• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

In case anyone is wondering mine's at 1323/1702 - all three.

What brand of card? Reference, SC, FTW?

-Does having a reference PCB have any really performance impact over FTW?
I seem to have gotten my card higher than what I see "most" people at. Just curios....
(1306/3310)
 
I ordered a cooler to get my temps lower with less sound but as of now, Ive pushed my EVGA Signature O/C card to 1306//1700 (thats with boost). No bios flash.
 
I think it is about time that I try to get a modest OC on my cards.

Each card is running a different bios version and are by no means identical. I bought them about 8 months apart.

Should I crank the Power Target to max and start adjusting the core? Or should I go with the mem first? WIll there be a sweet spot between the two or is it like finding the max I can go on my core then find the max on my mem?

Also, Afterburner or Precision?
 
Overclocking AMD cards was way easier, lol. Gonna take a min to get used to this afterburner program.
 
Hey guys, just thought i would share my OC achievement. I'm using the EVGA Signature+ SC with a modified bios.

35kiupu.jpg
 
If you are sticking with the reference cooler, I would recommend everyone remove the pre-applied thermal paste. I removed the pre-applied thermal paste and used some MX-2. My idle temps went from 34-35 down to 27-28. My full load temps from 74-75 down to 67-68. Tests done in Heaven 4.0 Extreme.
How about memory ?
Doesn't the cooler have tape-looking thingy attached for VRAM? How did you apply MX-2 between stock heatsink/cooler and VRAM ?
 
How about memory ?
Doesn't the cooler have tape-looking thingy attached for VRAM? How did you apply MX-2 between stock heatsink/cooler and VRAM ?

I imagine it looks like this..
I would just clean up the GPU and heatsink. Apply a thin layer of quality thermal paste, leaving the Ram alone. I did this with my 6870's and it helped a lot. I will be doing this to my GTX680 once I order some MX2 or whatever.

msi-gtx-680-twin-frozr_cooler-removed.jpg
 
My GTX 680 keeps TDR'ing (kernel blah blah has failed and recovered etc) no matter what clock speeds I have running on. Cooling is not a problem, mem have nice heatsinks on them and the GPU never goes above 60ish C.

Only way to solve it is by going into BIOS and turning PCI-E Gen3/Auto to Gen 2... not a single TDR crash ever since.

Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem. I wonder if it is the card or maybe the MB or the CPU.
 
Hey guys, just thought i would share my OC achievement. I'm using the EVGA Signature+ SC with a modified bios.

I can run stable at that O. But that is as far as I can OC the core. You could raise you Memory OC to at least +450 and run stable. Np at all. I have the EVGA GTX680 4GB Vanilla.
 
On my reference card with an Arctic Twin Turbo cooler and some ram sinks, I can do 1254mhz no problem. Mem runs at 7000 without breaking a sweat.

But any higher than 1254, I'm likely to crash.
 
my msi gtx 680 vanilla goes to 1267/7000 stable, but I did changed the bios: 1.21v vent goes to 100% and boost is deactivated.
 
You could raise you Memory OC to at least +450 and run stable. Np at all.

Not true in my case.

No two cards are alike when it comes to overclocking.. variables like silicon lottery, motherboard, PSU efficiency and cooling all make overclocking a unique experience for all cards.

Adding another 50Mhz to my memory OC produces artifacts and instability. +325 or ~6840Mhz on my card is the limit (which is about +425 from reference speeds)

Thanks for your input though.
 
Last edited:
So I guess running stable at 1293/7010 is a decent clock. It does crash at rare intervals. So It is more safe to say 1280/7010. The memory OC is great. But I have the 4GB version. Maybe it helps. I heard the denser VRAM makes OCing worse vs standard density.
 
2hoinno.jpg


managed a killer firestrike score with a single 680. Because im using beta drivers they wont accept the score. But still.. im fairly satisfied.
 
Hey guys, just thought i would share my OC achievement. I'm using the EVGA Signature+ SC with a modified bios.

35kiupu.jpg

Am I reading this right that you unlocked voltage on a SC Signature? Gen 1 of the 680s? Because that would be very awesome...
 
I Just bought a MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III and have been fiddling about with the settings. Stock bios but the card is watercooled. Running with 3570K 4,5GHz@1,34v in the same circulation with a 3x140mm cooler. I'm considering flashing the bios, but not sure yet ;)

GTX680OC.png
 
Hi folks,

I've tried everything with mine, but it seems I have a dud. It's a 670 GTX with a 680PCB and aftermarket cooling. It comes in pre-overclocked with pretty decent speeds, but I can't push it any higher on Core. I actually have to DOWNclock it 39mhz on Core to be stable in Heaven 4.0 (8x AA, Tesselation extreme, 1920x1080 all max). The memory on it clocks like crazy though, as I'm able to hit close to 8GHZ

Stock Clock : 1098mhz (Nvidia stock = 915mhz)
Boost Clock : 1176mhz (Nvidia stock = 980mhz)
Memory Clock : 6608mhz (Nvidia stock = 6008mhz)

Current clock : 1059mhz
Boost Clock : 1137mhz
Memory Clock : 7800mhz (1.8GHZ over stock speeds)

It runs at 1.175v under load, and increasing the Power Target To +100%/132% actually causes it to crash, because it pushes it to Boost higher than 1137mhz.

So basically my card NEVER boosts over 1176mhz/1137mhz. If anyone has any ideas outside of RMA and BIOS flash (from another company), I'm all ears. :)

P.S. Speeds are generally below 70 degrees under Heavy load (crazy 3 slot cooler), so it's likely not heat related. I've also tested with the fan set to 70% which gives me temps in the high 50s/low 60s and it didn't help.
 
Last edited:
My GTX 680 keeps TDR'ing (kernel blah blah has failed and recovered etc) no matter what clock speeds I have running on. Cooling is not a problem, mem have nice heatsinks on them and the GPU never goes above 60ish C.

Only way to solve it is by going into BIOS and turning PCI-E Gen3/Auto to Gen 2... not a single TDR crash ever since.

Seems like I'm not the only one with this problem. I wonder if it is the card or maybe the MB or the CPU.

Hmm.. I recall seeing this value in the BIOS, I can't recall if it's set to AUTO or Gen2, definitely something I am going to try, as mine is doing the same thing (constant TDR with slight core overclock). See my post above.

P.S. Wait, aren't the GTX 680/670 PCIE Gen 3? :|
 
Last edited:
Hi folks,

I've tried everything with mine, but it seems I have a dud. It's a 670 GTX with a 680PCB and aftermarket cooling. It comes in pre-overclocked with pretty decent speeds, but I can't push it any higher on Core. I actually have to DOWNclock it 39mhz on Core to be stable in Heaven 4.0 (8x AA, Tesselation extreme, 1920x1080 all max). The memory on it clocks like crazy though, as I'm able to hit close to 8GHZ

Stock Clock : 1098mhz (Nvidia stock = 915mhz)
Boost Clock : 1176mhz (Nvidia stock = 980mhz)
Memory Clock : 6608mhz (Nvidia stock = 6008mhz)

Current clock : 1059mhz
Boost Clock : 1137mhz
Memory Clock : 7800mhz (1.8GHZ over stock speeds)

It runs at 1.175v under load, and increasing the Power Target To +100%/132% actually causes it to crash, because it pushes it to Boost higher than 1137mhz.

So basically my card NEVER boosts over 1176mhz/1137mhz. If anyone has any ideas outside of RMA and BIOS flash (from another company), I'm all ears. :)

P.S. Speeds are generally below 70 degrees under Heavy load (crazy 3 slot cooler), so it's likely not heat related. I've also tested with the fan set to 70% which gives me temps in the high 50s/low 60s and it didn't help.

Zotac amp is a beast. I used to have 1 boosted to 1293 stock lol. R u trying to run heaven with you memory at 7800?. I highly highly doubt your memory is stable at 7800. If so put memory back to stock and try running that. If not I can give u link to the 670/680 over volt bios thread. They will help you out (you upload your bios and they will adjust it so your max boost is lower) personally I'd just RMA. You got a dud probably. Zotac amps are supposed to be binned and should at least run stable.
 
Hey thanks for replying.

7800 is actually surprisingly stable, and I haven't even tried pushing it higher, so I might hit 8ghz who knows. :) I played Tomb Raider maxed, and Metro Last light maxed for hours and it hasn't crashed, and I pass Heaven 4.0 at it (as long as the stock clock is lowered by 39mhz).

And no I'm not trying to OC the Core with Memory @ 7.8ghz :) I tried the stock 6.6GHZ and even lowering it to see if the card didn't like the combo core/mem overclock, but no dice.

I thought of an RMA, but since I can push the memory so high, and only have to downclock 39mhz, I'm gonna wait on it, maybe I can RMA next year or something. I just bought the card like a week ago, so paying for shipping back for an RMA leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
 
What settings do you use in Heaven to test your overclock? I cannot get my card to remain stable with anything above 1215 core. Memory is at stock. But I can play games with a boost of 1241 with no issues.
 
What settings do you use in Heaven to test your overclock? I cannot get my card to remain stable with anything above 1215 core. Memory is at stock. But I can play games with a boost of 1241 with no issues.

I run it at Extreme preset. I haven't tried anything lower, I figure if it crashes at extreme, no point trying the others.
 
Final OC on air using Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 2.
Core: 1333Mhz
Mem: 6750Mhz

This is with a flashed bios and voltage set at max of 1.2125v. Higher clocks for my particular card would require either Water/LN2 and PWM modding.

2mmu8ly.jpg
 
Back
Top