Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

Sometimes my "contacts" list is a white background and sometimes its black....any idea why?

Sometimes my "contacts" list is a white background and sometimes its black....any idea why?

There's actually two ways you can look at your contacts; with the "people" app and through the phone app.

The People app has a white background and pretty much shows everything in your Gmail address book regardless of if you have a phone number listed for them or not. If you go through the phone app, it has a black background and only shows contacts with phone numbers attached to them. This was annoying me forever because I was trying to filter out everyone in the People app that didn't have phone numbers associated with them and there's no way to do that. Then I found my contacts in the phone app and it solved that issue. So I just go through that now.

Just played with my co workers Nexus, and I am just not that impressed as I thought I would be.

The screen is nice, but I feel my Sprint Galaxy SII with lower res, but Super AMOELD+ looks better. The colors and vibrancy just looks nicer on the Galaxy SII. I know the resolution is higher and better on the Nexus, but something just doesn't seem right.

And there is lag on the Nexus, going into and out of the app drawer, it hesitates for a split second, whereas my Galaxy SII is smooth as silk switching between home and app drawer. And other areas, the phone is just not as snappy as I would have expected.

And there are issues with it, the Weather genie does not always find the location, even setting a zip code doesn't hold, and it drops signal at times, and WiFi doesn't always stay connected, but I am sure a patch will easily fix that.

And my co worker said the battery life sucks, he set it up per my notes, to help with battery life, no auto brightness...no auto sync...no location or gps on by default...keep it off LTE, stick to CDMA only...but he still said the battery drains in 6 hours on medium use. It has never lasted a full day yet, not even close.

o.o

What's his definition of medium usage? I normally get 2-3x that with auto-brightness on and regular updating, and LTE on.

My biggest problem with battery to date has been in low LTE areas where the antenna has to switch and search a lot.

I got Launcher EX and the drawer doesn't stutter at all anymore. You can also force on GPU rendering in the developer options.

It definitely doesn't look great on low brightness settings, but on medium and high the screen is pretty freaking brilliant.

o.o

What's his definition of medium usage? I normally get 2-3x that with auto-brightness on and regular updating, and LTE on.

My biggest problem with battery to date has been in low LTE areas where the antenna has to switch and search a lot.

I got Launcher EX and the drawer doesn't stutter at all anymore. You can also force on GPU rendering in the developer options.

It definitely doesn't look great on low brightness settings, but on medium and high the screen is pretty freaking brilliant.

I had to shut off the LTE radio since I live in Reno and while we do have decent LTE (30MB/d is pretty damn fast) when you venture out of the valley it starts bouncing and completely losing signal as it searches for LTE. Need MOAR towers VZW! The mountains kill signals. 3G is good everywhere.

Just played with my co workers Nexus, and I am just not that impressed as I thought I would be.

The screen is nice, but I feel my Sprint Galaxy SII with lower res, but Super AMOELD+ looks better. The colors and vibrancy just looks nicer on the Galaxy SII. I know the resolution is higher and better on the Nexus, but something just doesn't seem right.

And there is lag on the Nexus, going into and out of the app drawer, it hesitates for a split second, whereas my Galaxy SII is smooth as silk switching between home and app drawer. And other areas, the phone is just not as snappy as I would have expected.

And there are issues with it, the Weather genie does not always find the location, even setting a zip code doesn't hold, and it drops signal at times, and WiFi doesn't always stay connected, but I am sure a patch will easily fix that.

And my co worker said the battery life sucks, he set it up per my notes, to help with battery life, no auto brightness...no auto sync...no location or gps on by default...keep it off LTE, stick to CDMA only...but he still said the battery drains in 6 hours on medium use. It has never lasted a full day yet, not even close.

A whole split second eh? The horror.

Geeze the screen kills battery life on this thing. When I look at my usage, the screen usually accounts for 60% of the usage and that is with it on the dimmest setting. I remember engadget saying that they got 6 hours when looping a video.... I'm guessing that I would get maybe 2 hours of continuous video playback if even that.

Also, I really really miss the ability to sync facebook with my contacts. Something like 75% of my contacts were from facebook, but they are gone now. It looks so bland without photos of everyone. Only like 3 of my friends use google+.

Really? I get pretty good battery life, right now I'm sitting on 85% - phone has been on for 9 hours with some light 4g use. GPS, WiFi are on 100% of the time and brightness set over 75% most of the time.

Last edited:

Sounds to me as if you're trying to convince yourself that the SII is a better phone. No more buyers remorse then.

Really? I get pretty good battery life, right now I'm sitting on 85% - phone has been on for 9 hours with some light 4g use. GPS, WiFi are on 100% of the time and brightness set over 75% most of the time.

I've noticed that if I have wifi off my battery life is 12 hours. If I turn on and use wifi it's almost the entire day.

Geeze the screen kills battery life on this thing. When I look at my usage, the screen usually accounts for 60% of the usage and that is with it on the dimmest setting. I remember engadget saying that they got 6 hours when looping a video.... I'm guessing that I would get maybe 2 hours of continuous video playback if even that.

Also, I really really miss the ability to sync facebook with my contacts. Something like 75% of my contacts were from facebook, but they are gone now. It looks so bland without photos of everyone. Only like 3 of my friends use google+.

HaxSync in the market will sync FB for you. Try it, it works. It was just released I think yesterday from an XDA dev.

HaxSync in the market will sync FB for you. Try it, it works. It was just released I think yesterday from an XDA dev.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. If it works it will be a dollar well spent. I really didn't want to have to root my phone and go with a custom rom to have a feature that should have been there to begin with.

One question, he says in his xda thread that he can't get contact info from the facebook api. So this app just adds contacts but not contact information from facebook?

Edit: nevermind, it does NOT add contact information. It just adds a name and a picture to your contacts. That's nice, but I can't merge contacts or edit contacts that have been pulled from facebook, so I end up with two contacts for each friend. I have one contact for a friend from facebook which looks nice because of the photo, but I also have a second contact without a photo but that actually has the phone number that I manually entered.

Last edited:
And there is lag on the Nexus, going into and out of the app drawer, it hesitates for a split second, whereas my Galaxy SII is smooth as silk switching between home and app drawer.
I just tried this 20 times for giggles. I don't see "lag"; I do see the drawer icon finish its glow animation before opening the drawer, though. :eek:

I had to shut off the LTE radio since I live in Reno and while we do have decent LTE (30MB/d is pretty damn fast) when you venture out of the valley it starts bouncing and completely losing signal as it searches for LTE. Need MOAR towers VZW! The mountains kill signals. 3G is good everywhere.

Verizon said they're fixing some reception issues so a stable connection might help.

One issue im having is that right now the custom keyboards all suck. Im typing this with Swiftkey x but the main fu.ction, prediction, doesnt fucking work in most browzer fields making it worthless besides txting.

SlideIT on the other hand is Swypes low iq sibling. Its prediction and functionality is so much worse than swype's. It doesnt figure words like shouldve unless you include the apostrophe and the autocapitalization doesnt recognize password fields. Even when i put it on abc it kept capitalizing my password meaning if your pw starts with a lower.
letter, you cannot log in.

Swype unfortunately doesnt work on the gn yet and for whatever reason its still in beta. I want to give them my money and they wont let me.

This post would look perfect if i had Swype. :/

You have to set it for error tolerance/speed vs accuracy. Plus I only used it one handed. I know many people still txt with two hands.

Verizon said they're fixing some reception issues so a stable connection might help.

One issue im having is that right now the custom keyboards all suck. Im typing this with Swiftkey x but the main fu.ction, prediction, doesnt fucking work in most browzer fields making it worthless besides txting.

SlideIT on the other hand is Swypes low iq sibling. Its prediction and functionality is so much worse than swype's. It doesnt figure words like shouldve unless you include the apostrophe and the autocapitalization doesnt recognize password fields. Even when i put it on abc it kept capitalizing my password meaning if your pw starts with a lower.
letter, you cannot log in.

Swype unfortunately doesnt work on the gn yet and for whatever reason its still in beta. I want to give them my money and they wont let me.

This post would look perfect if i had Swype. :/

I tried a couple third-party keyboard apps and didn't like them at all. The default one is okay. I usually go landscape and type with two hands.

The problem I'm facing is the keyboard layout changes depending on what app you're in. Like the layout slightly different in the browser than the messaging app.

For example the space bar is different sizes. Since I mostly text this causes and issue because I get used to how large the space bar is for the messaging app. Then they make it smaller so I keep hitting the period button. It's retarded.

Sounds to me as if you're trying to convince yourself that the SII is a better phone. No more buyers remorse then.

Not at all, if Sprint gets the Galaxy-Nexus, I am really not sure if I would pick it up after playing with my coworkers. #1 being the poor battery life he complains about. But I would tempted, need more hands on time with the phone to make a good decision, it is a really cool phone, don't get me wrong, but not night and day better than my rooted Galaxy SII with custom ROM and theme.

But sounds like Sprint will not the Galaxy-Nexus until they roll out their LTE network in Spring/Summer, and by then the Galaxy S3 will not be too far off. Ah well, that's the tech world, always something better coming, if you wait, you will never get anything

Last edited:
Not at all, if Sprint gets the Galaxy-Nexus, I am really not sure if I would pick it up after playing with my coworkers. #1 being the poor battery life he complains about. But I would tempted, need more hands on time with the phone to make a good decision, it is a really cool phone, don't get me wrong, but not night and day better than my rooted Galaxy SII with custom ROM and theme.

What do you think the Galaxy Nexus is like with rooted with a custom ROM? So you're comparing your heavily modified phone to a factory phone. I have mine rooted with a custom ROM and I bet it's much better than your SII.

What do you think the Galaxy Nexus is like with rooted with a custom ROM? So you're comparing your heavily modified phone to a factory phone. I have mine rooted with a custom ROM and I bet it's much better than your SII.

The better GPU and lower res in the Galaxy SII would make Ice Cream run better on the GS2.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. If it works it will be a dollar well spent. I really didn't want to have to root my phone and go with a custom rom to have a feature that should have been there to begin with.

One question, he says in his xda thread that he can't get contact info from the facebook api. So this app just adds contacts but not contact information from facebook?

Edit: nevermind, it does NOT add contact information. It just adds a name and a picture to your contacts. That's nice, but I can't merge contacts or edit contacts that have been pulled from facebook, so I end up with two contacts for each friend. I have one contact for a friend from facebook which looks nice because of the photo, but I also have a second contact without a photo but that actually has the phone number that I manually entered.

Hmm,

I don't see duplicates. It just added the pictures to my phone and I am only choosing to show my google contacts in the people app.

How many times are you going to reiterate this? This is pretty much the same post as your first one, so we know how you feel about it. No one replied to it before for a reason. It definitely seems like you're trying to justify your purchase by comparing your (ROM'd) Epic Touch to the G-Nex. My co-worker has the Epic Touch also. It's totally stock/unrooted and performs exactly the same as my G-Nex side by side; they both are super smooth, but do lag for a split sec occasionally (I noticed the Epic touch skipping during app transitions occasionally too). So as of right now, the G-Nex has the functionality advantage of ICS while keeping the same real-world performance. As for the display, yes; I admit that it seems that the GS2 is a bit brighter and vibrant than the G-Nex, but I would trade that for the resolution real-estate any day just for the raw advantage of easily using full desktop websites on your phone without having to zoom/scroll everywhere. It's amazing how much that extra resolution adds to the browsing experience and anything else you need to read through on your phone.

Also, you can stop saying that the GS2 has a better GPU. Even if true, it wouldn't be enough to make noticeable difference a 2D hardware-accelerated environment and you can't compare them directly in 3D performance since they're both at completely different resolutions. But this post (I guess you missed that link before) does a good job of explaining the differences between the Mali and the SGX 540. They have their trade-offs, so one is not overall better than the other. I don't think either SoC will have a problem keeping up with games or other software in the next 18 months or so.

So we understand what your opinion is on the phone, you've stated it several times in the last few weeks on here. But this thread is for actual owners (that have actually used the phone for more than a few mins) to converse about experiences and issues that they're having with this phone. Not second hand stories about other people who have the phone.

The virtual keyboard is starting to annoy me. The OG Droid layout was perfect. Why the hell is there a search/voice button in the bottom left. Make that a comma or something. I use comma's all the time. I don't want to have to hit the alt button constantly. UGH.

The virtual keyboard is starting to annoy me. The OG Droid layout was perfect. Why the hell is there a search/voice button in the bottom left. Make that a comma or something. I use comma's all the time. I don't want to have to hit the alt button constantly. UGH.

Yeah, not liking the stupid voice button. I'm gonna search around for a mod or something to remove it.

Press space instead of punctuation. The auto-predict has the other common punctuation marks, besides period. Comma is right in the middle.

there are so many keyboards available in the market this should never be a problem

Yeah, not liking the stupid voice button. I'm gonna search around for a mod or something to remove it.

there are so many keyboards available in the market this should never be a problem

Do you all never look around in the settings? :p

Settings > Language & input > Android keyboard (settings button on right side) > Voice input key > select *On symbols Keyboard* or *off*. Now the voice key is a comma! :eek:

;)

Settings > Language & input > Android keyboard (settings button on right side) > Voice input key > select *On symbols Keyboard* or *off*. Now the voice key is a comma! :eek:

;)

Yeah, you guys should look around more. ;)

That's much better. Comma is where it belongs.

Anyone notice their Nexus taking a long time to charge? Mine takes about 5 hours to fully charge and it is impossible to use while plugged in. It gets ridiculously hot. It shut down Angry Birds after 10 minutes while charging I'm guessing due to the heat. I'm only getting about 6 hours of moderate usage out of the battery.

Outside of the battery life, I love everything about this phone.

Anyone notice their Nexus taking a long time to charge? Mine takes about 5 hours to fully charge and it is impossible to use while plugged in. It gets ridiculously hot. It shut down Angry Birds after 10 minutes while charging I'm guessing due to the heat. I'm only getting about 6 hours of moderate usage out of the battery.

Quite odd. I was playing Angry Birds Rio the other night while charging for a good hour at least. It does occasionally get warm around the camera area of the phone, but I've never had it shut down an application over it.

I have had the phone bootloop on me twice while playing around in the Maps app and once while just typing an e-mail. Not sure if it's hardware or a rouge app/service I have running in the background. I tried to take it back to the Verizon store last night, but I didn't have the damn box and accessories that come with it, so they wouldn't switch it out. I'm going to take it back later this week to switch it out.

I get at least 8-9 hours of battery life out of it though with moderate-heavy usage. GTalk/SMS throughout the day, e-mail, Wordfeud and occasional browsing. I work the middle of a building where cell signal is weak too. I ordered the extended battery over the weekend with 2 day shipping. Hopefully it'll get here soon.

;)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/...99/693/disgusted-mother-of-god.png?1321272571
disgusted-mother-of-god.png

I was just thinking about that option.

With the included charger+cable, I've noticed it charges really quickly. I've read that from others, too.

Sigh...

Quite odd. I was playing Angry Birds Rio the other night while charging for a good hour at least. It does occasionally get warm around the camera area of the phone, but I've never had it shut down an application over it.

I have had the phone bootloop on me twice while playing around in the Maps app and once while just typing an e-mail. Not sure if it's hardware or a rouge app/service I have running in the background. I tried to take it back to the Verizon store last night, but I didn't have the damn box and accessories that come with it, so they wouldn't switch it out. I'm going to take it back later this week to switch it out.

I get at least 8-9 hours of battery life out of it though with moderate-heavy usage. GTalk/SMS throughout the day, e-mail, Wordfeud and occasional browsing. I work the middle of a building where cell signal is weak too. I ordered the extended battery over the weekend with 2 day shipping. Hopefully it'll get here soon.

I may go exchange mine and grab an extended battery as well. Where did you order yours from?

Sounds like something might be wrong. Mine never gets hot.

Back