Nvidia rtx 3090 discussion

I do that. I have a 120 Noctua industrial though. Running a benchmark now to see how the temps are as I don't pay attention most of the time.

View attachment 332251View attachment 332252View attachment 332254
View attachment 332256
Great idea, I was skeptical a 120 mm would fit neatly but it does since the card is 138 mm wide. Temps seem to have dropped by 10c and it's a low noise Antec two cool so no noticeable change in noise floor.
Update: Steady state diference seems to be more 4-6c but anything is welcome.

Attachments

• 20210222_144828.jpg
    20210222_144828.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
They also make spot fans which you can bend around. But yeah I’m doing the same on my Aorus Master

I'm planning on slapping a waterblock on it, with a 420+360+240 radiator setup, so heat load isn't an issue, its mostly down to how fast the waterblock can get the heat out of the die and into the three radiators of water. So I'm thinking beyond 500w is fine, 1000w may be a stretch on water but 600-750?
The xoc 1000w bios disables all overcurrent protections and is not recommended for anything but ln2 benching. Just a word of caution.

The xoc 1000w bios disables all overcurrent protections and is not recommended for anything but ln2 benching. Just a word of caution.

Yeah, I may not do that. I just want something that allows me to run into silicon limits before power limits.

Yeah, I may not do that. I just want something that allows me to run into silicon limits before power limits.
Hey, you could try undervolting and seeing what kind clocks you can get?

Not exactly what you wanted but worthwhile nonetheless.

^^ Only 6 more weeks to go! :D

Seriously though, that's the one thing I hate about ordered anything via ALI. I've had some things arrive in less than 3 weeks.... or take up to 10 weeks.
And some things simply never arrive - luckily they've been good about refunds. Hopefully you got a good price for it! Would probably have arrived faster
via an Amazon reseller, but I bet at a higher price: https://www.amazon.com/Bykski-Coverage-Backplate-Founders-N-RTX3090FE-X-V2/dp/B08P2T3DXB

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^^ Only 6 more weeks to go! :D

Seriously though, that's the one thing I hate about ordered anything via ALI. I've had some things arrive in less than 3 weeks.... or take up to 10 weeks.
And some things simply never arrive - luckily they've been good about refunds. Hopefully you got a good price for it! Would probably have arrived faster
via an Amazon reseller, but I bet at a higher price: https://www.amazon.com/Bykski-Coverage-Backplate-Founders-N-RTX3090FE-X-V2/dp/B08P2T3DXB
Yeah $105 vs $190. I ordered a few things at the same time that already showed up. I think I missed them shipping it because of Chinese new year.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not super worried about it between the 56 days for EVGA to get my RMA finished and the 5 months BHPhoto has had my 5950x on back order. I'm also waiting to hear what EVGA_Jacob has to say about the power balancing issue they finally acknowledged. I might just have to ditch the card and re-home the waterblock if worse comes to worse.

What spread on gpu core vs gpu hot spot are you guys noticing on Hwinfo under load? I think it around 10 degrees for me right now.

I don't think my 3090 FE is even audible. I'm so impressed by this thing.
Yep, mine is thankfully silent as well and I have an additional 120 mm on the backplate so the RAM doesn't get too hot. Never thought I'd say this but it is mostly worth the premium over the 3080 given the much better cooler and future proof VRAM amount.

Yep, mine is thankfully silent as well and I have an additional 120 mm on the backplate so the RAM doesn't get too hot. Never thought I'd say this but it is mostly worth the premium over the 3080 given the much better cooler and future proof VRAM amount.
The fan on mine starts to spin up and make some noise when I play a game that uses ray tracing such as Control and especially Quake II RTX. Playing Quake II RTX with the power limit maxed out makes it too loud for me. Luckily at stock settings and playing a normal rasterized game the fan is inaudible.

The fan on mine starts to spin up and make some noise when I play a game that uses ray tracing such as Control and especially Quake II RTX. Playing Quake II RTX with the power limit maxed out makes it too loud for me. Luckily at stock settings and playing a normal rasterized game the fan is inaudible.
I guess maybe I just can't hear it over my case fans but those are locked at 40% speed and not that loud either.

RT or rasterized game doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I do have 3x120mm blowing at the card from directly underneath it and another 3 pulling that air right out of the case above (011D mini) so that setup is ideal for the FEs cooler design.

I guess maybe I just can't hear it over my case fans but those are locked at 40% speed and not that loud either.

RT or rasterized game doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I do have 3x120mm blowing at the card from directly underneath it and another 3 pulling that air right out of the case above (011D mini) so that setup is ideal for the FEs cooler design.
Mine is in a Fractal Design Meshify C case with two front 140mm fans, a 240mm AIO rad at the top, and an Arctic P-12 fan to replace the stock rear fan. Cooling isn't bad but the smaller Meshify C case might be holding it back unless I crank up the fan speed to a level that's a bit too loud for me.

1615525629705.png

The new 3090 FTW3 HydroCopper comes pre-installed with the 500W XOC BIOS in the "OC" switch. I think these cards are part of the same program EVGA recently opened up for the air cooled FTW3 cards that couldn't hit power limit. Look at the screenshot above, I average 500W of power draw and my PCI-E slot power consumption never went above 76W. Averages in the low 70 watts.

View attachment 338123

The new 3090 FTW3 HydroCopper comes pre-installed with the 500W XOC BIOS in the "OC" switch. I think these cards are part of the same program EVGA recently opened up for the air cooled FTW3 cards that couldn't hit power limit. Look at the screenshot above, I average 500W of power draw and my PCI-E slot power consumption never went above 76W. Averages in the low 70 watts.
500 watts.... jesus christ.

I'm really glad to hear this! My card should get to EVGA tomorrow. I'll report back here as soon as I have mine in hand.

I'm probably going to wait and see if they release that 500W bios as official with resizable bar support.

Honestly, since the 500W BIOS now comes loaded on cards straight from EVGA I’d say it’s pretty official.
Yeah, I suppose no one has fried anything with that specific bios, so I might as well give it a shot as my temps are in check at 450W. I guess its covered under warranty anyway, but it took so long to get the card in the first place id hate to go without it if something did happen. :p. I feel like they will have to re-release it tho with the resizable bar at some point.

Yeah, I suppose no one has fried anything with that specific bios, so I might as well give it a shot as my temps are in check at 450W. I guess its covered under warranty anyway, but it took so long to get the card in the first place id hate to go without it if something did happen. :p. I feel like they will have to re-release it tho with the resizable bar at some point.
It's pretty amazing how much power they can take. There are quite a few people like me that have run 500w on a 2 connector card without frying it. Still haven't seen anyone blow one up yet. Any card that has an official 500w bios is probably fine as long as you keep temps in check. But I definitely understand the fear of killing it given how difficult they are to buy right now.

It's pretty amazing how much power they can take. There are quite a few people like me that have run 500w on a 2 connector card without frying it. Still haven't seen anyone blow one up yet. Any card that has an official 500w bios is probably fine as long as you keep temps in check. But I definitely understand the fear of killing it given how difficult they are to buy right now.
Considering that gpus are designed to run not only in ideal settings, but also at the extreme ends of the spectrum, Gpu's in general can usually soak up almost as much power as you want to throw at them until they hit thermal or silicon limits. It looks like the AIB's really went out of their ways to overengineer the 3090s in particular, owing to the massive power requirements they represented. Since the cards are designed with some sort of duration in mind, be it 3 years, 5 years, longer, they're given every possible protection to ensure each card has the best opportunity to fulfill those goals. Again the 3090 designs almost across the board seem to be overengineered almost like saying ' just to be safe'. So far I haven't seen anyone killing their 3090 under reasonable cooling, regardless of what ridiculous bios combination they throw at it. How courageous are you with a 2k$ card?

The 3dmark thread has been a lot of fun, and when the next round of blocks arrive it should really heat up.

The most abuse I've thrown at my Asus card is the longer mining sessions, but with the fans cranked up, I have only seen the memory peak at 102*c in gpu-z's memory sensor reading, with average readings in the low 90s while running a +800 on memory.

Anecdotally, the power draw never changes regardless of what I apply for a memory offset positive or negative.

I received my Bykski 3090 FE water block today. I will add some more info once I install it etc.

Attachments

• 20210312_094143.jpg
    20210312_094143.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210312_093932.jpg
    20210312_093932.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210312_094252.jpg
    20210312_094252.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210312_094210.jpg
    20210312_094210.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 0
I received my Bykski 3090 FE water block today. I will add some more info once I install it etc.
Props to you for having the patience to watercool in such a small case. My fingers get banged up just tightening fittings and whatnot in a regular mid tower.

1615561416810.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anyone else throw up in their mouth a little everytime Quake II is mentioned as a benchmark for $2k video card? 🤢

Considering Quake 2 RTX took SLI 2080 tis, now single 3090, previously to run at ~60+FPS (and that’s just at 2560x1600 in my case), not sure why it’s being scoffed at. It’s an old game rewritten to use arguably the endgame approach for rendering method. The geometry looks like 1996 game, sure, but the lighting and shadowing is incredible. Nothing is faked, everything done in real time - I dunno, I think that it’s pretty cool showcase of ray tracing/path tracing. Now, as an example of a game with RTX support and a reason to buy RTX 20/30 cards, I think that’s definitely laughable...

I've found that a disassembly and thermal pad replacement is a must with the FE cards. I'm literally running 20C cooler on the memory just by replacing the pads.

Back