Newegg is a wasteland

Haha, what? Newegg does NOT control the shipping routes of shipping distributors.

No, but they can choose to drop carriers that stupidly route packages often or often misroute packages. I don't think that happens a lot but I do remember a USPS package going from sea to shining sea before finally being routed to my apartment in the midwest :(.

Also, consumers CAN decide on their shipping carrier between FedEx, UPS and cheap alternative prior to purchase, want one of those instead then pay the tiny difference and quit crying over your FREE SHIPPING option.

UPS and FedEx offer similar rates to consumers when you go to their desks for shipping. NewEgg charges more for one carrier over the other, most likely because some sort of deal was cut. Why not negotiate with both to get similar pricing?

USPS, in my experience, always charges less but packages are slower and more likely to be mishandled. But that's not my point -- I'm taking about UPS and FedEx.

No, but they can choose to drop carriers that stupidly route packages often or often misroute packages. I don't think that happens a lot but I do remember a USPS package going from sea to shining sea before finally being routed to my apartment in the midwest :(.

UPS and FedEx offer similar rates to consumers when you go to their desks for shipping. NewEgg charges more for one carrier over the other, most likely because some sort of deal was cut. Why not negotiate with both to get similar pricing?

USPS, in my experience, always charges less but packages are slower and more likely to be mishandled. But that's not my point -- I'm taking about UPS and FedEx.

If deals are negotiated for cheaper shipping rates from a carrier then the deal usually includes non-competitor agreements where Newegg is not able to make deals with another carrier. This is not new, there are numerous companies that do this...

Like I said, Newegg provides alternative carriers to ship through, usually for little cost extra. If you don't like their default shipping option then just pay the minuscule difference and get another carrier. No need to rage at Newegg for something that is out of their control.

NewEgg does control that -- they always have the option to ship via a different carrier or insist the carrier treat their packages well. Or maybe get both carriers to offer identical shipping rates so the consumer can decide.

I, for one, refuse to order anything from them that involves EggSaver Shipping. I don't care for my package to be flown about in DHL-hell before being handed off to the USPS for local delivery 2 weeks later.

Don't bother, he's a True Believer.

Maybe I'm being a bit obtuse, but I'm a bit confused about this comment. I figured I would PM you and ask in private. You mean 'exlink' is a NewEgg fanboy? :)

Yeah, that's what he meant. But his childish attitude and inability to produce a valid argument made me feel like responding to him would be utterly pointless.

Regardless, I, and countless other individuals, have shopped at Newegg for the past decade without a single problem and have received excellent prices and customer service. I will defend a company that provides this type of service (be it Newegg or any other retailer) from the bashing of impatient and deficient individuals. Call me a fanboy or "True Believer" for all I care, I will back up good companies and brands.

No offense to you, exlink. I was confused by PaperclipGod's post. Somehow I managed to type that message into the wrong window on HardForum and posted it in public rather than in PM. For some reason I thought paperclip was referring to me. Damn tabbed browsing. We need to go back to command line interfaces with uni-tasking operating systems so that you simply cannot screw this kind of stuff up!

In 2009 I did 10k worth of business @ Newegg. In 2010 I did around 2k worth. In 2011 I did 350 (wanted a mobo combo and my usual suppliers were OOS). In 2012 I unsubscribed to all correspondence and forgot that the site was ever worth visiting.

In 2009 I did 10k worth of business @ Newegg. In 2010 I did around 2k worth. In 2011 I did 350 (wanted a mobo combo and my usual suppliers were OOS). In 2012 I unsubscribed to all correspondence and forgot that the site was ever worth visiting.

Wow, that's a lot of business and a big change. My numbers aren't as high as yours but why not brag a little :p.

2006 = $40
2007 = $508
2008 = $530
2009 = $2200
2010 = $3200
2011 = $1263 (first six months only, bad customer service experience so I took my business elsewhere after that)
2012 = $140 (only because NewEgg was the first to have Corsair 550D stock)

I don't plan on doing any more business with NewEgg, either, as my sole 2012 order was catapulted by UPS and NewEgg was a pain in the ass when it came to getting a replacement shipped to me. When it is time for me to upgrade my GPU (maybe in the fall if I'm lucky) I'm buying from Amazon. I like having the option to actually return the GPU for a full refund as opposed to NewEgg's shitty "VGA Replacement Only Return Policy."

Reduce those fractions, noob. :D

I agree, NewEgg is lackluster, as of current day.

No those are real numbers. I used to build 30-40 computers a year from newegg and 10-20 servers every 3 years. Back then even major distributors couldn't beat newegg for price selection and service. there were periods I maxed the company credit card(s) monthly. We were one of the hardest to push newegg to take PO's.

I can't even remember the last NewEgg order I had. Mwave and Amazon are my two go-to places now, they offer great pricing and shipping and I've not once been let down with either. NewEgg shed their focus on enthusiasts a long time ago opting to rake in real profits by catering to general consumers and businesses. I can't really blame them as they seem to be doing better than ever financially, but I've not seen one compelling deal on their site for years.

The only thing I've ever tried to order from Newegg that was out of stock in the six years I've been using them are the i7-3770K and the Diablo III Collector's Edition.

I'll continue to shop there, haters be damned.

NewEgg opened some warehouse in NJ so all of their prices went up 7% for me. I have one more year of tax-free Amazon because they're doing the same. Walls are closing in!

I did have a couple of recent orders through NewEgg though, 2 of 3 returned for refund just due to bad luck. I signed up for that ShopRunner trial for free 2-day shipping which helped.

Overall though I'm just not that thrilled with NewEgg anymore. Their "normal" shipping takes longer coming from my own state that it does from CA. Their ship times used to be awesome! Same with prices. Other than being a hub of good reviews from a somewhat more knowledgeable crowd, they don't really stand out anymore among retailers. They lost half of my business to Amazon and another 30% to everybody else.

NewEgg opened some warehouse in NJ so all of their prices went up 7% for me. I have one more year of tax-free Amazon because they're doing the same. Walls are closing in!

I did have a couple of recent orders through NewEgg though, 2 of 3 returned for refund just due to bad luck. I signed up for that ShopRunner trial for free 2-day shipping which helped.

Overall though I'm just not that thrilled with NewEgg anymore. Their "normal" shipping takes longer coming from my own state that it does from CA. Their ship times used to be awesome! Same with prices. Other than being a hub of good reviews from a somewhat more knowledgeable crowd, they don't really stand out anymore among retailers. They lost half of my business to Amazon and another 30% to everybody else.

Sounds like a good enough reason to leave NJ (like oyu didn't already have 5,000).

i haven't shopped at newegg in like um almost year and half now, it only helps if you are getting like whole system worth i see their deals in mail and when checked on amazon the same items is cheaper including shipping.

For me, Newegg still has some of the best prices. Amazon is almost always more expensive due to tax.

Other times, I use promo codes for Newegg. Tiger is probably the next closest for pricing, but they take 10 minutes on the phone to PM newegg. Example; I tried having TD PM newegg for a motherboard that newegg had on sale for $89.99 with free shipping. It was a Biostar TZ77B board and after a 10 minute chat session they said they would have to do a phone order.

I asked in the beginning of chat if they would pricematch newegg's price and free shipping.
Tiger Direct reps seemed sincere, but in the end they refused to give the free shipping. So, I wasted 30 minutes with TD when they said they would PM, to find out they won't PM and give free shipping.

So I bought the motherboard from Newegg instead.

I don't live near Microcenter or Frys and Amazon charges sales tax. I haven't had any problems with newegg, so I will continue to shop there.

Sounds like a good enough reason to leave NJ (like oyu didn't already have 5,000).

I noticed with my last order from them that shipping took almost twice as long,despite the fact that their NJ warehouse is only a couple of hours drive from my home in PA.

Ever since I was charged a restocking fee for a refunded DOA item several months ago, newegg is at the bottom of my list. I have actually gone so far as to pay extra at Worst Buy instead.

On the whole, Newegg has never been a problem for me. I'm in Staten Island and shipping from Edison NJ is always next day while the Cali shipments are almost always three days. I haven't received a poorly packaged or broken item and I've ordered quite a bit from them. Eggsaver can eat a dick, I hate that shipping method and I run to another retailer if I can get free UPS or Fedex shipping for the item at the same price or within a couple of dollars. I have never been charged a restocking fee, but I've also been a frequent customer since they opened many years ago and I don't return things very often.

I'm fine with the egg. generally NJ warehouse location gets me stuff in 1 day.
Never had an argument about returns, although I've only returned one item in 10 years.

Amazon charges me tax. I generally still use it for all things non-computer.

Tiger has screwed with me a couple of times so I stay away from them like the flu unless no one has the item.

Tell you what....superbiiz is my new place to go.....pretty good prices and they are fast, fast.:D

used to use mwave but they have really fallen off the radar.

another strange thing about Newegg nowadays is that I can buy parts for my AR-15 there. (not that I do) but that's not the strange part.. they have the brands mixed up.. for example.. look up AR-15 parts.. all branded ATI (not the videocard manufacturer) are labeled with the ATI logo (video card manufacturer) even says ATI FIREPRO GRAPHICS. weird.

This reminds me of a restaurant I used to pass everyday while going to work in Houston... it had a sign that said.. "American Food, Indian Food, Seafood, Chinese Food and Small Engine Repair in the back."

but I still love me some newegg since shipping from Memphis get's to me in one day.

Tiger has screwed with me a couple of times so I stay away from them like the flu unless no one has the item.
I've been fkd twice by them so they are a total last resort. Support is pretty fking arrogant as well, I don't like dealing with them.

Amazon has taken 100% of my business from newegg, and I used to do alot of newegg shopping.
Taxes kill it for me most of the time and ridiculous shipping charges for non-prime computer components.

another strange thing about Newegg nowadays is that I can buy parts for my AR-15 there. (not that I do) but that's not the strange part.. they have the brands mixed up.. for example.. look up AR-15 parts.. all branded ATI (not the videocard manufacturer) are labeled with the ATI logo (video card manufacturer) even says ATI FIREPRO GRAPHICS. weird.

I'm not sure about you, but I would love me some AMD/ATI branded firearms or parts. Screw playing Crysis, my life IS Crysis.

They really have gone downhill, however I will still buy from them if they have a good deal. The no tax and generally 2 day shipping is usually worth it for me in WA. But I do buy more from amazon especially since I do have prime despite having to pay sales tax on everything.

I still order here and there from NewEgg, but Amazon's better in most cases. Prime makes that no contest.
I agree with featsdontfailme about Superbiiz. They're good and their prices are among the lowest for almost anything. They have good support for shipping issues, too. UPS screwed up my shipment address, but they were able to fix it, speed it up to 2nd day, and even discount it to $0 for me.

I will admit that newegg is no longer smoking hot but i fail to see amazon offering better deals, even video cards that are used on amazon cost damn near retail when the item was new.

Amazon's search feature blows too, you type in 7970 and you get all sorts of shit like 5850's and so on. I goto amazon for books, movies, paintball, non computer related parts. I use newegg for 90% of my computer components, ive had good luck with tigerdirect/compusa for laptops.

superbiiz might be something i start looking into...

I will admit that newegg is no longer smoking hot but i fail to see amazon offering better deals, even video cards that are used on amazon cost damn near retail when the item was new.

Amazon's search feature blows too, you type in 7970 and you get all sorts of shit like 5850's and so on. I goto amazon for books, movies, paintball, non computer related parts. I use newegg for 90% of my computer components, ive had good luck with tigerdirect/compusa for laptops.

superbiiz might be something i start looking into...

That's my #1 issue with Amazon - finding what you actually want is next to impossible, and unless there is a very good deal, I refuse to purchase computer products from Amazon for that reason.

Newegg has the best search/sort functionality, hands down, and their customer service has been fantastic to me over the decade+ that I've been using them. I've been burned with other companies before, so I'm leery of going through anyone else unless the savings are significant.

Finding stuff on Amazon usually sux, but most of the time if I find something and put in the model number, it finds it and is cheaper then Newegg. Or close enough that my prime shipping makes it more attractive.

Newegg has the best search/sort functionality, hands down, and their customer service has been fantastic to me over the decade+ that I've been using them. I've been burned with other companies before, so I'm leery of going through anyone else unless the savings are significant.
Amazon is much better on customer service than Newegg.

I don't think I've ever heard of Newegg price matching, but Amazon does quite often (they did on my TV at least, saved tax and shipping that way).

Amazon virtually has a Walmart return policy, where they take almost anything back and give you a prepaid packing slip so there is no return charge. You don't even have to talk to anyone, just use the online form and say something insignificant or nonsensical is wrong with it... voila.

Newegg by contrast has many products that no matter what they won't take back, and the rest is almost all under a 15% restocking fee after you pay return shipping and waste your time on hold speaking to a CSR.

I still find some decent deals on NewEgg, but for more obscure items I had no intention on buying until I saw the deal. Anything that I plan or want to purchase I don't really find deals on, at least at the time I am going to order them.

I just ordered a Lian Li case that was $129 on the site, had free shipping + $65 off instantly so I got it for $64. No intention to get it in the first place but was a good deal.

I still find some decent deals on NewEgg, but for more obscure items I had no intention on buying until I saw the deal.

This. I do the same. Damn deals via their emails. Shell shockers I get txt'd to me every morning. I dont mind waking up to a deal I never intended to buy that day. I picked up a nice laser color printer for $119 that normally goes for $299 for the fam. Works fantastic.

On the other hand, I agree that EggSaver shipping sucks donkey. I dont like getting $150-$200 items (Laptop Ram) being shipped to me in some padded envelope that takes 7 days to get here and goes from Cali, to Washington, back to Oregon (always goes the same route everytime with EggSaver).

Pure Rage when I see those damn yellow envelopes.

Here is one thing I hate. You know those deals where you have to add it to the shopping cart to see the price? Well, NewEgg has taken it to a whole new level. You have to add it to the shopping cart and you still do not see the price. You have to provide your credit card details now as well.

EDIT: example item that I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252169

Last edited:
Here is one thing I hate. You know those deals where you have to add it to the shopping cart to see the price? Well, NewEgg has taken it to a whole new level. You have to add it to the shopping cart and you still do not see the price. You have to provide your credit card details now as well.

:( that is a shame

I hate the merchant thing with respect to shipping and handling. Ordered like 5 things on Amazon and discovered the shipping and handling was through the roof because I actually ordered them from seperate merchants, I was like screw that and simply got items I wanted from Amazon so the shipping and handling was stable

I didn't know that. Thanks for posting. **shakes head**

I've been noticing a trend with Newegg... I've ordered a few things from them lately. To me, their service is still pretty good, but I've never had to RMA anything. The issue I see is their prices are now only competitive when they have deals, and I feel like they're falling into the marketing scheme of other major retailers... for instance, jacking up the price and pretending you get a discount through them to show you more savings than anyone else when really you're paying the same or more than if you'd go somewhere else. Lots of price checks favor Amazon nowadays.

Also, I've had a few deals where they've advertised a MIR, but after the purchase when I got around to reading the fine print, the rebate was no good on the date I purchased... I know, my fault for not reading before buying, but they shouldn't have been advertising the MIR if it was no good at that time.

I still buy from them, but I can't help but think I can get a better deal elsewhere if I just look around a bit.

That really sucks. At the root of all these deals, there's a marketing initiative to get more product out the door (or get their name out there or whatever). I don't see how these requirements are incentivizing more sales when you practically have to be buying the product anyway to see the reduced price. ...so confused.

Back