Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date
My ghetto mouse bungee is the pinnacle of things that kind of hold the mouse cord out of the way.

20180712_032949.jpg

My GPU bracket, however, is a marvel of technology and an example of engineering genius heretofore unknown to man.

20180720_140510.jpg

My Intel case uses a ribbon cable for the front panel connections, plugs right into an Intel Server/Workstation board but not into a consumer board.
I took off a front panel connector from a dead motherboard and soldered front panel connector wires that I took from a case years ago to make a conversion interface.
IMG_0862.JPG IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0863.JPG

My ghetto mouse bungee is the pinnacle of things that kind of hold the mouse cord out of the way.

View attachment 90428

My GPU bracket, however, is a marvel of technology and an example of engineering genius heretofore unknown to man.

View attachment 90427
Why bother making the GPU not sag if the solution is that ugly, though? Were you having actual problems with it pulling out of the connector on the motherboard?

My ex girlfriend moved out and left the bookcase that we built together. So I turned it in to a server/network rack. Not exactly the right spacing but will do. Not exactly done either, still need to do some cable management.

View attachment 118568
Not ghetto enough. Could be marketed as 'premium hardwood server rack' and appeal to people who want something to match their furniture.

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 AERO ITX has no zero fan mode, and minimum fan speed it allows me to set is 35%. All this is solvable with fan controller tied to the GPU temperature (like Speedfan).

But ordering and delivering a 2-pin GPU to 3-pin fan cable would take long time. Say hi to my ghetto mod - wiring 2-pin to 3-pin fan connector via jumper cables i had for my Raspberry Pi :):
HpaOWCt.png

What's a man to do when he needs to attach a ModMic to some headphones without a proper adhesive in the world? That's right, he hot glues the shit out of it.

20190216_182617.jpg

Bonus for the 3.5mm jack I installed. Instead of using bondo or some other filler to smooth out the old one, I piped in glorious hot glue and finished it off with electrical tape.

had to mount my h100i pro crooked as the new mobo heatsinks would not allow the fans to fit inside in the stock mounting location. Had tried mounting fans on top but without a guard it was not my favorite plan. place holder till i get a photo

Been awhile thought I'd post some stuff, first headphones

Phillips citiscape downtowns ownership 7 years

Replaced flat flex cable and internal left to right bridge wire
IMG_20140505_234910.jpg

Eventually the pads desintigrated and my replacement wire went bad as well so...

20190222_175445.jpg

And I have an old KOSS set and had a crappy platronics headset with microphone so this happend at the suggestion of a friend "Why don't you just rip the microphone off and glue it to your other headset." Had these for 19 years.

20190222_175420.jpg

Network equipment is never designed to last long enough, I get all my equipment from goodwill so it usually ends up there due to overheating.

Cable modem
IMG_20170915_102310.jpg

Wasn't happy with the way it looked...

IMG_20170917_172515.jpg

IMG_20170917_173746.jpg

ah that's better

After doing that didn't take any crap from my router, same procedure

20190222_175643.jpg

And some random stuff...

Drop panel mount for a projector, downside was that the wind outside would bounce the image up and down

IMG_20150605_222308.jpg

Had to find a way to mount some speakers in my Saquoia's factory mount... Bought some adaptors, decided that I didn't want to lose my mids so I glued/screwed this ring in, placed a foam pad(not pictured) to cover the holes and soldered the new speakers to the OEM wire harness.

IMG_20180519_154704.jpg

Fixed a bluetooth speaker. Only one speaker was attached electrically and I had to attach this red wire to the speaker post without removing the speaker. Solution, cut a bit of paperclip tin the ends and heat the whole thing up until the solder melted to the post. Had to hold the paperclip post whit a needle nose pliers.

IMG_20180804_180318.jpg

Replaced a 2 4400uf caps with 4 2200uf caps. Thats all I had on hand...

photo_1489340788907.jpg

photo_1489340774157.jpg

And just something I'm playing with right now

20190222_184603.jpg

I bet nobody has seen this in a while. I had to cut the end off my Zalman cooler mount to fit on the Abit NF7-S V2.0 CPU socket because the capacitors are in the way. :ROFLMAO:

Specs so far..
Gaudy 2001 silver case with vertical bubble lights on the front and blue UV tinted lexan windows (Kingwin maybe?)
Athlon XP 3000+
Abit NF7-S V2.0
MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (AGP 8X Ti 4800 dual DVI model)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum w/ front bay
8x DVD-ROM drive
1.44MB floppy drive
Crystalfontz 3.5" bay LCD
..just have to add my Corsair XMS Pro DDR-400 RAM, a Maxtor 80GB hard drive, and power supply.

lr38uK0h.jpg

h17b3u6h.jpg

I bet nobody has seen this in a while. I had to cut the end off my Zalman cooler mount to fit on the Abit NF7-S V2.0 CPU socket because the capacitors are in the way. :ROFLMAO:

Specs so far..
Gaudy 2001 silver case with vertical bubble lights on the front and blue UV tinted lexan windows (Kingwin maybe?)
Athlon XP 3000+
Abit NF7-S V2.0
MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (AGP 8X Ti 4800 dual DVI model)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum w/ front bay
8x DVD-ROM drive
1.44MB floppy drive
Crystalfontz 3.5" bay LCD
..just have to add my Corsair XMS Pro DDR-400 RAM, a Maxtor 80GB hard drive, and power supply.

View attachment 146807

View attachment 146808
That isn't really that ghetto... Just old

I'm a grown-ass man and I will bear no shame for decorating my case with stickers.

20190607_065128.jpg

Contains more ironic "fucks" than all your local independent coffee shops combined.

If you're going to have shit, it may as well be coordinated:

20190607_070720.jpg

Last edited:
I have improved the design.

cool.jpg

It's barely even ghetto now. There are no zip-ties.

Shorter screws, a beefier fan, that can actually keep the CPU from thermal throttling. I just ran cinebench 20 on it, with the fan not even spinning up to max RPM. Guess the extra pressure on the heatsink also helps with temps. It is on par if not better than Intel's bundled cooling solutions.

Reactions: viivo
like this
Needed to cram ATX X470 and Aorus RTX 2080 into an ITX case to save on some space soo....

EcWj4Lt.jpg

U2jezED.jpg

oAzz1B5.jpg

Hstk61J.jpg

240mm/20mm rad to go in with 14mm thick fans and then modders mesh to cover the side gaps, and maybe lego blocks to cover the top and bottom gaps :)

Ghetto-izing a backplate that doesn't fit flush with a cooler's mounting hardware.

20200327_035022.jpg

20200327_035050.jpg

*Use of the word "ghetto" by this poster is not intended to be derogatory but a euphemism for ingenuity and using materials at hand.

Last edited:
Bonus! Ghetto Support Arm™ ® ©.

20200327_072148.jpg

*Use of the word "ghetto" by this poster is not intended to be derogatory but a euphemism for ingenuity and using materials at hand.

Last edited:
No electrical tape, check.
No Scotch tape, check.
No exposed wire strands, check.
No cardboard box, check.
Neat and professional looking, check.

No Food Stamps, check!! Too neat.

This should be on its own thread as a how-to. :ROFLMAO:

I have been known to use bread ties to keep fan cables in place on a budget build or two.

Well, it's obvious you spent some money. If the support arm was made from a coat hook or an old Blow-Pop from last Halloween, you would score many Food Stamps

Well, it's obvious you spent some money. If the support arm was made from a coat hook or an old Blow-Pop from last Halloween, you would score many Food Stamps

The rod was part of a french press which broke, like all french presses. That's connected to a door handle plate on top of a piece from an old case. Nothing spent on that.

Hm, I do have a few old AMD CPUs I'd like to incorporate. Maybe I can make a better arm by gluing them together to contact more of the video card.

Last edited:
The rod was part of a french press which broke, like all french presses. That's connected to a door handle plate on top of a piece from an old case. Nothing spent on that.
Ok, then. 2 Food Stamps for the french press rod and door handle plate plus the tiny bit of electrical tape that serves no purpose but to get a .5 food stamp. :D

But seriously, good job on the fans.

Back