Red Dead Redemption 2

Ranulfo

2[H]4U
Yes and the previous, 20.7.2. I was thinking it was the 1604 error at the end of install process that I keep getting when installing the drivers, the May WHQL ones, 20.7.2 and 20.8.1. Yet, the drivers seem to install okay and after reboot the software shows up in sys tray and all games seem to run fine besides RDR2.

Given all the issues Rockstar is having with the new patch, I'm thinking it is RDR2 Online that is freezing the game for me randomly. At least I can end task the game and restart it quick enough.

Well, running DDU and not the AMD driver cleaner got rid of the 1604 errors. RDR2 online still randomly crashes its just more stable though. 15minutes on a fresh load then it ran 90mins just fine. Switched to the May drivers 20.4.2 and it seems more stable but not much as I still have freezes randomly.

Anyone had issues with the latest patch randomly crashing the game on amd cards? Latest patch wanted newer 2020 drivers and now my game rando crashes every 15-45mins.
I can't even get past the main menu ever since the update was released two weeks ago, and Rockstar Support has been completely useless in doing anything to fix the problem.

Ranulfo

2[H]4U
I can't even get past the main menu ever since the update was released two weeks ago, and Rockstar Support has been completely useless in doing anything to fix the problem.

Yeah, its been bad for many from what I've been reading. I swapped to the newest Aug1 drivers again and after the latest small patch yesterday it was running better in the sense that I didn't have a random crash/freeze in 30 minutes. I also noticed that the game was using about 500mb less video ram than it had been on the weekend. That said, PC version Online was mostly horrid last night. Horses were useless and wouldn't move properly, spazzing out and animal spawns seemed broken again.

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Is this game as good as GTA V? I am towards the end of GTA V on PC with everything maxed (never really got into it when it launched) and that game is mind blowing. Is this basically GTA in a western setting?

socK

2[H]4U
It's _waaaaayyyyy_ slower paced, but yes, the story is excellent. It's a much more serious affair than GTA, to the point where it's even a little clunky.

Also it's long as fuck. I think it took me like 80 hours to complete the main story with ample fucking around. And that was with my absolutely blitzing story missions near the end for hours straight.

Last edited:

Comixbooks

[H]F Junkie
Is this game as good as GTA V? I am towards the end of GTA V on PC with everything maxed (never really got into it when it launched) and that game is mind blowing. Is this basically GTA in a western setting?

Uninstaller figured it wasn't worth my time.

Last edited:

Aireoth

Supreme [H]ardness

No, it is technically similar, but much more ponderous. It is a western, it is pretty, it is slower paced, robbing trains and banks is a lot of fun.

Domingo

Fully [H]
The first Red Dead game was closer to GTA. This one deviates a lot more. I'd say it's kinda like GTA crossed with an open-world RPG. It has a lot more focus on progression and inventory. It's also a lot more narrative-focused and is looooong. GTA4 and especially San Andreas were quite a bit longer than GTA5. RDR2 puts all 3 to shame in terms of length and scope.

termite

Supreme [H]ardness
If you get side tracked doing hunting and side quests/heists/robberies etc it is crazy long.

I have about 80 hours and haven't gotten through chapter 3 yet.

Ranulfo

2[H]4U
Well, still no fix for me. Online runs better with their latest rollback a few days ago but I'm still randomly crashing in online, every 30-60 minutes no matter what I'm doing.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Red Dead Redemption 2 Update 1.23

Update 1.23 introduces a few general stability and security fixes as well as some connection issues fixes and some PC-specific fixes...full update notes below...
  • General stability and security fixes
  • Fixed a number of connection issues
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in players being able to buy the Horned Variant Bow with Gold despite already owning it
  • Also fixed an issue that resulted in players being unable to enter Single Player or Multiplayer gameplay after a crash on PC
  • Fixed an issue that resulted in abrupt changes to the time of day on PC

Nenu

[H]ardened
I just updated and get:
"Red Dead Redemption 2 has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."

Tried twice, same.

It was working about a month ago, this is the first time I've touched it since.
Nice one Rockstar.

Ranulfo

2[H]4U
Ouch. It's actually gotten better for me. I managed an hour session with no game freeze at all before logging out and then later a 2 hour session that had me crash/freeze just after a world event ended. Didn't help had some hacker running around nearby.

Ranulfo

2[H]4U
Still getting crashes, totally randomly. Game may work for 2 hours and then I freeze twice in a hour.

Ricky T

Limp Gawd
Well I just got screwed by Rockstar today after installing the game on a new setup as there were no cloud saves even though I had them enabled. And last year all of my saves disappeared on my Steam version of GTA 5 when Rockstar had an update.

ng4ever

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know if the zombie addon or whatever you want to call it is coming to the PC ?

Canon

2[H]4U
I have finished the main story line and I'm on the Epilogue now.

I have really enjoyed this game. As others have said, it is a huge game with a lot of content. Very worthwhile single player experience at the very least.

I haven't played any of the online stuff, doesn't particularly interest me. Maybe I'll give it a go someday...

I see a lot of discussion about stability issues in this thread. When this game first released on PC, I had a couple of crashing issues, but that was short-lived. I can't remember the last time I saw a crash.

I run in DX12 mode 4k HDR with the Nvidia recommended settings with GeForce experience. I'm not sure if that helps anyone, maybe try that and see if it helps with the stability issues. It is also possible that people are discussing the Online mode and perhaps that has stability issues compared to the single player mode, I don't know since I haven't really played that...

I hear people complain about the game feeling clunky but honestly, on foot, it doesn't feel significantly different than GTA, riding a horse... I would say you should expect that to feel clunky, the horse is literally taking commands from you and doing what you are asking, whereas a car is a machine that you directly control, of course the horse is going to feel clunky, haha.

Domingo

Fully [H]
Not sure when things changed, but I found that Vulkan kept getting better and it eventually started performing better than DX12 on my systems (both Nvidia). If one renderer or the other is giving you issues, you might try swapping to the other one.

-Strelok-

[H]F Junkie
Anyone have issues with some low resolution textures? I'm using the HWUB optimized settings and have textures on Ultra and running 4K with the slider set to output 1440P, sometimes the ground textures look like hot garbage.

termite

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone have issues with some low resolution textures? I'm using the HWUB optimized settings and have textures on Ultra and running 4K with the slider set to output 1440P, sometimes the ground textures look like hot garbage.

No, but I am running 1440p native.

I have seen a couple of textures, like rocks that are lower texture than expected, that are the same whenever they show up. Like the texture itself is low res, and it is not an issue of streaming, or LOD.

Now that I think of it, it always appears to be rocks/rock textures.