, in the beginning they want you to find a Jellyfish artifact and also the tail of a pseudodog or something. As far as I can tell there are no map markers for these items other than for the "Return to X" which just marks the guy who gave you the quest.

I understand maybe not saying exactly where an item is if you're supposed to find it, but having literally no idea how to get it makes the whole exercise frustrating. If it had like "here is a general area where you might find this", even with multiple areas marked, that would be an improvement.

Again, maybe there is something I'm overlooking but for these quests there doesn't seem to be a marker for the item itself on the map.

The find X artifact missions don't have map markers. They are supposed to be missions that you pick up and possibly find along the way. otherwise you could just farm them for money, and it would break the economy.

The find X artifact missions don't have map markers. They are supposed to be missions that you pick up and possibly find along the way. otherwise you could just farm them for money, and it would break the economy.

That explains it. My bad on that. I know that every normal mission shows where you need to go. :eek:

For the "Find X Item" quests it often does not. For instance, in the beginning they want you to find a Jellyfish artifact and also the tail of a pseudodog or something. As far as I can tell there are no map markers for these items other than for the "Return to X" which just marks the guy who gave you the quest.

I understand maybe not saying exactly where an item is if you're supposed to find it, but having literally no idea how to get it makes the whole exercise frustrating. If it had like "here is a general area where you might find this", even with multiple areas marked, that would be an improvement.

Again, maybe there is something I'm overlooking but for these quests there doesn't seem to be a marker for the item itself on the map.

you will find it MaveriK, dont worry, youre at the beginning of the game. it might be a little confusing but soon you will understand, and you will be filthy rich and have great gear, just go along with the game and dont worry, because you will be playing it again many times :)

*tip: theres a merc suit inside a crate on a hole on the ceiling of the last house on the left in the village from the the game start, you have to jump from the previous house ceiling, save it before attempting.

for the misc item missions you should probably only take them if you already have the items. then it is just profit. and if you are invading the military base you should have picked up streloks stalker suit and probably an obokan.

*tip: theres a merc suit inside a crate on a hole on the ceiling of the last house on the left in the village from the the game start, you have to jump from the previous house ceiling, save it before attempting.

Thanks for the tip. :)

IMO the MP5 is insanely good at the beginning of the game. You get it when clear out the factory of bandits. Just be real conservative with ammo as Sidrovich doesn't stock ammo for it and enemies won't drop it until you get to dark valley. You can definitely clear out the military base with the mp5.

Tip, look to the faaar left of the map for a hole in the fence and some conveniently placed construction materials next to a building. Make it a lot easier on you.

you will find it MaveriK, dont worry, youre at the beginning of the game. it might be a little confusing but soon you will understand, and you will be filthy rich and have great gear, just go along with the game and dont worry, because you will be playing it again many times :)

Alright, I will take your (crazy) word for it. :D

Thanks for the tip about the suit, I will check that out.

for the misc item missions you should probably only take them if you already have the items. then it is just profit. and if you are invading the military base you should have picked up streloks stalker suit and probably an obokan.

Yeah, had I known beforehand that they were structured how they are (timed, no map markers, etc.) I probably would have waited.

Either way, I guess if I miss them it's no huge deal, right?

The videos for SoC showing where the suit is at, don't match up with LA. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out where the merc suit is at.

seva suit & suppressed lr300, im in lost alpha heaven :p

ss_D4rkn3ss_05_09_14_19_17_30_la05_bar_rostok.jpg

D4rkn3ss, I'm liking how that gun looks. Even more of a reason for me to keep pushing forward.

so it took me 15 minutes to find how to get in the bar and another 15 minutes to find how to get out...

Got the Merc suit...man what a massive upgrade from the Bandit suit.

I find that much of the time, when AI fights AI, most of them will die...so like, I'll be fighting alongside some friendlies, kill all the bandits, and notice that most of the friendlies are dead. So I loot everyone and go on my merry way. :)

It seems like friendlies eventually respawn or something, as after everyone got wiped out at the starting village, I went back later and there were like 4 or 5 guys there now.

Also, it seems like your encumbrance is really low...is there any way to increase it later? Or do you just have to be super selective with weapons and ammo?

Last edited:
So I killed the drunken bandit, before I got the bandit suit .... is there any way to get the password now? or how do I progress?

seva suit & suppressed lr300, im in lost alpha heaven :p

ss_D4rkn3ss_05_09_14_19_17_30_la05_bar_rostok.jpg

I favored the SEVA suit in the original game,it offered the best balance between armor and radiation protection.
How's the weapon degradation in this one? In SoC I got tired of how fast your guns broke down,modded it so they lasted longer.

Would be funny if Vsync doesn't work in it either, I bought both previous STALKERS and couldn't stand the screen tearing and there was no way to get vsync to work no matter what I tried.

decided to do an update of the fixes that im using, here we go:

install patch 1.30013 and backup your gamedata folder (in case of a new official patch comes along)

drop the "S3r1ous Bug Fixes v2.00 by ThaOneDon" into your installation folder overriding stuff and delete your user.ltx (the game creates a fresh one upon start), unpack and drop the "S3r1ous Textures Effects and Audio v3 by ThaOneDon" into your install folder and drop the "Scopes Fix", overriding stuff. install the newer XVID, and youre good to go.

direct links:
S3r1ous Bug Fixes v2.00 by ThaOneDon: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dbn40o42vur8x56/S3r1ous+Bug+Fixes+v2.00+by+ThaOneDon.rar
S3r1ous Textures Effects and Audio v3 by ThaOneDon: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s...extures+Effects+and+Audio+v3+by+ThaOneDon.rar
Scopes Fix: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5mzk5cwidfmhd5/Scopes+Fix.rar
XVID: http://downloads.xvid.org/downloads/Xvid-1.3.3-20140407.exe

this is what im using since wednesday, 100% working, no crashes.. (well.. maybe a little crash sometimes :p), no bugs. as far as quests and gameplay, the game is fixed. old savegames works.

brightness controls are still bugged on DX10 but is easily fixed, just change manually this setting on your user.ltx:

r2_sun_lumscale_amb 0.6 (default is 0.25)

again, feel free to try other values (0.1 to 1.5) if you feel like, other stuff from previous post im using default this time, is pretty good.

source: the "S.L.A.M. Pack" thread on GSC http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&sec_id=19 , since the guy doesnt update the first post, its all stuffed among the pages of that thread, im just saving you the bother. theres a new version of the fixes (everyday has a new version, and sometimes theyre bugged) but this is what im using, and it works.

have fun! :D

maverick, all that info is on the complete manual (pdf) that you didnt read you lazy bastard!!!

How's the weapon degradation in this one? In SoC I got tired of how fast your guns broke down,modded it so they lasted longer.

i get 600 rounds of the lr300 before it starts to jam, i actually carry two, one as a backup. im using the three bottom upgrades of the upgrade menu on them (fire rate, reliability and polymer parts)

Mav, I'll have to try that some time... :cool:

D4rkn3ss, thanks for the updated links. I'll give those a try, since the last round of them didn't work well for me.

Back