S.T.A.L.K.E.R : Lost Alpha news

D4rkn3ss, thanks for the updated links. I'll give those a try, since the last round of them didn't work well for me.

i wouldnt post if i didnt try them myself, the game is really fixed, im using those since wednesday. had a single crash (when a bunch of rats attacked me in a sewer) and more important, all of the game works, meaning quests and gameplay, and it looks great!

i didnt install any of that redist stuff, directx was the same 2010 package, vcredist i already had the same, creative driver wtf?, and video codecs i use shark codecs.. when i got to the swamp for the scientist, i had a game breaking crash, i couldnt go forward no matter what because of a custom video of them, so i installed the xvid crap and it fixed, thats why i posted. ;)

ugh, so if you are good with the bandits you can sell to collect their 5k, knife to the face, repeat with their buddies right next to them. somewhat immersion breaking

ugh, so if you are good with the bandits you can sell to collect their 5k, knife to the face, repeat with their buddies right next to them. somewhat immersion breaking

huh? i guess thats the default AI, i never saw that, i went with the quest and when i opened the safe they all got hostile, same with the monoliths

i wouldnt post if i didnt try them myself, the game is really fixed, im using those since wednesday. had a single crash (when a bunch of rats attacked me in a sewer) and more important, all of the game works, meaning quests and gameplay, and it looks great!

i didnt install any of that redist stuff, directx was the same 2010 package, vcredist i already had the same, creative driver wtf?, and video codecs i use shark codecs.. when i got to the swamp for the scientist, i had a game breaking crash, i couldnt go forward no matter what because of a custom video of them, so i installed the xvid crap and it fixed, thats why i posted. ;)

I've had good experiences so far w/ the newest SLAM mods. Last crash came from clicking on the "nearby people" UI option on the PDA. Not sure why that happened.

Anyone else have problems connecting to gsc.game.com? All I ever get is the "unable to connect" message. Seems to be the best source for third party fixes.

You're absolutely certain you're going to gsc-game.com instead of gsc.game.com? The link I gave you is live and working for me.

Damn military goons at X18... I need to figure out a way to flush them out of the buildings there. After SIN gave me crappy gear, it hasn't been fun since I already cleared out the bandit base before I had to go through Darkscape.

hey anyone made the leap of faith? im 30 fucking minutes on this shit, that damn map worth shit, cant see a damn thing!

Damn military goons at X18... I need to figure out a way to flush them out of the buildings there. After SIN gave me crappy gear, it hasn't been fun since I already cleared out the bandit base before I had to go through Darkscape.

you mean monilith? but they do have good weapon drops

you mean monilith? but they do have good weapon drops

Nope, military. I already fought Monolith before the military attacked & I had to escape in a car to Darkscape. I'm to the part where I have to access the X18 labs now.

Ah, if you had left them alive.... but methinks they did not think this part out well. You tend to get one-shotted wearing the provided bandit jacket. It makes for a lot of wasted replay.

Yeah, I attempted to talk with the drunk bandit, but he didn't want to give me info. It went south from there... Fast forward to now, which I have to deal with the X18 area topside. Military everywhere with all Monolith dead & I'm lacking my kickass equiment that SIN took away temporarily. I'll definitely build up my gear from the military but it won't be fun since I'm playing on a harder difficulty (wasn't thinking... since the AI is a bit too accurate).

Edit: correction on my ignorance... now I know I'm fighting Monolith again. They're tougher than I thought since they wiped out the military. I'm doing better now by taking a route around the perimeter.

Last edited:
huh? i guess thats the default AI, i never saw that, i went with the quest and when i opened the safe they all got hostile, same with the monoliths

Well yeah, you have to kill the leader for the code and somehow everyone knows that you killed him, even if you knife him in the face in his office with no one around. It's kind of odd.

How many of you got the car out intact? I managed but it burns gas really fast. Find it helps to get to speed then switch the car off and let it coast. If you click on the trunk you have unlimited storage and can do instant repairs. The door fell off, lol, but that's the way it goes.

The big game world really kind of screws them. it is empty with nothing much to find. I wish there were more cache messages directing you to places of interest. That would be how they could make it work. Many of the caches though, broken.

Perfect for this.

9050519.jpg

The big game world really kind of screws them. it is empty with nothing much to find. I wish there were more cache messages directing you to places of interest. That would be how they could make it work. Many of the caches though, broken.

Every cache I've found worked fine, though I am running the SLAM pack bug fixes.

Does anyone know how to get down to the X18 lab? I can't find any stairs...

Every cache I've found worked fine, though I am running the SLAM pack bug fixes.

Does anyone know how to get down to the X18 lab? I can't find any stairs...

go right of the main entrance around to the back of the building, the stairs lead down from there

Thanks for the hints. :)

I'm glad I have some great rifles & the monolith suit after clearing out the place. Now I feel confident in delving into the depths of X18.

hey how much carry weight you guys using? im using 60-70 since the beginning and lately im pretty much fucked everytime that i find a few stashes. just look:

suit, single gun, some ammo, a few (very useful) f1 grenades and the essentials.. everyday is like this but it feels so cheaty to put more, like you cant really run around all day carrying 70 or 80kg of stuff.. yeah i know its just a game but it feels wrong man :p

ss_D4rkn3ss_05_13_14_20_58_03_la07_military.jpg

That ammo is so damn heavy, might be better to use a 5.56mm gun. Not sure how the G36 is in LA, but it was pretty epic in the regular game.

i inflict way more damage with that gun with 600 rounds than with a modified G36 with 1200 rounds, with a little more than half the weight ;)

you are much farther than me, I just found the scientist, picked up an orange suit. still waiting to find a vintar. got a g36, upgraded it, but a sniper obokan has much better range and is safer to use.

BTW, not going to upgrade any of the custom weapons. You can't really tell what will actually happen based on the descriptions, some of the changes may turn out to be downgrades.

This game has been a chore to play. I am enjoying it but every save/load cycle takes longer and longer and then some just freeze. It always stays in the forefront so I can't kill it with task manager. Traveling from area to area, each transition takes a couple of minutes. The world is just too big to walk through.

I am amazed though at all the content. It is vastly bigger than stalker with many more types of buildings and machinery and locations. They cut a hell of a lot of content from stalker.

i used that orange suit too :p. dont mind those custom weapons, you will end up selling them all later. what i do is save the game, customize and test the gun until i find the right setting. that vintorez i customized for reliability (rollback, stop drive, polymer parts), otherwise is unsuitable for the zone. theres a setting that removes recoil and increase accuracy but the gun lasts about 100 rounds that way

man, mine never crash, never freeze, weird. i go on and on, get new quests, go to new places, and it feels like a finished game, i have no complaints about that, and its fast, i have it installed on a ssd.

I've cleared out X18... but can't find any passwords. What am I missing?

theres a level that you access only through the elevator shaft, theres a dead guy on the floor with his pda at his side, the password and the computer is there, you need to use your pendrive to download the files to your pda :)

@jiminator: i reread your post, there must be something very wrong there, mine loads in about 5~10 seconds for level transition, alt-tab works, and is super stable

I set my weight to like 150/170...fuck that default shit, way too little. You get so much money anyway after awhile it doesn't seem worth it to pick up guns unless they're better durability or something.

@jiminator: i reread your post, there must be something very wrong there, mine loads in about 5~10 seconds for level transition, alt-tab works, and is super stable
I guess I'll try moving it to my SSD and see if that helps

I set my weight to like 150/170...fuck that default shit, way too little. You get so much money anyway after awhile it doesn't seem worth it to pick up guns unless they're better durability or something.

lol i knew it! i thought "maverick, maverick is probably walking around carrying 5 ton of stuff.." :D

I guess I'll try moving it to my SSD and see if that helps

other things is that i dont use virtual memory, is set to 0, run the game as admin, and take a look at the game shortcut, it must have the arguments -external -noprefetch like ["C:\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha\bins\XR_3DA.exe" -external -noprefetch]

I keep trying to head back to the SIN base & it freezes up whenever I get past a certain point in the mines. :mad:

I may have to backtrack to the south entrance instead...

...or try out the newest SLAM pack versions.

Last edited:
I keep trying to head back to the SIN base & it freezes up whenever I get past a certain point in the mines. :mad:

I may have to backtrack to the south entrance instead...

...or try out the newest SLAM pack versions.

im using those versions that i posted before, didnt update, its so stable that im even afraid of messing it up with other versions

Seems the new versions didn't fix the freeze up. I think I'll do back tracking to the south entrance & hope that I can get through this headache of a quest chain.

this game has finally defeated me. SSD, admin, new install. It tends to freeze, and when it does that it still keeps the top window which means it can't be killed in task manager. I guess I'll wait for the next version, which will not be saved game compatible, which is probably just as well since mine is borked with a "save the stalker" mission that can't be completed or removed, resulting in my traveling to the wrong place everytime a mission completes.

I'm right there with you. At this point (if all else fails), I may go for a marathon STALKER series run or continue playing Skyrim.

Back