Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

Coming from a 480 @ 900 core 24/7 for almost a year straight, so your jump will obviously be smaller. Just like when the 5870's launched, it was marginally faster than the 285's... then drivers optimization kicked in over time. If I ran my 480 stock then the performance jump would've been bigger. Before my 480 i had a 470, and before that, 5870's in CFX. This card definitely slightly quicker than my 5870 and 470 sli setup. Best part is that my room is cooler lol. They're just not fun to OC.

Your jump will probably be when the next revision of these cards launch, like the "685" or something.

If you want to bench vs bench let me know, I think I got lucky since my card been did 8hrs of BF3 @ 1300/7000 so far. Vsync off.

Thanks for the info... I came from a 900mhz 480 to a 900mhz 580 and didn't really gain too much. I guess I'll sit this one out for now.

Wow, didn't realize that. Went ahead and submitted my score. :) Thanks.

So I set fan to max (85%) and ran left Heaven looping...

132% +155 +400 and card stayed at 73C auto throttling down to 1252@70C

Ordered highflow bracket, which hopefully helps. Kind of pointless to OC if it downclocks automatically at a temp its hard to keep under even with max fan

So I set fan to max (85%) and ran left Heaven looping...

132% +155 +400 and card stayed at 73C auto throttling down to 1252@70C

Ordered highflow bracket, which hopefully helps. Kind of pointless to OC if it downclocks automatically at a temp its hard to keep under even with max fan

The high flow did knock about 3C off of my temps.

They do look pretty slick. If you want to be super ghetto just take off the bracket entirely, lol.

Just hope you don't hit a hole size that makes it whistle.

Well you can always widen it... :p

Or just try to emulate the design of the actual high-flow bracket.

In any case it doesn't sound like a complex procedure.

I've got a water cooled 580 @ 900 core too... so just wondering about performance compared to a 680...

can you provide any more specifics?

I can provide this limited testing:

6010x1080 same test settings
4GHz 980X, X58 Rampage and EVGA 1.5GB SLi 580 SC vs EVGA 2GB SLi 680

Heaven 3.0: 580SC score 599
580 @ 900x2150 score 658 (-21.8% over 680 stock)
680 stock score 802 (+33.9% over SC)

Dirt 3 Benchmark: 580SC Avg: 63.37 Min: 54.18
580 @ 900x2150 Avg: 70.36 Min: 61.16 (-18% over 680 stock)
680 stock Avg: 83.01 Min: 68.86 (+31% over SC)

My overall is 22-35% across a few more games 580SC vs 680 stock. Haven't had the time to be serious about the 680 OC yet to see how it scales.

Broke 7000 in 3DMark11 Extreme with offsets at +180/+400.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3105114

I wonder how much I'd pick up by switching to an Ivy Bridge when they are released..

:cool:

Last edited:
Well you can always widen it... :p

Or just try to emulate the design of the actual high-flow bracket.

In any case it doesn't sound like a complex procedure.

Since they have that small screw that attaches to the back of the PCB up near the flanged part of the bracket, I was considering cutting off the bottom 90% of the bracket and just leave the part that screws to the PCB and the part that holds the card in the case (the flanged part at the top). That should help take the strss off the PCIe connector by supporting the card, but eliminate all the flow restriction.

I've got a water cooled 580 @ 900 core too... so just wondering about performance compared to a 680...

can you provide any more specifics?
Dirt 3
GTX 580 @ 900: avg 103, min 89
GTX 680 @ +50: avg 117, min 99

BF3
GTX 580 @ 900: avg 120ish
GTX 680 @ +50: avg 140ish

For me to bust out $500, I'm going to need more than 20%. I also didn't care for the frame variation in BF3 as it seems to be all over the place. Finally, the card is very loud in my very quiet system.

I have had the opposite experience. My room is notably cooler with two 680s versus two 580s, and my 680 maxes around 80C at 1.175v / 1312MHz. In games like ME3 I rarely see temps above 60-65C.

What clocks were you getting? Are you running an auto fan profile?
+50, +200, auto fan. Auto already shoots it up to 62% and it will hit 83C w/ a room temp of 24C. Above 50% is unacceptable for my purposes.

With those temps, I'm assuming you're maxing the fan speeds? What's your room temp?

My card runs far quieter than an overclocked GTX570 so something is off there.

That said these cards don't clock too well, thats for sure. I know that mine doesn't.
Here's my previous card:

14-162-073-Z07

And now you all know why this card isn't working out for me. :D

Yes, my card clocks @ +50 and that's it w/ auto fan. I'm sure it'll do better w/ more airflow, but that's not happening w/ that little bitty cooler.

I will wait for another generation. I'm plenty happy w/ reduced settings in BF3 for 120. I can see better w/ say...terrain decoration on low anyway. Textures and Terrain detail on Ultra, shadows on Medium, FXAA on medium, and I'm good. Dirt 3 already hits 120, albeit w/ HBAO on high instead of Ultra, but 680 couldn't do that either. Any other games like Batman or Crysis 2 still need more power to run it at preferred rates anyway. I'm not a fan of SLI, so I'll play the waiting game.

My gripe with those coolers is that they don't work well in sli. I like a well designed blower style cooler. I just wish that Nvidia had gone with a vapor chamber cooler like they did with GTX580 and 570.

Well I got a dud of an overclockers too it seems, I can only get +75 on the core without heaven crashing. Not terribly upset about it, as I dont usually OC my cards anyways. I'm really happy with the card still. It's sooo much cooler and quieter than my 6970's, which is a big reason I bought it. An hour of gaming with those 6970's and my office was like a sauna.

I'm having problems staying under 70C and its affecting my overclocks. My case is pretty cool, I run an FT02, so I believe it is just the card I got but it is still bothering me. My high flow bracket is in the mail, but I'm looking at other options.

Basically at 132% I hit 70-73C, and at 115% I hit 70-71C sometimes. I just need it a couple degrees cooler damnit!

Because of this, while I'm able to run 100/200, 100/500, 135/300, and a couple other profiles without crashing, I'm still hitting that 70C mark and its killing me.

+135 seems to be my cards max and I'm happy with +135 but not with the temps. Can any of you in similar ranges post your fan profiles and power targets so I can see where I should be at? This way I can try and maintain my OC's and stay under 70C as much as possible.

That sucks Boyiee. I used to own the case and would be pretty displeased with that as well. I can't see it being anything but the card and FWIW I saw someone over at the Evga forums having the same problem with an FT02. Maybe the 680 stock cooler is bad in that position like some of the aftermarket 480 coolers awhile ago.

I'm no expert but 70C under load is still okay right?

Over 70C throttles the card...

Edit: I'm not trying to start anything lol, but could the 680 possibly have no wick and therefore be bad in a rotated 90° orientation? As mentioned, you're the second person with an FT02 experiencing this...

Last edited:
That sucks Boyiee. I used to own the case and would be pretty displeased with that as well. I can't see it being anything but the card and FWIW I saw someone over at the Evga forums having the same problem with an FT02. Maybe the 680 stock cooler is bad in that position like some of the aftermarket 480 coolers awhile ago.

Over 70C throttles the card...

Edit: I'm not trying to start anything lol, but could the 680 possibly have no wick and therefore be bad in a rotated 90° orientation? As mentioned, you're the second person with an FT02 experiencing this...

It's making me want to do more than just use the high flow bracket that's already on the way. Now I'm looking at that cooler that's been posted in this and another thread. I refuse to give up this case, I've gone through so many air cases and this is by far the coolest and quietest and I love working in it. As long as I'm on air, this is what I'll be using. Although I've been wanting to go water for years just never had enough guidance on what to buy from scratch to do it right. My main gripe is noise, and even if I go water there will still be fan noise, I hate fan noise. Hence why I am in love with this case.

I'm probably moving to a 4gb model when they hit the market and selling my 2gb evga card anyway. Maybe I'll get luckier with one of those. Still, the cooler looks pleasing, and I'm willing to try it with the ft02.

I'm having problems staying under 70C and its affecting my overclocks. My case is pretty cool, I run an FT02, so I believe it is just the card I got but it is still bothering me. My high flow bracket is in the mail, but I'm looking at other options.

Basically at 132% I hit 70-73C, and at 115% I hit 70-71C sometimes. I just need it a couple degrees cooler damnit!

Because of this, while I'm able to run 100/200, 100/500, 135/300, and a couple other profiles without crashing, I'm still hitting that 70C mark and its killing me.

+135 seems to be my cards max and I'm happy with +135 but not with the temps. Can any of you in similar ranges post your fan profiles and power targets so I can see where I should be at? This way I can try and maintain my OC's and stay under 70C as much as possible.

posted the exact same results earlier in the thread

It's making me want to do more than just use the high flow bracket that's already on the way. Now I'm looking at that cooler that's been posted in this and another thread. I refuse to give up this case, I've gone through so many air cases and this is by far the coolest and quietest and I love working in it. As long as I'm on air, this is what I'll be using. Although I've been wanting to go water for years just never had enough guidance on what to buy from scratch to do it right. My main gripe is noise, and even if I go water there will still be fan noise, I hate fan noise. Hence why I am in love with this case.

I'm probably moving to a 4gb model when they hit the market and selling my 2gb evga card anyway. Maybe I'll get luckier with one of those. Still, the cooler looks pleasing, and I'm willing to try it with the ft02.
I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but I'd really be curious to see what your temps look like with the case on its side. The aftermarket coolers on the GTX 480 I mentioned, would be make the 480s temps +30-40C in the 90 degree orientation, while running much cooler with the FT02 on its side or face. Either way I'm going to test different orientations on when my card gets here (Thursday) to see if there's any difference. I'm sure its not as bad as the coolers that didn't have wicks, but I hope Nvidia didn't cheap out on anything internal. Outside of this potential problem, there's no way any case is going to cool this card better than SS 90 degree rotated cases. The only thing that would suck about an aftermarket cooler, would be all the hot air being blown all over the place, but I can understand why you'd want to look into that. My overclocked 480 only hit a little higher than you're temps, so I think it's ridiculous this card gets so warm in an FT02...

PS I'm also addicted to silence, my current setup is sonically invisible (two slip stream pwms running 250-400rpm and an Asus 560 ti Top), and I'm hoping this card is quiet, at least outside of gaming.

Edit: And here's the thread - http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=1529745&mpage=1#1531485

posted the exact same results earlier in the thread

What case do you have? I'm hoping something standard so my potential theory is meaningless.

Last edited:

I know you want to stay under 70C, but it only throttles 15 Mhz when it gets above 70C (at least mine does) so I really don't think it's that big a deal. Are you seeing a significant difference from going over 70?

I know you want to stay under 70C, but it only throttles 15 Mhz when it gets above 70C (at least mine does) so I really don't think it's that big a deal. Are you seeing a significant difference from going over 70?

does anyone know if it throttles anymore after that? If not i guess its not a big deal, but if it spikes to an unstable mhz because of the +XXX amount it will fail before temps rise causing it to downclock a little. But i guess 15mhz again isnt much

does anyone know if it throttles anymore after that? If not i guess its not a big deal, but if it spikes to an unstable mhz because of the +XXX amount it will fail before temps rise causing it to downclock a little. But i guess 15mhz again isnt much

It drops another 15 Mhz at 80C.

I did my super high flow mod on my old bracket today - cut the top part off (with the flange where it fastens to the case and the top screw on the back and side screw) and just mounted that. Temps were another 3C cooler, and the fan ran slower, so it might actually account for more than that if I turned the fan up some. Before I was getting 73C at 72-73% fan, now it is 70C at 70% fan. That's down from high 70s with the original bracket.

Last edited:
ugh my clocks are getting stuck in 2D again and I don't know whats causing it or how to fix it.

http://youtu.be/KTc-LmagmZc

edit: Took a couple restarts to get them back, but now they're back.

Last edited:
Anybody have recommended heaven settings?

And can anyone post their fan profiles?

edit: pretty happy with this card so far. Waiting on my high flow, a few changes and I should be able to do a little better.

15f824ee76cd5de1f69cf8d57364bfb9.png

Last edited:
^^ something tells me that the res you're running didn't need a gpu upgrade.
1050 and 1080...Batman in 3D w/ max details gets me about 30FPS in the benchmark using 680 on the 1080. It's not the res that's killing it, it's the 3D or 120 hz preference.

I have an RV02 and don't have any issues with temps. Look at the temps that the [H] review showed.
1332370311kfvezRMQlH_13_2.gif

They're in the 80's and I am sitting pretty over here at +170 core and temps never get over 76c in furmark. If anything I would say this cooler works better in my case.

You're running an Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo II? You may have just been the reason I buy it.

I know you want to stay under 70C, but it only throttles 15 Mhz when it gets above 70C (at least mine does) so I really don't think it's that big a deal.

Yeah, I see the same behaviour here with my GTX 680.

With 132% Power, +150 MHz GPU offset, +400 MHz memory offset, a custom fan profile (at 40 C, it raises the fan speed by 1% for every 1 C increase in temp) and NO voltage tweak, my card will run at 1,287 MHz GPU/6.8 GHz memory clocks until it hits 70-72 C then it'll drop to 1,262 MHz and stay there since I haven't seen temps above 75 C in anything I've tested.

I'm very pleased with the GPU overclock (my card hits 1,137 MHz on the GPU clock on the default settings) but the memory overclock is a little disappointing. At +450 MHz on memory clock Battlefield 3 plays fine but I see "stretched polygons" in the Lost Planet 2 benchmark. At +500 MHz the games fail with a "driver not responding" error. Seems the sweet spot for my memory is between 6.8 and 6.9 GHz but I've settled on the lower figure as I haven't seen any issues with that setting in any game I've played/tested.

Incidentally, I enjoyed reading the overclocking guide here: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/04/nvidia_kepler_geforce_gtx_680_overclocking_review/1. It was well-written and very informative.

Good lord, my overclocks SUCK in comparison to what I see here. +120/+275 seems about all I can manage, unless the driver crash I get in BF3 at higher speeds isn't related to the clocks.

Good lord, my overclocks SUCK in comparison to what I see here. +120/+275 seems about all I can manage, unless the driver crash I get in BF3 at higher speeds isn't related to the clocks.

I can only do +300 on the memory before I get weird texture issues, so you aren't that far off. I can do +150 core though.

Back