RIP Newegg, you weren't good lately anyway

Discussion in '[H]ot Deals Discussions' started by ashmelev75, Oct 14, 2016.

1. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy 2[H]4U

And I guess you like orange rims too!! :p

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Newegg has a great website but their prices haven't generally been competitive with Amazon or other sites for quite some time. As a result I haven't bought anything from them in years.

3. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy 2[H]4U

I just ordered and received a USB 3 hard drive dock with offline cloning for 26 bucks last week from them with free shipping.

I will still use them I guess until I get screwed which hasn't happened yet for about 13 years maybe. I have a poor memory and I cant remember why.

4. aztekk

aztekk Limp Gawd

Who cares who owns the company? Chinese investors aren't stupid enough to make changes that will drive away customers.

5. broddy

broddy Limp Gawd

^ this! Since 2012 I have been buying from amazon. I just switched back to newegg because of tax and their exclusive offers here and there. Newegg's price is about the same as amazon. I spent about $1100 worth of stuff this year. I would have to pay $82.5 in tax if I went thru amazon. Newegg also has offer with $25 dollars statement credit with amex for purchase over $200. I have 3 cards so it saved me additional $75.

In my case...ordering thru newegg, total cost is $1025, amazon would be $1182.5. Newegg it is. Plus I dont want to see newegg gone...we had such a good history. never had a single problem with newegg RMA or shipping.

6. the_servicer

the_servicer [H]ard|Gawd

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but how likely is it that typical PC parts from Newegg will be fake or gray-market, etc? I know they were selling fake Intel processors years ago (at least according to Wikipedia).

7. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

Using PCHound shows newegg has best price for 80% of my next computer desired parts. And Amazon isn't exactly reliable on what sellers will still be around 6 months from now. I wouldn't mind buying clothing on Amazon which I can return 48hours after opening. Computer parts which might break 6months or 9months later... I want a real store.

8. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Was it actually items sold "by Newegg"? They have a Marketplace now with 3rd party sellers, so that might be part of the issue.

9. JHefile

JHefile Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard

Who would have thought? A Chinese owned company selling computer parts all made in China! Makes sense to me.

I tell you what though, I don't like their site anymore. I liked it when parts sold were from newegg only. Now you have all kinds of companies trying to slip in there and highball you or parts ship from the other side of the world.

Flogger23m likes this.
  10. jkw

jkw Limp Gawd

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  11. SvenBent

SvenBent Gawd

What a better place to buy online? i ussualy just check newegg or amazon. i used to check tigerdirect but they always came up more expensive