Oculus Rift Owners Thread

They changed the way Thrill of the Fight works. Much more fun to play. It is a really good game for working out.

Ordered a new foam piece for the HMD insert. The piece around the nose wore out and I had to cut it out for now. Kind of nice since I can see below me and make sure no cats are there..... :)

I finally had a situation where the cable came slightly unplugged from the HMD. The HMD was working and then when I picked it up again several minutes later it was dark and Ocullus software showed it as disconnected. I rebooted the machine and then I remembered someone saying the main bundle is replaceable and sure enough it was slightly popped out behind the face mask. But from just looking at it the HMD, you wouldn't notice the problem.

I've been concerned about the long term wear of the soft fabric around the lenses. Mine is already starting to show wear where a persons nose bridge is (so right in the middle between the lenses). It doesn't look like a easily replaceable thing.

bG2V1pQ.jpg

I've been concerned about the long term wear of the soft fabric around the lenses. Mine is already starting to show wear where a persons nose bridge is (so right in the middle between the lenses). It doesn't look like a easily replaceable thing.

bG2V1pQ.jpg
Big nose? Haha. No wear on mine there. I have not checked on anything of that level. It does indeed look non replaceable. Time to do some checking!

One link I found so far.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43774/hmd-fabric-pilling-balling-up-any-ideas

Big nose? Haha. No wear on mine there. I have not checked on anything of that level. It does indeed look non replaceable. Time to do some checking!

One link I found so far.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/43774/hmd-fabric-pilling-balling-up-any-ideas

4 and 7 year olds, so their face disappears inside the HMD. I actually don't play it that much due to adult stuff always getting in the way of games (though the Switch has proven to work well for me).

And yes.....the glass gets rattled a lot :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

tKYJZr1.jpg

This is my 4 year old. She has a small towel she uses on the back of her head to make the strap fit. (looks like a hair bow in the picture)

And yes.....the glass gets rattled a lot :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

tKYJZr1.jpg

This is my 4 year old. She has a small towel she uses on the back of her head to make the strap fit. (looks like a hair bow in the picture)
Wow. Yeah, that glass is close! How does she like the Rift(VR) compared to a 2D game/setup?

Wow. Yeah, that glass is close! How does she like the Rift(VR) compared to a 2D game/setup?

She has only recently gotten into normal gaming like lego games and minecraft. We have the "mini" Xbox One controllers for her. But I think it's still too many buttons for her to figure out and reach. The Touch controllers are still too big for her, she can't really reach the A/B buttons very well. But, being a girly girl, she really likes the cooking games since it's like playing kitchen. She plays Job Simulator and Counter Fight the most. Basically the more slow natured games that can rely on just grabbing and pointing, Pierhead Arcade has been a popular one as well. Ocean Rift and BLU as well since girls like dolphins and whales and stuff.

I think there is a really big untapped market here for kids cartoons type stuff. I have been looking more at the "experience" genre in the store, like the interactive stories. But most are more adult orientated. Something like a Phineas and Ferb where you are actually in the scene with them would probably go over really well. Being able to experience all the crazyness, but not relying on reaction or problem solving, just watching. Choose your own story type stuff would work.

They changed the way Thrill of the Fight works. Much more fun to play. It is a really good game for working out.

Just tried this today. Had to throw in the towel heading into third round of the ugly joe fight. I was up 2-0 on the score card but was too gassed to finish the 3rd round. I started out swinging way too hard! Tons of fun and a great workout.

Has anyone changed their cache amount on the Google Earth VR app and what did you set it to? I changed mine yesterday and also changed my SSampling number to 1.1.

Has anyone changed their cache amount on the Google Earth VR app and what did you set it to? I changed mine yesterday and also changed my SSampling number to 1.1.
I have mine set to 1.5 or 1.6.

tKYJZr1.jpg

The Rift is as big as her head :LOL:

I love the Retro gaming cabinet :) It's awesome. Surprised the glass hasn't been broken several times already.

Has anyone checked out Sansar? It's from the folks that did second life.

https://www.sansar.com/
Not I. I am waiting for a huge leap in resolution. The controllers on the Rift work just fine for me so it's about the head unit.

Also has anybody played Paranormal Activity:The Lost Soul on VR? It is pretty dam freaky. It gives me chills when crap pops out......Sounds..... Oh ya.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
BladeRunner 2049 Memory Lab is out today and it's Free.

Really well done, just finished it. Worth a free ride.

Last edited:
Guess it a stupid question but i have to ask.
Lets say i'm playing Project cars 2 with Rift. If i lower the resolution in the game so the monitor shows i smaller window of the game, will the resolution change on the Rift as well?
If so, what's the best resolution regarding performance/graphic?

Nope. The image size stays the same in VR. Unlike a typical LCD monitor, displayed resolution within the Rift/Vive is fixed. You can have some programs render at a higher resolution and then downsample for display in VR (called supersampling) to get better looking graphics that don't suffer from introduced rendering artifacts, but this requires a lot of grunt from your GPU - and the displayed resolution is still fixed. If you have a beefy enough GPU, supersampling can really improve visuals dramatically, especially as to displayed text. As to recommended settings for VR for particular games, I usually google what others have tried and stated works best and then expirement myself from there. Many of the more recent VR games are pretty good at dialing themselves in based on your current hardware.

Thanks for a awesome answer :)
Did some googleing and seen several that recommends various resolution all from 720 to 1920.

Guess it a stupid question but i have to ask.
Lets say i'm playing Project cars 2 with Rift. If i lower the resolution in the game so the monitor shows i smaller window of the game, will the resolution change on the Rift as well?
If so, what's the best resolution regarding performance/graphic?

I don't think it's possible to change the monitor resolution - what it does is display the left (usually) eye view to the monitor pre optical warp, so there's little to no overhead as it's displaying the same rendered view the left eye sees. It's not being rendered independently. There are some games that let you render a different view to the screen (thrill of the fight for one) but that does increase load on the gpu since it's not just mirroring one of the rendered views in the headset and has to render a 3rd view of the scene.

Earlier Oculus versions let you change the resolution (DK1 and DK2), but CV1 is fixed.

Finished Killing Floor Incursion. It was good but with quite a few of the games, it was short. I finished 2 of the 7 endings in Duck Season.
The new foam insert is working good. No more tickling my nose....

New Oculus owner here and my god, this thing is the best invention ever! A little bit of squeezy feeling in my stomach in quickly moving scenes but I think I can tough it out eventually just as I can read in a car after getting used to period.

And yeah, horror games are going to be amazing. Just tried a Face Your Fears free demo and after 5 minutes I decided Nope, thats enough for now. My pulse is high as it is after long day at work. :D I can't wait to try Alien Isolation with this though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Youn
like this
New Oculus owner here and my god, this thing is the best invention ever! A little bit of squeezy feeling in my stomach in quickly moving scenes but I think I can tough it out eventually just as I can read in a car after getting used to period.

And yeah, horror games are going to be amazing. Just tried a Face Your Fears free demo and after 5 minutes I decided Nope, thats enough for now. My pulse is high as it is after long day at work. :D I can't wait to try Alien Isolation with this though!

Welcome to the club!

It is quite something those first few days. You'll quickly want to try everything in the store which is the major downside at the moment: not too much out there worth the money (in my opinion) due to the length of the experiences.

If you haven't tried RoboRecall yet, get to it!

Welcome to the club!

It is quite something those first few days. You'll quickly want to try everything in the store which is the major downside at the moment: not too much out there worth the money (in my opinion) due to the length of the experiences.

If you haven't tried RoboRecall yet, get to it!

It is on download queue already. :) I will also buy VorpX as soon as possible and try Fallout 4 at some point. Found a very good video on the youtube which explains how to set it up so it works well in VR. I will eventually get the official VR version too once it is released.

It is on download queue already. :) I will also buy VorpX as soon as possible and try Fallout 4 at some point. Found a very good video on the youtube which explains how to set it up so it works well in VR. I will eventually get the official VR version too once it is released.

I’ve read that VorpX is a really mixed bag and can be a real hassle as to configuration and results - so don’t get your hopes up too high with it!

As to free must haves, also be sure to check out Google Earth VR, The Lab, and Echo Arena.

As to first purchases, Lone Echo and Onward would be at the very top of my list. If you are into sims, Project Cars 2 and Elite Dangerous are also very good.

Last edited:
I’ve read that VorpX is a really mixed bag and can be a real hassle as to configuration and results - so don’t get your hopes up too high with it!

As to free must haves, also be sure to check out Google VR, The Lab, and Echo Arena.

As to first purchases, Lone Echo and Onward would be at the very top of my list. If you are into sims, Project Cars 2 and Elite Dangerous are also very good.
It worked great on Bioshock.

As to free must haves, also be sure to check out Google VR, The Lab, and Echo Arena.

I know, but the guy was very thorough in explaining how Vorpx works (1 hour long video) and then how to get it work in different games and what downsides / bugs to expect. I know it won't be a "good" but as long as I get an ordinary seated mouse+keyboard FPS experience with some head tracking and VR's sense of scale I think I will be happy.

Videos in question, first the Vorpx tutorial

and fallout 4 which is the first game I will try

I have also bought Project Cars 2, though I doubt I am going to play it today. It's just too big of a download for now with so many other things in queue before it. And thanks for the other recommendations. :)

Holy shit the Robo Recall was fun. I mean, it is not a good game for my current tastes (RPG player) but if you ever have a feeling you want to feel like a badass this is the game to play. Everything feels so fluid, you are naturally doing (clumsy) Matrix dodges and shooting robots with deadly accuracy, after a little training that is. While I am still skeptical about the teleportation in general in this game it feels rather natural and fits the hectic arcade shooter style like a glove. I will definetly play it again. I feel like this is going to be an excellent party game, with friends evaluating your silly looking "performance" and such. :p

Holy shit the Robo Recall was fun. I mean, it is not a good game for my current tastes (RPG player) but if you ever have a feeling you want to feel like a badass this is the game to play. Everything feels so fluid, you are naturally doing (clumsy) Matrix dodges and shooting robots with deadly accuracy, after a little training that is. While I am still skeptical about the teleportation in general in this game it feels rather natural and fits the hectic arcade shooter style like a glove. I will definetly play it again. I feel like this is going to be an excellent party game, with friends evaluating your silly looking "performance" and such. :p
Also Arizona Sunshine. I think I played it through 3x. Very fun.

I have VorpX and tried it on a load of different games, and retry them all when new updates come out. My recommendation, don't buy it. It's not worth it. Buy two proper VR games with the $40. There are loads of proper VR games out there. And the VR versions of Doom 3 and Alien Isolation are much better then playing through VorpX.

I have VorpX and tried it on a load of different games, and retry them all when new updates come out. My recommendation, don't buy it. It's not worth it. Buy two proper VR games with the $40. There are loads of proper VR games out there. And the VR versions of Doom 3 and Alien Isolation are much better then playing through VorpX.

Yeah but there does not seem to be that many proper m+kb experiences that I would be interested in, except maybe the Arizona Sunshine. And Minecraft VR except they screwed that game up by not allowing mouse look up and down, just left and right. Mictosoft, I don't want neck problems by looking straight up for long periods of time when chopping down trees, thank you.

After a quick check the great majority of games in the store are short shovelware stuff which I could not care less about. I will gamble with VorpX at some point and see what I can come up with.

Yeah but there does not seem to be that many proper m+kb experiences that I would be interested in, except maybe the Arizona Sunshine. And Minecraft VR except they screwed that game up by not allowing mouse look up and down, just left and right. Mictosoft, I don't want neck problems by looking straight up for long periods of time when chopping down trees, thank you.

After a quick check the great majority of games in the store are short shovelware stuff which I could not care less about. I will gamble with VorpX at some point and see what I can come up with.

If you check reddit, the majority of people who actually bought Vorpx don't think it's that good. YMMV of course.

You only want to play games that use the mouse and keyboard???

If you check reddit, the majority of people who actually bought Vorpx don't think it's that good. YMMV of course.

You only want to play games that use the mouse and keyboard???

Either m+kb or gamepad, former just happens to be my preferred method. First person, sitdown experience and NO TELEPORTATION is what I am looking for. With my minecraft VR testing it only two minutes of getting used to it, nausea was gone and experience got wonderfully immersive until the lack of full mouse look started to piss me off.

So I know I can take "locomotion" (i think thats the term to describe it in VR?) with ease and Oculus can technically deliver the experience so the question is what other games do give what I want?

Frankly, standing up and waving around with Touch is far, far secondary. As awesome as Robo Recall was it is still what I consider a gimmick game. A Kinect 3.0 game (though done right this time) that is fun for one hour at the time but you get bired of it sooner than later. I have hard time figuring out how can you binge game with Touch standing up.
Though there is also possibility of using Touch sitting down but I have not played that way yet so I have no idea how that might work.

Either m+kb or gamepad, former just happens to be my preferred method. First person, sitdown experience and NO TELEPORTATION is what I am looking for. With my minecraft VR testing it only two minutes of getting used to it, nausea was gone and experience got wonderfully immersive until the lack of full mouse look started to piss me off.

So I know I can take "locomotion" (i think thats the term to describe it in VR?) with ease and Oculus can technically deliver the experience so the question is what other games do give what I want?

Frankly, standing up and waving around with Touch is far, far secondary. As awesome as Robo Recall was it is still what I consider a gimmick game. A Kinect 3.0 game (though done right this time) that is fun for one hour at the time but you get bired of it sooner than later. I have hard time figuring out how can you binge game with Touch standing up.
Though there is also possibility of using Touch sitting down but I have not played that way yet so I have no idea how that might work.
Ewww. Playing on a keyboard and mouse?! That is so old school retro.......

Full motion is the only way to go! Even though Robo Recall wasn't I still enjoyed it a lot.

Heh, maybe I got overconfident with the nausea thing. Minecraft did stop giving me nausea (and I had it on "intense mode from the start") and Project Cars 2 was not too bad, but now that I tried Deus Ex Mankind Divided VR Experience demo it was instant nausea-city. Dunno if it had something to do with using controller instead of mouse for turning but I have to stop using VR for this day, my head is spinning like crazy. :)

Back