Newegg is a wasteland

NewEgg is definitely becoming a showroom. Today I look at their options for upgrading my wife's power supply, find a fully modular Corsair unit that fits the bill nicely, and then locates the same PSU for $15 cheaper at Amazon (not to mention Amazon has better customer service, faster shipping, and less hassle if something is DOA).

Yeah, once upon a time when newegg was focused on just tech products the support seemed better. Now that they're peddling everything from motherboards to ironing boards support seems worse. Whereas amazon has always peddled just about anything along with decent customer support. Both have their problems but Amazon seems to handle diverse product ranges better. If only because you know they're not the 'support' personnel for the products themselves, just the merchant.

Since getting Amazon Prime I have only purchased at NewEgg once. Their prices just aren't as compelling in comparison when I get 2 day shipping for free at Amazon, and though their service is fantastic, Amazon is just as good if not better.

Amazon's is far better. I have never had issues returning things to Amazon for any reason whatsoever.

Amazon's returns are probably better.

Their search still sucks (this alone is a reason to not window shop them), their site is a mishmash of different sellers of who knows what quality (pretty hilarious someone knocked newegg for this when Amazon is literally 500 times as bad), etc. Their pricing appear horrible on PC components as well compared to newegg (funny none of you mention this, some even saying Amazon has better prices)

But the main thing is they now charge me tax. You guys can sell Amazon all you want, I aint paying the extra 10% if I can help it, which means I'll choose newegg, buy.com, or anywhere I dont have to pay tax if possible. That simple.

Also I find it funny all the people saying they showroom newegg. Pretty sure the definition of showrooming is going to a brick and mortar then buying online. You cant showroom an online retailer. Online retailers have lower costs cause they dont pay for stores or salespeople. Thats why the distinction. You by definition cant showroom newegg as they have the same cost advantages Amazon does.

NewEgg is definitely becoming a showroom. Today I look at their options for upgrading my wife's power supply, find a fully modular Corsair unit that fits the bill nicely, and then locates the same PSU for $15 cheaper at Amazon (not to mention Amazon has better customer service, faster shipping, and less hassle if something is DOA).

Can you link this supposed lower priced PSU at both places please?

Yesterday the very first video card I looked at was no less than $30 cheaper at newegg. So I find all these stories a little hard to swallow. Amazon in general has higher prices on PC components and it isn't debatable. I've known this for a long time.

Yesterday the very first video card I looked at was no less than $30 cheaper at newegg. So I find all these stories a little hard to swallow. Amazon in general has higher prices on PC components and it isn't debatable. I've known this for a long time.

I've had the same experience. Haven't really ever made a large hardware purchase from Amazon, for this reason and because I get charged tax.

I was just this morning browsing for a new mouse on newegg (I echo the simpler search features) found a G9x, then found it on Amazon for $20 cheaper.

I'm still torn because my last few orders from Amazon (fulfilled by amazon) didn't ship out for almost a week after purchasing. Newegg IMHO seems much snappier about processing orders.

Amazon's returns are probably better.

Also I find it funny all the people saying they showroom newegg. Pretty sure the definition of showrooming is going to a brick and mortar then buying online. You cant showroom an online retailer. Online retailers have lower costs cause they dont pay for stores or salespeople. Thats why the distinction. You by definition cant showroom newegg as they have the same cost advantages Amazon does.

I don't think it matters if it's B&M or not. In effect, it's the same thing. Looking at items from one store and shopping at another. (because the search engine is better in this case, usually price in the case of B&M)

True, but in effect you're not "sticking it" to newegg in the same way you are to a B&M who has to pay the electric bill and staff to stand around.

The last few computer peripherals I've purchased through Amazon were cheaper then at Newegg. This includes a couple video cards, at least one PSU and a Dell monitor I just bought that got here today. Dell U2412M, $319.99 at Newegg and only $295 at Amazon. The price isn't always cheaper, but a lot of times I've found that to be the case with Amazon. Guess I'm just lucky...

Amazon is the shit, pure and simple. The only reason I still shop at Newegg on occasion is if I'm buying a high dollar item and the prices are equal. I have to pay tax on Amazon, but not on Newegg.

I've never bought much from Newegg unless it had a very good price. They had to - I live in California so I'm charged sales tax when I shop with them (and that 7.25% to 8.25% can make a big difference). I've been shopping a lot at Amazon over the last four years, but unfortunately on September 15th they start collecting sales tax for California, so much of the reason for shopping with them will disappear. I've spent $1,000 with them this summer in anticipation of that - might as well keep the $72.50 in my wallet instead of Sacramento's.

I was looking at a Samsung 830 SSD today (256GB).

Just happened to check both places. Its cheaper @ Amazon currently over the Egg. 224.99 at the Egg to 213.95 at Amazon.

When you consider shipping, normally its about a wash, but here Amazon wins by a few bucks. I would order from either honestly, but the 1 layer bubblerap envelope's have gotta stop at the egg for things like thumb drives and SSD's. Im sure they just get tossed all over the place by shipping. I had an expensve thumbdrive give up the ghost fairly quickly after getting it from the egg. Caused by shipping? who knows.

Amazon is the shit, pure and simple. The only reason I still shop at Newegg on occasion is if I'm buying a high dollar item and the prices are equal. I have to pay tax on Amazon, but not on Newegg.

That's the bottom line, taxes and prices. Sucks that I'll be paying taxes for both soon.

amazon will only charge tax for item listed and sold by amazon. "fullfilled by amazon" items that are sold on behalf od someone else (a LOT ) still wont be taxed in cali.

When you consider shipping, normally its about a wash, but here Amazon wins by a few bucks. I would order from either honestly, but the 1 layer bubblerap envelope's have gotta stop at the egg for things like thumb drives and SSD's. Im sure they just get tossed all over the place by shipping. I had an expensve thumbdrive give up the ghost fairly quickly after getting it from the egg. Caused by shipping? who knows.

For what it's worth, I recently got an SSD from newegg and another from Amazon. Both were shipped in bubblewrap envelopes.

pretty much this.

shoprunner 2day also seems slower than prime. (or its just that it takes 2-3days for newegg to start shipping the damn item!)

i cant down newegg on shipping.. seems like every time i order, its shipped the very next day, and the day after that its at my door. ups 3 day always arrives in 1 day flat for me.(given stuff ordered is shipped from the east warehouse, which usually always is)

Newegg has always given me superior service. I have spent tens of thousands there over the years and although their prices are not consistently the best any more, they are generally good and often better than most. But I am not tied to NewEgg, Mwave, Superbiiz and my local Fry's also get my business. It comes down to price and availability on the product I want. If prices are equal, I go NewEgg every time because not once have they screwed me.

Might want to re-evaluate your *opinion* about their prices. Even after the MIR (which I never factor those into decisions) and shipping Amazon would still be $4 cheaper.

NewEgg: $169 - $15 MIR + $6 shipping
Amazon: $156 - $0 MIR + $0 shipping

Couple of months ago got a Crucial M4 for about $20 cheaper at Amazon too. The price difference isn't as big now because prices are lower but Amazon still wins.

NewEgg: $109
Amazon: $102

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Even when Amazon starts charging tax on CA, I will still be supporting them. Their customer support is by far top notch, even better than Newegg. Just can't belive they had to start building a facility in CA. Anyways, there really isn't any way of getting away from Amazon's tax now. Just hope their customer support will be the same.

yea they are getting bad.
I ordered a game on tues and it got transfered from ups to usps.
5 days shipping and its about 200 miles from my house.
STILL NOT DELIVERED.
emailed and asked for a refund.
they said they don't give refunds on software.
on the bottom of the page it says UNOPENED refund.
I DONT EVEN HAVE THE Fing game...give me a refund.
sorry

F EGG they are getting to be crap

STILL NOT DELIVERED.
sorry

take to paypal and open a claim, they'll refund you trust me

STILL NOT DELIVERED.
sorry

I'll bet money that you picked the cheapest crappiest shipping option. Guess what? You'll get the slowest crappiest service on shipping. Not Egg's fault this time.

Even if you ordered via Amazon and chose "SmartPost", you'd wait just as long.

If they just packed things up better I would be happy. I get the little tiny piece of packing with an item rolling around inside the last couple things I bought from newegg. Its like there is some shortage of packing material or something. Usually it is just the packaging on the item that is damaged but it still looks bad to have an item looking used that you paid full price for.

STILL NOT DELIVERED.
sorry

I dont understand some peoples logic sometimes. How this is neweggs fault is beyond me. If you choose the cheapest shipping method, if it goes slowly, thats the carriers fault, not newegg. What do you expect for the cheapest ground shipping method...

Also. I dont know where you are used to shopping from but, why would anyone give a refund for something that is still in transit? This is not how it works. To get a refund on items, you have to ship them back to the company and they have to process it before a refund is issued.

Lastly, I have purchased tons of stuff from newegg in the past and have always had great customer service.

Last edited:
Since I live in Alaska, amazon (prime) is a no brainer for me. Neweggs free shipping has always excluded Alaska.

i bought a sata cable through them last week monday, still haven't received it. tracking doesn't show a damn thing... i remember when newegg use to dish out free 2-3 day shipping ... :(

they are shipping a lot of freeshipping small stuff via USPS and it takes forever, their 2-3 days is alwyas UPS.

yea 8 days and nothing.
Like I said this is pure bs and it less than 200 miles.
They responded by saying they shipped ups and that ups then sent it thru usps.
BULL SHIT

I contacted ups and they have no record of anything.

But what I said was I wanted a refund on an undelivered item.
THEY REFUSED its a game and we can't do that.
So lost in shipping and full of lies
F newegg

yea 8 days and nothing.
BULL SHIT

F newegg

If UPS handed it off for local delivery to USPS, that means you had free crappy shipping. Can't refund an undelivered item, hoss. No merchant out there does that.

You have gripes, but NewEgg ain't to blame this time.

yea 8 days and nothing.
BULL SHIT

F newegg

If it didn't show up then charge back that order.

Since I live in Alaska, amazon (prime) is a no brainer for me. Neweggs free shipping has always excluded Alaska.

Good work man! I know it runs a shit load to ship there.

If it didn't show up then charge back that order.

Charge backs are such horse shit. People abuse them all the time. It ends up costing everyone more money. I am sure if he post on the BBB website and keeps following up he will get his money back. Not only will it be faster for him, it will keep cost lower, allow newegg to make a wrong right, ect ect.

I only shop at amazon now.

Amazon treat customers as kings and queens, getting amazon prime is a must!

Since moving to the SF Bay Area, I have been going to Micro Center since prices are competitive and MC was instant. But they closed two months ago and now back to newegg which I find just fine. Sure there are tons of marketplace items but a lot of them are good deals (but of course many no name stuff).

Charge backs are such horse shit. People abuse them all the time. It ends up costing everyone more money. I am sure if he post on the BBB website and keeps following up he will get his money back. Not only will it be faster for him, it will keep cost lower, allow newegg to make a wrong right, ect ect.

BBB? Faster? You are either a shill for newgg and the credit card companies or just plain out of your head. BBB is ridiculously lame and will take MONTHS to respond. Better to get his money back from the card and be done with it.

hate to break it to you BUD
If UPS handed it off for local delivery to USPS
UPS says they never had this and did NOT hand it off to USPS
A LIE FROM EGG I GUESS
and egg says that it was handed off at pickup not delivery LIE
I wonder if its one of their new companies that is selling thru newegg and just a rip off.

overall newegg sucks and is just looking for a way to say we have your money go F yourself

Visa is in on it now
I want to get my local attorney general and the gov n on mail fraud if it was shipped usps (or was ever even shipped)....wonder if that will work

hate to break it to you BUD
If UPS handed it off for local delivery to USPS
UPS says they never had this and did NOT hand it off to USPS
A LIE FROM EGG I GUESS
and egg says that it was handed off at pickup not delivery LIE
I wonder if its one of their new companies that is selling thru newegg and just a rip off.

overall newegg sucks and is just looking for a way to say we have your money go F yourself

Visa is in on it now
I want to get my local attorney general and the gov n on mail fraud if it was shipped usps (or was ever even shipped)....wonder if that will work

Oh puh-leeze, enough with the drama. A vendor makes a crappy choice about shipping and an order gets screwed up. It happens. Do the charge back and move on.

Oh puh-leeze, enough with the drama. A vendor makes a crappy choice about shipping and an order gets screwed up. It happens. Do the charge back and move on.

This.

Do you really have enough free time to have a personal vendetta over a piece of software that got lost in shipping? If you are going to go as far as to waste your fellow American's tax dollars on this, why not go ahead and try for a class action lawsuit against the CEO/shareholders of Newegg, UPS and USPS? Totally a better use of time than a 10 minute phone call to the bank. Sounds like you need a hobby.

Newegg is trying to expand and therefore becoming a bit more bloated? Last I checked Neweggs profit margins were tiny ( 0.8%) so can't blame them for trying to expand.

Back