Which cooler?

• Founder's edition (push-pull setup)

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • AIB (triple-fan, etc.)

Votes: 36 36.4%
  • Other (water cooling, etc.)

Votes: 24 24.2%

• Total voters
Im pretty sure that was the case with Pascal and the first 6 months or so of Turing. They stopped doing this in may 2019. The FE was great for mild OC out of the box with a water block but on air no way. FEs never out clocked XOC cards. FEs never had the power delivery to push the clocks that far.

So If I wanted to go for a REALLY good overclocker and slap a block on it, a Tier 1 Halo card is the ONLY thing better than a FE?

So If I wanted to go for a REALLY good overclocker and slap a block on it, a Tier 1 Halo card is the ONLY thing better than a FE?
That used to be the case yes.

If your asking about with Ampere i think the best option for you is a FTW3 Hydro Copper unless you really like to tinker and OC then id say get a XOC card. The power deliver on FE cards this round looks like its going to be weak due to real estate.

Definitely eye-balling the EVGA Hybrid until others announce AIO water-cooled cards. I've been rocking a Gigabyte water-cooled 1080 for 4 years and it really stays cool and quiet, so I'm sold on the AIO water.

2080 Super was my first FE card, and the build quality impressed me far beyond any of the AIB cards I've had in the past.

3080 FE is my plan, and eventually slap a waterblock on it.

Don't wait to slap it.

If you can keep those chips nice and cold from day 1, and never allow them to go above 70C or so, I bet the longetivity of that card could be tremendously higher than if it hits 80C+ even once.
It also depends on how long you plan to keep it. For me, a build lasts about ten years, so a high-end 2nd gen RTX card like this would basically become my most cherished friend for at least 5 or 6 years, and then get sold used and in perfect working condition, without a single heat-related defect occuring.

Don't even run the card a single time before your cooling solution is already in your hands. Unless you figure that heat-related chip degradation isn't a big deal. =p

normally I got evga for the warranty but I'm not in love with their design this time. I may go FE.

At this point I just might try my luck on a 3080FE. It's my favorite cooler design so far. Chances are I won't be able to snag one anyways, and with the pandemic and the way supplies should go for the forseeable future, it should be relatively easy to sell it and game on it for cheap (or even profit) until the 3080Ti. Or not think about it by the time it rolls out.
Either way, really.

I've had the best luck with overclocking and quality board components on the FE.

I am sure the FE cooler will work great, but there is no going around the fact that the heat removed will degrade performance of all the other components on the motherboard. A nice AIO akin to the 295x2 seems the best solution.

Older closed off case design affects airflow and performance.

I had to pull the solid front panel off my case to lower case ran rpm and component temps.

Cpu temps will climb 5c+, saturate longer, and be slower for fans to cool when the face is on.

Keep intake air moving and the build will be fine.

If we notice the FE cooler just maintaining 85c with full fan ramp then I'll go buy an updated kraken bracket or EVGA hybrid cooler. They usually fit FE cards.

Last edited:
Don't wait to slap it.

If you can keep those chips nice and cold from day 1, and never allow them to go above 70C or so, I bet the longetivity of that card could be tremendously higher than if it hits 80C+ even once.
It also depends on how long you plan to keep it. For me, a build lasts about ten years, so a high-end 2nd gen RTX card like this would basically become my most cherished friend for at least 5 or 6 years, and then get sold used and in perfect working condition, without a single heat-related defect occuring.

Don't even run the card a single time before your cooling solution is already in your hands. Unless you figure that heat-related chip degradation isn't a big deal. =p

I may have to waterblock it for it to even fit in my NCASE. Have there been any tests done on GPU heat degredation?

It is big, but it should really fit most cases.

I checked the NR400 mATX mini tower and it can hold a 345mm GPU.

Then I checked the new Masterbox NR200P ITX SFF case can hold a Triple slot GPU up to 330mm.

The thing to avoid is probably the ultra small sandwich SFF cases, since the second fan would be blowing into a wall.

I may have to waterblock it for it to even fit in my NCASE. Have there been any tests done on GPU heat degredation?

It probably doesn't make much real world difference, but it might break down a transistor or two.
For me, it's more about personal preference. If I'm going to spend the money anyways, I might as well do it immediately so I can begin getting the benefits right away.
If heat over a certain temp does slightly degrade a chip, it'll probably be more of a "all transistors that can't take 80C die, but only those ones, and no others ever die after that."

Like a limited scope of evolution, where once it's done, it's done and no others fail from heat after. But if it's never done, then you might get that slightly better long-term performance.

Who knows, but if you plan to watercool anyways, then why not benefit from the beginning?

It will be interesting to see what the AIBs are doing to cool the RAM on the back of the 3090. I mean if it ends up just being a backplate you might wonder how that might affect performance in the long run compared to the FE which has a fan on the backside.

It is big, but it should really fit most cases.

I checked the NR400 mATX mini tower and it can hold a 345mm GPU.

Then I checked the new Masterbox NR200P ITX SFF case can hold a Triple slot GPU up to 330mm.

The thing to avoid is probably the ultra small sandwich SFF cases, since the second fan would be blowing into a wall.

Considering moving from Nano S to NR200 so thanks for the spared search.

Just wait, they will have direct vent case windows with a shroud to exhaust the FE fan.

Only half kidding.

Just wait, they will have direct vent case windows with a shroud to exhaust the FE fan.

Only half kidding.
Easy fix for a modder of even moderate skills, not a bad idea at all :)

It seems to me if you are venting exhaust out the top, that might be the ideal situation for this. See if you can pull the hot air out the top before it makes it to the CPU at all.

So far none of the AIB cards look appealing to me and I think the FE design is a lot more thought out. If I end up getting an Ampere card it’s likely going to be an nvidia FE one. Of course I’ll just slap a water block on it but the compact pcb is nice. I wonder if the AIB are using custom pcb or reference?

I've had good luck with EVGA's hybrid watercooled cards, so I'll go with one for the 3080 or 90.

So far none of the AIB cards look appealing to me and I think the FE design is a lot more thought out. If I end up getting an Ampere card it’s likely going to be an nvidia FE one. Of course I’ll just slap a water block on it but the compact pcb is nice. I wonder if the AIB are using custom pcb or reference?
All AIB are custom. This generation Reference will mean nvidia version and then the rest are custom.

Edit: This is wrong. Reference will be only with AIB. Nvidia cards are considered to be custom.
Not sure what it is for all vendors but for EVGA the XC3 cards are reference.

Last edited:
It's weird this time bro. AIBs are using the reference design, Nvidia is not.

I am playing on 2080 Ti actually CONTROL with RAYTRACING HIGH and DLSS 2.0 ( 960P ) and its super smooth,gorgeous. I wonder how many fps will be have on rtx 3090 on 1440P without DLSS,heh.

I'll go for a 3090 that's about the size of my current 2080Ti since anything bigger than that might be a tight fit in my case unless i remove a radiator. Trying not to though. Is there any word on whether any of the 3090's AIB's will be around the 2080Ti size? (Seen a few that might be but you never know (y))

I'll go for a 3090 that's about the size of my current 2080Ti since anything bigger than that might be a tight fit in my case unless i remove a radiator. Trying not to though. Is there any word on whether any of the 3090's AIB's will be around the 2080Ti size? (Seen a few that might be but you never know (y))
yeah nice

I've had good luck with EVGA's hybrid watercooled cards, so I'll go with one for the 3080 or 90.
I definitely want one of these. I'll be case hunting too, for something that can handle a decent CPU AIO for the eventual 12- or 16-core Zen 3 upgrade with a 280mm or 360mm AIO.

I'm leaning towards EVGA FTW3 due to 10 year extended warranty, but I'm thinking of going towards the FE due to silicon lottery and price as I will be using a waterblock. FE at 1499+200 for a block would be easier to swallow over an EVGA which may start anywhere from 1599 to 1799+200 for a block.

The 3090 will be my 10 year card, right ahead of my EVGA 980ti hybrid, which I am currently using as my backup card.

Also depends when these waterblocks will be available. In all honesty, If there is a block on day 1 for any of the EVGA gpus or FE gpu, that will be my 100% go to.

I'm getting two EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 in September.

tenor[1].gif

Back