Ryzen Owners Thread

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by RAutrey, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

What makes you think you're going to get 4ghz out of your 1700?

2. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Limp Gawd

My impression was that this is an EXISTING build waiting on a new case. He already has it running and overclocked to 4.0GHz.

3. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

You might be right.

4. oneforspeed

oneforspeed [H]Lite

For those that are running virtual machines. Have you noticed any cross bleeding with the Ryzen processors? Basically, if you heavily load one vm does it pull down the system or other vms? I used to notice this on some intel machines and less often on AMD machines. One vm would max and bog the entire pc. Just want to make sure it isn't an issue with the new offerings before I jump in the game.

5. Silent.Sin

Silent.Sin Gawd

I generally only run lightweight stuff like a linux box for easy ssh and *nix duties for work, or for small labs to test stuff like docker, chef, etc but I've never noticed anything like that which wasn't expected. I went from 6 core Intel to 6 core AMD and don't feel a noticeable difference in VM behavior.

In my experience, it's all about making sure your VMs have access to their own storage I/O and less about absolute CPU. You can overallocate CPU and RAM and up until the point where those get completely saturated everything generally runs pretty smoothly. If you are sharing a single hard disk with your host or between multiple VMs and there are some intense storage ops going on? Forget about it. Even on an SSD it can get chippy with a lot of random activity.

Make sure you have a separate disk or array specifically for your VMs and you will be in much better shape.