Red Dead Redemption 2

RDR2 was gifted to me this morning; downloading now. Looking through guides as the goal is to get the good ending on first playthrough.

Hopefully my laptop with RTX 2060, 17 9750H, 64GB DDR4 2666 with a 2TB Gen 3 M.2 PCIe NVMe drive will work well at medium setting, 2560 x 1440 144Hz.

You'll run it just fine. They've patched the game several times since release and it runs much better than it did at release.

Congrats on the game, one of the best ever made.

I recommend playing on a controller too if you have one.

Graphics options to consider if you need to tweak for performance. From earlier in this thread, settings start at 14min, should be queued at that point:

RDR2 was gifted to me this morning; downloading now. Looking through guides as the goal is to get the good ending on first playthrough.

Hopefully my laptop with RTX 2060, 17 9750H, 64GB DDR4 2666 with a 2TB Gen 3 M.2 PCIe NVMe drive will work well at medium setting, 2560 x 1440 144Hz.

Just play the game and don't spoil anything with guides.

Also turn down the volumetric settings for performance. You'll get a huge performance gain for very little visual loss. Also DLSS.

Story was great!! I may do it again. I do wish the online portion was better it fell very short of my expectations.

lol yeah right. You can literally no scope headshot with the controller without using dead eye. Quick left and right triggers, rinse and repeat and straight murk.
Ha, not that it matters much anyway, Arthur is nearly impossible to kill. You can tank SO MANY hits it's ridiculous. Honestly they could probably easily halve your health and it would still be an easy game.

If you loot people you kill, you're perpetually loaded with every item under the sun.

You can probably absorb over 100 shots and make it out alive if you burn through all your health items.

Ha, not that it matters much anyway, Arthur is nearly impossible to kill. You can tank SO MANY hits it's ridiculous. Honestly they could probably easily halve your health and it would still be an easy game.

If you loot people you kill, you're perpetually loaded with every item under the sun.

You can probably absorb over 100 shots and make it out alive if you burn through all your health items.

Agreed on that. The instant heals is pretty god like.

Is it possible play this game while ignoring all the missions? I was thinking of trying this as an open ended open world exploration game.

Is it possible play this game while ignoring all the missions? I was thinking of trying this as an open ended open world exploration game.

Well, you can play it that way but, I am not sure how that would work. I cannot imagine trying to find your way off of that mountain without first completing some of the missions at that point.

I believe towns and many things wouldn't be available though.
St Denis and many other towns would have MAYBE a gun or food shop open, but that's about it.
Access to certain guns would be locked. He wouldn't have access to the fence, and the rest of the special vendors either.
Theaters, butcher shops, horse stalls and train stations would be closed or unseen on the map. Certain clothes and accessory upgrades would be inaccessible.
Bounty missions and an abundance of side quests(like treasure hunting) wouldn't be available either.

The world would become boring pretty fast IMHO.

But yes, once he gets off the mountain he could then travel to anywhere. If anything, he could complete the discovery portion of the game (animals skinned and seen, places visited, herbs picked, etc).

Last edited:
ok approximately how many hours of story missions would be necessary to complete before being able to effectively it as an open world game?

I finished this game last night and freaking loved it. A few thoughts:
  • I mostly ignored the side-quests because the main quests were so engrossing and I just wanted to see how it all played out. I know I’m leaving a lot of content on the table. I’m going to hit them in my next playthrough.
  • The story isn’t exactly profound or new, it’s just presented and put together in such a great way that it hooks you. The acting and dialogue are pretty damn great and you become emotionally invested in many of the characters.
  • The game world is gorgeous and feels alive, which I think everybody pretty much knows at this point.
  • I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the epilogues. Potential spoiler, maybe not, but to be considerate: I could play an entire game as John Marston. I know he’s the protagonist in RDR1 but I’m not a console gamer so I haven’t played it. I really enjoyed his storyline in the epilogues.
  • I bought the game at launch on PC and played through about 15-20% of the story and then stopped playing. The era isn’t exactly my passion and the controls/gunplay are pretty horrendous. I picked it back up last month and I’m glad I did. It would be a shame to miss this game based on those faults, it more than makes up for them.
I’m in a bit of a gaming rut at the moment so I came back to this glorious masterpiece. Almost a year to the day since I finished it for the first time and I’m excited to complete it the second time. Feels good to be back in this world and hearing Arthur’s voice and great dialogue.

I’m in a bit of a gaming rut at the moment so I came back to this glorious masterpiece. Almost a year to the day since I finished it for the first time and I’m excited to complete it the second time. Feels good to be back in this world and hearing Arthur’s voice and great dialogue.

I'm hoping to a remake of RDR1 personally.

I recall reading Rockstar Launcher is shutting down soon and they'd let us migrate all our games directly onto Steam..

*been planning to replay this but told myself I'd wait till after this happened etc
I haven't seen anything about that. Have a link?

It's true, but I don't have a link offhand and am on mobile. Just Google "Rockstar launcher steam transition".

EDIT: I was thinking of the Bethesda launcher. My mistake, sorry.

Last edited:

Yes please, have a link? I bought the Steam version of the RDR2 so I could play it in Linux, although I already owned the Rockstar Store version. Now I have a play it on steam button when I log into the Rockstar Launcher so if they are going to shut down the Rockstar Launcher, I am going to see if I can get a refund of one of the versions I own.

Also, I own LA Noire and Max Payne 3 so, no way do I want to lose those games.

It's true, but I don't have a link offhand and am on mobile. Just Google "Rockstar launcher steam transition".

You may be right but, I googled it and came up completely empty. Also, even the Steam version of RDR2 still requires the Launcher, at least at this time.

I recall reading Rockstar Launcher is shutting down soon and they'd let us migrate all our games directly onto Steam..

*been planning to replay this but told myself I'd wait till after this happened etc

Maybe I missed something, but I believe you're thinking of Bethesda. The Bethesda dot net launcher is being shutdown and migrating onto Steam; great news, but its not Rockstar.

This is brilliant. Hands down the best encapsulation of the essence of this game that probably exists. Guy spent hundreds of hours with cinematic mods capturing and editing this into roughly perfection.

Last edited:
Trying to knock out the hunter challenge before finishing the last four missions. Figured I owed it to the old boy to before it wraps up.

So far hunting cougars with dynamite arrows has been amusing but time consuming.

I'm half tempted to replay RDR2 again myself, too. I never cared the gameplay, but (like with other Rockstar titles) the game world is unmatched. Their ability to infuse life and personality into a game is second to none.

I'm half tempted to replay RDR2 again myself, too. I never cared the gameplay, but (like with other Rockstar titles) the game world is unmatched. Their ability to infuse life and personality into a game is second to none.
for real, the immersion blows anything else out of the water.

Back