Nvidia rtx 3090 discussion

Sounds like a ground loop. Is the computer on same power strip as the TV and receiver?
I believe they are. I was assuming that the issue being dependent on me playing specific games would have ruled that possibility out. Would issues from a ground loop manifest itself specifically from the increased power draw from my PC from playing these games? My knowledge of electricity-induced audio issues is limited.

I might have to try booting to a clean Windows 10 install on external SSD to rule out the possibility it's some weird Windows glitch. I'm pretty adamant about figuring this out ASAP. My sound system is worth multitudes more than my PC. I was working my way through RDR 2 and Warzone is the game I play the most.

One test might be to get a different power strip connected to a different outlet for your PC while keeping the other devices on the current outlet/strip. I agree that it's probably a grounding issue or a short to ground.

Experiencing a very weird issue. Everything has worked fine up until this point, but it seems like my RTX 3090 is having issues sending audio over HDMI ARC or HDMI to my receiver. Beginning today, games now exhibit a buzzing noise. Worked fine yesterday and no changes have been made to my system. It seems to be specifically an issue with the GPU because the pitch of the buzzing directly correlates to the refresh rate chosen. Tried DDU'ing my old drivers and installing the new ones - no luck. I've noticed that turning HDMI ARC on or off, regardless if I'm using the TV AUDIO channel, significantly affects the volume of the buzzing (but still audibly buzzes either way). It's not the receiver because the receiver doesn't exhibit this issue with my consoles or if I'm doing anything other than playing a super-intensive game. Dark Souls 3 or other various less intensive games don't have this buzzing issue.

It would have to suck to RMA a videocard because of issues with its audio capabilities. Anyone else experiencing issues along this line? It's as if the HDMI port is sending an analog signal with significant EMI when GPU-intensive games are being played. That shouldn't be happening because it's the audio chain is entirely digital until it reaches my receiver. Why would turning HDMI ARC on or off have any effect on the buzzing if the HDMI ARC isn't being output? It gives me the impression it could be an issue with the TV - but if that were actually the case, then there's no reason why specific games on my PC experience this issue while the issue doesn't exist anywhere else.

Is there a chip on the card that controls the HDMI audio? Whatever is on my 3090 that specifically controls sending digital audio from my 3090 is simply not working the way it should. I'm messaging EVGA about it now.

Have you tried a different monitor/receiver?

Picked up my 3090 FE yesterday, got it installed, and so far I'm loving it. Cooler is beautiful and quiet and performance is a big step up from the 2080Ti I replaced it with.

I have a few questions related to the GPU clocks I'm getting at stock. On the Timespy benchmark my average boost clock varies between 1.74 and 1.77 GHZ. Same with Port Royal and some of the other games I've tested. Going by some of the information I've gathered searching the internet these clocks could be normal but I'm curious what others on here are getting with a 3090 FE at stock. It's also worth mentioning that my small Fractal Design Meshify C case could play a factor but my temps don't go over 68 degrees.

Other thing is that the clocks go even lower while playing Quake II RTX. They regularly fall below the rated boost clock and the fan speed ramps up after a few minutes of game play. Again, this could be normal since Quake II RTX puts a heavy load on the GPU but I was wondering if others on here have experienced this?

When I set the power target to 114% in MSI Afterburner I get a boost of about 100MHz at the cost of higher fan speed and noise.

Anyone with a 3090 FE that doesn't have noticeable coil whine/buzz? Buddy of mine just picked up his second 3090 FE this weekend from Best Buy to replace his first one that had very noticeable coil whine/buzz at all framerates...and the second one is the same. He wants to know if its even possible to get one without it or if he just needs to try and get used to it.

Anyone with a 3090 FE that doesn't have noticeable coil whine/buzz? Buddy of mine just picked up his second 3090 FE this weekend from Best Buy to replace his first one that had very noticeable coil whine/buzz at all framerates...and the second one is the same. He wants to know if its even possible to get one without it or if he just needs to try and get used to it.
With mine, I find the coil whine is more prevalent with certain games. Some games have almost no noticeable coil whine. Some it is only noticeable at high frame rates. Then there are the few that like to whine all the time.

For me, RDR2 is the biggest offender in my library. It wants to whine all the time. Watch Dogs Legion and AC: Valhalla I haven’t really noticed it. 3DMark benchmark and Furmark I haven’t really noticed it either. There was a Resident Evil benchmark that if left frame rate uncapped would scream bloody murder but was silent when capped to my refresh rate. I also notice it would whine with some VR games too.

Having said that, I will say the whine has quieted down over the past few months as the card got broken in. It’s not completely silent in those games mentioned above, but it is a lot quieter than what it once was to where it is tolerable now.

What also helps out is to make sure your frame rate is capped to go no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. Some game menus that would run at several hundred FPS when left uncapped or older games that are not as demanding can cause it to whine. Plus, it puts an unnecessary load on the GPU to work harder to push frames you can’t see.

With mine, I find the coil whine is more prevalent with certain games. Some games have almost no noticeable coil whine. Some it is only noticeable at high frame rates. Then there are the few that like to whine all the time.

For me, RDR2 is the biggest offender in my library. It wants to whine all the time. Watch Dogs Legion and AC: Valhalla I haven’t really noticed it. 3DMark benchmark and Furmark I haven’t really noticed it either. There was a Resident Evil benchmark that if left frame rate uncapped would scream bloody murder but was silent when capped to my refresh rate. I also notice it would whine with some VR games too.

Having said that, I will say the whine has quieted down over the past few months as the card got broken in. It’s not completely silent in those games mentioned above, but it is a lot quieter than what it once was to where it is tolerable now.

What also helps out is to make sure your frame rate is capped to go no higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. Some game menus that would run at several hundred FPS when left uncapped or older games that are not as demanding can cause it to whine. Plus, it puts an unnecessary load on the GPU to work harder to push frames you can’t see.
Thanks, not exactly what he wanted to hear but he’s going to see if it gets any better or he gets used to it. He’s still relatively new to PC gaming with only one GPU (GTX 1070) before that didn’t have any coil whine, so this is a new experience to him. He claims that in some games the 3090 FE’s coil whine is loud enough that he can still hear it from the hallway about 10 feet away. Pretty wild!

Thanks, not exactly what he wanted to hear but he’s going to see if it gets any better or he gets used to it. He’s still relatively new to PC gaming with only one GPU (GTX 1070) before that didn’t have any coil whine, so this is a new experience to him. He claims that in some games the 3090 FE’s coil whine is loud enough that he can still hear it from the hallway about 10 feet away. Pretty wild!
I've owned quite a few video cards over the years with the GTX 1080 FE being my last card and the RTX 3090 FE is my first video card where I have ever noticed any coil whine. But to its credit, or detriment, it is also one of the quieter cards I have owned when under load when it comes to fan noise.

In the first days of ownership, I could hear the coil whine on my RTX 3090 FE 6-8 feet away over the speakers on my Valve Index when doing VR. It's more about pitch than pure volume that makes it appear louder than it really is and allow for the sound to travel.

The Resident Evil 6 benchmark, I mentioned, that one you could hear from quite a ways it was so loud and shrill. But it was having moments of hitting 300+ FPS, I believe more so during the menus and transitions. But use RTSS to cap framerate to at or below monitor refresh rate, and the whine goes away for most games. As mentioned before, RDR2 it doesn't seem to matter if the framerate is 60 FPS or below, it will still whine. And VR, with a target framerate of 120 FPS it was noticeable in the first weeks of ownership.

I think there is a bit of a break-in period that needs to be done with the cards before they start to quiet down. I don't think the sound will every completely go away with the amount of power that is being drawn by the card and the nature of how these coils work, but they may get quieter over time. I think it took over a month before mine started to quiet down, but I haven't been doing a lot of gaming lately. It does stay on 24/7. But maybe the more you put it under cycles of load/unload and heating/cooling, the card should start to settle in.

Mine is really bad compared to my Aorus Xtreme 3090, big shame imo it is such a nice card but not sure I want to use it because of it. It's not quite so bad inside a case but still noticeable. The heatsink fin stack also moves on mine it kinda "pops" back in place if you push on it lol.

Haven't noticed any coil whine on my 3090FE. Thought I had it at first but it turns out my Kraken pump is just loud in performance mode.

my FE has a good amount of coil whine in unreal engine. While gaming in real world, I don't really notice any.

I've been lucky I guess with my Strix 3090 on water in that I've noticed zero coil whine. I did notice something that sounded like minor coil whinging when running an older 3DMark "Wildlife" benchmark recently though. I was getting in excess of over 1000 FPS at the time, so maybe it was more like coil exasperation than actual whine. LOL! :D

A mysterious package arrived today. What could it be...

box.png

3090.png

GTX 1080 ------> RTX 3090 😈

A mysterious package arrived today. What could it be...

View attachment 325741

View attachment 325742

GTX 1080 ------> RTX 3090 😈
Nice! A word of advice, check how the load balancing is on the card. Quite a few 3090 FTW3s suffer from a load balancing issue. The PCIE slot ends up drawing 80W+ and the third 8-pin will pull under 100W. Causes overall power draw to be much lower. The 3090 FTW3 I had suffered from it and as a result didn’t even outperform my 3090 XC3 that cost $200+ less. Ended up returning the card as I wasn’t going to settle paying hundreds more to get the same performance as my XC3.

If it suffers from it, see if EVGA will RMA it. I believe if you RMA within the first 30 days then they’ll send you a new unit. But I would confirm with them.

What are peoples oc scanner results like with their 3090
Im curious on comparing silicon

btw if your getting random crashes using an old oc scanner profile that you messed with
the voltage tables have changed by quite a bit
some of the idle voltages have been sped up and higher voltages slowed down

Examples
724mv runs 30mhz faster by default now 1365mhz vs 1335mhz
1043mv runs 10mhz slower by default now so oc scanner apply's a 70mhz oc instead of 60 to achieve 2025 mhz

Here's My OC Scanner Tables with 457.30 + 461.40 on my RTX 3090 FE

Last edited:
Nice! A word of advice, check how the load balancing is on the card. Quite a few 3090 FTW3s suffer from a load balancing issue. The PCIE slot ends up drawing 80W+ and the third 8-pin will pull under 100W. Causes overall power draw to be much lower. The 3090 FTW3 I had suffered from it and as a result didn’t even outperform my 3090 XC3 that cost $200+ less. Ended up returning the card as I wasn’t going to settle paying hundreds more to get the same performance as my XC3.

If it suffers from it, see if EVGA will RMA it. I believe if you RMA within the first 30 days then they’ll send you a new unit. But I would confirm with them.
How did you measure that?

Mine seems okay so far. I haven't had a lot of time with it but it's been stable. For brief moments the PCI-E slot will hit 78 or 79 then drop down. Hopefully that's not too high.

Have you tried a different monitor/receiver?

Yes. In my living room I have a HTPC, which is the setup with the 3090 and the receiver. I also have a desktop setup with a 1080 Ti. I took the desktop PC, installed RDR 2, and tested it with the Marantz SR5011 receiver that had the buzzing. There was no buzzing using my desktop PC.

I also tested my HTPC using my desktop speakers and desktop monitor - no buzzing. I switched out my Marantz for my old Denon - no buzzing. I sent back the Marantz SR 5011, and purchased a refurbished Marantz SR5014, and hooked it up today.

Still buzzes. FML.

So the main culprit here still appears to be the videocard. But I still have a feeling that if I try to RMA that (if EVGA will even let me), the issue will persist. Why would my old Denon, cheap-as-dirt Denon S510BT receiver not have any issues, but these Marantz receivers are having issues? The only distinction I can think of is that my old Denon did not support ARC or eARC. These Marantz receivers do.

I also tried putting the receiver on a separate outlet and it did not change anything. With the current state of things I'll have to try to test everything, again. I need to make sure I'm not mistaken but what I have and haven't tried.

This seems like an extremely niche issue which probably calls for a niche solution. I'm going to start opening up multiple threads in different places to see if anyone has any ideas. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears, because it appears I'm stuck up a creek without a paddle.

I've seen a lot of talk about Coil Whine making the rounds. When not benchmarking, I set my max fps in RivaTuner (you can use a variety of programs and even Nvidia to do same thing) to 1 below the refresh, in this case 143hz, which does the following: Keeps the card from smashing those hundred to thousand plus fps menus, splash, and loading screens that are usually the main, if not only source for coil whine. I've been doing this for over a decade on any cards that showed some coil whine, and it does a tremendous job in eradicating it every time. However, on my ASUS 3090, if I DO NOT use the limit max fps method, the Coil Whine is quite pronounced when in those unbridled fps fury moments. Fortunately I probably won't remember it again till I try selling it in a year or two :S

Nevermind coil whine you should check dram temp's on 3090FE's

Ingame = 100°C
Furmark = 106°C with fans going at 2200rpm

I've seen a lot of talk about Coil Whine making the rounds. When not benchmarking, I set my max fps in RivaTuner (you can use a variety of programs and even Nvidia to do same thing) to 1 below the refresh, in this case 143hz, which does the following: Keeps the card from smashing those hundred to thousand plus fps menus, splash, and loading screens that are usually the main, if not only source for coil whine. I've been doing this for over a decade on any cards that showed some coil whine, and it does a tremendous job in eradicating it every time. However, on my ASUS 3090, if I DO NOT use the limit max fps method, the Coil Whine is quite pronounced when in those unbridled fps fury moments. Fortunately I probably won't remember it again till I try selling it in a year or two :S

I forgot all about coil whine until I read about it here.
Mine is the Aorus 3090 Xtreme and is completely silent no matter how soft/hard it is pushed. Refresh rate 120Hz, Gsync, no framerate limit.
The fans are super quiet too, even though at max power (460W+) they automatically hit 81%, keeping the core @ 69C max.
The PC is open to the air on the lower shelf of a table with no case, its so quiet.

Max temp I have seen on Vram is 94C while testing, ambient 20.5C.
I'm sure its less when gaming, havent checked.

My 3090 FE has some coil whine but it's pretty minor. Increasing the power target makes it a little worse. Playing a game with ray tracing with the power limit maxed out causes the fan speed to ramp up like crazy.

From my experience the PSU plays a big factor in coil whine. In my previous build the 2080Ti I owned had pretty bad coil whine but the PSU was eight years old. When I moved it to my current build the coil whine pretty much went away aside from certain conditions that would cause very minor whining.

I personally cannot stand coil whine. Constant noise doesn’t bother me, but when coil whine/buzz constantly changes during gameplay then that is a big nope from me. I’d even sacrifice a little performance (5% or so) for a card with no coil whine over one that exhibits any audible coil whine.

I had an ASUS 3090 TUF OC that I paid $1350 for after BB coupon and reward certificates. Amazing card for the price but I still returned it because it had easily audible coil whine at all frame rates. Was actually sad about returning it because I got it for such a great price. Luckily my current 3090 only has coil whine in a couple games at 300+ FPS which doesn’t matter since my monitor caps frame rate to 144. Otherwise it’s silent at all times.

Coil whine and fan noise are my only concerns about the 3090 fe, as my 3080 has none. We shall see..

I've had one for a few months now and no coil whine or buzz. I'll turn down my radiator fans for a bit and see if I notice anything if it's more quiet in the room.

My TUF 3090 has minimal coil whine in specific conditions, mostly when I hammer it with CUDA. However my Fractal R5 case does a fantastic job of blocking 99.9% of it - that's what soundproofing closed cases are good for, blocking higher frequencies.

Vibrations and fan noise (except tiny ones of course) are low frequencies and pretty much impossible to deal with in something as small as a typical PC case.

Like Gamers Nexus explained many times there is a tradeoff though, cases like mine have signficantly higher temps for a similar overall noise level vs more open cases (after fine tuning fan speeds I mean) - but the type of noise is very different and to me blocking the irregular high frequency noises from the PC is critical enough (young ears, dead quiet room, speakers) that I'll take the higher overall temps.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this (along with the red light of death) is a hardware issue that is going to be fixed in a PCB revision. My guess is that there will be a new PCB that will be released with the 3080 Ti and will be shared with the 3080 and 3090. That would explain why EVGA has been silent about the issue and potentially why the Hydro Copper cards have been delayed. I’m guessing the Hydro Copper blocks will be specific to the new PCB revision. All speculation of course.
Quoting myself from a few weeks back. I may actually be onto something...

1613009755139.jpeg

my bykski block hasn't shipped from china yet. Hoping to have it this month. Fingers crossed.

The 3090 Kingpin queue is making decent progress. If my turn comes up before April when the price will increase for existing queues, I’ll probably jump on it.

I'm looking at snagging an MSI SuprimX, but I can't really find any modded BIOS to unlock higher power limit.

I'm wanting to buy a 3090 that I can clock the balls off of, and the SuprimX seems to have a VERY high performance out of the box, and everyone seems to hit the power limit before they hit silicon stability.

Are there SuprimX power-unlocked BIOS files out there? and if not, are there better options?

I'm looking at snagging an MSI SuprimX, but I can't really find any modded BIOS to unlock higher power limit.

I'm wanting to buy a 3090 that I can clock the balls off of, and the SuprimX seems to have a VERY high performance out of the box, and everyone seems to hit the power limit before they hit silicon stability.

Are there SuprimX power-unlocked BIOS files out there? and if not, are there better options?
There are no modded bios, they are encrypted and cannot be altered.
You can use a bios from another card tho.
But you might lose use of some of the HDMI or DP ports.

EVGA FTW3 XOC bios at 450W or 500W are the highest power.
Other than that there is the Kingpin bios at 500W or 1000W, but you're asking for it.

I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Xtreme which is rated at 350W on Techpowerup but is at least 420W.
They dont always get their figures right.

Sounds like you want to buy a Kingpin!

There are no modded bios, they are encrypted and cannot be altered.
You can use a bios from another card tho.
But you might lose use of some of the HDMI or DP ports.

EVGA FTW3 XOC bios at 450W or 500W are the highest power.
Other than that there is the Kingpin bios at 500W or 1000W, but you're asking for it.

I'm using a Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Xtreme which is rated at 350W on Techpowerup but is at least 420W.
They dont always get their figures right.

Sounds like you want to buy a Kingpin!
I'm planning on slapping a waterblock on it, with a 420+360+240 radiator setup, so heat load isn't an issue, its mostly down to how fast the waterblock can get the heat out of the die and into the three radiators of water. So I'm thinking beyond 500w is fine, 1000w may be a stretch on water but 600-750?

Anyone put a 80 mm fan on the back of the 3090 FE to reduce VRAM temps? Strongly thinking about it and wondering if someone already had experiences? Mine isn't too bad, maxes out at 102c running nice hash mostly because I two side case fans on my Antec 1100 v2 right next to the card so wondering if a 80 mm directly blowing on it will get it down to 95c or so which should be stable long term.

Anyone put a 80 mm fan on the back of the 3090 FE to reduce VRAM temps? Strongly thinking about it and wondering if someone already had experiences? Mine isn't too bad, maxes out at 102c running nice hash mostly because I two side case fans on my Antec 1100 v2 right next to the card so wondering if a 80 mm directly blowing on it will get it down to 95c or so which should be stable long term.
I do that. I have a 120 Noctua industrial though. Running a benchmark now to see how the temps are as I don't pay attention most of the time.

PXL_20210222_211059521.jpg
1614028854741.png
1614028925001.png

1614028960435.png

Last edited:
Back