Red Dead Redemption 2

***Spoiler Alert*** Dang dude, I'm only 10 hours in and you drop this bomb on me?

This is not the first time it was mentioned in this thread. :) And do not worry, it will have no effect on how you play the game, other than it will make it even more personal. :) Enjoy the game and you have a long way to go.

Edit: Oh, and it was not intentional, sorry about that. Oh, and Darth Vader is Lukes father, just thought you would like to know. :D ;)

Last edited:
Good thing I haven't had the hardware I want to play any of these games, all getting patched quite nicely for me. Looking forward to moving on from this shitty GPU cycle.

Very cool that they're adding this. There are a million settings to tinker with and there are lots of ways to dial-in performance, but there are also lots of exceptions. You'll think you have everything set to stay at 60fps...and then all of a sudden you'll hit an area that drops everything by 30% out of the blue. Kinda like GTA5, which runs at like 200fps until you drive into the shrubby area (between Los Santos and the desert) which drops down into the 30's.

Damn, the game still looks fantastic. My first playthrough was on a crappy $200 Samsung TV. Time for a new playthrough with RTX + 3090 + LG 65" OLED.

1626205430976.png

game is three years old, though, so.... 🤷‍♂️

DLSS update looks decent. wonder if theyll add FSR...

DLSS implementation is terrible on my end, the worst I've ever seen. Lots of other people saying the same thing on Reddit. There is all sorts of artifacting issues introduced when DLSS is enabled, mostly shimmering. Trees are by far the worst offender for me. When light passes through them, they look like a damn disco ball with DLSS enabled. Grass also has a weird effect where it seems to get brighter when I move the camera. Hair and animal fur also have really strange shimmering effects.

It gives a substantial performance boost and looks great standing still, but it took about 5 minutes of actually playing the game before I turned it back off. It was absolutely horrendous. Some folks are saying that using the DLSS DLL from Siege cleans up some of these issues. I may muck around with it some more later.

DLSS implementation is terrible on my end, the worst I've ever seen. Lots of other people saying the same thing on Reddit. There is all sorts of artifacting issues introduced when DLSS is enabled, mostly shimmering. Trees are by far the worst offender for me. When light passes through them, they look like a damn disco ball with DLSS enabled. Grass also has a weird effect where it seems to get brighter when I move the camera. Hair and animal fur also have really strange shimmering effects.

It gives a substantial performance boost and looks great standing still, but it took about 5 minutes of actually playing the game before I turned it back off. It was absolutely horrendous. Some folks are saying that using the DLSS DLL from Siege cleans up some of these issues. I may muck around with it some more later.

so RDR2 is not using DLSS 2.2?

so RDR2 is not using DLSS 2.2?

It is, but it's a different version that Siege. RDR2 is DLSS 2.2.10, Siege is 2.2.6. Rust also used 2.2.10 and while I don't play it I seem to recall some complaints about it too, where people were doing the same thing and swapping over the file from Siege.

If you're having this issue, turn off TAA Sharpening.

Went to jump back into the game to check out DLSS and for the second time I have lost my entire game progress thanks to the shitty Rockstar cloud. Same thing happened with GTA 5 last year and I said fuck it because I was not going to start it over.

Last edited:
Went to jump back into the game to check out DLSS and for the second time I have lost my entire game progress thanks to the shitty Rockstar cloud. Same thing happened with GTA 5 last year and I said fuck it because I was not going to start it over.
NEVER rely only on the cloud. Lesson learned.
My saves are made locally and backed up regularly. fyi

Capitale...capitale...caaapitaal-ayye. Oh, it costs capitale to start the big new train robbery mission. Don't have enough? 3 gold bars for 10 capitalee. Oh, someone disconnects, you have to quit or the mission fails to load? That capitale currency is lost. Sucker.

Looks like a new nvidia driver with improved RDR2 DLSS support, I wonder if it actually changed anything.

The mind-boggling work that went into Red Dead 2's incredibly lifelike horses

Rockstar started capturing footage of real horses in Scotland, with a video example showing how a real horse, for example, before turning would side-step and then lean into the turn...Lateral movement became a key part of the horse design from that point, a movement essential for light turning, and, Kleanthous added, one of the most difficult features to get right...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-mind-bo...-into-red-dead-2s-incredibly-lifelike-horses/

The mind-boggling work that went into Red Dead 2's incredibly lifelike horses

Rockstar started capturing footage of real horses in Scotland, with a video example showing how a real horse, for example, before turning would side-step and then lean into the turn...Lateral movement became a key part of the horse design from that point, a movement essential for light turning, and, Kleanthous added, one of the most difficult features to get right...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-mind-bo...-into-red-dead-2s-incredibly-lifelike-horses/
1627401230313.png

Interesting, DLSS support? Didn't know that. Not sure if my 1060 supports, guess i gotta look.

Sooo contemplating if I go ahead with my 4th play-through of one of the greatest games of all time? I was hearing that a PS5 possible update (which may give PC more features?), but i don't see that coming anytime soon. No other PC game is interesting me right now, so might as well with the 4th.

Interesting, DLSS support? Didn't know that. Not sure if my 1060 supports, guess i gotta look.

Sooo contemplating if I go ahead with my 4th play-through of one of the greatest games of all time? I was hearing that a PS5 possible update (which may give PC more features?), but i don't see that coming anytime soon. No other PC game is interesting me right now, so might as well with the 4th.

Your 1060 doesn't support DLSS. Requires an RTX card.

Nothing has been announced about a current gen console build. We're talking about R* here, so it's all but guarenteed, I just wouldn't expect work to even begin on it until they finish the GTA V re-release. I'd confidently say it's a year or more before RDR2 gets an update.

Yup, figured that out quite quickly, no DLSS on my aging 1060 :(

Went ahead and started the 4th play through!

Spoiler tags do exist, though, so... 🤷‍♂️
Make sure you get abducted by the aberdeen pig farm sister/brother fuckers right before Arthur's last mission, then go back to the house as Marston and get his money back by checking behind the portrait of the siblings' mother on the wall.

Make sure you get abducted by the aberdeen pig farm sister/brother fuckers right before Arthur's last mission, then go back to the house as Marston and get his money back by checking behind the portrait of the siblings' mother on the wall.
Ha, wow

I'm always impressed with the million little details

This game likes vram to start at 6Gb in 1080p at default for me .. got less then 2Gb left lol ..

RDR2 was gifted to me this morning; downloading now. Looking through guides as the goal is to get the good ending on first playthrough.

Hopefully my laptop with RTX 2060, 17 9750H, 64GB DDR4 2666 with a 2TB Gen 3 M.2 PCIe NVMe drive will work well at medium setting, 2560 x 1440 144Hz.

Back