Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

Strange, yesterday I could barely push my ram and today I can't seem to be able to put them high enough. I'm gonna be careful about the ECC aspect, What is the best program to check for stability on ram and gpu?

Seems different programs are recommended for each different type of oc

Currently I'm testing with EVGA OC tool or whatever it's called which basically runs a furmark benchmark or stress test

Once card is at an amazing 1332 on the core and the other is around 1232 only :( I'm still tweaking now though. These cards are reference cards with a custom fan curve at 132 Power. High flow brackets are on the way.

i have two zotacs and could not go as high as i go now after flashing the bios to a moded evga 1241/1752/1280. i can go up to 1305 stable with furmark, 3dmark11, heaven and games bf3, arma 2, skyrim!

Last edited:
i have two zotacs and could not go as high as i go now after flashing the bios to a moded evga 1241/1752/1280. i can go up to 1305 stable with furmark, 3dmark11, heaven and games bf3, arma 2, skyrim!

Just out of curiosity how high or not high LOL did your Zotac's go before the bios mod.

What's different about that modded bios that you think could be contributing to the better overclock? My bad card of the 2 can't even handle the stock clocks of the bios you mentioned. It tops off at 1215mhz/6950vram

Edit: Also can you provide a link to where you got the modded bios and instructions. I'd be willing to give the flash a go if you think it'll help.

Last edited:
i dont remember how high would go but was under 1280 for sure and they would not boost properly , with evga they would go up to 1295 after that crash on heaven, plus the modded bios has fan 40 to 100% so you can benchmark better keeping temps under 70c. But now they are watercooled so for me does not metter! After i water cooled it i can get stable at 1305. temps 100% load stays at 54c furmark and gaming 44c.

http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...view/id,62773/catid,10/limit,10/limitstart,0/

That is where i learn how to flash and the bios are all there too! there is like a few to chose from!And if you need help those guys are cool and will help you!

Use the nvflash for window bc its much easier

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash-5.118-for-Windows.html

But you got to know what you are doing! Page 8 from that mvktech forum i sent you has the commands to flash in sli.

Last edited:
i dont remember how high would go but was under 1280 for sure and they would not boost properly , with evga they would go up to 1295 after that crash on heaven, plus the modded bios has fan 40 to 100% so you can benchmark better keeping temps under 70c. But now they are watercooled so for me does not metter! After i water cooled it i can get stable at 1305. temps 100% load stays at 54c furmark and gaming 44c.

http://www.mvktech.net/component/op...view/id,62773/catid,10/limit,10/limitstart,0/

That is where i learn how to flash and the bios are all there too! there is like a few to chose from!And if you need help those guys are cool and will help you!

I'm very familiar with flashing cards and am no stranger to MVKtech and nibbitor etc... Thanks for the link. I guess it's worth a shot on my 2nd card, though I may need to return it as it has other weird issues that make me feel strange about it. My system refused to power on 2x when I had it installed. I have since cleaned the pcie connector on the card with an eraser and that has stopped happening but I have a uneasy feeling about the card at this point. who knows maybe it's fine and this flash is just what the doctor ordered. I'll try it tomorrow as I'm stuck at work until 11pm eastern and wont get home until midnight. I'll post results here.

Asus DirectCUII TOP GTX 680 24/7 100% stable clocks

Power Target: 159% ( Never gets over 110% ha )

Core Boost: 1310mhz

Mem: 6700 mhz

Stock Fan profile max temp 65C

This card is built like a freaking tank. So awesome, very happy with it. I just wish voltage was unlocked because I do believe it would absolutely fly. I dont think we'll every see anything over 1350 without voltage mods. Just the way it is. Anyways heres some pics.

20120516143712419.jpg

20120516144807655.jpg

20120516144824782.jpg

^^^ You seriously make me want to return my Galaxy reference 680 just to get that bad boy...

Gigabyte GTX 680 Windforce 3X OC stable clocks

Power Target: 111% (This is a 225w card so +111% = 250w)

Core Boost: 1325 MHz

Mem: 7012 MHz

75% fan speed max temp: 58C

3DMARK 11: P10460

Use the nvflash for window bc its much easier

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash-5.118-for-Windows.html

But you got to know what you are doing! Page 8 from that mvktech forum i sent you has the commands to flash in sli.

No go on the nv flash for windows. Seems it only suppots 32 bit systems. I ended up making a bootable flash drive and using nvflash to flash the same bios you flashed on your cards.

The bios works as advertised, fans and all

Sadly it did nothing for my overclocking on the bad card of the 2. It reached the same area. Seems it wont go any farther.

On a completely side note I can no longer get video from one dvi port on it and it didn't let my system boot yet again while it was plugged in. The strange behavior could be the reason it can't overclock that well. Maybe the board has a manufacturer defect or some kind of short on the pcb somewhere. Anyway. It's going back to newegg. Honestly whether this fixed the overclocking or not it was going back but because of that I guess I used it as a guinea pig for some bios flashing action.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait until nbbitor is available. There are going to be some sweet features that'll surely help these cards perform better

Setting the base clock higher will keep the card form throttling so much when it comes down from the boost clock I bet. Interesting stuff going on in that thread. Seems like they learn new things every day.

Anyhow, I'm gonna hit the sack. Thanks again bro.

My card Galaxy 680GTX GC max stable overclock only 1245 boost clock and memory +200MHz,
Not a good one, especially the memory. I can go higher for 3DMark or heaven, but not stable in games like BF3 or Sniper Elite V2.

I thought this card suppose to be good for overclock, but it is not a good overclocker:mad:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My card Galaxy 680GTX GC max stable overclock only 1245 boost clock and memory +200MHz,
Not a good one, especially the memory. I can go higher for 3DMark or heaven, but not stable in games like BF3 or Sniper Elite V2.

Mine can benchmark higher than I can use it for 24/7 in games too. I think many people are finding this. I ran Furmark, heaven, 3dmark, etc at 200/500 but I was crashing in BF3, had to back off to 180/400 and haven't had a problem since. I might be able to push it slightly more, but I hate the random stability crash, so for now 180/400 it is.

btw mines water cooled and never breaks 38c so it's not a heat issue either.

This is a cut and paste from my 680 OC Signature feedback thread. Just wanted to share my results. :)

Card - EVGA GTX 680 OC Signature:

The card is a BEAST!!!

My final clock results are thus:

GPU - 1275Mhz
Memory - 3456Mhz (6912Mhz effective)

I've set up a fan curve to my liking. The temperature hovers around 63-64 degrees celcius under full load with the fan at 72% - 73% (I find this more than acceptable acoustically).

The card was stable as far as crashing with the GPU set at 1300Mhz, but I noticed a couple artifacts in the Heaven stress test and benchmark so I backed it off 25Mhz.

The card was again stable as far as crashing with the memory clocked at 3500Mhz (7000Mhz effective), but I again noticed a couple artifacts so I backed it down 50Mhz (100Mhz effective).

So far it has been stable as a ROCK. I've ran Heaven for a little over an hour with no artifacts, 30 minutes of Fubar and about two and a half hours of Battlefield 3. No crashes. No artifacts.

Needless to say I am extremely satisfied with the results. I was able to overclock the gpu 75Mhz higher than I was hoping and the memory is right where I was expecting. The temps 3-4 degrees cooler than I was expecting and it is LOADS quieter than the 580 Classified Ultra I am coming from.

heaven_2012_05_20_22_09_21_266.jpg

heaven_2012_05_20_22_09_28_088.jpg

Last edited:

I thought this card suppose to be good for overclock, but it is not a good overclocker:mad:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just like Asus have DCU2 OC, and DCU2 TOP. OC is probably average chips mostly, with better cooler DCU2. TOP is where the good chips are.

The Galaxy too have 2 different custom model. The real overclocker would be the Galaxy SOC (or HOF in Europe). That card is probably1280-1300MHz out of the box

The Galaxy GC just have a better cooler, and a 4GB version.

Its probably too late now but I do wish everyone would stop providing their offset clock increases since it doesn't tell a whole lot because the stock boost clocks vary on some cards. Final clock speeds determined by your stock boost clock plus offset clock included is all that matters. In other words 1200-1300MHz.

No mods, no water(yet ) all stock on air.
My new GPU high for a single card is 12,242
1331MHz(1330.7)/7200MHz

23980146_b5d40d56_P11859-1.PNG

Last edited:
No mods, no water(yet ) all stock on air.
My new GPU high for a single card is 12,242
1331MHz(1330.7)/7200MHz

[*IMG]http://cdn.overclock.net/3/38/600x338px-LL-38d6c418_23980146_b5d40d56_P11859-1.PNG[/IMG]

Your picture is tiny... :confused: .

go play bf3 and crash.

:)

3dmark is easy, playing bf3 for an hour is much harder for some reason....

go play bf3 and crash.

The best stress test i've found honestly is Crysis 2 absolutely maxed out with DX11 tessellation and HD textures, vsync off, ultra settings with motion blur. That will be guaranteed to bring out any stability issues with your OC better than 3dmark..... My VRAM use at 2560 is right around 2.5gb (using MSI afterburner overlay), I just tested it with a 4gb GTX 680 galaxy OC card....and my GPU usage stays at 99% start to finish with my highest GPU temps any game can do. Not even bf3 raises my GPU temps as high as crysis 2 modded.

By far that game raises my temps and brings out instability faster than anything else. I usually play the "from the ashes" level which is pretty intense graphically for testing.

go play bf3 and crash.

BF3? Been there and done that. My card actually boosts to 1354Mhz. Only reason I'm not posting pics of those bench runs is because it's only around 85% stable with very light artifacts...My card @ the above clocks in the screenshot are 100% rock solid stable(3dMark11,Heaven 3.0, evga overclock scanner and any game that I play.)

The best stress test i've found honestly is Crysis 2 absolutely maxed out with DX11 tessellation and HD textures, vsync off, ultra settings with motion blur. That will be guaranteed to bring out any stability issues with your OC better than 3dmark..... My VRAM use at 2560 is right around 2.5gb (using MSI afterburner overlay), I just tested it with a 4gb GTX 680 galaxy OC card....and my GPU usage stays at 99% start to finish with my highest GPU temps any game can do. Not even bf3 raises my GPU temps as high as crysis 2 modded.

By far that game raises my temps and brings out instability faster than anything else. I usually play the "from the ashes" level which is pretty intense graphically for testing.

I'll get the BF3 thing where the game will stop responding (bf3.exe has stopped responding), some people noted that this stopped with 302.56, so I'm not ruling out a driver issue still. I was running 200% - 500% ram without a problem in heaven, 3dmark, and every game but BF3. I just installed 302.56 so I may try those clocks again, right now I backed off to 190% core, 450% ram but mine is water cooled and the temps never break 36 ish C.

I'll check out "from the ashes" though.

No go on the nv flash for windows. Seems it only suppots 32 bit systems. I ended up making a bootable flash drive and using nvflash to flash the same bios you flashed on your cards.

The bios works as advertised, fans and all

Sadly it did nothing for my overclocking on the bad card of the 2. It reached the same area. Seems it wont go any farther.

On a completely side note I can no longer get video from one dvi port on it and it didn't let my system boot yet again while it was plugged in. The strange behavior could be the reason it can't overclock that well. Maybe the board has a manufacturer defect or some kind of short on the pcb somewhere. Anyway. It's going back to newegg. Honestly whether this fixed the overclocking or not it was going back but because of that I guess I used it as a guinea pig for some bios flashing action.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait until nbbitor is available. There are going to be some sweet features that'll surely help these cards perform better

Setting the base clock higher will keep the card form throttling so much when it comes down from the boost clock I bet. Interesting stuff going on in that thread. Seems like they learn new things every day.

Anyhow, I'm gonna hit the sack. Thanks again bro.

Sorry to hear that, but i hope you get a good one this time!

I have a golden card here, its 1354mhz on the core 3dmark11 and BF3 stable. Maybe something might cause it to crash like furmark, but I dont know I havent tried it. So far though its rock solid and passes 3dmark loop after loop, along with hours of BF3.

I have a golden card here, its 1354mhz on the core 3dmark11 and BF3 stable. Maybe something might cause it to crash like furmark, but I dont know I havent tried it. So far though its rock solid and passes 3dmark loop after loop, along with hours of BF3.

You should try looping Ungine Heaven 3.0 at the highest settings, 16AF and 8xAA at the highest res your monitor supports. If it passes that after 60 min or so, its stable. If so, that's a great core overclock. My 670 only does 1270'ish but my memory seems to be freakish since it does 7516MHz stable. I've had it as high 7600MHz but it will error out of Heaven after 30 minutes.

It passes heaven, but I didnt bother trying for 60 min.

I have a theory, and have left mem clocks at +200 thinking it helps with total TDP, or am I wrong on that? I sort of figured if theres a total TDP limit, to keep mem down.. I dont know, I've only had it for 1 day.

I have a theory, and have left mem clocks at +200 thinking it helps with total TDP, or am I wrong on that? I sort of figured if theres a total TDP limit, to keep mem down.. I dont know, I've only had it for 1 day.

Certainly memory will draw more power as well when its overclocked so I'm sure it contributes some. That being said, I always start with core overclocks before I ever overclock memory, generally speeaking in the past, core speed increases have always given better performance than memory overclocks, but there are many reports that show that the 6xx series gets very good performance increases from memory overclocking too. It might be due to the somewhat restricted 256 bus width but I haven't had enough time to actually compare core and memory overclocks against each other to see which provides more performance. That being said, I believe I would still favor core overclocks over memory and would start there first then move to the memory when you achieve your highest stable core clock. Also, I would loop Heaven for at least 30 min and then move on to the next bump in clock speed. It should error out when you've gone too far and the application will likely give you a D3D error message.

I've never seen my card throttle for power. It drops the clock speeds based on temps, but even running BF3 with the highest settings I couldn't get the power level over about 120% and the core/mem clocks stayed the same the whole time. So I'm not sure it is worth worrying about limiting the memory overclock to save power. Someone did some testing (there's a thread here) that showed that you get the most initial performance boost from overclocking the memory, and then it balances out after that (equal boost from core and mem), so I'd try to bump the memory a little.

So I haven't done any attempted OC bumps, but I installed a high-flow bracket and re-TIMed with IC Diamond (the stock TIM was actually pretty spotty in terms of air gaps, so I'm glad I did it) and my temps dropped seriously at LEAST 10C at full load in Heaven. Idle temps are maybe 4-5C lower. So far I have not seen the card go over 65C when before it was hitting 75C+ pretty regularly.

EDIT: This is on the new drivers (301.42), but now I am able to bump the clock offset to 115+ (maybe higher, haven't tried) and it seems stable in Heaven. Before it would TDR like 3 minutes in. Temps max out at 70C so I'm not sure I want to try to push it further since it has to downclock at that point anyway. Core clock hits 1215 MHz now. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi, first posting here.

Managed to get to +100 core / +325 mem before it gets unstable in Heaven and Crysis.

Strange thing is the power target slider runs from 88 - 176 - this is the same in Precision, MSI and Nvidia Inspector. Whether I set to 135 (which is what it ought to be) or 176 doesn't make a difference to power percentage when card is stressed.

Any ideas why this would be the case?

Thanks.

Hi, first posting here.

Managed to get to +100 core / +325 mem before it gets unstable in Heaven and Crysis.

Strange thing is the power target slider runs from 88 - 176 - this is the same in Precision, MSI and Nvidia Inspector. Whether I set to 135 (which is what it ought to be) or 176 doesn't make a difference to power percentage when card is stressed.

Any ideas why this would be the case?

Thanks.

Sounds like you have an 8 and 6 pin card. Mine is similar. Just cause the power usage will go to 176 doesnt mean it will use it. Youll prob not see anything above 100 or so. The voltage limit of 1.175 really keeps the power usage down to a certain level. If you could adjust voltage it would use more power.

@hammerforged

Thanks for the answer. I have seen the power go up to 125% in occd whilst in heaven it gets to 92% (using precision to measure) but in both cases the core gets to 1185. Occd pushes temp up further though. Guess they are using the card in different ways.

Whatever, the 680 lets me play on 3 screens at good fps (especially race sims).

@hammerforged

Thanks for the answer. I have seen the power go up to 125% in occd whilst in heaven it gets to 92% (using precision to measure) but in both cases the core gets to 1185. Occd pushes temp up further though. Guess they are using the card in different ways.

Whatever, the 680 lets me play on 3 screens at good fps (especially race sims).

Just make sure to get the power target in your overclocking program above the max power percent you see. If you have it lower it will down clock the card to use less power. I just keep mine at max which is 159%

with all the tweaks &co I wonder how anybody hasn't yet found a way, through editing some strange crypted file to set the voltage above the limits.
This is actually a new way to control how customers use theyr gpu.

with all the tweaks &co I wonder how anybody hasn't yet found a way, through editing some strange crypted file to set the voltage above the limits.
This is actually a new way to control how customers use theyr gpu.

They are all hardware locked currently so that it requires pcb modification to adjust voltage unfortunately :( Some upcoming cards like the Msi Lightning and Evga Classified will have everything unlocked.

So I'm new to the Nvidia camp and recently picked up a Galaxy GTX 680 4GB GC.....how come I can only increase the Power Target to 112%?

You card has a lower Power Target percentage than a reference card because a reference card can only draw power from 2 x 6pin power connectors, while your card has access to more power from a 6pin + 8pin power connector. The percentage is lower, but the total power is the same.

My ref Asus 680 can hit 1200/7010 stable 24/7 on water which seems alright but not the best.

Try lowering the memory to around 6600 and then raising the core.

The way I found my overclock was to start with the core and raise to the highest stable clocks then went with the mem. I'll try your idea for the hell of it and see what happens.

Back