RIP Newegg, you weren't good lately anyway

I just got the notice that effective today Newegg is collecting sales tax in PA. The great internet sales tax loophole is closing quickly.

I just got the notice that effective today Newegg is collecting sales tax in PA. The great internet sales tax loophole is closing quickly.

You had to pay it no matter what at the end of the year. If you didnt pay it and got audited you would get bent over.

It's a personal choice if you take that risk or not.

I stopped paying the Use Tax when Amazon started charging state tax since the Use Tax is calculated at 4% and Amazon charges me 8%. Stealing income is like a crack habit for the government. People are forgetting that we dumped tea into a harbor in protest over much lower taxation. I'm beginning to wonder whether the price of freedom is worth the highest tax rate in the world.

I stopped paying the Use Tax when Amazon started charging state tax since the Use Tax is calculated at 4% and Amazon charges me 8%. Stealing income is like a crack habit for the government. People are forgetting that we dumped tea into a harbor in protest over much lower taxation. I'm beginning to wonder whether the price of freedom is worth the highest tax rate in the world.

4% -> 8%
"Highest Tax rate in the world"...

IDK about your income tax, but USA goods and sales taxes are pretty darn cheap in comparison to the "world".
You guys don't even break 2 digits on average amongst your states.
You guys don't even have a federal G&S tax.

4% -> 8%

IDK about your income tax, but USA goods and sales taxes are pretty darn cheap in comparison to the "world".

I dunno, minimum 18% of everything I make (last year's tax return) ends up going to federal and state. That's before I buy stuff like food, gasoline, electricity, or internets. I don't know where the break double digits come into play, I live in one of the lowest taxed states in the US, according to various sources.

4% -> 8%

I wish it were only about sales tax. :(

Here is what is stolen from my wages before I even see it... 20% Federal Income Tax ( or more depending on hours worked ), 6.2% Social Secuity Tax, 1.45 Medicare Tax, 5% State Income Tax.

What is left is taxed again whenever I spend it... whether it is property tax, hidden taxes ( cost of goods and services to cover business taxes ), or sales tax, which is another 5% for State, 4.5% for County, and 1% for City... 10.5%.

The voluntary Use Tax that is supposed to be reported in the income tax form is just the nominal State Income Tax... 4%.

There's a saying here... When you work overtime, you aren't working for yourself, you're working for Uncle Sam.

I make over 7 Desks with a very modest 0.06 Desk/month mortgage and econo-box car payment and have little else to my name, other than my IRA and 401k. I am contributing 15% of pre-tax to it because my employer gives me another 12% on top of that.

Last edited:

Here is what is stolen from my wages before I even see it... 20% Federal Income Tax ( or more depending on hours worked ), 6.2% Social Secuity Tax, 1.45 Medicare Tax, 5% State Income Tax.

What is left is taxed again whenever I spend it... whether it is property tax, hidden taxes ( cost of goods and services to cover business taxes ), or sales tax, which is another 5% for State, 4.5% for County, and 1% for City... 10.5%.

The voluntary Use Tax that is supposed to be reported in the income tax form is just the nominal State Income Tax... 4%.

There's a saying here... When you work overtime, you aren't working for yourself, you're working for Uncle Sam.

You still make more per an hour than you normally would when you work OT, assuming it's at least 1.5x OT.

I make over 7 Desks with a very modest 0.06 Desk/month mortgage and econo-box car payment and have little else to my name, other than my IRA and 401k. I am contributing 15% of pre-tax to it because my employer gives me another 12% on top of that.

Desks?

Ok. Here's my question: given the current state of Newegg would you guys recommend not buying from them? I've always liked Newegg a lot, but things change, of course. What other sites are good for ordering tech stuff? Of course, Amazon.

Ok. Here's my question: given the current state of Newegg would you guys recommend not buying from them? I've always liked Newegg a lot, but things change, of course. What other sites are good for ordering tech stuff? Of course, Amazon.

It comes down to price. I've never had a problem buying from Newegg, and I've never had a problem buying from Amazon. I'll likely still buy from Newegg because if it ships from the NJ warehouse I have it almost next day. But if the price is better at Amazon, I'll buy from them.

Saw this flaming hot "newegg flash deal" for a refurb piece of shit Dell optical mouse for $15! Normally $50, so 68% off! WOW!

Screenshot 2018-01-08 at 9.16.14 AM.png

Who comes up with this shit?

Last edited:
It is typically as much or cheaper then Amazon normally. NE search is a lot better too to find what you want. With Amazon charging tax where I live it is always cheaper to buy from NE. Shipping is a couple dollars normally and at worst it takes 3 days to get my order if it is coming from California. That is using their cheapest shipping option.

Tax free is a good reason to use them I don't think they changed much of anything they added more support Chats for products during business hours.

I chated with EVGA on New Egg trying to get my G3 power supply to work and what they told me got it to work simple as unplugging a 24 pin power cable and plugging it back in.

Changed address, set to primary, ordered a device with expedited shipping, newegg shipped to the old address. Fucking bullshit
Yea Newegg shipping sucks i ordered stuff on a Wednesday morning and it didn't shipout to Monday. Amazon spoils you lol

the only reason I'm still using Newegg is because they ship to the FedEx office store that is down the street from my house. Keeps the heathens from stealing my packages.

Newegg's HQ is in my town, and their hybrid will-call center is pretty bad ass. If I don't want to make the trek out to Frys or Microcenter, chances are Newegg has relatively competitive prices and same-day will-call.

Yea Newegg shipping sucks i ordered stuff on a Wednesday morning and it didn't shipout to Monday. Amazon spoils you lol
I never had NE not ship out by next day. If I order early enough it gets shipped same day.

never had much luck with them anyways, they we crap for Canada. slow, expensive.... NC IX was great but they have went belly up, Memoryexpress was their competitor here and seems to have inherited alot of the sales staff too, been good so far

Newegg's HQ is in my town, and their hybrid will-call center is pretty bad ass. If I don't want to make the trek out to Frys or Microcenter, chances are Newegg has relatively competitive prices and same-day will-call.

Same. Their NJ warehouse is about 20 minutes from me. It's a PITA when you need to return something though, and you have to send it back to Cali instead of just dropping it off.

Newegg sends it to the wrong address and now they are telling me I need to have someone go out there and get the package and ship it back to them. Look I dont know anyone in that area anymore... And this isn't my fucking fault. I am canceling my newegg account after this stupid order and switching to AWS or Micro Center Exclusively. This is beyond insane. Why have a "set default shipping address" option if it doesnt work.

I still do 99% of my pc parts buying from NewEgg because they accept PayPal (where my play money is). Fry's/Amazon/MicroCenter don't...
That really limits my shopping options

Newegg used to be my primary source for purchasing computer parts since I didn't have to pay the insane 10.5% sales tax, but rather just the ~6.5% sales tax that Illinois collects during tax time on these types of purchases. However, recently I enrolled in an Amazon credit card which gives me 5% cash back on all purchases which makes the purchase even cheaper despite paying sales tax - so that is my new go to. But I've never had any problems with Newegg's services in the 10+ years that I've used them.

At least you guys can shop on Newegg. I'm going for a trip on US on August and if their system smells a international credit card, it's most likely the order will be "voided". That doesn't happen on any other stores on Internet. Just Newegg.

If you don't claim it, and TX does an audit on you (And many states are now requesting sales records), prepare to get bent over.

I use Newegg 80% of the time since they don't charge sales tax to TX (Amazon does).

Another nail in the coffin - they've closed two Will Call locations in Indiana and New Jersey. The California location is going to close real soon. I used to live 10 minutes away from one and it was really convenient to pick up a bulky stuff like a monitor or a computer case there. Not anymore. Hopefully Amazon would do the opposite and open a pick up location nearby, it seems like they've built a bunch of warehouses around.

Back