Ryzen Owners Thread

Got my setup running tonight. The 1800x itself seems good and is getting good scores in 3DMark (in the CPU tests at least). I went with dual RX 480s because I wanted to support AMD and test with their hardware. Sadly the GPUs are not holding up too well (certainly not at 4K res).

The plan was always to get Vega, but I wanted to get in on the Ryzen hype while it was hot. The 480s were more as a placeholder while I wait. The other thing is that I had the screen go black twice, needing a hard reset of the system. Not sure why that happened.

Reactions: Curl
like this
Far Cry Primal finally loaded. I feel better now, as it was actually playable in 4K high settings around 50fps average.

The strange thing is that changing the graphics setting only made a small difference, even at 1080P it was just above 60fps and even in the 50s still. Just got this game the other day, so I'm not familiar with the performance, but I would have thought I was GPU limited at 4K and dropping to 1080p would result in huge gains, but that wasn't the case.

In any event it was still nice to get playable (if sub-optimal) 4K performance out of the RX 480 CrossFire. Will download more games tonight and continue testing.

Reactions: Curl
like this
I put my 1700X together and it's running at 3.92 right now on a ASUS Prime B350-Plus. I have 2x 16gb G.Skill 3000 cl14 and system will only boot at 2133. I'm going to take some single rank 3200 G.Skill out of my Z170 rig and see how that works later in the morning. If it works I'll start pushing the cpu overclock a bit more.

I returned mine today to Micro Center. More than half sold there were returned. There bios is the worst of high end boards I asked the knowledgable sales guy which board has the least rturns. He said they sold 10 MSI Xpower Titaniums and not one had been returned. I immediately used myvstore credit to buy the Titanium board. The Crosshair board would not post and no beep on powerup with memory removed, a real dud.

Ahh, it got you too huh. Frakkin' Asus man

I have my Ryzen 1800X and my Asus Crosshair 6 and my 64gb of DDR4 3200 and even a Samsung 960 EVO 500gb stick etc... but not my AM4 bracket connector for my NZXT X62... douh! Literally staring at all the parts and missing 1. It looks fast... sigh

You don't need an AM4 bracket on Crosshair board. It supports AM3 as well as AM4 brackets.

Got my setup running tonight. The 1800x itself seems good and is getting good scores in 3DMark (in the CPU tests at least). I went with dual RX 480s because I wanted to support AMD and test with their hardware. Sadly the GPUs are not holding up too well (certainly not at 4K res).

The plan was always to get Vega, but I wanted to get in on the Ryzen hype while it was hot. The 480s were more as a placeholder while I wait. The other thing is that I had the screen go black twice, needing a hard reset of the system. Not sure why that happened.

I have a buttload of RX480s from mining and never been that impressed with them for gaming or crossfire. However last night i tried crossfire again with ryzen 1700 and actually saw benefit for the first time in my life. The divsion benchmark went from 62fps to 91fps 1080p and overwatch on epic settings went up to 190fps from 130ish.

I put my 1700X together and it's running at 3.92 right now on a ASUS Prime B350-Plus. I have 2x 16gb G.Skill 3000 cl14 and system will only boot at 2133. I'm going to take some single rank 3200 G.Skill out of my Z170 rig and see how that works later in the morning. If it works I'll start pushing the cpu overclock a bit more.

Update: running 16gb G.Skill 3200 @2400, CPU is at 4ghz with 1.4v

We need bios updates to make more RAM compatible at rated speeds.

Holy shit this thing is a beast! Not even close to maxing this sucker out!

List of open apps:

Doom 4
Candy Crush
Photo Editing
Chrome with 20 tabs open
Several utilities
Pathping

CQ3VsTx1j81VsD65AylDQ4v7g0NFuNxBLqbvpu8hTNVlMvoM_fW7MiPjxIZO3-PPCyxxAJWo3npiw6K4xccDuOPrcuE8GP0B5isQeWMcbQ7n6yxBvT9WljJUxxeO3IYrR75kykt0iFqM9rZamEp76Vxkc1lCd76mh05HJHgD86VX8i5dyRksg4OW18dPOovYS0xXYUBCP_bo2EBnCuPpZe7FdwHmb-FcNwvj0PF_yuLOVpf2OQpvM4QsjT0ZFd7pPuq9xLl3tQVzlq5b1aWZQNUOFV3dOrrJyrjZp475ju21bpGs0ewxgJZYF1O4v_EecbpSEjDX5sYwHUG028dEMDcAS_1JMkBksRHEFZPxjnJ1RiccrZ9EUAqP9XKAYwlgiJg7gaBFDTG-cps9QPr7K1b5YdL2gF2WJWg8B6VuKLtBVYO0ESr_257uOBHaiMfu160UBrura0YKqQs_g2SzbaZ11NwRiuWE_RJe0NHCFntKnn25mw_Xb8JXnHd8ShfiXCNmexOMQKJQceR-ytV-WOmokRmzsKmAy-JV1AySV_W2qtOQlESKXzsSc3raCBkrpEJ9-ZVorEz6syWfq1ZTklCcGMkehg8VdI1hD63bkDeHVSEtVuS2=w2372-h1334-no

Update: running 16gb G.Skill 3200 @2400, CPU is at 4ghz with 1.4v

We need bios updates to make more RAM compatible at rated speeds.
They are coming I am sure. I remember dealing with this and my X99 board for the larger DIMMs. BIOS updates will come, long as the system is stable and performing well enough then its ok for now!

Anyone get 3400 or 3600 memory working? I noticed the gigabyte x370 gaming k7 supports up to 3600 (oc)

Pre-Ordered my 1800X and Crosshair VI from Amazon within an hour of their window opening, still hadn't received shit and ended up cancelling my order. Am glad in a way it didn't ship last Friday as at this time the 1700X/1800X don't seem to be worth their premium's for anyone looking to OC using Air/Water.

Pissed that I've had to wait so long to play with my new toys after initially pre-ordering so early, planned on building and tinkering last weekend and this weekend either doesn't seem to be panning out either. I've got the rest of the parts for the build OTW though, didn't feel like waiting for the boards and risk something else going out of stock in the interim plus there's some decent rebates on a couple of my parts.

Rest of the builds in my sig ended up going with another set of the tridentz samsung b-die kits like ones currently running in SkyLake box. Originally planned on 3600 16-16-16-36 but so far Ryzen doesn't seem to like anything over 3200 so I swapped to a 3200 14-14-14-34 set. I realized / assumed the two kits had to be binned pretty damn close and that the 3600 CAS16'ers would almost absolutely ran 3200 14-14-14-34 no sweat but with all of the odd memory related issues Ryzen/Boards have been having wanted to make sure that at least whatever kits XMP profile i got wouldn't be "out of spec" for the platforms capabilities.

I'm also gonna probably go with the Giga X370 K7 instead of the CHVI at this time. Eventually when newer steppings arrive and the chips start to clock better I'll hopefully be able to pick-up a Formula/Extreme variant and a 1850X/1900X/whatever that will won't hit the current voltage wall but also clock to at least 4.5-4.6ish. If that pans out, will toss the Giga K7 / 3700 into one of my xenpool boxes to replace the FX-8 before doing the same for the rest.

How's everyone else enjoying their systems (those that have them)

Torn between the Crosshair VI, Taichi and GB K7 as I've said. This whole launch has been a fiasco, imo, not exactly all AMD's fault though.

Last edited:
Pre-Ordered my 1800X and Crosshair VI from Amazon within an hour of their window opening, still hadn't received shit and ended up cancelling my order. Am glad in a way it didn't ship last Friday as at this time the 1700X/1800X don't seem to be worth their premium's for anyone looking to OC using Air/Water.

Pissed that I've had to wait so long to play with my new toys after initially pre-ordering so early, planned on building and tinkering last weekend and this weekend either doesn't seem to be panning out either. I've got the rest of the parts for the build OTW though, didn't feel like waiting for the boards and risk something else going out of stock in the interim plus there's some decent rebates on a couple of my parts.

Rest of the builds in my sig ended up going with another set of the tridentz samsung b-die kits like ones currently running in SkyLake box. Originally planned on 3600 16-16-16-36 but so far Ryzen doesn't seem to like anything over 3200 so I swapped to a 3200 14-14-14-34 set. I realized / assumed the two kits had to be binned pretty damn close and that the 3600 CAS16'ers would almost absolutely ran 3200 14-14-14-34 no sweat but with all of the odd memory related issues Ryzen/Boards have been having wanted to make sure that at least whatever kits XMP profile i got wouldn't be "out of spec" for the platforms capabilities.

I'm also gonna probably go with the Giga X370 K7 instead of the CHVI at this time. Eventually when newer steppings arrive and the chips start to clock better I'll hopefully be able to pick-up a Formula/Extreme variant and a 1850X/1900X/whatever that will won't hit the current voltage wall but also clock to at least 4.5-4.6ish. If that pans out, will toss the Giga K7 / 3700 into one of my xenpool boxes to replace the FX-8 before doing the same for the rest.

How's everyone else enjoying their systems (those that have them)

Torn between the Crosshair VI, Taichi and GB K7 as I've said. This whole launch has been a fiasco, imo, not exactly all AMD's fault though.

The board with the fewest problems is MSI Titanium X370. I returned my Crosshair VI board Monday. It was a complete dud no video, no boot, no beep without memory. More than half of all Crosshair boards being sold by Micro Center are being returned. The only board that has zero returns is the MSI Xpower Titanium. Yes it has the same speed problems with memory but at least it posts and installs properly. All the boards out there have very slow boots. If you try to push the memory above the default speed it often will take 15 minutes or longer to get back into bios and reboot. The bios issues will undoubtedly take a couple of weeks to resolve. Sorry for the bad news but to overcome we must know wgat we are up against. We decided to be early adopters of a bleeding edge technology. Most often in these circumstances we pay the price in aggravation. In another month the storm clouds will be receding and we will all feel better.

The board with the fewest problems is MSI Titanium X370. I returned my Crosshair VI board Monday. It was a complete dud no video, no boot, no beep without memory. More than half of all Crosshair boards being sold by Micro Center are being returned. The only board that has zero returns is the MSI Xpower Titanium. Yes it has the same speed problems with memory but at least it posts and installs properly. All the boards out there have very slow boots. If you try to push the memory above the default speed it often will take 15 minutes or longer to get back into bios and reboot. The bios issues will undoubtedly take a couple of weeks to resolve. Sorry for the bad news but to overcome we must know wgat we are up against. We decided to be early adopters of a bleeding edge technology. Most often in these circumstances we pay the price in aggravation. In another month the storm clouds will be receding and we will all feel better.

I am very grateful that my Asus Prime X370 Pro has had no issues yet. However, even with CSM disabled, the bios boot time is 22 seconds which is very slow. I am picking up a Asus Prime B350 this weekend with a 1700 non X. Good board or would you do the MSI B350 board instead?

I have a running build with the 1800X and the MSI Titanium. So far it is working OK, but I'm a bit disappointed with some of the performance. RAM speed is a major issue and (on default settings) I could only get the 3200 speed RAM I bought up to 2400. After tweaking timing and voltage I managed to get to 2667, but I'm really hoping a BIOS patch will come to support 3200 speed. It's also really easy to get the mobo into a non-booting state. Even just enabling XMP will cause the PC to not POST and require a BIOS reset. The RAM issues are well known, though, and it seems likely they can be fixed. However, the boot time on the MSI board is horrible. It can take upwards of 30 to 45 seconds to get into Windows, a slowness I haven't seen in years. I've used cheapo $100 mobos with low-end SSDs and they can typically boot in 10 seconds. No idea why it's so bad and I really hope it can be solved.

On the bright side, the Ryzen CPU itself does seem really nice. Still have to do more tests but the benches I ran seem to have it performing well. Got a 4.05GHz OC without too much trouble, and I do like the Ryzen Master app. So I'm not totally upset about pre-ordering, I sort of knew what I was getting myself into. And I do need a better video card. Was waiting for Vega but got RX 480 CF as a stop-gap. Sadly the GPU performance is kind of holding the system back, so I may sell the cards and get a 1080Ti for until Vega drops. I guess the real test is how long it will take for mobo makers and Microsoft and everyone to release patches and get things working as they should be. If it's another 2 weeks or a month or whatever and then everything's fine I guess that would be OK. If we are waiting months for the fixes (or they never come) then that will be a different situation.

Last edited:
Generally Ram fixes and efficiencies get updates over several months over and up to 2 years. Hopefully they get stability up to 3200 standard quickly but extreme OC configurations and heavy tweaks will likely be minimum of 6 months, unless the sales are through the roof and they finally decide AMD needs more of their attention for once. (MSI support was terrible with the FX series. Great boards but OCing support was non-existent).

updated the bios on my tomahawk to 1.15 from the msi site someone provided earlier in this thread. http://msi-ftp.de:8080/login.html

my hyperx 2666 dual rank memory still won't do 2666. stuck at 2400 still.

it would post but wouldn't boot windows. at least i can still access bios with the 1.15 new bios. previously required clearing cmos on the board when memory overclock failed.

also, bios now reports cpu temperature correctly where previously it was high 60s while idle.

so, improvements good.

Been having quite a bit of "fun" (for given values of enjoyment) with a MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. Newegg failed to kick a preorder out the door, the local MicroCenter finally showed stock on Wednesday, so I drove to Baltimore to finish gathering build parts. Aside from the usual first start glitches, like sitting for about 2 minutes while it flickered the debug LEDS, the hardware itself seems to be running fine. 1700X / Gaming Pro Carbon / G'Skill F4-F3000C15 16GB (8x2) base system with an old Zalman CS9500 clip-on CPU cooler for setup purposes.

The weird part has been Windows 7.

On boot, the USB keyboard and mouse will be working just fine. You can navigate the BIOS easily with mouse and keyboard, Start loading Win 7 from a DVD (yes, I'm 'old-school', thankfully...), and just after the splash screen, the USB ports shut off! You can see the mouse LED sensor wink out, just before the "Install Windows" selection screen appears. It took ransacking my parts bins to find a USB-PS/2 adapter, to actually get a mouse running long enough to get the setup complete. XHCI Handoff and Legacy USB BIOS settings had no discernible effect.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

Been having quite a bit of "fun" (for given values of enjoyment) with a MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon. Newegg failed to kick a preorder out the door, the local MicroCenter finally showed stock on Wednesday, so I drove to Baltimore to finish gathering build parts. Aside from the usual first start glitches, like sitting for about 2 minutes while it flickered the debug LEDS, the hardware itself seems to be running fine. 1700X / Gaming Pro Carbon / G'Skill F4-F3000C15 16GB (8x2) base system with an old Zalman CS9500 clip-on CPU cooler for setup purposes.

The weird part has been Windows 7.

On boot, the USB keyboard and mouse will be working just fine. You can navigate the BIOS easily with mouse and keyboard, Start loading Win 7 from a DVD (yes, I'm 'old-school', thankfully...), and just after the splash screen, the USB ports shut off! You can see the mouse LED sensor wink out, just before the "Install Windows" selection screen appears. It took ransacking my parts bins to find a USB-PS/2 adapter, to actually get a mouse running long enough to get the setup complete. XHCI Handoff and Legacy USB BIOS settings had no discernible effect.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

Haven't tried W7 yet. But with all the chatter about the scheduler behaving differently, I may install it on another drive and see if I can corroborate the claims.

Where did you get the CH6 0902 from. All I see on Asus in a Beta 5704

I picked up the 1700X, ASUS X370 pro, 16 gig G.Skill 3000 mhz memory, and Corsair 110i to keep it cool. I cannot get the memory higher than 2133 tho, not sure why. Other than that its a great system.

there are no native usb drivers for am4 boards on windows 7.

you have to slip stream them in.

Some interesting new info from AMD:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

-No "silver bullet" Windows patch tomorrow. AMD believes the Windows 10 scheduler is working perfectly.
-SMT is working wonderfully and doesn't reduce performance.
-Ryzen 1700X and 1800X have a +20C offset to their reported temps. So if your temps seem high, subtract 20C. Ryzen 1700 doesn't have this offset.
-AMD recommends using the High Performance power plan for now, but will release an optimized power plan on April.

Some interesting new info from AMD:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

-No "silver bullet" Windows patch tomorrow. AMD believes the Windows 10 scheduler is working perfectly.
-SMT is working wonderfully and doesn't reduce performance.
-Ryzen 1700X and 1800X have a +20C offset to their reported temps. So if your temps seem high, subtract 20C. Ryzen 1700 doesn't have this offset.
-AMD recommends using the High Performance power plan for now, but will release an optimized power plan on April.
But that would be core parking and I am still not convinced of no scheduler issues. Granted I need more info as it seems too early to be absolute. Its just looking at some of the tests done with win7 and win10 there sure looks like a scheduler issue, but then again I cant be too sure what power profile they were using.

Oh and for those that want down clocking with performance power profile, just enter the settings for that profile and adjust the min state to 10-20%, what I had to do with my 8350. Core parking sucks.

So AMD is saying nothing is wrong, which on one hand is good, but on the other hand means there is no magic extra performance we can expect.

So AMD is saying nothing is wrong, which on one hand is good, but on the other hand means there is no magic extra performance we can expect.

I didn't buy it expecting it would, I bought it knowing what I would get. But who knows what the future holds, more disappointed that they say Windows 10 not being fast as Windows 7 is normal and it's the way Microsoft programmed it.

But that would be core parking and I am still not convinced of no scheduler issues. Granted I need more info as it seems too early to be absolute. Its just looking at some of the tests done with win7 and win10 there sure looks like a scheduler issue, but then again I cant be too sure what power profile they were using.

Oh and for those that want down clocking with performance power profile, just enter the settings for that profile and adjust the min state to 10-20%, what I had to do with my 8350. Core parking sucks.

I'm still testing, but I think core parking is actually what allows Ryzen to reach the <=2 core boost speed (4.0-4.1 GHz for the 1800X). Without it, it doesn't seem to detect "unused" cores and the max boost speed gets limited to 3.7 GHz. Obviously this doesn't matter if you're overclocking.

There's no need to set the processor Min/Max any more with Ryzen, because it handles this clock scaling internally, transparently to the OS in 1ms intervals. Windows only handles it in 30ms intervals, so you'll add latency. I compared High Performance and Balanced with a watt meter, and there was virtually no difference at idle or at full load.

Finally got my MSI Titanium last night. Threw in the 1800X, RAM and spare 980 I had laying around, and, nothing. She's dead Jim. Went through every combination of RAM, tested the PSU on another system. Either the CPU or mobo is deadski on arrival.

Bah.

And Amazon is OOS on it. To RMA with MSI or not, at this point, is the question.

^^ Why I'm afraid to screw with my memory on this Tomahawk. If it bricks there is nothing in stock to replace it with.

At least I now know why my idle temps are between 48 and 55 degrees and corsair link reports 27-33ish

^^ Why I'm afraid to screw with my memory on this Tomahawk. If it bricks there is nothing in stock to replace it with.

No problems with mine. I only increased memory to 2400 for now, will try more later. :) Nice little option in the UEFI to revert back to defaults if boot fails.

It's pretty bad everyone is stuck at such low ram speeds with so many motherboard issues / failures. I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on Ryzen.

Memory speed should get better but keep in mind it took Intel awhile to get memory working at higher speeds as well. Now bricking a motherboard by changing a setting, yeah thats a issue that should not be happening.

Back