NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. DrunkenMercenary

DrunkenMercenary n00b

I’ve actually already managed to mount two 140mm fans bellow the gpu see my post with picture above. It’s a Gigabyte rtx 2080 windforce with two TY147’s beneath it. I’ll start with mounting my cpu cooler and all the other intake/exhaust fans and see how my overal temps will be. If needed I’ll purchase the Arctic Accelero!

It’s SO nice to see that Noctua is finally releasing more black fans. Have to say I like the grey-ish ones as well to be honest.

2. TurpoUrpo

TurpoUrpo n00b

So it has passed many years as there has been no tangible performance uplift from i7-4770k. But now its time to build a new M1 build and retire the old one in original v1 M1, maybe I need to "museum" it :).

It also seems that it would be all AMD this time around and not with greatest performance as the gaming part is lot less nowdays for some reason.

What is the most quiet way to build cooling today in M1, I like watercooling, but is it really worth it what comes to loudness and dust mitigation of insedes of the case?

So Necere no changelog yet for V6?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM
  3. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

I wish they would do an A version of the 92mm fan. They're working on 140mm now, but I hope 92mm is next. They really take their time.

4. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Prime Day is on. Some amazing deals on SSDs.

5. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

Still got my 4770k going in an NCASE M1 v1 from the initial batch. I've upgraded the GPU but have found no reason to upgrade the CPU yet. I'd definitely go team red with an Accelero 3 cooler and some Noctua fans.

TurpoUrpo and Qrash like this.
  6. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

I'm in the same situation almost (4790K). I'm in no rush, but a new Zen 2 in my Rev. 4 M1 is awfully tempting.

BTW, did you see Optimum Tech's video today? He was able to undervolt a 3900X to only 1.0 Volt. This really reduced the power draw and hence its temperature. Unfortunately, it also caused a performance hit so he pulled the video until he can do more testing to find out at what voltage the performance drop occurs and how much of a drop there is.

TurpoUrpo likes this.
  7. M1AF

M1AF Limp Gawd

Waiting for V6 be like
    20190715_205924.jpg

TurpoUrpo and xSDMx like this.
  8. AG1M

AG1M [H]Lite

The problem is with this low voltage the clock speeds are lower too, but the monitoring tools only count and detect the peak clock speeds, that's why the perfomance is decreased in real world. This mechanism for the AMD CPU is called "Clock Stretching", so the boost clock looks like you have a all core speed like 4.2 GHz, but the true is your all core speed is lower, to avoid with undervolt settings a unstable system. So it's better to manually set the voltage/clock instead of using the boost and "auto" settings to gain to perfomance and lower power draw.

I only can share a German source for this, but I think with Google Translator it should be ok to understand: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...uen-ryzen-prozessoren-wenig-effektiv-ist.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 2:45 PM
  9. Qrash

Qrash Gawd

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out.

Yeah, Optimum Tech posted a follow-up video today that stated the previous one was in error. It seems undervolting in the BIOS doesn't work right for Zen 2 CPUs so he used Ryzen Master to undervolt. This application forces the user to set an all-core fixed clock speed when adjusting the Vcore. So, Ryzen's normal boosting behaviour is disabled which adversely affects single and lightly threaded tasks. Anyway, the performance decrease when undervolting this way will vary between applications so it might not be too bad and the heating load is less. Still, who buys a 3900X and then downclocks it (effectively)?

10. TurpoUrpo

TurpoUrpo n00b