Ryzen Owners Thread

Sure can, luckily I snapped a few ugly pics with my phone. Give me a few

Alright, here goes. EFI version is 1.40 (the latest I saw on the website the other day)
These are from the first attempt at a flat 4Ghz
IMG_20170305_232228.jpg
IMG_20170305_234603.jpg
IMG_20170305_234612.jpg

CPU Freq Multiplier Change set to MANUAL
CPU Freq Multiplier set to 4050
CPU Vcore Voltage set to Fixed
CPU Load-Line Calibration set to Level 1

When I tried 4100, it wasn't stable. Would reboot as soon as I'd put a load on it, light or heavy. Backed it down to 4050 at the same settings and its been stable so far. Had to head to the office today, so I left it running The Last Remnant benchmark @ 1080p in loop mode all day. CPU temp with HWinfo said 42C when I left. And it had already been running for 45 minutes or so. Not sure if that temp is accurate, but the radiator on the H60 was cool to the touch. If its still going when I get home, I'll move on to something heavier like Prime.

That Stable Mode option with Fixed Mode CPU VCore apparently targets 1.35v (which is what AMD recommends we target when OCing)

Last edited:
As for the Asus, much like JayzTwoCents

Changing options in the EFI lead to the exact same results. Initial target was a flat 4Ghz at 1.35v.

Somehow, after one of those reboots, I ended up with the same BIOS is updating screen seen here:

After letting the machine sit for 20 minutes, I started to get worried. Luckily, I needed to run out for couple of hours, so I let it sit. Come home 3 hours later, same screen. Only thing left to do was to reset (which did nothing) then pull the power. Once that happened, it never started again. It was clearly getting power as the RGB lighting was still pulsing different colors and the ready LEDs were lit green as the manual says, but the power switches didn't function.

Non of the usual tricks worked. Pulling board power didn't work, pulling PSU power until it drained didn't work, using BIOS flashback didn't work, none of the onboard power/reset/safe mode buttons worked.

It literally shit itself.

At this point, I'm kinda done with Asus for a while. That's 3 boards in a row that have had some kind of un-correctable issue (X99-A, X99 Deluxe, and now the C6H), which is the wrong answer for what they charge. Switched to ASRock with X99 as well and the issues went away.

EDIT: Whoa, quoting timestamped vid links preview the same thing >.>

Last edited:
So is 1.40V around the highest you want to go for the 1700/1800X? Or do you just hit a temperature wall there where you need water/LN?

Just come in to say hi. 1700+MSI tomahawk. with my 295x2 and EVGA 1025 PSU.

I moved over from a 4790k. I know its not an upgrade for gaming (at least for now), my display is between 2k and 4k. Its gonna be GPU bound for me one way or another, its just good to know my CPU won't be dragging my feet.

If somebody has some experience with MSI board OC, please do share.

Changing options in the EFI lead to the exact same results. Initial target was a flat 4Ghz at 1.35v.

Somehow, after one of those reboots, I ended up with the same BIOS is updating screen seen here:

After letting the machine sit for 20 minutes, I started to get worried. Luckily, I needed to run out for couple of hours, so I let it sit. Come home 3 hours later, same screen. Only thing left to do was to reset (which did nothing) then pull the power. Once that happened, it never started again. It was clearly getting power as the RGB lighting was still pulsing different colors and the ready LEDs were lit green as the manual says, but the power switches didn't function.

Non of the usual tricks worked. Pulling board power didn't work, pulling PSU power until it drained didn't work, using BIOS flashback didn't work, none of the onboard power/reset/safe mode buttons worked.

At this point, I'm kinda done with Asus for a while. That's 3 boards in a row that have had some kind of un-correctable issue (X99-A, X99 Deluxe, and now the C6H), which is the wrong answer for what they charge. Switched to ASRock with X99 as well and the issues went away.

Well, admittedly, I am now just slightly concerned. However, I had an Asus 970 Pro Aura that gave no issues. Now I have a Prime X370 Pro and so far, no issues either. When I do an unstable overclock, I end up with the same machine will flat out black out and no come back until I do a hard shutdown and power on.

Well, admittedly, I am now just slightly concerned. However, I had an Asus 970 Pro Aura that gave no issues. Now I have a Prime X370 Pro and so far, no issues either. When I do an unstable overclock, I end up with the same machine will flat out black out and no come back until I do a hard shutdown and power on.

In that case, I would just let it run at EFI defaults until Asus can get their thing together.

I'm very pleased. Well now I am. After watching the Asus Crosshair shit itself when attempting to OC, I exchanged it for an ASRock Fatality and I couldn't be more pleased. Getting to 4.05Ghz @ 1.344v was as easy as changing 3 or 4 EFI options.

http://valid.x86.fr/8zvdkq

So Curl. Still digging that board? I'm thinking about jumping ship on the asus for it.

So Curl. Still digging that board? I'm thinking about jumping ship on the asus for it.

I AM!
My first stability test passed with flying colors! Left this looping all day. That's basically 12 hours. Not sure if accurate but the temp never went above 44c. Cooler is a Corsair H60 in a 2 fan push pull config using some old Corsair static pressure fans. And I have the built in EFI fan tuning set to quiet.
IMG_20170306_175921.jpg

Think I'll run prime tomorrow while at work. See what I get

I sure hope G.Skill validates https://hardforum.com/threads/g-skill-flare-x-and-fortis-for-ryzen.1926514/ with that fatality board.

If so that will wrap it up for me. I'm gonna have to get 1700, the fatality, the 32gb cl14 3200, and the 1080ti. I'm not waiting for Vega any longer. Plus that last "event" really pissed me off with the lack of product details. Kyle threw more meaningful shit with the episodic VR then AMD did about their product.

Last edited:
I sure hope G.Skill validates https://hardforum.com/threads/g-skill-flare-x-and-fortis-for-ryzen.1926514/ with that fatality board.

If so that will wrap it up for me. I'm gonna have to get 1700, the fatality, the 32gb cl14 3200, and the 1080ti. I'm not waiting for Vega any longer. Plus that last "event" really pissed me off with the lack of product details. Kyle threw more meaningful shit with the episodic VR then AMD did about their product.

I hear ya. The Fury X is still holding up well at 1440p, so I'm doing pretty good. And I'd lose freesync if I went green.

So! I managed to make it sneeze. On a whim, I loaded up Ashes of the Singularity and ran the CPU focused benchmark. About halfway through it blanked out. Hit the reset button and I'm rolling again. Looks like I need to do a bit of tweaking to keep it stable under heavy loads. Going to try and up the voltage a wee bit first. If that doesn't work, I'll probably wind up backing down to 4Ghz and starting voltage tests again.

Last edited:
I am still waiting on Amazon to ship my Asus board. Bigger issue will see if I can get the board to play nice with 2 sticks of 16gb 3200 gskill ram. I would like to be able to at least run it at 3000.

Spending some time with my 1800X + Asrock Taichi X370 right now. I don't think these programs are accurately reporting temperatures as I got the same temps running @ 2 cores as 8 cores? Seems kind of crazy... I could be wrong.

upload_2017-3-6_23-5-21.png

Gkqtk91.png

G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZ for memory right now.

Running stock clocks until I can figure out if the temps are accurate or if I want to upgrade to an AIO :)

Not a good choice trying 64 GB ,especially since Ryzens IMC has problems with double rank dimms. I know because I have 2 G.Skill DDR 3200 16 GB double rank dimms. Nobody yet manufactures 16 GB single rank dimms. That would require a process shrink from 20nm to 14 nm by Samsung for their memory chips. Not likely to happen for another year.

I have my Ryzen 1800X and my Asus Crosshair 6 and my 64gb of DDR4 3200 and even a Samsung 960 EVO 500gb stick etc... but not my AM4 bracket connector for my NZXT X62... douh! Literally staring at all the parts and missing 1. It looks fast... sigh

looks like the crosshair board is having some issues. I have seen more people complain about those than any other board. May be Asus just couldn't get their shit together with bios.

Reactions: Curl
like this
Got all my parts tonight. In the middle of building it now.

RyzenParts1080.jpg

tell me you got the 1700 and planning on clocking it to 4ghz lol. and you put the other 180 bucks towards one of the rx 480. Hahaha

tell me you got the 1700 and planning on clocking it to 4ghz lol. and you put the other 180 bucks towards one of the rx 480. Hahaha
Ha, it's a 1800x. Wanted to go for the best. Not really much of an overclocker myself (it's never worked out for me) but I may try a little just to see.

Reactions: noko
like this

sounds like the chipset died from it sitting at that screen to long, have had it happen a couple times.. one when the system blue screened while i was at work and the person using the computer didn't say anything or do anything so it sat like that for 5 hours.. second one i had restarted my computer and walked away to do some other stuff for a couple hours only for it to get stuck on the bios screen.. looked like it was fine when i came back just like when i came home from work to the blue screen, restarted and nadda.. but yeah i agree with you, i've honestly had nothing but problems with asus boards over the last 10 years..

Reactions: Curl
like this
Got the build almost done. Only thing left is adding the LEDs but otherwise all the hardware is in there.

RyzenSemiBuilt.jpg

Definitely the cleanest build I've ever done. Sadly I wasn't able to try it tonight. Did turn it on, and the lights lit up and the fans went on and everything, but the debug LED was showing a code that wasn't in the manual. Not going to worry to much, will test tomorrow.

Got the build almost done. Only thing left is adding the LEDs but otherwise all the hardware is in there.

RyzenSemiBuilt.jpg

Definitely the cleanest build I've ever done. Sadly I wasn't able to try it tonight. Did turn it on, and the lights lit up and the fans went on and everything, but the debug LED was showing a code that wasn't in the manual. Not going to worry to much, will test tomorrow.
That looks rather sharp! Way better then what mine will probably look like.

I preordered the AC6 from amazon, and it still has not shipped. I contacted support and they are saying they anticipate shipping date of April 12! The rumors of Asus pulling it may have something to it. Bummer, I can't find any US website that have quality x370 boards in stock.

From my experience, I can tell you that the RAM in this screenshot is working quite well for me:
r7yqjrQ.png

It reports the name as 8GTZKW, but that's probably because that's a single stick.
The actual name for the kit is F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW

That's the stuff I managed to easily boot at 3200 with CL14, but had some stability issues with (mind you, all other settings at stock).
By changing just the frequency to 2933, it runs perfectly right now.

As soon as I figure out how to best run a stability test for this, I'll probably try tinkering and getting 3200 stable with some manual tweaking. :)

That is a really clean and sweet looking build.
Hey, what case is that? I plan to go pure m.2 so I don't need drive cages any longer.

Well, I guess my last post got deleted where I just created an account and was trying to post a link where I got my MSI X370 Titanium if you were looking for a board, and they are still in stock (I guess I got one of the last ones. They are in backorder status now). Since it's my first post, even though I frequently look at these forums, I'll forego that.

I was trying to wait on the Asus CH6 since it is compatible with the AM3+ Bracket and I have a Cryorig A40 Ultimate that I'm still waiting on an AM4 bracket for. Since it has proved near impossible to get, and I found the MSI Titanium in stock I sprung for that. Now, if Cryorig will just send my bracket. It sucks having my 1700X here and just getting to look at it in the box.

I'm rather impatient to get to use my 1700X since this is my first new build in a long time. I'm moving up from an X58 and Core i7 975.

Last edited:
One thing on DDR4 that crops up in the X99 stuff, sometimes it needs quite a bit more voltage than recommended to run stable. I think my GSkill says 1.375v, I've been at 1.4v since 2015. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, a lot of X99 rigs are even higher voltage than I run.

Just something to consider, might make the difference on a marginal DRAM OC.

Are you guys installing you mobo chipset driver ? Windows picks up everything on my 1700, X370 Pro build.

Are you guys installing you mobo chipset driver ? Windows picks up everything on my 1700, X370 Pro build.

Yes I just installed all the drivers for my motherboard. You need to install all the drivers, don't rely on the windows ones.

One thing on DDR4 that crops up in the X99 stuff, sometimes it needs quite a bit more voltage than recommended to run stable. I think my GSkill says 1.375v, I've been at 1.4v since 2015. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, a lot of X99 rigs are even higher voltage than I run.

Just something to consider, might make the difference on a marginal DRAM OC.

Good point! Yes I have the Corsair Vengence 3200 kit, and the default voltage was 1.35v. Haven't run it faster than 3200 yet, but I do have it set to 1.38v.

Would the Ryzen Chipset Driver direct from AMD site be better than the motherboard Chipset Driver ?

Would the Ryzen Chipset Driver direct from AMD site be better than the motherboard Chipset Driver ?

Oh I didn't even know AMD had the chipset drivers there. But I used the Asus drivers, and everything is working fine.

Well, Sapphire sent me the updated vbios for my R9 Fury Tri X card. Now it boots correctly with CSM disabled on my Asus Prime X370 motherboard. However, bios boots times still take far to long and do not appear to do a proper UEFI GOP Windows hybrid shutdown bootup.

Hmm once there is a few bios updates, I may try my phase change system that was upgraded some years ago by Jinu. Not sure if it's worth all the effort to fire it up again tho.

I returned mine today to Micro Center. More than half sold there were returned. There bios is the worst of high end boards I asked the knowledgable sales guy which board has the least rturns. He said they sold 10 MSI Xpower Titaniums and not one had been returned. I immediately used myvstore credit to buy the Titanium board. The Crosshair board would not post and no beep on powerup with memory removed, a real dud.

looks like the crosshair board is having some issues. I have seen more people complain about those than any other board. May be Asus just couldn't get their shit together with bios.

Back