MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

Has anyone tried the G1 bios on an EVGA card?
If so, does it unlock voltage up to 1.25V so it can be changed in Afterburner?

The custom BIOS for 1.25V only allows a single voltage to be set so it always is at 1.25V no matter what you do with Afterburner.
Editing the bios and setting it to 1.225V allows voltages to change again but higher than 1.225V is no longer allowed.

I'd record game play using DSR just to shut you up, but it's not worth the time to try and figure out how. Next up on Ripley's Believe It Or Not: Internet trolls really exist!

Has anyone tried the G1 bios on an EVGA card?
If so, does it unlock voltage up to 1.25V so it can be changed in Afterburner?

The custom BIOS for 1.25V only allows a single voltage to be set so it always is at 1.25V no matter what you do with Afterburner.
Editing the bios and setting it to 1.225V allows voltages to change again but higher than 1.225V is no longer allowed.

It wouldn't work - the G1 is a different custom PCB.

I'd record game play using DSR just to shut you up, but it's not worth the time to try and figure out how. Next up on Ripley's Believe It Or Not: Internet trolls really exist!

You got time be a smart ass and a jerk though. :rolleyes:

Maybe the G1 is a bit better but people with the same card as mine are making claims of maintaining well over 1500 in all games too.

You got time be a smart ass and a jerk though. :rolleyes:

Maybe the G1 is a bit better but people with the same card as mine are making claims of maintaining well over 1500 in all games too.

I've always got time for that on the internet with people who rub me the wrong way. :rolleyes:

You took that completely out of context. I was referring to those claiming to maintain over 1500 in all games with the stock BIOS.

I'm able to complete the Metro LL benchmark at 1080p all settings max at 1550Mhz, albeit I bounce 10Mhz up and down every so often doing so. This happens as soon as I start clocking the card and just in Metro/Witcher 3, and I get right up to that 60C mark. All other games I just run it at 1501 and it runs rock solid. It'll run 1550, I just don't run it that high. Cooled by a G10/H75. I don't see how 1080p is a problem, any extra horsepower just gets pushed into making more FPS instead of the pixel count on screen right? Stock bios here...

Make a video of you running Metro Last Light benchmark on very high settings with very tessellation at 1440p or 4k then I will believe you. Until then most of you can claim you maintain these clocks well above 1450 in all your games but I don't believe it. I certainly dont buy any of these 1500 mhz + claims in uncapped demanding games at 1440 or higher on stock bios. ;)

Here is my benchmark 980 ti SLI

My main card throttled at 91c
the 980 ti is a hot load of crap unless its under water and dont expect 1500+ mhz on air in SLI without some sort of super air cooling which would be louder than a freight train.
Even the new Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming WaterForce Review - Overclocking The Graphics Card, can barely hit 1550 boost.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...0_ti_extreme_gaming_waterforce_review,37.html

Better off just saving your money and downclocking it to 1450 boost and running stock auto fan profile. What does this extra 50mhz equate to ? 2-3 FPS LOL

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AFn-q5w9TTRavAk&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

cant wait for pascal

I finally got a NZXT Kraken G1 and a Corsair H90 AIO and installed it on my card. While I was at it, I got a Fractal R5 case and replaced my Corsair 600T.

Here are the temps I used to get for the GPU on air:

Idle: 49~51C
Load: 86C

With the H90 AIO on my GPU, here are the temps I now get:

Idle: 26~33C
Load: 60C

The case definitely helped. The Fractal R5 has much better airflow characteristics than the Corsair 600T, and also is about 100% quieter to boot. That's no lie or exaggeration. I can be running the PC at full load in Far Cry 4 and not hear the computer, and I'm about as sensitive as it gets when it comes to PC noise.

I somehow missed this thread. But I 100% agree with it. People who say they are maintaining 1550 core clocks on air while playing at 4k are out of their gourds... the 980ti overclock thread is filled to the rim with people saying they are getting 1500 ~ 1550 on air etc.. yeah for like 2 mins until it throttles back or at 1080p or on games that don't use more than 80% of the gpu. I've been using The Witcher 3 at 4k as my test and this game pretty much tourchers my 980ti.. it sits at 99% gpu use almost all the time... my eVGA sc+ would throttle back as far as 1360 but would hover around 1400 ~ 1418 most of the time. I was hitting the TDP wall almost immediately. I have a new msi golden (77.5% asic) that rarely dips below 1450 but usually stays at 1468 or higher... On less demanding games I can maintain 1491 and I think I can push it a bit higher.. still testing,. loads at 66c (22c ambient) with fan at 100% which I can't even hear - my exhaust fan which doesn't bother me drowns it out. I do have some intense case ventilation and a lot of room in front of the card. I am thinking about putting my old vantec slot fan in front of it to see if I can knock the load temps down a degree or two. ;)

Last edited:
Back