Ryzen Owners Thread

Memory speed should get better but keep in mind it took Intel awhile to get memory working at higher speeds as well. Now bricking a motherboard by changing a setting, yeah thats a issue that should not be happening.
Why couldn't the memory speed issue been worked out prior to the ryzen launch?

There's no "issue". The highest official speed according to the JEDEC DDR4 standard is 2400 MT/s. Anything over that is technically factory overclocked.
Also, keep in mind that the CCX connection fabric is locked to the memory clock. The good thing is that faster memory improves performance, but the drawback is that you might hit the limit of the fabric clock speed before you max out the RAM.

Not sure what the issue is, just know Intel had issues as well on ddr4 and high speeds. Tho Ryzen feels far more rushed, I think its more the reality is they just didnt have the time and staff to get it all handled.

Finally got my Asus Prime B350M-A this afternoon and put it together. Ran fine right out of the box, though memory defaulted to 2133mhz. Haven't tried any tweaking yet, just loading software and seeing what it does out of the box.

Well I am posting this on my Ryzen system now. Tho I almost hosed myself by forgetting to uninstall AMD Overdrive. That was a bit of frustration that I created.. oops.

I am very grateful that my Asus Prime X370 Pro has had no issues yet. However, even with CSM disabled, the bios boot time is 22 seconds which is very slow. I am picking up a Asus Prime B350 this weekend with a 1700 non X. Good board or would you do the MSI B350 board instead?

What us CSM?

What us CSM?

The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

Not sure how long my Prime takes to POST. By the time my sluggish BenQ monitor has woken up, it's already loading Windows...

Not sure how long my Prime takes to POST. By the time my sluggish BenQ monitor has woken up, it's already loading Windows...
lol, if I wanna get into bios I watch for flashing light on my usb mic so I know when to hit del button. By the time monitor is on too late.

lol, if I wanna get into bios I watch for flashing light on my usb mic so I know when to hit del button. By the time monitor is on too late.

Definitely gotta use other cues.. I use the illumination of my keyboard which resets when it is going thru the POST process. I was always annoyed how it did this and didnt remember its previous setting but now its a "feature" that tells me when to hit the BIOS entry key.

Also random question regarding POST time. This is the first time to use a NVME drive and that seems to be the thing that extends my POST (or at least one of things). Is it always been this way? Or is this kind of thing model specific. Meaning if I put this on a Intel Z270 would it do the same thing? Just curious.

I've got a Ryzen 1700 currently running at 3850 on all cores, Prime95 8+ hours stable, and all I did was change the multiplier and set the LLC to Extreme in the UEFI. My Corsair DDR4-3000 Memory is running at 2933 by enabling the DOCP option.

Equipment used: Ryzen 7 1700, Asus Prime B350-Plus, Corsair DDR4-3000 2x8 16G Kit, Samsung 840 EVO 256G SATA SSD, 2x WD Velociraptor 300G in software RAID 0, Radeon R9 290 4G Video Card, Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 PCI Sound card, old Cooler Master case.

Cooling: Lapped Koolance 380a (mounted with modified 390 AM4 Kit), 2x Koolance VRM-40 CRM Coolers (needed to use a motherboard standoff hole for the shorter of the 2 VRMs because the smallest Koolance block was too long - board is supported with an old plastic standoff in the original VRM hole), Koolance Chipset cooler on chipset, also using mobo standoff hole and plastic standoff in original hole. Pictures will follow later for those interested.

Note to custom cooler users on the Asus B350-Plus: The mainboard backplate is glued on and I had to use a blowdryer to remove it.

Running my 1700x and only 53 degrees under full load in prime95 and it shows the cpu at 1.24 volts. Tho my custom loop is pretty beefy, I am still happy with that. Have not messed around at all with overclocking yet, but I think I got a decent chance of getting it to 4 ghz on all cores.

I do own me an 1800x.

Havnt been able to buy a mobo I want yet, definitely a Ryzen owner.

Running my 1700x and only 53 degrees under full load in prime95 and it shows the cpu at 1.24 volts. Tho my custom loop is pretty beefy, I am still happy with that. Have not messed around at all with overclocking yet, but I think I got a decent chance of getting it to 4 ghz on all cores.

Give it a try, I was able to get 3.8 on the stock cooler on my 1700. Temps got up to 75c so I didn't try any higher, but it was stable, so with your cooling I'd think you can get higher than that.

What have you gotten out of the ram? I can only get 2400 out of my 3000 corsair lpx. Early days, though.

I've got a Ryzen 1700 currently running at 3850 on all cores, Prime95 8+ hours stable, and all I did was change the multiplier and set the LLC to Extreme in the UEFI. My Corsair DDR4-3000 Memory is running at 2933 by enabling the DOCP option.

Equipment used: Ryzen 7 1700, Asus Prime B350-Plus, Corsair DDR4-3000 2x8 16G Kit, Samsung 840 EVO 256G SATA SSD, 2x WD Velociraptor 300G in software RAID 0, Radeon R9 290 4G Video Card, Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 PCI Sound card, old Cooler Master case.

Cooling: Lapped Koolance 380a (mounted with modified 390 AM4 Kit), 2x Koolance VRM-40 CRM Coolers (needed to use a motherboard standoff hole for the shorter of the 2 VRMs because the smallest Koolance block was too long - board is supported with an old plastic standoff in the original VRM hole), Koolance Chipset cooler on chipset, also using mobo standoff hole and plastic standoff in original hole. Pictures will follow later for those interested.

Note to custom cooler users on the Asus B350-Plus: The mainboard backplate is glued on and I had to use a blowdryer to remove it.

What bios? I'm running (I assume) the same ram on the asus prime b350m-a and can only get 2400 out of it.

Give it a try, I was able to get 3.8 on the stock cooler on my 1700. Temps got up to 75c so I didn't try any higher, but it was stable, so with your cooling I'd think you can get higher than that.

What have you gotten out of the ram? I can only get 2400 out of my 3000 corsair lpx. Early days, though.

I have not messed with the ram at all yet since I am using 16gb sticks I dont expect spectacular results with it. I think May is when AMD is coming with a memory patch that should help that tho. I will try cranking up the processor tonight and seeing where I get, but I am also reading up what others have done as well. Sometimes just 1 little setting can make you unstable.

Woohoo! Just locked down a Taichi at Microcenter. Know what I'll be doing for lunch today!

That's the board I have been waiting for but my local Microcenter is still out of stock. I clicked like but I'll be honest...I am bitter and jealous. :D

Please let us know what you think of the Taichi!

The pictures I promised... (I know mine is not the prettiest of rigs, but it's mine :)) The kinked hose in the picture got sleeved.

WP_20170316_15_54_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20170316_15_54_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20170316_15_55_11_Pro.jpg

Well, I finally got mine, ready to go back to the FX 8350 already because of this stupid 65C idle thing causing all of the fans to run at full blast 100% of the time. So goddamn annoying. Nothing is worth this kind of noise.

Got the 1700X on the Asus B350 Prime with 16GB of 2666 G-Skill running at 2133 right now. Using the NH-U12S currently but I'm really really really getting tired of the noise. I hit 75C instantly in a game, all stock settings I don't even have DOCP enabled. Even subtracting the 20C differential for the X model that is absolutely insane. Repasted 3 times, getting good contact with the cooler but the temps are out of control. Not sure what stock voltage ranges are but it shows 1.350V in BIOS for the CPU.

Here is with 100% fans at idle - 2x Fractal Venturi on the cooler
If I put the fans back to auto it shoots up to 60-62C instantly which would be a "real" idle of what, 40C?

temps.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I finally got mine, ready to go back to the FX 8350 already because of this stupid 65C idle thing causing all of the fans to run at full blast 100% of the time. So goddamn annoying. Nothing is worth this kind of noise.

If you are idling at 65C, there is something very wrong... Which specific Ryzen, mobo, and cooling system do you have? Are you overclocking? Assuming (because it's HardOCP, of course) the cooling system itself is correctly installed and up to snuff, then it could be either something in the BIOS or in the case of the R7 1700X and up, it could be the temp sensor bug (where the processors report temps 20C higher than reality).

If you are idling at 65C, there is something very wrong... Which specific Ryzen, mobo, and cooling system do you have? Are you overclocking? Assuming (because it's HardOCP, of course) the cooling system itself is correctly installed and up to snuff, then it could be either something in the BIOS or in the case of the R7 1700X and up, it could be the temp sensor bug (where the processors report temps 20C higher than reality).

I updated the post, I did a lot of reading about it and people were saying Windows re-install... well I have both a fresh 7 and 10 and both show the same thing. BIOS agrees. Maybe I'll just put 3-pin fans on and wire them straight to a 7V adapter and ignore the motherboard altogether.

I updated the post, I did a lot of reading about it and people were saying Windows re-install... well I have both a fresh 7 and 10 and both show the same thing. BIOS agrees. Maybe I'll just put 3-pin fans on and wire them straight to a 7V adapter and ignore the motherboard altogether.

Yeah, that is quite odd that the fans would run at 100% in idle. I have an Asus Prime X370 Pro ( 2 of them, actually) and a 1700X at home with it running at 3.8 Ghz at 1.300v and my fans do not run at 100 % at idle. (They are the fans that came with the Noctua NH-D15.) I also have a 1700 Non X at work running at 3.7 GHz at 1.275v but, I am using the Wraith Spire cooler than it came with.

The fans do run at 100 % when at a full, consistent load but that is the only time they do. I did find out that the Water Pump header cannot be used with a fan because it does run at 100 % all the time, or at least not with a high speed fan. Which header I you using for the fans? Do you have 4 pin splitter to ruse both fans off of one header?

Not sure how much this really helps but, I figured I would share it just in case.

Well remember a 8 core chip is going to be a warm chip. 75 C under a load is not that bad since you have a 20 degree offset. I think they did the offset to make fans more aggressive which you have seen and heard. I have a large water cooled system and I hit 53 C under prime 95 load and that number is minus the offset. If you want download Ryzen Master and take a look at the chip and what it's doing that way as well.

Yeah, that is quite odd that the fans would run at 100% in idle. I have an Asus Prime X370 Pro ( 2 of them, actually) and a 1700X at home with it running at 3.8 Ghz at 1.300v and my fans do not run at 100 % at idle. (They are the fans that came with the Noctua NH-D15.) I also have a 1700 Non X at work running at 3.7 GHz at 1.275v but, I am using the Wraith Spire cooler than it came with.

The fans do run at 100 % when at a full, consistent load but that is the only time they do. I did find out that the Water Pump header cannot be used with a fan because it does run at 100 % all the time, or at least not with a high speed fan. Which header I you using for the fans? Do you have 4 pin splitter to ruse both fans off of one header?

Not sure how much this really helps but, I figured I would share it just in case.

So are you pleased with the systems or do you wish you would have went x370? Do you feel any difference between the two?

That's the board I have been waiting for but my local Microcenter is still out of stock. I clicked like but I'll be honest...I am bitter and jealous. :D

Please let us know what you think of the Taichi!

Only had a chance to swap boards in my main rig last night. As expected, the Taichi and Fatality Professional are practically identical. Windows didn't even burp like it usually does when a board swap has taken place.

Only differences to note are:
black/red vs black/white
SB Cinema 3 madness vs Purity Sound (which does DTS over optical)
2 NICs (one of which is 5Gb) vs a single Intel.

All I had time to do was update the UEFI to the latest beta and uninstall the Sound Blaster Cinema stuff. Undecided on whether to just keep the Fatality or downgrade to a B350, since my second rig is more of a workhorse than the main.

RyZen 1700x, ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero bios 1001
Memory - G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW (confirm to have Samsung B dims -> important for high clock speeds and fast settings for RyZen)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232407

Currently running Ram at 14-14-14-34 CR1 at 3200mhz, stock CPU speeds (3.5 all cores I am seeing - 3.9 single).

Running Aida 64 Stress test this as I type this for over 60min, music playing etc. -> no issues so far.

I have a Hyer 212 Evo that I am going to try out on my 1700 non X. (I had it already before I upgraded.) However, the mounting adapter uses the brackets that come with the motherboard and therefore, it would mean the heatsink and fans would point towards the top of the case and not the back.

Here is the question: Would you guys make the back fan on my Fractal Design Define r3 blow inward or leave it in the outward orientation. I already have 2 fans on the front blowing in and I will make the top fan blow upward.

Edit: Oh, and I have 2 fans on the 212 Evo in a push pull configuration.

Last edited:
Snapshot of ram testing and ram information. Over two hours now stress testing - looks good. Will play some games and if everything works out I will start OCing. Once I am sure system is stable at stock settings.

MemTesting.jpg

As a note: For those who own ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero boards, it is vital to update your bios to 902 or later, prior bios automatically when OCing ram puts the CPUsoc voltage too high causing the controller on the board to fail - known as a Brick board - JayZ and others have experience this. Even if it is currently working now it may not next boot.

Last edited:
I'm ready to return this Ryzen stuff and just buy a 7700k, I'm so goddamn sick of the fans being at full speed while web browsing. What the hell is wrong with this stuff.

I'm ready to return this Ryzen stuff and just buy a 7700k, I'm so goddamn sick of the fans being at full speed while web browsing. What the hell is wrong with this stuff.
I don't have any issues with fan noise, but I'm also using a water cooler so that probably helps.

Back