Post your "Ghetto Mod" pics

• Thread starter Deleted member 96510
  • Start date

wra18th

Supreme [H]ardness
The rod was part of a french press which broke, like all french presses. That's connected to a door handle plate on top of a piece from an old case. Nothing spent on that.
Ok, then. 2 Food Stamps for the french press rod and door handle plate plus the tiny bit of electrical tape that serves no purpose but to get a .5 food stamp. :D

But seriously, good job on the fans.

SticKx911

2[H]4U
Dead cell on an evoo laptop. Bought on ebay for $50. Couldn't find a replacement anywhere to my dismay. Bought an equivalent voltage battery on ebay (a $10 dell battery), soldered off and replaced the dead cell. Charged voltage isn't equal between the 2 yet, mostly due to one being over charged and the other not quite so. I’m still working out kinks, but it can survive an accidental unplug now at least.

Edit: It’s better lasting now that it’s gone through some short charge cycles. I’m probably going to continue to have some issues at least because the stock was a total of 38000 mwh and the dell is a 34000 set. So that means it’s 2000 less and that will probably mean unequal discharge. Windows sees less the the stock 38000 after a few shut downs on battery and an uninstall a few times. Still not throwing any errors which I kind of expected. Idk. For a laptop that's used for kids schooling at home, being able to survive the power plug slip up is worth the $10.

edit2: handful of cycles later and I'm able to make it through a tv show and still have time 89% and it still nut cutting off. woo!

Attachments

Last edited:

70 Polara

Limp Gawd
20200504_011336.jpg
Here's my recent ghetto cooling mod on my lowly Dell Optiplex. I have a single slot AMD R7 450 GPU that runs pretty warm due to it's lame tiny cooler, so I drilled some holes in the bottom of the case and mounted a Rosewill 120mm fan to the case with random hardware I found in my shed. Dropped GPU temps apx 10C while gaming, so mod worked and was worth doing lol.

Last edited:

jojo69

[H]F Junkie

Outlaw85

Gawd
Stole my pic from the Distributed Computing section.

Was running 2 PSUs with paper clips because I didn't have the adapter and the local shop didn't have a replacement PSU for the DOA they sold me. Did this so I could try running it ~50% until I got a good PSU.. Ended up breaking this one too when I tried loading it up with RAM. It wouldn't even complete a boot up before shutting down. The OS SSD and one of the PSUs eventually stopped working in "Dual Mode".. Shocker, it was a 300W and a 400W.
1590824348130.png

doubletake

Gawd
Stole my pic from the Distributed Computing section.

Was running 2 PSUs with paper clips because I didn't have the adapter and the local shop didn't have a replacement PSU for the DOA they sold me. Did this so I could try running it ~50% until I got a good PSU.. Ended up breaking this one too when I tried loading it up with RAM. It wouldn't even complete a boot up before shutting down. The OS SSD and one of the PSUs eventually stopped working in "Dual Mode".. Shocker, it was a 300W and a 400W.
View attachment 249172
Using aluminum extrusions = instant failure. This is too rich for this thread :U

Last edited:

l337*g0at

Gawd
It's the year of the nasty 2020.
I bought a used Dell 3008WFP for $80. Previous owner didn't know it could do 2650x1600 with DP. I did.

Few days in, it starts doing some lines on the screen flickering all over the place. Took it to garage, blew it out with compressor and strapped a USB fan to it.

image0.jpg

Issue resolved. It was most likely the dust, but the fan is also sucking hot air out of this space heater.