Oculus Rift Owners Thread

If anybody plays Rec Room, they added Laser Tag. It is pretty fun.

So I bought mine mainly for the virtual desktop and having multiple screens. However, I have played nothing but robo recall and my legs/neck are killing me. I thought I was somewhat in shape but no..... Also, I just installed the 3rd sensor today. Total difference.

Edit:spelling

I haven't woke up in the middle.of the night wanting to play games since Diablo 2 first came out.

If you are on the fence about resolution, don't fret. Just get a headset now and go to town. By the time the next iteration comes out, you will need a new PC.

So I bought mine mainly for the virtual desktop and having multiple screens. However, I have played nothing but robo recall and my legs/neck are killing me. I thought I was somewhat in shape but no..... Also, I just installed the 3rd sensor today. Total difference.

VR will absolutely rock as a substitute for monitors (ala virtual desktop), but I predict we are at least one if not two generations out still for the technology to mature to the point that it needs to be at visually (resolution increases, lens improvements, removal of SDE, etc.) to make this practical or even preferable over using a monitor for productivity. For gaming now though, VR is pretty much kicking ass and taking names... and it will only get better with each successive generation that arrives.

VR will absolutely rock as a substitute for monitors (ala virtual desktop), but I predict we are at least one if not two generations out still for the technology to mature to the point that it needs to be at visually (resolution increases, lens improvements, removal of SDE, etc.) to make this practical or even preferable over using a monitor for productivity. For gaming now though, VR is pretty much kicking ass and taking names... and it will only get better with each successive generation that arrives.

I'm really digging it. I had to disable SLI because my Samsung 4k doesn't like a display port to HDMI. So I have 3 screens on one 980ti and the headset on another. It's still perfect and no nausea or headaches from the moment I put it on.

I have bought the virtual desktop.but haven't tried it out yet. I'll give it a shot this week before I go all in on games for another 48hrs this weekend!

I'm really digging it. I had to disable SLI because my Samsung 4k doesn't like a display port to HDMI. So I have 3 screens on one 980ti and the headset on another. It's still perfect and no nausea or headaches from the moment I put it on.

I have bought the virtual desktop.but haven't tried it out yet. I'll give it a shot this week before I go all in on games for another 48hrs this weekend!

I also picked up Virtual Desktop last year and while the software is most excellent as to its design and function and the developer is also very active with it, the current state of VR limitations as to resolution when it comes to effectively displaying text is what keeps it from being practical as a productivity tool. Windowed text has to be zoomed in quite a bit to be useful, and doing so puts a wall of text right in front of your face - like standing less than a foot away from a big screen TV. (Think a normal 2D 1080P desktop, but scaled up 600%.) It's just not practical yet for productivity purposes, but OK for viewing video. I think VR Gen 2 will start to be usable, if not ideal for this, but by Gen 3, we will begin throwing out our normal 2D monitors.

I also picked up Virtual Desktop last year and while the software is most excellent as to its design and function and the developer is also very active with it, the current state of VR limitations as to resolution when it comes to effectively displaying text is what keeps it from being practical as a productivity tool. Windowed text has to be zoomed in quite a bit to be useful, and doing so puts a wall of text right in front of your face - like standing less than a foot away from a big screen TV. (Think a normal 2D 1080P desktop, but scaled up 600%.) It's just not practical yet for productivity purposes, but OK for viewing video. I think VR Gen 2 will start to be usable, if not ideal for this, but by Gen 3, we will begin throwing out our normal 2D monitors.
There was an update to Virtual Desktop and it actually looks pretty good now. Much better than when it first came out that is for sure.

There was an update to Virtual Desktop and it actually looks pretty good now. Much better than when it first came out that is for sure.

Yup, that's why I said "the developer is also very active with it", by which I meant to imply that the developer updates and continually improves it on a regular basis. (I have it purchased both on SteamVR and in the Oculus store and use it with the Rift and Vive.)

Unfortunately, Virtual Desktop and its developer cannot code around the physical resolution limits that VR Gen 1 currently imposes when it comes to displaying text. You either have to squint really hard, guess a lot and grin and bear it, or zoom into "clown shoe" sized text to make things readable. But for light browsing, youtube, watching videos, playing older games in a virtual window, etc, it works great.

Yup, that's why I said "the developer is also very active with it", by which I meant to imply that the developer updates and continually improves it on a regular basis. (I have it purchased both on SteamVR and in the Oculus store and use it with the Rift and Vive.)

Unfortunately, Virtual Desktop and its developer cannot code around the physical resolution limits that VR Gen 1 currently imposes when it comes to displaying text. You either have to squint really hard, guess a lot and grin and bear it, or zoom into "clown shoe" sized text to make things readable. But for light browsing, youtube, watching videos, playing older games in a virtual window, etc, it works great.
I think it looks pretty good even with my old eyes. I can read it no problem. Have you tried it recently? There were several updates.

Try opening a large spreadsheet or a full page word document and actually using them in VR with Virtual Desktop. You'll soon discover the limitations I speak of.

Finally pulled the trigger yesterday on the Oculus. Need to pick up a dvi to hdmi adapter though as my Samsung 4k would detect the display port to hdmi adapter I have for some reason. Played Robo Recall for a bit. Loving it so far, the immersion is great!

Played dead and buried last night... fun and intense. Anyone else get a little nauseous playing luckys tale?... i hate the camera movement.

Played dead and buried last night... fun and intense. Anyone else get a little nauseous playing luckys tale?... i hate the camera movement.

Yes, it was one of the first things I played and I was always confused why they'd give that thing away.

"here's what VR can do! ...a platformer that is the quality of a ps2 licensed game that will make you queasy!"

Yes, it was one of the first things I played and I was always confused why they'd give that thing away.

"here's what VR can do! ...a platformer that is the quality of a ps2 licensed game that will make you queasy!"

I really like the game... its like playing mario 64 but actually being inside the game, but that camera takes some getting used to. Maybe if you could rotate the camera or zoom in and out... but just being dragged along makes me queasy

Just realized my set updated to Core 2.0 I havent looked at it yet...anyone have feedback?

Just realized my set updated to Core 2.0 I havent looked at it yet...anyone have feedback?

I like it, nice to be able to bring it up mid-game and have access to the desktop. I was also surprised at the legibility - I have my main screen set to 1080p and it duplicated that and spreadsheets etc. were legible and usable on there (suprisingly). You could use it for productivity if you wanted, but probably wouldn't do it as first choice.

I like it, nice to be able to bring it up mid-game and have access to the desktop. I was also surprised at the legibility - I have my main screen set to 1080p and it duplicated that and spreadsheets etc. were legible and usable on there (suprisingly). You could use it for productivity if you wanted, but probably wouldn't do it as first choice.

Great thanks.

If anybody plays Rec Room, they added Laser Tag. It is pretty fun.
I just started to play that after being immersed in Elite Dangerous for a while. Man, the controls are not easy to master using them hand controllers

Last edited:
Totally agree Wulff1e before getting my rift Ive never used controlrs its always been mouse/keyboard. Tell you what if they werent marked as they are I would be totally lost.
It is fun learning something completly new.
Im having a blast with vive video watching movies in 3d is a hoot, never saw a 3d movie. Gotta say Im spending too much time in google earth w/ streetview.
revisiting all the places Ive been on this planet. Dont know how old the pictures are in street view but its still interesting. Wonder how long till we have live street view? Now that would be something.

Totally agree Wulff1e before getting my rift Ive never used controlrs its always been mouse/keyboard. Tell you what if they werent marked as they are I would be totally lost.
It is fun learning something completly new.
I'm having a blast with vive video watching movies in 3d is a hoot, never saw a 3d movie. Gotta say Im spending too much time in google earth w/ streetview.
revisiting all the places Ive been on this planet. Dont know how old the pictures are in street view but its still interesting. Wonder how long till we have live street view? Now that would be something.

After 2 days out of my spaceship and giving up HOTAS controllers I am finding it fun to rumble about in the VR playrooms, I have to say content is still poor but the possibilities are endless. I have two large screen LG 3D tv's and we have watched in 3D minimally, somewhat dissapointed with the whole 3D TV experince. However VR is a different bag and is the way forward, I am going to watch our limited 3D BluRay film collection in VR starting with Avatar, My only issue up to now is that I need a cooling fan on to keep fogging at a minimum with extended usage. Oh, I have bruised knees and a lot of broken cups etc on my desktop the VR is so damn real, that the "Real World" is an offensive intruder in my new virtual reality. lol I hope the wife doesnt check out how much I sepent on my new PC build to make this thing work......... Perhaps I can get a Virtual wife soon..Let's not go there just yet....

Watch out what you wish for Wulff1e you just might get it... but would be interesting.. and cost much less than a girl friend/ wife.

I just got my third sensor from Best Buy and NO extension cable was included and they had no idea what the hell I was even talking about. After some googling I see this is a common problem from places like Best Buy for a year now. How the hell long does it take Oculus to figure out a better way of sending out the sensors to a third party to sell? The way it's done now means the extension and the sensor are separated before it's even sent to the store for pick up. Now I have a third sensor with no f****** way of even hooking it up thanks the combined incompetence of Oculus and Best Buy.

Wait, if you buy third sensor directly from Oculus does it come with extension cable?

Wait, if you buy third sensor directly from Oculus does it come with extension cable?
Yes it comes with a Monoprice 5 meter USB 2.0 extension cable and it always has. There have been unboxing videos for a year now and it says its included on the Oculus site.

Yes it comes with a Monoprice 5 meter USB 2.0 extension cable and it always has. There have been unboxing videos for a year now and it says its included on the Oculus site.

Well damn, I ordered a couple of USB extensions from Aliexpress for nothing then.

Well damn, I ordered a couple of USB extensions from Aliexpress for nothing then.
use it for your HMD? I use a 10ft USB and HDMI extension cables to give my rift more moving around room without worrying about my cord.

use it for your HMD? I use a 10ft USB and HDMI extension cables to give my rift more moving around room without worrying about my cord.

Same here, but I only went with 6ft extentions. Also, for the Rift’s camera sensors, I ordered USB extension cables (both active and passive) as well as a USB 3.0 port expansion card a few weeks after placing my Rift preorder. Had all the cables waiting months before the Rift arrived. Went with Amazon basics and Monoprice cables, so they were also fairly inexpensive. My 3rd camera (ordered directly from Oculus) also came with a usb extension cable, so I was pretty much swimming in USB cables. Came in handy hooking up/extending my simulation racing/flight rig though.

Last edited:
My god does Oculus have some piddly ass slow support. I provided them with all the info they needed on Thursday and essentially all they have said is "Please give us some time to look into this for you".

My god does Oculus have some piddly ass slow support. I provided them with all the info they needed on Thursday and essentially all they have said is "Please give us some time to look into this for you".

FYI - That’s basically the helpdesks/support folks way of sending out the equivalent of a noop to reset the ticket to keep it from getting flagging as aging too long in the support queue.... It’s the holidays, you are going to get fuck-all as to support right now. Deal with it.

FYI - That’s basically the helpdesks/support folks way of sending out the equivalent of a noop to reset the ticket to keep it from getting flagging as aging too long in the support queue.... It’s the holidays, you are going to get fuck-all as to support right now. Deal with it.
It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the holidays as supposedly their support is 24 hours a day including weekends and holidays. This is just typical of them according to an Oculus staff member that replied on the Forum thread when I complained and he said it will take several days usually to reply.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with the holidays as supposedly their support is 24 hours a day including weekends and holidays. This is just typical of them according to an Oculus staff member that replied on the Forum thread when I complained and he said it will take several days usually to reply.

Not that this helps you in any way just more for general knowledge to help people make decisions on the product.

I had an issue with the Rift several months ago. Rift stopped working. I had a black screen with headset on. If I click Oculus icon from desktop I get an "Error
Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service".

The way I remembered it I had received excellent support service. At the time I had thought I would post up that the service was good to inform others. Unfortunately, like most of us, I didn't make it a priority to let people know I had a good service experience like I would have if it had been bad.

I went back and looked at the e-mail trail. I contacted them on 4/15. They responded on 4/15. I responded to that mail same day, 4/15. They responded back same day, 4/15. Because I didn't have time to do the set of instructions the issue carried over to 4/16. I sent a mail to them letting them know every thing they prescribed worked but one minor annoyance that my games installed any more but set was working. I told them thanks and I would reload the games. They responded again on the same day to let me know I may have missed a step and the reloading of games wasn't necessary either. They then helped me with that on the same day.

Maybe I got lucky but when I needed customer support I found their team to be much more responsive than the majority of companies I've dealt with as far as support goes.

I too have received excellent support from Oculus in the past (had an entire faulty unit replaced), but it still took a bit of time and patience.

If you expect “A Team” support over the holidays, and are bitchng and whining here because you are not receiving it, you are fucking clueless.

I too have received excellent support from Oculus in the past (had an entire faulty unit replaced), but it still took a bit of time and patience.

If you expect “A Team” support over the holidays, and are bitchng and whining here because you are not receiving it, you are fucking clueless.
Of course I would expect slower customer service close to a holiday but maybe fucking learn to read before running your smart-ass mouth. This started last Thursday and as I just told you even an Oculus staff member said the weekend or holiday would make little difference as they are normally slow no matter what. He flat out said it could take several days to respond sometimes which of course is ridiculous.

Last edited:
^^^^ So why whine about it like a little bitch here? Are you looking for sympathy? What’s the fucking point of your post? You’ve just now come to an epiphany that tech support Is slow and wanted to share it with us?! :rolleyes:

^^^^ So why whine about it like a little bitch here? Are you looking for sympathy? What’s the fucking point of your post? You’ve just now come to an epiphany that tech support Is slow and wanted to share it with us?! :rolleyes:

He should of just told us what the problem was to see if we could help..

There's also a Oculus forum where he can ask for help as well.

Back