NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by wahaha360, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

So, I am guess the bottom fans are set to intake, or...?

2. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Necere - So it seems the SO-DIMM.2 module on the M-DTX Impact board is 82mm tall (from the motherboard PCB surface)...

What is the maximum clearance for a radiator/fans stack on the side bracket then...? I am guessing about 50mm...?

3. teo

teo n00b

It’s 130mm clearance to the bracket for a cpu cooler, less 25mm fans and 30mm rad leaves 75mm. Slim fans would leave you ~85mm

4. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I was really hoping it was less than 75mm so you would have clearance for radiator + fan.

5. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

But that 130mm is measured from the top of the CPU itself, yeah...?

So the clearance from the top of the motherboard PCB surface to the side bracket should be about 135mm or so...?

Maybe a 55mm thick AIO stack would JUST fit, possibly within a millimeter +/- of the SO-DIMM.2 module...?

6. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Yeah, the CPU socket is about 8mm tall. Overall clearance from the motherboard PCB to the side bracket is ~139mm.

Boil likes this.
  7. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

So no 65mm thick Enermax AIO stack...

8. Necere

Necere 2[H]4U

Well, there's a chance: there's about 20-25mm between the GPU and the radiator (27-34mm with the fan bracket in the upper position), and judging by the pics it's possible the daughterboard will fit right into that gap.

Boil likes this.
  9. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

I did not even think of that particular gap...!

Good to know, thanks...!

10. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

Yes. For now. Honestly, I'll probably move this system into a Cerberus case if only because the way I have to position my system literally blows the hot exhaust air at me.

11. Alakan

Alakan n00b

I'm honestly torn between this new DTX impact interfering with my other dream components, but it just seems so compelling still.

Probably can't fit the Dark Rock TF for the CPU, a GPU with a backplate, aftermarket heatsink and bottom mounted noctua fans.

I could just not put the daughterboard in, but that means no m.2

Kinda wish asus didn't go crazy with the dual m.2 and just kept the design of the old impact which had the sound card and one m.2 on a much smaller daughterboard that didn't interfere with other components.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  12. rfarmer

rfarmer [H]ard|Gawd

I totally agree. I have been planning an AMD build and I am seriously considering moving my gaming rig back to my M1 just so I can use this motherboard.

13. Blindphleb

Blindphleb n00b

I don't think the last impact board even had m.2. It had a daughter board for sound and one for vrm. Maybe you were thinking about the last strix board, and if so, Asus has one of those for the new chipset too.

14. Smitty2k1

Smitty2k1 Gawd

The Intel compatible Impact boards all had M.2, well at least my Impact VI with i7-4770k has one.

15. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Has anyone thought about using the Alphacool Eisbaer Solo in the NCase M1? It combines a CPU block, pump, and a reservoir into a single large CPU block, so you can do a custom loop without a separate pump/res. Would love to see a build with it.

16. harsaphes

harsaphes [H]ardness Supreme

17. Greeley

Greeley Limp Gawd

so whats the final consensus on the silver arrow arrow 130 in the ncase vs a u9s?

18. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

I forgot about this one. Looked at it briefly a few years back but its doesnt jive with my x99 itx with the narrow ilm mounting. Zen2 being am4 makes this look like a great option again

19. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

I don't know if this is news, but there are now affordable 32GB DDR4 sticks from Samsung:

Samsung DDR4-2666 32GB/2Gx8 CL19 Desktop Memory

No fancy heatspreaders and it's only 2666 MHz, but this is a single stick of 32GB non-ECC unbuffered desktop memory, only $165. It's now possible to have 64GB RAM in almost any recent ITX board. (of course check if your board supports it)

Neapolitan6th likes this.
  20. Neapolitan6th

Neapolitan6th Gawd

That's actually really good news. Should be a good sign that we'll see some more enthusiast kits releasing before long.

21. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

...and it's CAS19...

Nice to see the capacity jump, it's just pretty far off from what an 'enthusiast' would want; generally speaking, systems with the cores to really make use of so much RAM would also benefit from faster RAM.

22. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

Looking for that 64GB kit (2@32GB DIMMs, 3600MT/s, CAS16) of G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 RAM...?

23. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  24. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

Anyone interested in a spare ncase. Pretty bare bones but I'm trying to gauge interest.

25. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

Are you selling one?

I've been interested in one for a few years and never got around to getting one. Kind of bummed to see the optical drive version discontinued as I have a slot blu-ray drive just sitting around....

I couldn't find anything definitive on V6

26. Engr62

Engr62 Limp Gawd

He has already sold it

27. AG1M

AG1M [H]Lite

In general nice, more RAM is always great, but on a (very good) two DIMM slot ITX board the RAM speed will be very limited. Short example with an ASRock Z370 ITX and very good binned Samsung B-Die memory:

With 2x8 GB I can easily OC my RAM to DDR4-4500 CL18 stable, booting up to DDR4-4700 no problem
    With 2x16 GB I have a very good IMC with my CPU, but still a "wall" at DDR-3733 CL16 (with the best board for RAM OC - Maximus XI Gene - using the same RAM @ 2x16 GB DDR4-4133 CL17 was possible)
    So with 2x32 GB anything around ~ DDR4-3000-3200 will be tough if this scales like that before with 2x8 GB vs 2x16 GB.

workshop35 likes this.
  28. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

29. AG1M

AG1M [H]Lite

Sweet great information, it seems the 32 GB moduels scales almost like 16 GB modules, 64 GB on ITX with decent speed / timings no dream anymore, now I need to get rid of these 2x16 GB kit and get this 2x32 GB kit instead. :angelic:

30. xSDMx

xSDMx Gawd

Given these findings, I'm thinking about trying the following setup:
    • Corsair h100i Pro w/ 2xA12x25 as intake.
    • Morpheus II w/ 2xA12x15 as intake.
    • A9x14 as chassis exhaust.
    Am I shooting myself in the foot here? I'm currently running with the Morpheus II in exhaust configuration (per recommendations) and it's OK. I'm having to hit 1800 RPM when gaming which matches closely to the higher RPM speeds that u/SmootyPoody observed. These findings are making me think that the bottom exhaust is only critical if you have a heatsink intaking hot air inside the chassis.

31. QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced Gawd

Just noticed that the $999 EVGA 2080 Ti is in stock. I still think it's overpriced, but if anyone is looking, this is the best deal you'll get.

32. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

You DO have a heat sink intaking hot air inside the chassis, it is just shaped like a water cooling radiator...

If you want to add the 92mm fan, then try it as intake...?

33. xSDMx

xSDMx Gawd

I tested aio + exhaust vs. intake GPU. The difference is IMHO negligible:

I think it's more of an issue if you're running a cpu heatsink that pulls air directly from the inside of the chassis. My aio radiator pulls cool air directly from the side vents.

That said, there are some non-thermal pros/cons:
    • With exhaust + a big gpu, you're dumping a lot of heat onto your desk. I, personally, didn't like having a hand warmer, nor did I feel comfortable dumping so much hot air onto my laminate desk.
    • The sound signature, IMHO, is better with exhaust vs. intake. With intake, there is definitely a droning sound that I believe is likely due to turbulence.
    Hope that's useful for folks!

34. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody n00b

I found something similare with the H100 Platinum. Because the AIO intakes cold air direct from the outside it does not really matter to the CPU temp if the GPU is exhausting or intaking. One could say that the CPU cooling is isolated from any outside heating (aside from ambient). But I did have cooler temps on the GPU when the GPU was intaking fresh air rather than using the air from within the case. I had 3c difference higher temps + 300rpm more on the exhausting setup (using air from within the case).

Here represented with test #4 vs #5 in the bottom of the sheet.

xSDMx and rfarmer like this.
  35. DrunkenMercenary

DrunkenMercenary n00b

Im currently thinking about getting the Arctic Accelero GPU cooler for my build. Currently under load (only tested on DOOM so far) my GPU reaches a max temp of 74 degrees . The GPU I've got is the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce and I actually managed to place two Thermalright TY147's below the GPU. Haven't tested the GPU without the two bottom fans as intake, but will do that soon. Not sure if the extra airflow from two fans or more air/room for the GPU hitsink + fan will have better temps.

Which version of the Arctic Accelero cooler do I need. Quite sure that the Windforce model is using the default PCB?

Some specs:
    Asus B450 I gaming strix
    Ryzen 2700 (now with stock cooler, still need to mount the Noctua C12P + 150mm noctua fan)
    Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce

Going to install exhaust 92 mm fan and intake or exhaust (not sure yet) 120 mm fan on the side.

Image of the build without the side and top panels (sorry for potato quality and build is still quite messy):

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

36. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

Wow, do you have a Noctua C12P?! That’s awesome if you do :). I’ve never seen one as it’s been discontinued before I started getting back into pc building 4-5 years ago.

To answer your question, the Arctic Accelero III is the one you’d want to mount on your 2080. I’m not 100% sure if the Windforce PCB is reference. I had the Accelero III on my 2080FE, and some of the Accelero heat pipes interferes with the vram mini heatsinks. They’re not needed as long as there’s airflow.

Also the two bottom 25mm x 120mm fans should be set up exhaust for best overall cooling.

37. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

I would have 120mmx25mm as intake on the front of the side bracket & 92mmx25mm on the rear as exhaust, and (with the Accelero) two 120mmx25mm fans as exhaust...

Also, use Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans for the three 120mm fans, and a Noctua NF-A9 PWM fan for the rear exhaust (black versions of the A9 should be available in October & black versions of the 12x25s should be available sometime 1H2020, use coffee & cream until then)...

For the two fans exhausting on the bottom, use as Gelid VGA adapter & a Y-splitter attached to the fan connector on the gpu pcb...

Nanook likes this.
  38. DrunkenMercenary

DrunkenMercenary n00b

Isn't cooling the VRAM's quite important? The whole issue with previous gen there were all those EVGA gpu's which had bad cooling on the VRAM which caused all of em to go dead. But the the #3 is the one to go for?

I can't live with the brown noctua's! Setup I have planned is a 150mm Noctua NF-A15 for CPU cooler (topdown Noctua C12P), 120mm Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PL2 as intake on the side, 92mm Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PE-1 as exhaust of the case and two 140mm Thermalright TY147's (in combination with the Arctic Accelero). Would two 120mm fans at the bottom be more sufficient than two 140mm TY147's?

39. Nanook

Nanook Limp Gawd

The III is the one that comes with all the small VRM / Vram heatsinks. The IV comes with a giant passive heatsink backplate that won't fit with most air coolers in the M1. In regards to the EVGA failed ACX line, they had problems with VRM overheating, the Vram doesn't get as hot as the VRM.

40. Boil

Boil [H]ard|Gawd

The 140s might not fit, but a pair of 120s will...?

I also am in the Coffee & Cream VS. Black camp...
    I have purchased a 'poop brown' NF-A9 PWM fan for my rear exhaust (Cerberus chassis), it will be replaced with a black version in October...
    I have two NF-S12A PWM fans I will use until the black 12x25s come out, and I will use the stock fans on my Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO unitl I can replace those with a pair of 12x25s...

The sacrifices we make for quite cooling...!?!

From the Noctua website:

In the chromax line, Noctua showed all-black versions of the NH-D15, NH-U12S and NH-L9i as well as black versions of the NF-A20, NF-A9, NF-A9x14 and NF-A8 fans, all of which are scheduled for release in Q4 2019. The black versions of the NF-A12x25 and NF-A12x15 that were on display are on the roadmap for the first half of 2020. In addition to its black chromax line fans, Noctua displayed white variants of the NF-A15, NF-A14 and NF-F12 that are targeted for the first half of 2020 as well. The chromax line heatsink covers for the NH-U14S and NH-U14S TR4-SP3 will be available shortly.

QuantumBraced and rfarmer like this.