Ryzen Owners Thread

I'm ready to return this Ryzen stuff and just buy a 7700k, I'm so goddamn sick of the fans being at full speed while web browsing. What the hell is wrong with this stuff.

I'm not familiar with Noctua really so I went to the site. http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s
http://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/infosheet/noctua_nh_u12s_datasheet_en.pdf
That one shows a max fan speed of 1500 rpm, and they talk about some Low-Noise Adaptor that can drop that to 1200 rpm.
I don't see how that would be very loud, even at full speed, especially with that adaptor.

You mentioned 2 Fractal Venturi fans. I checked the specs for those and found this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352022
Those are 1800 rpm fans, so yes, I can understand those will be pretty loud at full speed.

I would go back to the stock Noctua fans. They should cool well even if they run full blast, and if you use the adaptor that would drop the noise even more.
As others said you are really 20 C lower that what you think, so 75 in games is really 55 which is nothing. No problem there at all. Slower fans won't hurt much because it's such a good cooler to start with.
A fan change will take care of the issue.

I'm not familiar with Noctua really so I went to the site. http://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s
http://noctua.at/media/blfa_files/infosheet/noctua_nh_u12s_datasheet_en.pdf
That one shows a max fan speed of 1500 rpm, and they talk about some Low-Noise Adaptor that can drop that to 1200 rpm.
I don't see how that would be very loud, even at full speed, especially with that adaptor.

You mentioned 2 Fractal Venturi fans. I checked the specs for those and found this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352022
Those are 1800 rpm fans, so yes, I can understand those will be pretty loud at full speed.

I would go back to the stock Noctua fans. They should cool well even if they run full blast, and if you use the adaptor that would drop the noise even more.
As others said you are really 20 C lower that what you think, so 75 in games is really 55 which is nothing. No problem there at all. Slower fans won't hurt much because it's such a good cooler to start with.
A fan change will take care of the issue.

I'm not sure how you think changing fans will do anything at all, I'm sitting at 62.5C reading this site. I have the fans set at the lowest possible curve where they don't even hit 800rpm until 70C and they're still ramping up and down constantly. These fans are super quiet, I just took them off of an overclocked FX8350 which puts out 3x as much heat as this Ryzen chip, and they were dead silent even after hours of gaming. Something is wrong with this board or chip, not the fans. There is no reason why they should be ramping up from 80% to 100% in a constant surge pattern at 1200mhz idle. None. Zero. You can't make an excuse for this.

I have arrived

20170317_195308.jpg

I'm not sure how you think changing fans will do anything at all, I'm sitting at 62.5C reading this site. I have the fans set at the lowest possible curve where they don't even hit 800rpm until 70C and they're still ramping up and down constantly. These fans are super quiet, I just took them off of an overclocked FX8350 which puts out 3x as much heat as this Ryzen chip, and they were dead silent even after hours of gaming. Something is wrong with this board or chip, not the fans. There is no reason why they should be ramping up from 80% to 100% in a constant surge pattern at 1200mhz idle. None. Zero. You can't make an excuse for this.

62.5 before or after subtracting the 20 C offset? If that's before, then it's really 42.5 which is no issue at all. I have the same Asus Prime B350-Plus with a 1700 non-x, so no 20 C offset, the stock cooler, Balanced power mode, and I'm between 28 and 34 C while reading this site. Very quiet, no problems at all. It's at stock speed, no overclock. It won't go much over 60 in Prime.

edit:

I see some of your points now. If you are setting the curve like that where 70 C is 800 rpm but you are getting surges in fan speeds, and they are over the 800 even if the temps aren't 70 yet, then something is wrong. I'd guess that the Asus fan controller isn't working like it should. Unfortunately it probably means the fan controller just isn't compatible with those fans, so my previous suggestion of trying other fans is still about all I could recommend. No, you shouldn't have to do that, but those fans just aren't working out with that board. If you have the stock Noctua fan I'd give it a shot, even if it's just one fan, not two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobu
like this
As above, think you should reset the fan curves and/or install the original fans and see if it is better. Or set a flat "curve" (constant speed) and see if it is still sufficient in cooling your cpu. Uninstalling, returning cpu, motherboard, buying another cpu, motherboard, putting it all back together, then troubleshooting any issues you have with *that* system seems like a lot more hassle than just doing a simple configuration change.

So motherboard finally arrived today. 1700 on an ASRock B350 Pro4. Bios updated to 1.43, since the shipped bios was there just to let the thing post (no OC settings, no voltage adjustment available...really barebones). Having much better luck with my spire, I guess. Still another 2 weeks until my am4 bracket arrives for my AIO, so I was tinkering with what the spire can manage. Forcing the fan speed to 100%, it's about as loud as the two fans on my waterblock were together after gaming a few hours. Closed case, 1700:

Stock voltage was good to 3.7 GHz, cpu temp unchanged at 55C after the first 8 minutes to around the two hour mark when I stopped it.

3.8 GHz required that I bump the voltage to 1.25V. Solid for two hours with temp steady at 62C. Haven't tried to push past this yet.

I'm ready to return this Ryzen stuff and just buy a 7700k, I'm so goddamn sick of the fans being at full speed while web browsing. What the hell is wrong with this stuff.

I have had zero issues with fan noise. My fans never run at full speed except when they need too, which is at full load. I also have no water cooling, fans only. In fact, when I connected up my Hyper 212 Evo today, it cooled down at idle by a good 5C more than the out of the box cooler, well still making little noise.

Oh, and I share this because I have the exact same board and chip as you at home, just a different cooler.

Edit: I am using the stock fans that came with my Noctua NH-D15.

Last edited:
I have had zero issues with fan noise. My fans never run at full speed except when they need too, which is at full load. I also have no water cooling, fans only. In fact, when I connected up my Hyper 212 Evo today, it cooled down at idle by a good 5C more than the out of the box cooler, well still making little noise.

Oh, and I share this because I have the exact same board and chip as you at home, just a different cooler.

Edit: I am using the stock fans that came with my Noctua NH-D15.

I'm almost positive there is something wrong with the board, the fans are ramping in a cycle that doesn't match the CPU load. Its every 3 seconds it goes from 80% to 100%. I've reset the BIOS 3 times, flashed to the newest 0503, run the Q-fan detector a dozen times, even installed the stupid AI suite and nothing helps, they just keep cycling. I unplgged them one at a time to make sure none of the fans went bad and it stays the same. I can deal with just about any computer problem but obnoxious noise drives me up the wall. I purposely buy quiet parts.

So are you pleased with the systems or do you wish you would have went x370? Do you feel any difference between the two?

Hey ManofGod. I didn't catch an answer to this. I'm trying to decide if going with a less expensive setup makes sense. I'd put the cost savings into a monitor upgrade. Your thoughts?

I'm almost positive there is something wrong with the board, the fans are ramping in a cycle that doesn't match the CPU load. Its every 3 seconds it goes from 80% to 100%. I've reset the BIOS 3 times, flashed to the newest 0503, run the Q-fan detector a dozen times, even installed the stupid AI suite and nothing helps, they just keep cycling. I unplgged them one at a time to make sure none of the fans went bad and it stays the same. I can deal with just about any computer problem but obnoxious noise drives me up the wall. I purposely buy quiet parts.

Sounds like you might have a bad seat with your Noctua?

Reseated 4 times now, checked the paste and its getting excellent contact.

Your probably right then, faulty sensor or the board is fubared, since no one else seems to have this issue, looks like an RMA is in order.
Sure doesn't sound like a normal ramp up due to thermal demands. But then again I don't own that pacticular mobo or Ryzen either.

Your probably right then, faulty sensor or the board is fubared, since no one else seems to have this issue, looks like an RMA is in order.
Sure doesn't sound like a normal ramp up due to thermal demands. But then again I don't own that pacticular mobo or Ryzen either.

Yeah its really weird because the machine runs fine and doesn't throttle otherwise. Its just so damn annoying sitting in a quiet room and listening to those fans keep revving up every few seconds.

Yeah its really weird because the machine runs fine and doesn't throttle otherwise. Its just so damn annoying sitting in a quiet room and listening to those fans keep revving up every few seconds.

It does sound like a themal sensor, but iirc, the sensors are on the cpu itself, correct?

I'm curious, for those of you who are getting a Ryzen chip primarily for multithreaded work apps and rendering, why a Ryzen chip? Why not an Intel ES with 12-22 cores and overclock?

I'm curious, for those of you who are getting a Ryzen chip primarily for multithreaded work apps and rendering, why a Ryzen chip? Why not an Intel ES with 12-22 cores and overclock?
New less power, depending on platform of Intel ES, updated platform with the new bells and whistles. And for quite a few just NEW as in not used.

LigTasm is the bottom of your cooler completely flat? Kyle had an issue with his old water block and had to sand it flat. Check it with a razor blade like in the video. :) I use Ryzen Master to monitor my temps. You don't have to enable HPET to monitor Ryzen temps as I heard that HPET drops performance currently.

So what is the safe operating temperature of this processor? Waiting for the water block that I want to come into stock, so using the stock cooler on this R7 1700. Arbitrarily chose 3.7GHz since it had a 7 in it; R7, 1700, and ran a few games. Seven seems like such a nice number. Seems to be hitting in the low 50's while gaming with stock voltage which seems to be 1.18750v. I got tired of the bios in my AsRock x370 Killer SLi / ac and enabled HPET in Windows for Ryzen Master. Got my memory running perfectly fine at 2666 just using the XMP settings.

Seems stable so far, but I haven't tried to stress test it yet.

LigTasm is the bottom of your cooler completely flat? Kyle had an issue with his old water block and had to sand it flat. Check it with a razor blade like in the video. :) I use Ryzen Master to monitor my temps. You don't have to enable HPET to monitor Ryzen temps as I heard that HPET drops performance currently.

So what is the safe operating temperature of this processor? Waiting for the water block that I want to come into stock, so using the stock cooler on this R7 1700. Arbitrarily chose 3.7GHz since it had a 7 in it; R7, 1700, and ran a few games. Seven seems like such a nice number. Seems to be hitting in the low 50's while gaming with stock voltage which seems to be 1.18750v. I got tired of the bios in my AsRock x370 Killer SLi / ac and enabled HPET in Windows for Ryzen Master. Got my memory running perfectly fine at 2666 just using the XMP settings.

Good call but I did check that, I actually watched Kyles video before my chip came in and checked when I first mounted it.

I just put on the Ryzen master and it is showing core 8 maxed out all the time for frequency. Even when the others are at 2000mhz its running at 3500. Weird.

(y)

Once your block comes in, the real fun begins friendo.

Good call but I did check that, I actually watched Kyles video before my chip came in and checked when I first mounted it.

I just put on the Ryzen master and it is showing core 8 maxed out all the time for frequency. Even when the others are at 2000mhz its running at 3500. Weird.

@3.7GHz on the desktop they are all equal. I'm running high performance mode though. You probably have balanced on. I think the SenseMI stuff works much faster in high performance mode though. Experiment with high performance just to see how it does.

Just got my rig up and running, I got R7 1700 and Corsshair board. I ran the Asus auto overclock program, and got an overclock of 3.9Ghz with 1.35v. I do plan on using the BIOS to get a higher overclock, but I am wondering what you guys are using to monitor temps and stressing the CPU?

Motherboard died last night. As I walked into the byoc section of microcenter this morning I had to ask my self if I really wanted to buy another 120 dollar mobo just to get my 8320 build working again. lol

Sooo, I'm typing from my new 1700 set up now :p

Just got my rig up and running, I got R7 1700 and Corsshair board. I ran the Asus auto overclock program, and got an overclock of 3.9Ghz with 1.35v. I do plan on using the BIOS to get a higher overclock, but I am wondering what you guys are using to monitor temps and stressing the CPU?
Make sure you have at least bios 902 installed, all previous bios can Brick your board with over volting CPUsoc (system on chip). I am using beta 1001 which is working great. Massive thread here dealing with the CrossHair 6 Hero, started by ASUS rep elmor involved with bios:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

Be ready for 300+ pages but they are good with some gold sprinkled throughout. First post is elmor which has link to bios 1001.

I am currently stress testing 3.9ghz using PState 0. 3.7ghz, 3.8ghz proved to be stable.

Looks like 4Ghz is my wall, I need 1.4 volts to be stable at that speed. I tried 4.05Ghz at 1.45 volts, but my system will crash when trying any stress test. Over all I'm happy at 4Ghz, with a max temp of 55C according to Asus Suite. See pic below of my system while I was still testing for leaks.

Attachments

• 20170318_162705.jpg
    20170318_162705.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 48
I bit the bullet and am getting a 1700 with an MSI Tomahawk B350. This is coming from an Ivy Bridge Xeon 1.8GHz, so I'm hoping for a nice jump in performance.

I got to 4.05GHz on my 1800X but only with 1.45 voltage. It was stable but the temps were too high for my taste. Some nice boost in synthetics but in gaming I was still GPU limited (at 4K) so no performance gain. I have it set back to stock now.

I bit the bullet and am getting a 1700 with an MSI Tomahawk B350. This is coming from an Ivy Bridge Xeon 1.8GHz, so I'm hoping for a nice jump in performance.
Have that setup here. What memory modules are you going to run? Latest beta BIOS for that board is 1.15. I am still on the release 1.0 and running my Trident Z @ 2400mhz 14-14-14-34.

Have that setup here. What memory modules are you going to run? Latest beta BIOS for that board is 1.15. I am still on the release 1.0 and running my Trident Z @ 2400mhz 14-14-14-34.

I went with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (3200MHz) but will likely need to downclock them until memory support is more universal in new BIOS releases.

That seems like a good choice to me. Good luck with it. I'm hopeful that within 2-3 months we'll have a release BIOS that will expand memory support and fix some of the early adopter issues. The Tomahawk seems like a pretty good motherboard for $110. Hoping to stick with it long term.

That seems like a good choice to me. Good luck with it. I'm hopeful that within 2-3 months we'll have a release BIOS that will expand memory support and fix some of the early adopter issues. The Tomahawk seems like a pretty good motherboard for $110. Hoping to stick with it long term.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll resolve all of these RAM incompatibilities and speed problems soon and we'll see the true nature of the beast at standard RAM frequencies above 3000Mhz, which is where the platform really shines.

MSI has added a bunch more kits to their QVL list, many up to 3200 (though sadly not the RAM I have). Looks like right now, 8GB sticks are about the max (I bought 16GB) but hopefully we'll see that change as well.

Updated my Asus Crosshair VI to bios version 902 this morning - can now run my Gskill TridentZ RGB at 3200mhz (only ever was able to run at 2133 before).

Bootup issues now resolved as well. Overall have 0 complaints now.

I definitely have a hardware issue, the PC is now refusing to shut down. It shuts off for about 2-3 seconds and then power back on but doesn't POST, fans sit and spin and the lights come on but its "off". I'm guessing the CPU is bad because core 8 is always maxed out.

I definitely have a hardware issue, the PC is now refusing to shut down. It shuts off for about 2-3 seconds and then power back on but doesn't POST, fans sit and spin and the lights come on but its "off". I'm guessing the CPU is bad because core 8 is always maxed out.

My main rig has done that since 2011, coming back on after I shut it down after a BSOD using the power button, if I don't hold it down for at least 30 sec.
But it will boot to windows at least, unlike yours.
Tough break man, hope you saved your boxes.

Hey ManofGod. I didn't catch an answer to this. I'm trying to decide if going with a less expensive setup makes sense. I'd put the cost savings into a monitor upgrade. Your thoughts?

I must have missed that or have not read the thread since you posted this. I am pleased with both of my Asus Prime X370 Pro boards, short of the long cold boot post time that most of the AM4 boards seem to be experiencing. Primarily, I just wanted my systems to just work out of the box and that is what I have ended up with.

Edit: I did go with the X370 or did you mean the B350? I think I am glad I went with the X370 at work just because my first board already works well at home.

Make sure you have at least bios 902 installed, all previous bios can Brick your board with over volting CPUsoc (system on chip). I am using beta 1001 which is working great. Massive thread here dealing with the CrossHair 6 Hero, started by ASUS rep elmor involved with bios:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

Be ready for 300+ pages but they are good with some gold sprinkled throughout. First post is elmor which has link to bios 1001.

I am currently stress testing 3.9ghz using PState 0. 3.7ghz, 3.8ghz proved to be stable.

I have the Crosshair Hero 6. I recently upgraded to BIOS 1001 (was on 0902). WAAAY better BIOS for memory. On 0902 I couldn't get my Corsair Vengence LED 3200 past 2666. But after I updated the BIOS to 1001 not I got my ram running at 3225.

Asus is doing a good job of updating the BIOS, man thats like 2 new ones in just the past week. They are making sure to support us CH6 owners. :)

Back