Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

xoleras

2[H]4U
Hi,

So this will be the definitive thread I hope for what overclocks you have achieved , and what % gain you received in return. Links to reviews that address this as well would be great! I've only found 2 reviews that address Max 7970 oc vs Max 680 oc. So far at stock the 680 has exceeded all my expectations, but I really want more info on overclocking.

Last edited:
Also, links to reviews with overclocking?

So far i've only found bit-tech and xbitlabs.

Need more data!

I don't understand this talk about OC locked. Various sites have shown OC's. It looks like the card will automatically downclock if it senses that it may start producing errors. I think this is a good thing for most gamers, but not for the hardcore enthusiast.

Guru3D did there own Overclocking test. Results are promising although I'm sure within a month we'll see more efficient cards with better cooling to get the clocks even higher.

Guru3D did there own Overclocking test. Results are promising although I'm sure within a month we'll see more efficient cards with better cooling to get the clocks even higher.

Hardware Canucks got similar results with theirs - something like +150 for core and +550 for memory. I think they only used 120% for TDP though.

Hardware Canucks got similar results with theirs - something like +150 for core and +550 for memory. I think they only used 120% for TDP though.

Good to know! I can't wait to get my cards tomorrow to see what I can OC up to. I'm worried that apparently you can't manipulate voltage manually (this is what i'm hearing on TPU...)

I'll put it up against my 1.12v 7970 and see how it comes out.

Is there a way to change the voltage on the memory for the 7970?

Just came across this:
http://translate.google.com/transla...m/12754/evga-geforce-gtx680-1842mhz-03222012/

GTX 680 overclocked to 1842Mhz (screenshot shows 1848Mhz?) Core on LN2 w/ modified PWM for extra power.
It looks like 7970 on LN2 maxed out at 1800Mhz Core overclock results in a slightly higher 3DMark11 P score of 15035 (vs 14912) and Graphics score of 15334 (vs 14957).
For whatever reason GTX 680 has a ~15fps lead in GT1 but loses by ~10fps in GT4, with the other tests being very close.

With the 7970 on LN2 @1680Mhz core it scores slightly lower @ P14791 with a Graphics score of 14641.
This 7970 on LN2 @1700Mhz core actually has a slightly higher score of P15063 but still a slightly lower Graphics score of 14888.

It would seems the GK104 cores themselves must have a mighty impressive overclocking headroom similar to 7970, but are more limited by the 6+6pin, power regulation, and cooling on the reference boards than anything else.

Last edited:
Just came across this:
http://translate.google.com/transla...m/12754/evga-geforce-gtx680-1842mhz-03222012/

GTX 680 overclocked to 1842Mhz (screenshot shows 1848Mhz?) Core on LN2 w/ modified PWM for extra power.
It looks like 7970 on LN2 maxed out at 1700Mhz Core overclock results in a near-identical 3DMark11 P score of ~15000.

It would seems the GK104 cores themselves must have a mighty impressive overclocking headroom similar to 7970, but are more limited by the 6+6pin, power regulation, and cooling on the reference boards than anything else.

The 680 seems to gain less performance per MHz than the 7970 does beyond stock. That may be due to the immaturity of drivers / overclocking software though......but so far an 1125 7970 seems about equal to an oc 680. I'm anxious to get my claws in on the 680 oc action.

[HWBOT] GTX 680 takes record @ 1900 Mhz

http://hwbot.org/submission/2267660_kingpin_3dmark11___performance_geforce_gtx_680_15327_marks/

cS1Vw.jpg

LICKS LIPS ;)
This will be an interesting thread.
Also LN2 is interesting, but im more interested in the on air or wc results.

I've gotten so far 100 on the core so 1215 boosted, kinda dissapointed that i can't adjust voltage past default though =p

Ouch! No V control, got to look in to this, I thought we we're going to be able to up it.

It sounds like you'll be able to set a higher "maximum" voltage, but not set a custom one. At least that's what the Precision page says.

My cards seem to vary in voltage as they are running, I saw them dip to 1.15 then back to 1.175 then back down as i was playing and the clock speed stayed the same.

If we can get even more voltage out of these, 1.3-1.4 Ghz on air should be no problem. Just needs 7+ Ghz on the RAM to handle all that extra power. :)

There's a thread up over on Kingpin's website where he reached 1900 mhz on LN2. He also achieved 1400 mhz on a stock air cooled card. Too bad it was probably the best card EVGA could find. Anyway here's the thread.

what sort of fan speeds are yall running to get these numbers? Given the way these chips read their own thermals it seems fan speed could be a critical bit of info to include with your speeds.

Are you guys raising the voltage in Precision X?

I tried setting the TDP to max and couldn't even get +50Mhz in Batman in 3D Vision.

Are you guys raising the voltage in Precision X?

I tried setting the TDP to max and couldn't even get +50Mhz in Batman in 3D Vision.

If I understand Precision X correctly, the user cannot modify the voltage directly, only increase the max power that the card can consume (giving more headroom to increase clocks). Take a look at the Anandtech link a few posts above, explains the dance of GPU Boost and OCing pretty well.

If I understand Precision X correctly, the user cannot modify the voltage directly, only increase the max power that the card can consume (giving more headroom to increase clocks). Take a look at the Anandtech link a few posts above, explains the dance of GPU Boost and OCing pretty well.

If you click the Voltage button on Precision X, it does give you the option of setting an actual voltage, but I haven't tried it to see what it does. Mine goes from .987 at idle to something like 1.175 at load.

I was able to get +150 core +400 memory without any crashes, but I was getting worse scores on Heaven then I was with lower speeds, so I'm not sure if the memory was too high and it was doing ECC, or what. I ended up at +120/+309 for now, which gives me 1231 on the core max.

The GPU Boost is also temperature dependent - when I first start the EVGA overclock tester (Furmark thing) the core is at 1245, then it drops to 1230 when the temp hits 70C, then down to 1215 when the temp exceeds 80C. So watercoolers should be happy.

Edit: I checked the voltage adjust in Precision, and it doesn't keep the setting when you hit set, it just jumps back to the default.

Last edited:
What are you guys doing to stress test, I'm going to be working on this overclock soon.

Uniengine Heaven
All settings to max, 8xAA, 16xAI... Most people seem to be running at 1920x1080 so I do two scores for my native 1200 and then 1080 to compare.

3DMark 11
Just click the Advanced tab, Set to Performance, Run Performance. This can be done with the basic version and doesn't require you to buy the paid version. I bought it but if I did it over again I would just use the basic free edition, it does everything you need.

When I screw around with the offsetting stuff, I end up blackscreening in BF3 even with a low core offset - ~50mhz. But, even without it, I've found my core clock to around 1250 as it is.

Here's a question - anyone notice a PhysX improvement with overclocking? Enabling PhysX is really where my Batman: AC performance takes a hit. Everything else I can pretty much max out.

The highest I've got is like 10200 on the RC11 drivers on my 7970. I've only got a 930 @ 4.2. I see you have a 2700k at 5.1ghz. It seems the 7970 makes up some speed against the 680 once overclocked.

Yes but the 7970 that you have is watercooled, I'm using the stock reference cooler. Huuuuuge difference as the 680 is limited OC due to heat and that's about the max I can do without pushing the card out of my noise comfort zone, with watercooling or a custom cooler I full expect people to hit 1300+ MHz core easily.

When I screw around with the offsetting stuff, I end up blackscreening in BF3 even with a low core offset - ~50mhz. But, even without it, I've found my core clock to around 1250 as it is.

1250 seems to be around my cap also, if I offset higher than that it starts to get errors. Pretty solid at 1231 though, with a +120 offset. Your card seems to be boosting a lot higher than mine at stock, I wonder if that's why you have less offset room.

If the normal "boost" is 1058, and I can get +10% at around 1164, then I'll be a happy camper! My card is still in flight, soon.

Back