Ryzen Owners Thread

I may try out that utility for OCing.

Manual overclocking 3.9ghz looks stable but I won't really know until I use it for awhile. 4ghz so far has been elusive but I didn't go above 1.4v for the cpu.
I have the Crosshair Hero 6. I recently upgraded to BIOS 1001 (was on 0902). WAAAY better BIOS for memory. On 0902 I couldn't get my Corsair Vengence LED 3200 past 2666. But after I updated the BIOS to 1001 not I got my ram running at 3225.

Asus is doing a good job of updating the BIOS, man thats like 2 new ones in just the past week. They are making sure to support us CH6 owners. :)
Yes indeed! Not only that, 1001 runs the ram at CR1 vice CR2 - so improvement there as well. I am at 3950mhz with ram at 3200 stress testing - so far it seems good. I use the Pstate 0 method which allows automatic down clocking in Windows but full speed when needed.

My main rig has done that since 2011, coming back on after I shut it down after a BSOD using the power button, if I don't hold it down for at least 30 sec.
But it will boot to windows at least, unlike yours.
Tough break man, hope you saved your boxes.

I think I solved it, bad stick of RAM. I tested all 4 slots with the "good" stick and everything works as it should. I'm back in windows, don't know if the fans are still acting up because I bypassed it a while ago with a manual fan controller.

I think I solved it, bad stick of RAM. I tested all 4 slots with the "good" stick and everything works as it should. I'm back in windows, don't know if the fans are still acting up because I bypassed it a while ago with a manual fan controller.

Good to hear, I was going to suggest a fan controller, I run one on every build.

Good to hear, I was going to suggest a fan controller, I run one on every build.

lol

Want to see what my idle looks like now?

Idle.jpg

I have not tried RyZen Master yet, is it any good? Does it cause conflicts with other software like ASUS AI Suite 3? Frankly I am not too found of AI 3 - Did there automatic clocking, it got up to 4050mhz and then crashed - that is what they say should happen but then PC would not start up. Had to clear CMOS, reboot into Windows. Tried again but with a temperature limitation of 75 which the AI Suite set multiplier to 39x and some god awful voltage around 1.5v which kept the CPU, all cores at 3.9ghz even if they were not doing anything. I went back to the manual method using PStates with much less voltage needed etc.

Well, I got the temps down finally. I tested the back of the VRM with a multimeter and found the board was juicing a solid 1.488V at idle, so I set a manual voltage of 1.250V and my idle is down to 45C which is a normal temp for this time of year of 25C in the real world. The "auto" voltage says 1.350V but it clearly wasn't delivering that.

Well, I got the temps down finally. I tested the back of the VRM with a multimeter and found the board was juicing a solid 1.488V at idle, so I set a manual voltage of 1.250V and my idle is down to 45C which is a normal temp for this time of year of 25C in the real world. The "auto" voltage says 1.350V but it clearly wasn't delivering that.
Well that's a start, unfortunately took a dogs age to find it.

Thats weird. My idle temps are 36C, and full load is 64C. I'm at 4005 with 1.43v. I'm using the H110i.

I've been using Ryzen Master to monitor temps. That seems to be the only accurate temp reads right now. HWinfo and AI 3 suite shows 10C higher for me.

My idle temps are 30oC under load it does not get past 56oC @3.7GHz 1.18v witch is incredible as there seems to be alot of head room on my chip but it might hit a wall at 3.8-3.9, I'm using a coolermaster liquidmaster 120 for cooling it seems to be doing a fine job but then again im using a 1700 non x so XFR chips might need a bigger cooling solution

No wonder your temps were thru the roof smh.
It's a good thing you caught it or you would have a crispy critter for a cpu.

No wonder your temps were thru the roof smh.
It's a good thing you caught it or you would have a crispy critter for a cpu.

Yeah I only noticed it because I was monkeying around taking the second fan off of the CPU cooler because it was making a bad bearing noise, I hit the VRM heatsink and thought I was going to get 3rd degree burns.

Also, I've been informed on another forum that Ryzen Master causes core 8 to load weirdly for some reason, which I verified using HWinfo64.

Yeah I only noticed it because I was monkeying around taking the second fan off of the CPU cooler because it was making a bad bearing noise, I hit the VRM heatsink and thought I was going to get 3rd degree burns.

Also, I've been informed on another forum that Ryzen Master causes core 8 to load weirdly for some reason, which I verified using HWinfo64.

Hmmm...I did not know this, good info.
Link?

I did go with the X370 or did you mean the B350? I think I am glad I went with the X370 at work just because my first board already works well at home.

That's my bad. I thought for some reason you were running two B350 boards. I must have misread. Damn Alabama schools :p

not sure if its been asked yet, but has anyone tried nerfing two cores to see if they can hit higher than 4.2ghz oc'd?

Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Ryzen 1700 (stock for now)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB LPX (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Latest BETA BIOS 1.43.
Board shipped with BIOS 1.30 and I had to flash it in Windows as Instant Flash wasn't even installed in the original BIOS. Talk about a nervous few minutes.

Can't get system to post with memory over 2133 even though the memory is on the QVL list on Asrock's site.

Probably need to wait for some more BIOS updates.

I was able to run the chip up to 3.8GHz stable on 1.275 vcore. :) using AMD Ryzen Master.

Anyone else have this board with memory functioning over 2133?

Last edited:
20170314_184920.jpg
20170314_185042.jpg 20170314_184920.jpg
Here's my build, one thing I don't like about this board is that the vid card blocks one of the pciex1 slots so expandability is limited to the one usb 3.0 card I have installed. Once everything is hooked up I only have 3 usb slots left on the back, so the gigabyte Matx board probably would have been better as the vid card doesn't block any pcie slots so it would net me an open full length pcie slot without losing any 3usb slots.

I'm reasonably happy with the onboard audio as the ports can be reconfigured; I'm running a 5.1 setup using the 3 rear audio ports even though they're color coded to be stereo out, line in and mic in. I run my line in to one of the front ports (also configurable).

Last edited:

Latest BETA BIOS 1.43.
Board shipped with BIOS 1.30 and I had to flash it in Windows as Instant Flash wasn't even installed in the original BIOS. Talk about a nervous few minutes.

Can't get system to post with memory over 2133 even though the memory is on the QVL list on Asrock's site.

I was able to run the chip up to 3.8GHz stable on 1.275 vcore. :) using AMD Ryzen Master.

I have an Asrock and I used Ryzen Master to set the memory. I didn't really give the bios much of a chance; I'll go back into it and see what I can do at a later date. For some reason setting the memory in the bios to XMP settings never worked; it seemed to override them with tighter settings for 2133 speeds. When I used the XMP settings in Ryzen Master it worked perfectly.

Latest BETA BIOS 1.43.

Updated my GPU drivers to 17.3.3 and I couldn't get my memory to post past 2133 using the settings in Ryzen Master. Found out that after setting the proper speeds and restarting, I need to let the Ryzen Master software load up successfully on the next boot. If you are impatient and don't allow it to load up, it will assume that the settings failed and revert them back to 2133.

The reason why I was restarting it without waiting was that the first boot always sets my monitor to 680x480. So I have to restart the PC after new GPU drivers to get the proper resolution. If you happen to have the same issue, endure the block images for a minute until Ryzen Master has loaded and then restart.

Updated my GPU drivers to 17.3.3 and I couldn't get my memory to post past 2133 using the settings in Ryzen Master. Found out that after setting the proper speeds and restarting, I need to let the Ryzen Master software load up successfully on the next boot. If you are impatient and don't allow it to load up, it will assume that the settings failed and revert them back to 2133.

The reason why I was restarting it without waiting was that the first boot always sets my monitor to 680x480. So I have to restart the PC after new GPU drivers to get the proper resolution. If you happen to have the same issue, endure the block images for a minute until Ryzen Master has loaded and then restart.

Thanks for the reply. Will try...

Got my H105 and H90 ready, but still no brackets

I think you used the wrong RAM slots. The manual shows the first slots to be filled as the ones you have empty. Does it really make any real difference? To be honest I'm not sure it does. If your RAM is running fine you might just want to leave it. If it's not performing as expected you could try the other slots, your call.

Ok here's a few build pics. I have the 1700 @ 4064Mhz 1.41v, Asus CH6, 16G Vengence LED 3200

KQm0Z2oeX3XiTKLdncKnLwzel4fL34tcHqcGIFerVAwzxcsHgq1XAkF9smRWWuUz9b3PUFP1XzKdGtjDQ2UhIMshUDzR-SyhT637Co63_iP2c6_h15TBJOI5-Q_9toBNH-6yxpAaDLnNmsX9XPS9GdmNpL__CzNhp3zQZ-yEM_pc8MVf4oTzN4jox8YxULrRyLDUDlN8WQy2LhKwhTtETp5qmWuxWBVO-_SGWCrTSSOTxBfOshFJi4GvsrgaanRIc3EbGvHHM5IEd5696Z1s5l3WQ_rXyoesF6ar73ckMoMZfZwb3agX81Ks9Mx7L0WrerrwMEs8wPzpEkFI6QnDBCa0qYYJrWPkECocF4q424JrfylUZOxcxHOmOSMHmd1oDspPNgdXcNE7npU6l4YMvRF3QvKxXv5UaGky4a8jHgaLr45yYGb4s5_vnUbh-QM-DXUIYh0lBxqlc7hzYMig3bxkhJl87wcRBScXQOE8w40GxpLu98xWhFPgHUJVBIZ9hzf2QY2rdwb0vCimnsLxpm3ckvQkt3MV1cndrfSxbOI-p8Hy9gRLTCpOtPHfla04WR9mmqaJcOY5vmoeSGxAtPZaPvQLYSYtpubSwcbQH1ONT65uqVlc=w1299-h974-no

1cMYM7HzYNdhX8IejjvWIj1EqUb0cvrHu2O_6KvCWiTxvSfhwKHKv5gRGyvTDaPIf8VjKbbfLDpwAO-E69DRucBWDV6D_C-pFrtVz8mA6g3vFK1ENffQyEK4PSwqikoXlXZG51zcz3vMeG5lFyp1CpTHrYkhgR3h7IdXsDKTAM608jmNMRSw80IzsTD5UFNY66sst3GMHowVNcYhfurmqvHqA8fS3cZEdvpRuHBCGAPaDfJLYSuwknAIF0plLlto71I3msFZL1TJE_8TY2b0MwYkc1KAKC8YRIxaC5MqE3vT0vvB7dM-cQPekbQeCyQJLB-LQ8RAKAzFeaWLkv5qhD69Cs-hPL-AXGO3nfNwl9FZPp7Su_pedl6bCIGPrXca3U_g8NmVF53D_lxmZv6yBWndo17yPae3cR2iqo5UjUjDhrpCVI1rjlg8E0y4TXaEJX_NbD3SOljoj78yGfoOppUZRZSp3oNpqAszMEC7ayCoAQWxgBNzC7d2RVllVa6aTpCaInMZACW2x0kB0-w_UFT_8yV8J7Wr1rxEyboHPL6ES5f1Z6C5L7rzNbUKLY1QCnTqEGDZ7wq-wHd2bh1VmC0MCvbZPPu5t21QtiYc6usM_OvlDpjr=w1299-h974-no

9kGLsUgg84acAgTaVEC1lvlTL8j0I8b6Wd1ieZyDjPGkoLgbU9ZX3hO_fMF_WD8H6IT9-Q5slt-VAogxuRWIb27phn6B5Uzp1wNDldvhxbZHkPt7kJo5aOg3UAxW925hfNFh0u_i-rdSOxVCB68_lSFubBoplfJbBnhWs2ZDqH08B-vqpJsve4ULmN8Gyk-jZdn3kHL0DUQP1HuUGb8e01wYtYvSsoUIRP2veDOu6F0xNSBfbPMPUohim4M_B8AEUNNIeAdQDJCGNjt-j4Oy1piskFxttqVaCeunJTFgy52dLoqLF4hV6wkjsq0uE97hPuO5wsxINcidGPA0AevY4jFCHwky5EgxR1ARAd8r3BXGVnEzbyCxqT-vjJ9ZlhZcrFGSNvi4ropUm35tsmX9xSPDKobyFChJHQ6T2HhHRr6yMie78Hb02grZQ5ThmApG_uhaJpE4ZYFWosk62pZrgUSrhzXh5bekpgq7At0GFsTiuQmRFnoM46vOGIr6rRhGVAJCjNlHT119ZiSATGer5HC_HBhwJ4Nde4fSLc6RINAC2K3eRgQvX0ETb1C-A93nMA7PTuKC4dFyVdc6TDpMQyx-e0h5lKhv8HjMmUgetttw-HHRIXb2=w1423-h974-no
haha I was looking at your post and thought "Dang, that's a cool looking Construction Site themed build" lol
Then I thought "Aww, that poor WiFi antenna, having to deal with those damn power cables!" :p
THEN whilst observing the last pic, it dawned on me... ":eek: HOLY SHIT... someone's using that silly background I made!!" :LOL:

But seriously... My ego thanks you for that! hahah

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic already in progress...

Whats a good cheap waterblock for Ryzen? I discovered a D5 vario and 360mm XSPC rad in my closet while cleaning out some boxen, might water cool it for the heck of it.

Whats a good cheap waterblock for Ryzen? I discovered a D5 vario and 360mm XSPC rad in my closet while cleaning out some boxen, might water cool it for the heck of it.

I saw this list of AM4 water block options over at Performance PCs. If my family can stop asking to borrow money, then I will get the XSPC Pro only because I already have a XSPC block on my video card. The HEATKILLER IV pure copper looks the sickest in my opinion. I had such a good experience with a Koolance block on my FX-9370 that I may go that route again.

HK_IV_AMD_002.jpg

Mine is almost done now got the radiator installed and working. Need to finalize the corsair link setup for the AIO.

I am seeing some temperature reporting variation. BIOS will show idle of 35c. Ryzen Master shows 25c. What is the deal with that?

MSI Tomahawk B350
1700 (non X)

Mine is almost done now got the radiator installed and working. Need to finalize the corsair link setup for the AIO.

I am seeing some temperature reporting variation. BIOS will show idle of 35c. Ryzen Master shows 25c. What is the deal with that?

MSI Tomahawk B350
1700 (non X)

That is normal as the chip runs at higher voltage in bios. In windows it will run the voltage at a lower p-state and thus a lower temperature will be reported.

That is normal as the chip runs at higher voltage in bios. In windows it will run the voltage at a lower p-state and thus a lower temperature will be reported.

Possibly a dumb question... but does Ryzen Master show the CORRECT temps? I know some applications were supposed to show +20C over the actual temps for the 1700X and 1800X because reasons. But does AMD's own app report correctly?

When I run cpu-z stress test temps don't climb over 38c with all 16 threads @ 100%.

I know some benchmarks will push it harder and hotter than cpu-z can but I am surprised to see such cool temps. Even with a pretty cool running setup like mine. Honestly not sure if I can believe it.

Corsair Link either doesn't report the CPU temp at all or is reporting it differently than Ryzen Master too. All around bit of a confusing situation.

They dont run super hot until you really push the voltage, however that is pretty cool. Under load I was seeing 50c at stock speeds and prime95. Overclock it and raise the voltage and trust me that headroom will shrink up :)

Well I have 4 140mm intake fans and 3 140mm exhaust. Two of the exhaust are in push on a 280mm radiator exhausting air out the top. Pretty clean open case without much to obstruct flow. So it is about as cool as I'm going to get without installing a custom loop or a bigger radiator.

I would tend to assume Ryzen Master is the most trustworthy of the programs I have to track the CPU temps with.

Soon as I get another BIOS update I'll try to do some overclocking. End goal is a stable 3.8GHz as long as I can keep it cool enough not to fry an egg.

Back