• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

My default boost is +110. So boost clock out of the box is 1110MHz.
That seems to be close to what mine is too. I was going off the "default boost" clock reported in GPU-Z, which apparently is only the official boost target and not what the cards will hit.

Does yours boost to +110 if you don't change the power target to 132%?
 
Cool. We have similar boosting cards it sounds like. I'll play with mine tonight. What is your highest stable offsets?
 
Mine seems to run +175/+200 fine, no problems. I can run +175/+250 but that doesn't seem to gain much on the memory. I'm running 1175mv at these speeds.
 
Managed to run 175/350 last night on unigine and 3dmark11. Though once I crashed my drivers at 200 core, I had to reboot to get stability at 175 again (I had run 175/350 before upping to 200/400 and crashing). Is that normal?
 
Managed to run 175/350 last night on unigine and 3dmark11. Though once I crashed my drivers at 200 core, I had to reboot to get stability at 175 again (I had run 175/350 before upping to 200/400 and crashing). Is that normal?

The mem should be able to run at +500. As for the core I was able to do +200.
Try +190. What is your stock boost clock? Mine is 110MHz over stock.


Cool. We have similar boosting cards it sounds like. I'll play with mine tonight. What is your highest stable offsets?

+200 core / +500 mem in 3DMark11
+160 core / +400 mem in BF3

I may can bump up the mem in BF3 a bit, but anything extra on the core will result in crashes.
So 1270MHz / 6800MHz is my highest stable in game clock so far. 1310Mhz / 7000MHz is my highest bench clock.
 
I can't seem to get passed 135 core, 150 seems to have issues. But at 135 core I've been able to bench with +300/400/500 memory. 135/500 I'm pretty happy with, Really want to get a little bit more core though.
 
The mem should be able to run at +500. As for the core I was able to do +200.
Try +190. What is your stock boost clock? Mine is 110MHz over stock.

I'm not actually sure I can go over 175 core, but ill try when I get home. I was more wondering why, after my drivers crashed a few times, I had to reboot to get stable again. And if that is normal.

I was stable at 175 on unigine, then pushed to 200 and crashed so I backed it down slowly all the way back to 175 again but it wouldn't run stable again until I rebooted
 
I'm not actually sure I can go over 175 core, but ill try when I get home. I was more wondering why, after my drivers crashed a few times, I had to reboot to get stable again. And if that is normal.

I was stable at 175 on unigine, then pushed to 200 and crashed so I backed it down slowly all the way back to 175 again but it wouldn't run stable again until I rebooted

I've been running into this too. Seems like the best thing to do is to reboot after each driver crash.

My OC results don't look nearly as positive as many of yours. Although I haven't touched the memory yet, looks like my max stable OC might be around +120. +125 is benchable in 3dmark and heaven, but heaven will usually crash in 10-15 minutes.
 
I must have gotten a really shitty card as I can't even get +100 core stable with 132% power, default memory.
 
I'm new to benching so I haven't acutally been looping heaven, just benching. So who knows what is actually gonna be stable. But the card hasn't broken 71c yet so I like that
 
I was more wondering why, after my drivers crashed a few times, I had to reboot to get stable again. And if that is normal.

Same thing happened to me. Have you been checking your performance with the high memory overclocks? It appeared to me that after a certain point (I think it was +350 or so for me) that performance started to go back down a little - possibly because of error correction.
 
I must have gotten a really shitty card as I can't even get +100 core stable with 132% power, default memory.

your boost could just be going higher than everyone else? At +100 what is your max speed reaching?
 
So far I have success with +150/+500 during gaming. Anything above that, it dies. I'll keep testing for stability over the weekend.
 
Managed to run 175/350 last night on unigine and 3dmark11. Though once I crashed my drivers at 200 core, I had to reboot to get stability at 175 again (I had run 175/350 before upping to 200/400 and crashing). Is that normal?

There isn't anything normal about OC crashing because OCing isn't normal, only stock settings. I always reboot after a crash myself because from a mental perpective, whatever fubar'd, I want it cleared up by reloading windows. Looks like you're getting some decent clocks.

I must have gotten a really shitty card as I can't even get +100 core stable with 132% power, default memory.

That sucks man, how are your temps?
 
Oh, so thats why offsets over 135 are stable now. I must have crashed before when stress testing.
 
+63 gpu clock crashes for me, while not touching voltage. The MHz bounce around at all default settings, what I see is 1084/1097 as top boost clock so far. MSI AB seems more straight forward than PrecisionX. Not sure I quite understand how it's all working. It's like the sliders are mere suggestions.

edit: okay, MSI AB has voltage offset, and PrecisionX locks the voltage. Seems like the latter would be much preferred, trying again ... nope, mine's not an overclocker, it's almost not even worth bothering with for just +38. So my peak is around 1135 MHz. That's the smallest oc I've had in years, lol. Testing oc with Crysis, btw.
 
Last edited:
+63 gpu clock crashes for me, while not touching voltage. The MHz bounce around at all default settings, what I see is 1084/1097 as top boost clock so far. MSI AB seems more straight forward than PrecisionX. Not sure I quite understand how it's all working. It's like the sliders are mere suggestions.

edit: okay, MSI AB has voltage offset, and PrecisionX locks the voltage. Seems like the latter would be much preferred, trying again ...

You can't adjust the voltage on these cards. They'll hit the max voltage by default as long as you can keep them below 70c or so and up powertune or whatever nvidia is calling it. Also if you are cpu limited in a game you might not see boost speeds either not that it will matter.
 
+63 gpu clock crashes for me, while not touching voltage. The MHz bounce around at all default settings, what I see is 1084/1097 as top boost clock so far. MSI AB seems more straight forward than PrecisionX. Not sure I quite understand how it's all working. It's like the sliders are mere suggestions.

edit: okay, MSI AB has voltage offset, and PrecisionX locks the voltage. Seems like the latter would be much preferred, trying again ... nope, mine's not an overclocker, it's almost not even worth bothering with for just +38. So my peak is around 1135 MHz. That's the smallest oc I've had in years, lol.

Precision doesn't lock the voltage either - the slider doesn't actually work. All you can do is turn up the Power Level in the card - both Afterburner and PrecisionX let you set it at up to 132%. You won't get much overclocking done unless you turn that up - the default 100% doesn't give you much headroom.
 
+63 gpu clock crashes for me, while not touching voltage. The MHz bounce around at all default settings, what I see is 1084/1097 as top boost clock so far. MSI AB seems more straight forward than PrecisionX. Not sure I quite understand how it's all working. It's like the sliders are mere suggestions.

edit: okay, MSI AB has voltage offset, and PrecisionX locks the voltage. Seems like the latter would be much preferred, trying again ... nope, mine's not an overclocker, it's almost not even worth bothering with for just +38. So my peak is around 1135 MHz. That's the smallest oc I've had in years, lol.

What brand did you get? Just curious...

Maybe a slight bump in voltage would help?
 
What brand did you get? Just curious...

Maybe a slight bump in voltage would help?

Galaxy, though I doubt it makes any difference for these first cards, probably just luck of the draw. I tried pegging the voltage to 1.175, but that crashed at +75. It already goes up to 1.162v by itself normally.

Precision doesn't lock the voltage either - the slider doesn't actually work. All you can do is turn up the Power Level in the card - both Afterburner and PrecisionX let you set it at up to 132%. You won't get much overclocking done unless you turn that up - the default 100% doesn't give you much headroom.

It did too lock the voltage! I tried 1.175, the top voltage allowed. Yeah I'm using "power target" already.

GPU-Z 0.6.0 says asic quality is 0x001, if anyone cares to compare.
 
Last edited:
It did too lock the voltage! I tried 1.175, the top voltage allowed. Yeah I'm using "power target" already.

GPU-Z 0.6.0 says asic quality is 0x001, if anyone cares to compare.

I should have said it doesn't allow you to increase the voltage - that's what I meant. It caps out a 1.175 no matter what you set in the slider.
 
I should have said it doesn't allow you to increase the voltage - that's what I meant. It caps out a 1.175 no matter what you set in the slider.

Bingo.

No matter if you're stock or at 1300Mhz, the card will run at the same temps, at the same voltage.
70C is the Great Wall of China on the GTX 680. The first level of boost downclocking starts there.
 
70C is the Great Wall of China on the GTX 680. The first level of boost downclocking starts there.

Okay, I tried 85% fan (max) @ 1.175v, and at 57C it crashed at +80 (1164). It's never guaranteed, oh well! Stock settings for me.
 
Okay, I tried 85% fan (max) @ 1.175v, and at 57C it crashed at +80 (1164). It's never guaranteed, oh well! Stock settings for me.

Wow, that sucks. My last two cards, before this one, were both terrible overclockers so I know the feeling. Seems like I got luckier this time around. At least the card still kicks ass at stock.
 
Okay, I tried 85% fan (max) @ 1.175v, and at 57C it crashed at +80 (1164). It's never guaranteed, oh well! Stock settings for me.

Ouch, I guess that my card is a great overclocker then.
+160 on the core is a breeze.
 
Ok looks like my max stable off sets using afterburner are +155 core and +585 memory. I guessing both fall within the average category?
 
hcNFc.jpg


GPU 1250
Memory 1700
Volts 1.25

What's yours on a 680?
 
Mine seems to be a slightly below average overclocker (unless I'm doing it wrong). +120 core/+~300 memory seems to be all I can manage. Results in a Boost Clock of 1200 or so.
 
I've had crashes with +100 & above on core now... Do I need to increase voltage for stability?
 
WTF... during normal operation while using Firefox, the screen freezes & resets the drivers. Not sure what the hell is going on since I don't have anything OC'd at the moment & its not overheating.
 
I've had crashes with +100 & above on core now... Do I need to increase voltage for stability?

WTF... during normal operation while using Firefox, the screen freezes & resets the drivers. Not sure what the hell is going on since I don't have anything OC'd at the moment & its not overheating.

You can increase the power level, but you can't increase voltage directly. Do increase the power level though. Once the card crashes, you need to reboot, or it'll start having random issues even at the desktop. Seems like the drivers/card doesn't recover from a crash as smoothly as they used to.
 
although I can bench at +125 core, to be able to run heaven for more than 20 minutes, I had to drop down to +100. This is with the power target at 132% of course and a ramped up fan profile so the temp stays under 70 degrees. The final gpu clock at these settings under full load is 1185mhz. Haven't started testing memory yet.
 
You can increase the power level, but you can't increase voltage directly. Do increase the power level though. Once the card crashes, you need to reboot, or it'll start having random issues even at the desktop. Seems like the drivers/card doesn't recover from a crash as smoothly as they used to.


Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll be doing OC the old school way... :(
 
Back
Top