Nvidia Titan V

I'm curious what the heck you're mining that would justify spending that much on one card.

I'd love to have one for gaming, I guess, but I'm not seeing the case being made for using it to mine cryptocurrency. Like, it's fast, yeah, but it doesn't sound like it's $3K fast, unless you're really, really desperate.

Well I just started mining. But ... my 3 cards added together, 1080ti x2 plus 1070 puts out roughly half or a little more than half of what a TitanV can do. I am pending price fluctuations and my personal mining tempo, due for about 550-700 range this month, with a Titan V thrown on top of that I could be making 1500 +- or even more a month. In two months at that rate the mining would pay for the Titan and then its straight profit.

For instance since yesterday at around 4pm until the timestamp of posting this I made $22 USD in coin. Even with the market losing value today slightly. Adding a Titan V would gain me, the $22.00 from my existing 3 GPUs and then another $30-35 USD on top of that for a (hypotethical) 50+ USD a day. Multiply that times 30, pending stability, thats about $1500/month or $18,000/yr minus around $45/mon power bill extra. I could add more and more cards as time moves on to the point of making double that in a year. All in a coin that is backed by nothing at all, but then again, what is the US Dollar backed by? Nothing. Exactly.

I have much to learn though. From what I can see even dedicated ASIC, like the Baikal units can generate at current prices around 8k/month in coin but ... their like $15,000 an ASIC. Thats a massive risk for small timers but nothing but a drop in the bucket for corporate miners. And from what I can tell there are no dedicated ASIC's worth a shit at the sub $5000 level.

To me the Titan V is a big purchase at $3k. I'm mainly skeptical due to the lack of extensive testing on it. From what I understand its good at mining ethereum, but how is it at say nist5 and the other algorithms on nicehash?

My one 1080 Ti is averaging about $10 a day here. My two Star Wars Titan Xp's come in on Wednesday. I hope to be able to average $30 a day. Should have them paid off in 2.5 months if not less. At that point I would need to decide if I am content with my 3 cards or if I want to setup a dedicated mining rig. Mainly because at that point I am maxed out on my personal rig as far as card support and power supply limitations. To me if I can hit $900 a month - I will be satisfied. It's a nice little bit of side money that I put next to no effort in and it basically will pay my rent on my apartment for me.

I guess my fear is if I go crazy and go all in on say a 10 card rig and the market crashes. Now I am sitting on 10 cards and in the hole for a whole bunch of cash. 3 GPU's is definitely more manageable and less headache should the whole thing come crashing down on us.

I’d be interested in a Titan V if I had an adequate PC to put it in (like a 16c/32t ThreadRipper) for video work but our company only buys prebuilt computer systems from Dell or Apple so unless Dell makes that combination I won’t be getting it.

Well I just started mining. But ... my 3 cards added together, 1080ti x2 plus 1070 puts out roughly half or a little more than half of what a TitanV can do. I am pending price fluctuations and my personal mining tempo, due for about 550-700 range this month, with a Titan V thrown on top of that I could be making 1500 +- or even more a month. In two months at that rate the mining would pay for the Titan and then its straight profit.

For instance since yesterday at around 4pm until the timestamp of posting this I made $22 USD in coin. Even with the market losing value today slightly. Adding a Titan V would gain me, the $22.00 from my existing 3 GPUs and then another $30-35 USD on top of that for a (hypotethical) 50+ USD a day. Multiply that times 30, pending stability, thats about $1500/month or $18,000/yr minus around $45/mon power bill extra. I could add more and more cards as time moves on to the point of making double that in a year. All in a coin that is backed by nothing at all, but then again, what is the US Dollar backed by? Nothing. Exactly.

I have much to learn though. From what I can see even dedicated ASIC, like the Baikal units can generate at current prices around 8k/month in coin but ... their like $15,000 an ASIC. Thats a massive risk for small timers but nothing but a drop in the bucket for corporate miners. And from what I can tell there are no dedicated ASIC's worth a shit at the sub $5000 level.
I guess where we're not seeing eye to eye is the assertion that a Titan V is really capable of that much more than a 1080Ti.

From the reviews I've seen, it hashes ethereum at about 80MH/s, which is about 2.5 times a 1080 Ti. If you've got two 1080Tis and a 1070, you're probably in the 90 to 100 range. Is the Titan V really super good at some other, more profitable, algorithm?

I guess where we're not seeing eye to eye is the assertion that a Titan V is really capable of that much more than a 1080Ti.

From the reviews I've seen, it hashes ethereum at about 80MH/s, which is about 2.5 times a 1080 Ti. If you've got two 1080Tis and a 1070, you're probably in the 90 to 100 range. Is the Titan V really super good at some other, more profitable, algorithm?

It should be fucking amazing at ZCash (equihash) mining, using something like the EWBF cuda miner or the DSTM cuda miner.

It should be fucking amazing at ZCash (equihash) mining, using something like the EWBF cuda miner or the DSTM cuda miner.

At 225 watts the TitanV can apparently mine what would take 600+ plus watts of other high end cards.

One of these days ill be able to get a Baikal Big B lol... make 6 to 8G a month. Its a shame just a few months ago they were selling for 5grand. Now thier like 30grand. But with the south korea scare and subsequent sell off today maybe some people will jump ship and 1080tis will be made available again.

Until then im gonna keep watching the Tiran V like a hawk to see how it really performs for people.

Well just got phone calls from 2 sources from AIB partners, Volta gaming / next gen coming in Feb/march.

Wow, I certainly hope there is some truth to that. It would be good to have some new hardware on the GPU side of things.

Well since I made that post, I have changed my mind drastically. I have a friend who mines and found out I was on the ropes. He had a deep talk with me about it and now I am mining. I made over 20$ since last night. So I am going to see what this is like. If I actually can net over $100 this week I am in for the long haul and it actually does feel good to have my hardware working round clock now instead of wasted clock cycles making me money (well its virtual until I can land it in my bank account)

I'm using 2x 1080ti reduced power high memory clock slightly lower core clock and a 1070. So 3 GPU and i'm using my 7820x as well to mine. I'm using nicehash because its mining all kinds of pools and services.

though from my limited research the real winners in mining is the pool owners. Everyone does all the work and they sit back and reap profit. For instance NiceHash payout records indicated a 199 coin payout and Nicehash taxed like 40 something coin. Rediculous profit for hosting a pool.

Glad to hear you are taking a deeper look into mining. The best part about it is that once you get something going, you can take as long as you want to make a decision moving ahead as you're already making money.

Well just got phone calls from 2 sources from AIB partners, Volta gaming / next gen coming in Feb/march.

Damn. Means I needs to sell off my 5x1060s, 1070, 1080ti, and 2x RX 580s before the Volta drop. I bet the mid range cards at least hit 40mhs based on Titan V performance.

yep clearing off my credit cards for some bulk orders lol.

Maybe i jumped the gun, but i sold all my 1080s for a tidy profit. I look forward to filling up my slots with volta next month. Credit cards cleared though :)

Maybe i jumped the gun, but i sold all my 1080s for a tidy profit. I look forward to filling up my slots with volta next month. Credit cards cleared though :)

Good for you, bro, I think this is the way to go right now, if you can sell shit quick - sell it, bank the money, or buy some NVidia stock, and sit tight until new shit comes out. Then buy the most reasonable blazing fast shit there is.

I’d be interested in a Titan V if I had an adequate PC to put it in (like a 16c/32t ThreadRipper) for video work but our company only buys prebuilt computer systems from Dell or Apple so unless Dell makes that combination I won’t be getting it.

For mining or gaming use, anything that is not hugely CPU dependent (a lot of stuff is fine with i7 and i5 CPUs), depending on the model, you may be able to put in a much bigger power supply, do a couple case mods & put in a big video card.
It's a hobby I do from time to time, turn Optiplex, Vostro, Precision and XPS systems into high powered gaming rigs.

Damn. Means I needs to sell off my 5x1060s, 1070, 1080ti, and 2x RX 580s before the Volta drop. I bet the mid range cards at least hit 40mhs based on Titan V performance.

Well unless you are power limited (can't put any more rigs in) where you are, I don't think ya need to sell these cards, even at 50% the profit these cards are still profitable.

For mining or gaming use, anything that is not hugely CPU dependent (a lot of stuff is fine with i7 and i5 CPUs), depending on the model, you may be able to put in a much bigger power supply, do a couple case mods & put in a big video card.
It's a hobby I do from time to time, turn Optiplex, Vostro, Precision and XPS systems into high powered gaming rigs.

Unless it comes from Dell that way our company won’t touch it. If this were my home office I would do all the work of building it myself.

Based on benches a V would pay for irs self in a few months working some extra cards as well. Hrmmm its gonna be a while before x080ti volta drops probably a year so I still on ropes. Ive mined 40 dollars already in two days...based on fluctuations im gonna pull between 450 and 650 this month at 43 dollars electric usage. 2x 80ti and 70 doing the work.

And my ti's are water blocked so they can run cool 24/7 unless I wanna game.

I think im gonna hold my coin. Maybe in 20 years its worthless or worth 2 mil a coin.

Last edited:
long time for Ti model. talking to two years!
really so no gaming chips from volta? only this totan v and other business cards? i guess id not make much difference as it would be the top tier card or close to it for a good while.

I'm returning the two Titan Xp's I bought the other day. They came in today and I can't get them to fit in my PC because the MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti I have is a 2.5 slot card. Didn't feel like messing around with it. Just going to return the cards and get my $2400 back. Just going to sit here and mine on my 1080 Ti and make $10 a day with it.

Is this now the unofficial mining thread? Lol

Managed to snag gtx 1080 ti off of evgas website for $820. Its a aio cooled one. Will be adding it to my main rig. So that will be two gtx 1080 ti cards mining on that rig. I had two gtx Titan Xp (star wars editions) cards that I planned on just putting in my main computer alongside my 1080 ti but they don't quite fit. Was going to return them but decided to make a small PC for some couch gaming on my OLED 4k TV. Picked up the following from Newegg earlier:

Ryzen 7 1700 with led spire cooler
Msi x370 sli plus motherboard
8gb of ddr4 3000mhz c15 ram
Corsair rmx1000 power supply (1000 watt)
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
Fractal Design Define R5 case with window
Razer turret keyboard and mouse

So that'll be 2 1080 TI's mining as well as 2 Titan Xp cards. Should fetch a decent amount each month. Hoping for at least $800

I have a Titan V and it sucks tbh

$3,200 (Newegg is tax free. I am so happy having to order directly from Nvidia and get charged tax...)

The best it gets at Equihash when overclocked as stable as it will go with that shitty cooler and 120% limit is ~950 sol/s

My overclocked 1080 Ti's get ~760 sol/s. And they have water cooling as opposed to sounding like a jet engine at all times.

So 25-30% more hash rate than a 1080 Ti.

You can get 3x overclocked, watercooled 1080 Ti's, or 2,250 sol/s, for the price of a single Titan V.

For gaming I wasn't very impressed either. Didn't notice any perceivable performance increase over one of my watercooled 1080 Ti's. And two AORUS 1080 Ti's going up against a Titan V in SLI mode costs less and blows it out of the water.

Based on benches a V would pay for irs self in a few months working some extra cards as well. Hrmmm its gonna be a while before x080ti volta drops probably a year so I still on ropes. Ive mined 40 dollars already in two days...based on fluctuations im gonna pull between 450 and 650 this month at 43 dollars electric usage. 2x 80ti and 70 doing the work.

And my ti's are water blocked so they can run cool 24/7 unless I wanna game.

I think im gonna hold my coin. Maybe in 20 years its worthless or worth 2 mil a coin.
Something I noticed in LinusTechTips' review of the Titan V today was that they mentioned that the Titan V specifies that it's compatible with CUDA 7.0, whereas Pascal cards specify 6.5, and this apparently imposes a performance penalty in some mining applications.

You couldn't do this with a closed source miner like Claymore, but you conceivably could compile your own version of EthMiner (for instance) against the CUDA 7.0 libraries that might get some more performance out of it. From my limited fiddling with CUDA in the past, compiling for it isn't any harder than any other C++ program, but I wonder how much work it would take to optimize the algorithm.

Buying one of these cards for speculative purposes is out of reach for me immediately, but I'd be willing to work on this with someone who happened to have one.

Something I noticed in LinusTechTips' review of the Titan V today was that they mentioned that the Titan V specifies that it's compatible with CUDA 7.0, whereas Pascal cards specify 6.5, and this apparently imposes a performance penalty in some mining applications.

You couldn't do this with a closed source miner like Claymore, but you conceivably could compile your own version of EthMiner (for instance) against the CUDA 7.0 libraries that might get some more performance out of it. From my limited fiddling with CUDA in the past, compiling for it isn't any harder than any other C++ program, but I wonder how much work it would take to optimize the algorithm.

Buying one of these cards for speculative purposes is out of reach for me immediately, but I'd be willing to work on this with someone who happened to have one.

Well the other reason to get a tiran V is tensor cores if you can use them.

But were so close to mainstream Volta release its worth waiting to see how the x080 Volta performs compared to a 1080ti esp. In mining operations since Tensor cores have zilch to do with mining's integer crunching.

meanwhile we can have a giggle at the few idiots who buy a titan v for strictly gaming instead of running 1080ti in SLi :D id actually played Bf1 with someone who did get one. i guess he must be so loaded he cant give 2 cents but, still stupid :p

These things are going to be as scare they must be making them now if that is the release date I hope the QC doesn't go out the door.

meanwhile we can have a giggle at the few idiots who buy a titan v for strictly gaming instead of running 1080ti in SLi :D id actually played Bf1 with someone who did get one. i guess he must be so loaded he cant give 2 cents but, still stupid :p

Most likely he can sell it used for near new pricing though, so ...

But SLI is introducing additional latency. What gives you right to call people names when your own requirements suck?

But SLI is introducing additional latency. What gives you right to call people names when your own requirements suck?

While I know that this is true based on previous research, do you have a link showing how much latency is being added by SLI?

If I had to make a guess, we're talking a few milliseconds here, which dips well below the human perception threshold. That is assuming that the game, drivers, and hardware are all doing their part to stay in sync, of course.

These things are going to be as scare they must be making them now if that is the release date I hope the QC doesn't go out the door.

Think nV has been making them for a while now, takes a bit of time for AIB partners to get ready for launch too, 1 to 2 months, they probably just got their first batch of chips a little while back to make sure their boards and component partners get the specs they need.

One of the AIB partners told me, even if I order when they release, it will take time to get the order in, depending on the size that I'm looking at, around 1 month to 2 months after launch before I see the cards I order. This is a fairly large order, if ya order more the faster they try to fulfill, push up to the front of the line type of thing.

While I know that this is true based on previous research, do you have a link showing how much latency is being added by SLI?

If I had to make a guess, we're talking a few milliseconds here, which dips well below the human perception threshold. That is assuming that the game, drivers, and hardware are all doing their part to stay in sync, of course.

Well, the question is how many milliseconds. 10? 30, more? How does it scale? So many questions

Some neat info in this thread.

Porbably cant swing the V but I bet I could get my wife to approve a Star Wars Xp if it's for "mining"...

Am I right in seeing about a 10% increase over the 1080ti?

Some neat info in this thread.

Porbably cant swing the V but I bet I could get my wife to approve a Star Wars Xp if it's for "mining"...

Am I right in seeing about a 10% increase over the 1080ti?

yeah 5% to 10%

a mixture of coins,

the list I'm doing 35 different alt coin algorithms with over 60 coins which ever is most profitable. For ease of mining, these are the more common algorithms,

Neoscrypt, xevan, blakecoin, x17, hsr, blake2s, c11, phi, sib, bitcore, skunk, nist4, lyra2v2, timetravel, tribus, grosetl, skein, keccak

Nicehash has some of these coins, and it will switch up based on profitability so it should get close to 10 bucks a day per card. 8 bucks a day should be easy to get.

All these coins are more profitable than Eth and even dual mining eth and lbry even on AMD cards + they use a hell of lot less power, I'm down to 80 watts a card for my 1070's on these alt coins my 1080ti (testing) don't do any extended mining with it, gets around 150 watts.

This is why mining won't die this year or the year after lol, there are way too many profitable coins out there. Eth is just the one that started the madness this round. But there are so many others out there, unless the confidence of Eth and Bitcoin takes a dive, this is going to go on for a few years, 3 years at least.

Hmm, now you guys have got me thinking. Besides when I am gaming, my V is just sitting here doing nothing. Plus my electricity is "free" (sunk cost as it is included in my rent at a flat rate). I guess maybe I'm stupid for not mining with this thing, although I don't even know where to start to mine the current "best profitable" coins.

for nV cards its better to multimine, for just getting things up and going, dl nemosminer and get on zpool,

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1777336.0

Info it all there, just use the zpool batch file and change the number of cards and your bitcoin address and fire it up.

Volta is CUDA 7.0 and up, so some of the older miners might not work.... But just post up in Bitcointalk thread how to change miners around for the coins that use the older miners and dev will help out.

if you don't have many cards or rigs going, sign up in an exchange and have them send it to there, if you want to cash out your coins as you mine, I would just use coinbase, if your interested in buying other coins with the bitcoins you mine, I use bittrex

You don't need to sign up for zpool, once you have a bitcoin address, and start mining, you just have to search for the address at zpool and it will show up.

Ok got my coinbase account set up and bitcoin address. Do I use the NemosMiner-v1.7.6-ZPOOL1080ti.bat file for a Titan V?

Back