MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

Maybe but its not the pick of the litter in comparison to what Gigabyte and possibly what Asus has to offer, so i'm just gonna be patient and not have regrets later on

The g1 is much bigger, low asics reported and prettymuch the same clock ability (under 10mhz difference) temps within 3c. If you have regrets over those differences you must be OCD.

The g1 is much bigger, low asics reported and prettymuch the same clock ability (under 10mhz difference) temps within 3c. If you have regrets over those differences you must be OCD.

The Gigabyte is longer, but the MSI is taller. 140mm vs 129mm height. ASICs seem to be pretty normal range and don't matter much anyway.

I'm amazed at how quiet the MSI Gaming card is. I have my case open and I don't even hear it when maxing out Crysis 3. The gpu is only running at 1452 as I really don't need more from it yet.

The latest batch from New Egg are getting great reviews for the G1.

High ASIC (81.5%)
Great quality
NO Coil Whine
Great price
Awesome Windforce Logo
Great temperatures
Incredibly quiet at idle / load
Backplate
"Stop" LED lets you know when fans are off

The thermal imaging data from previous Guru3D reviews between Giggabyte and MSI, the G1 always had the superior cooling solution. The MSI looks like it's carrying over the 980 cooler, whereas the G1 is an improved solution. I think I may go with the G1 on this one.

the only thing I went for the msi was the lack of any rear exhaust on the g1, even is it's tinny on the msi, still better than nothing..

the only thing I went for the msi was the lack of any rear exhaust on the g1, even is it's tinny on the msi, still better than nothing..

If you don't have adequate airflow, that tiny exhaust won't help. Also, the G1 has an additional DVI which doesn't matter to me but to others it may.

I'm thrilled this card is only going to be $20 more than reference. I realize Newegg added $10 to the price but bhphotovideo and a few other places showing $669.99 with in-stock date of July 1.

Avoiding newegg personally since I"m in CA.

Last edited:
I'm amazed at how quiet the MSI Gaming card is. I have my case open and I don't even hear it when maxing out Crysis 3. The gpu is only running at 1452 as I really don't need more from it yet.

Yep not surprising. The MSI 970 Gaming 4G was equally quiet and I ran it 1500/8000 24/7

Is there any written reviews for this card? I couldn't be bothered watching the YouTube video review. I'm more interested in the Gigabyte G1 card, but its currently out of stock everywhere and my local PC store has this in stock.

Reviews are very strong for the MSI card, as stated before. Nothing written yet though.

Pre-ordered it. Called up B&H and they said that the website will be updated to reflect Batman soon but you can call CSR if you've already pre-ordered it.

Has B&H had the lowest price on this card so far?

I was barely getting by with 3 OG Titans @ 4k in the Witcher 3, with 1 980 Ti it sure isn't enough. I definitely need a second.:(

Thanks for the link.

With all the 4k hype there are games that even the fastest cards can't handle at 1080p.

I put in a preorder for the MSI as well. The G1 has gone up to 700 at B&H. I like the G1 but I think it's a little too long and will snag the cables from my power supply.

That review is weird as hell. The weirdest one is the Asus GTX980 Matrix SLI.
21084639183l.jpg

Is B&H Photo a trust worthy store?

I talked to a rep on chat for a good 15 mins and I liked what I heard, especially for no restocking free refunds and cross exchanges for bad products. I'm desperate for Gigabyte 980ti so I preorded for next week

Their international shipping is such a rip off. 83 bucks versus 45 that Amazon charges me. Grrr.

my order from germany is still pending, how come overclockers.uk has tons of these cards in stock and even the unicorn monitor acer xb270hu but not other big retail shops across europe ?

My brothers MSI Gaming showed up yesterday. I like it, runs quiet, looks nice, bulky as hell but great cooler. Haven't tried OCing it yet but all he's playing right now is Witcher 3 anyway.

Not sure I believe that GTA V 4K bench

What specifically is unbelievable? This card is a beast, the 980 Ti is a monster overclocker anyway, and married to this cooling solution which is one of the best for air. Should do 1500MHz with ease.

Excepting Asus coming out with some $700-$900 ROG edition MARS IV edition of 980Ti, this MSI Gaming 6G and the Gigabyte G1 are going to be the pinnacle of off-the-shelf gaming performance until Pascal.

Last edited:
Never, ever had a problem with B&H. Class A. Couldn't say the same for TigerDirect.

What specifically is unbelievable? This card is a beast, the 980 Ti is a monster overclocker anyway, and married to this cooling solution which is one of the best for air. Should do 1500MHz with ease.

Excepting Asus coming out with some $700-$900 ROG edition MARS IV edition of 980Ti, this MSI Gaming 6G and the Gigabyte G1 are going to be the pinnacle of off-the-shelf gaming performance until Pascal.

66FPS 4K Max settings? No... I'm curious to see what they're "max" settings are. Their reference 980ti FPS is 10 higher than what [H] got without max settings.

I bought 2 of these and they are setting records for 980ti benches
http://galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-HOF-6GB_p_82.html

66FPS 4K Max settings? No... I'm curious to see what they're "max" settings are. Their reference 980ti FPS is 10 higher than what [H] got without max settings.
Where did you read "max" settings at? On the 4K review page they state

4K Gaming

To say the GTX980Ti performs well in 4K is stating the obvious. Certainly you have to make adjustments to your settings to get everything smooth, but it's a good demonstration of how easy to use the MSI Gaming is.

Who knows WHAT settings they used to get 66 FPS. That makes their 4K benches worthless.

B&H has been around for decades. I remember buying the best radar detectors from them at the best prices. Little storefront place. No worries there.

I would place the order but the lack of batman is concerning. Will check local market prices and see if they are close otherwise placing the order tonight for 2 gaming cards.

Back