Official Galaxy Nexus Thread

T4rd

Fully [H]
Since this phone is no longer in "rumor" status and will officially launch tomorrow :)D); this thread is for owners to converse about their experience with the phone and help each other out as we learn our way around ICS and what tricks to know since this is a considerable improvement and difference from the Android we've known on our phones of the last 2-3 years.

Be sure to post what you like and what you don't like (compared to your previous phone(s)) so that when interested buyers read the thread, they get a good idea of what to expect from the phone and how it compares to everything else :).

I don't get mine until after work tomorrow :(. But I'm upgrading from an OG Droid, so I really think this will be a significant upgrade in every respect, lol. I can't wait to have a phone that lasts more than a few hours on charge, can actually multitask and have an enjoyable web experience with :cool:.

I'll be grabbing mine tomorrow and will post my experience with it coming from the 4s.

So should I be expecting some soft of discounts after Christmas? I need a new phone, but $300? Not so much, lol.

So should I be expecting some soft of discounts after Christmas? I need a new phone, but $300? Not so much, lol.

I am kind of in the same boat. I have to get a new battery for my T-Bolt so I can give it to my wife in good conscious and then another $300 for this is getting pretty excessive for me. I paid $250 for the T-Bolt and I walked a little bowl legged after that.

My dad and I are grabbing ours tomorrow morning. He's been using his original Droid with a shattered screen for a month waiting for this damn thing to launch.

Picking mine up tomorrow after work. I managed to get the authorized retailer down the road from my house to hold one for me until I get off. He said they only got 4 phones in, but I was just the second person to ask about buying it tomorrow. He put a sticky on the box with my info, so I guess that one is officially mine at 3:00pm!

I was going to go to a corporate store, but I think demand for this phone is higher than VZW thinks. I was having doubts that there would be any left by the time I could get there.

Just out of curiosity, for those picking these up from B&M verizon stores, what is the price? Every verizon store I've been in usually charges more than the online prices (ie: razr for $379 vs $300 online).

Just out of curiosity, for those picking these up from B&M verizon stores, what is the price? Every verizon store I've been in usually charges more than the online prices (ie: razr for $379 vs $300 online).

$299. Im picking mine up when they open the door tomorrow. I talked to the girl about it for a bit earlier and I did confirm the price.

...But I'm upgrading from an OG Droid, so I really think this will be a significant upgrade in every respect, lol. I can't wait to have a phone that lasts more than a few hours on charge, can actually multitask and have an enjoyable web experience with :cool:.

Upgrading from an OG Droid?! Wow, you're in for an experience!

Upgrading from an OG Droid?! Wow, you're in for an experience!

Haha, indeed. I've been holding onto my NE2 upgrade ($50 discount) since June just for this phone. No phone (on Verizon) since the Droid has met my phone criteria; stock Android, unlocked bootloader and guaranteed support/updates in a timely manner. The Droid was the closest thing to a Nexus phone on Verizon until the end of its life cycle, IMO. It debuted 2.0/2.1 Eclair and didn't lag too far behind the Nexus One as far as updates, esp. if you were rooted. The Xperia Play almost convinced me to buy it just for stock Android and an unlocked bootloader, but I couldn't convince myself that the specs were worth it (400 MB internal storage?! and it's about the same as an Incredible 2 with less RAM).

But yeah, the G-Nex is literally over 4x the hardware as my Droid, lol. OMAP 3430 @ 550 MHz (usually ran mine at 1.1 GHz though) & 256 MBs RAM vs OMAP 4460 @ 1.2 GHz dual core & 1 GB RAM :eek:. Not to mention how much more efficient ICS is compared to 2.2/2.3, esp. with Hardware Acceleration supported throughout the OS now. Moore's Law has definitely been in effect in the smartphone market in the last 2 years.

Edit: Up on Amazon for $199 w/ new contract or $250 for renewal/upgrade.

Also, Letstalk has it for $155 w/ new contract or $175 for renewal/upgrade. I might see if Verizon will match this for me tomorrow. I got them to match Best Buy for my wife's Droid when we got it. But that's a B&M store too.

Last edited:
Doesn't it make sense to wait for some decent reviews before splurging on this?

There are several reviews out for the GSM variant already and the majority of them are stellar reviews. The only differences might be battery life and signal/voice quality. Battery life shouldn't be much different though considering the Verizon version has a slightly higher rated battery (1850 mAh vs 1750 mAh on GSM), so it should cancel out. This version is .5mm thicker too, but that seems pretty negligible.

DAMNIT. I got that email and was in process of ordering it via verizon's site for $250. While doing this GF walks in the room and I'm like "OMG MY PHONE IS FINALLY OUT AS OF A FEW MINUTSE AGO!!! I'm getting free 2 day shipping!" and she looks at me and says "You're buying yourself things at Christmas?" and looked really mad. @:I@#@#: ... I AM SO CONFLICTED. I still got my original droid.

DAMNIT. I got that email and was in process of ordering it via verizon's site for $250. While doing this GF walks in the room and I'm like "OMG MY PHONE IS FINALLY OUT AS OF A FEW MINUTSE AGO!!! I'm getting free 2 day shipping!" and she looks at me and says "You're buying yourself things at Christmas?" and looked really mad. @:I@#@#: ... I AM SO CONFLICTED. I still got my original droid.

Your girl the kind who would know you want this, and how to obtain one? If not, get it yourself. And if so, wait another week, maybe.

As for outdated upgrades, I've still got my damn BB Tour, never owned a phone with wifi before :eek:.

The store wouldn't match the loyalty discount on the Verizon site, so I ended up ordering. Now for the wait.

Should could be getting it for you or... she could be mad you didn't spend the 3 large on her LOLOLOL

anyone else think the full retail on verizon of $649 seem on the lowish side?

Yes and no - it's less than others are asking, but think about it.. You have to keep your VZ service to use it and are still paying for the subsidy in your bill every month so you might as well just go for the $299 deal - Even if you decide to can it later the $350 ETF in addition to the $300 for the device is still $650.... probably no tax on the ETF though?

Sitting outside the store spending some quality final minutes with my DX. I'm going to miss the old girl...

But not really :D

Haha, indeed. I've been holding onto my NE2 upgrade ($50 discount) since June just for this phone. No phone (on Verizon) since the Droid has met my phone criteria; stock Android, unlocked bootloader and guaranteed support/updates in a timely manner. The Droid was the closest thing to a Nexus phone on Verizon until the end of its life cycle, IMO. It debuted 2.0/2.1 Eclair and didn't lag too far behind the Nexus One as far as updates, esp. if you were rooted. The Xperia Play almost convinced me to buy it just for stock Android and an unlocked bootloader, but I couldn't convince myself that the specs were worth it (400 MB internal storage?! and it's about the same as an Incredible 2 with less RAM).

But yeah, the G-Nex is literally over 4x the hardware as my Droid, lol. OMAP 3430 @ 550 MHz (usually ran mine at 1.1 GHz though) & 256 MBs RAM vs OMAP 4460 @ 1.2 GHz dual core & 1 GB RAM :eek:. Not to mention how much more efficient ICS is compared to 2.2/2.3, esp. with Hardware Acceleration supported throughout the OS now. Moore's Law has definitely been in effect in the smartphone market in the last 2 years.

Edit: Up on Amazon for $199 w/ new contract or $250 for renewal/upgrade.

Also, Letstalk has it for $155 w/ new contract or $175 for renewal/upgrade. I might see if Verizon will match this for me tomorrow. I got them to match Best Buy for my wife's Droid when we got it. But that's a B&M store too.

Anyone see how to keep the unlimited data plan if ordering from letstalk? I'm adding a line to my wife's plan and it doesn't give me the option to keep the current plan.

I want to get one just to play with, my iPhone 4S is my primary. As a geek, what's not to love!? :)

15 people in line at the verizon store near me, I am 13.

Went to a corporate store in an affluent area where the average age is about 65 (seriously) There were only 3 of us in line for the Nexus - I was first and got mine @ 900 this morning

Went to a corporate store in an affluent area where the average age is about 65 (seriously) There were only 3 of us in line for the Nexus - I was first and got mine @ 900 this morning

This store is understaffed right now, they didn't get official word from Verizon until after the press release so they couldn't schedule more employees by that time. Apparently they have a few people coming in but traffic in DC is terrible. Currently taking about 15 minutes per person.

Got mine. This is nice. Glad I waited.

Everything is is just butter smooth and so fast.

EDIT: AND THE SCREEN!

Anyone see how to keep the unlimited data plan if ordering from letstalk? I'm adding a line to my wife's plan and it doesn't give me the option to keep the current plan.

From the post on droid-life:
If you want to keep your current plan, add the galaxy nexus to your cart (at 12:00 am pst) then move your mouse to the top where it has your Cart, then the galaxy nexus should pop up, click on the "add/edit services" and switch from 2 gb plan to "Upgrades Only - Keep My Current Data Feature" and you will keep your unlimited data

Took me a little while to figure this out, but when you go to the add/edit services you actually have to click the Add to Cart button on the service option and THEN you will see the option for a $0.00 keep existing plan option.

This is a tough one to sit through..I really want a new phone (another Droid1 owner) but I want to see some more legit reviews of it and a comparison to the Droid 4. Hopefully the D4 isn't too far off, I can hold out just a tad longer til after christmas so I'm hoping there's still some good deals after launch.

Screenshot_2011-12-15-09-57-42.png

Holy piss.

This is a tough one to sit through..I really want a new phone (another Droid1 owner) but I want to see some more legit reviews of it and a comparison to the Droid 4. Hopefully the D4 isn't too far off, I can hold out just a tad longer til after Christmas so I'm hoping there's still some good deals after launch.

From what I've seen so far the Droid 4 just looks like a Razr with a keyboard. And to be honest from the pic I saw of the keyboard I don't think I would like it. Many might criticize the OG Droid's keyboard but IMO it had the best layout.

I must say the Nexus is a bit of an anti-climax. Like many I was sucked into the hype and waited anxiously for this supposed top of the line phone but the reports tend to suggest it's good but not great and the major selling point is the ICS software. I look forward to more reviews of since the Verizon release and more info from all of you.

I must say the Nexus is a bit of an anti-climax. Like many I was sucked into the hype and waited anxiously for this supposed top of the line phone but the reports tend to suggest it's good but not great and the major selling point is the ICS software. I look forward to more reviews of since the Verizon release and more info from all of you.

I havent had it for long but so far it is honestly everything I expected from it, then some. Everything just flows on it. Its a really great experience.

Ok, so I got my Nexus this morning. (thank goodness for flexible work hours... looks like I'll be in late tonight. worth it.)

There is an OTA update already. Does anybody know anything about this? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with what Verizon was cooking up while delaying the launch for so long. Or is this something from google?

Back