MSI Launches The GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

Damnit, do I want this flavor of MSI card, or do I want to wait till the initial rush slows down, and other models get released.

I ordered on BH as well...tempted to cancel it and order from NE but tax on a $680 purchase as well as the other items to apply the G10 bracket is a solid reason to keep away from the cancel button.

If one of you remove the heatsink on your card, let me know if the G10 can fit without a shim!

New WA resident from a state with no sales tax and I fucking hate it, give me income tax any day.

Wow, you would think there will be more cards available after few weeks of release. Just out of curiosity.

What's the production bottleneck normally? Shortage of memory modules?

Or it shows that demand is crazy high for these cards. Even reference cards are out of stock.

Decided to take the plunge and pre-ordered with B&H also. Enough reviews showed this card to be capable of what I want as an upgrade from the 7990, so hopefully no remorse as I jump from AMD for the first time since the 8800gtx.

New WA resident from a state with no sales tax and I fucking hate it, give me income tax any day.

If you buy from newegg and you are in Wa state like myself. No sales tax.

Thats why I dont shop at Amazon all that much

If you buy from newegg and you are in Wa state like myself. No sales tax.

Thats why I dont shop at Amazon all that much

I did this time but no weekend delivery from Newegg makes me cry as I would have had my gigabyte on Sunday, so amazon has spoiled me

What would be the best way to exhaust the heat of two of these cards in SLI without dumping too much hot air into the cpu area ?

I got a 140mm noctua fan coming with the cards, should I make a hole on the side panel or have the fan pushing air from the back of the cards to middle of them into the back of this case tj07 ?

There will be 2 empty slots between them.

Last edited:
Or it shows that demand is crazy high for these cards. Even reference cards are out of stock.

This. If anything Fury X is what led to this sudden surge. As soon as the Fury X reviews came out, there was a run on 980 Ti cards according to one retailer (OcUK). I reckon it was the same everywhere.

Jen-Hsun Huang should do the honorable thing and send Lisa Su a tanning bed with a big green bow around it as a heartfelt "thank you".

What would be the best way to exhaust the heat of two of these cards in SLI without dumping too much hot air into the cpu area ?

I got a 140mm noctua fan coming with the cards, should I make a hole on the side panel or have the fan pushing air from the back of the cards to middle of them into the back of this case tj07 ?

I am using Gigabyte G1 970 cards and the only exhausts I have are 2 140 mm fans at top of the case and my H80 cooling kit that also dissipates heat outside the case. The G1 cards actually just dump air inside the case which the top and back exhausts are happy to take out. I also have a 140 mm intake fan on front of the case that helps the air flow.

Side panel is good if you want to blow cool air from outside into the case and have exhausts at top and back.

With two cards blowing into the case I find that a side panel fan helped a lot. Mine were more cramped though (only 1 slot space between them). The side fan can be set to silent RPMs at all times but it moves enough air to get rid of it decently. This depends on the case a lot though. Front panel fans might be fine if there isn't a big drive cage in the way like there is on my Fractal Design R3.

I just got off the chat with B&H.

Barry T: I see that the expected availability for this item is approximately on /10. Once it is received, we will promptly ship it to you.
Barry T: I apologize for any inconvenience.
Barry T: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Me: yes, when I ordered it, the availability was 7/1 and it changed to 7/10. Are you saying mine is delayed or is mine going to be shipped with the initial shipment on 7/1?
Barry T: Good question. One moment please while I check for you.
Barry T: Good news, I just got off the phone with the purchasing department and they informed me your order has actually arrived into stock, and should ship either tomorrow or on Thursday. Once it ships, you will receive an email with tracking info.

The long nightmare is almost over. B&H will be shipping soon for those who ordered for the 7/1 date. If they ship Wednesday, I'll get it for Friday. Otherwise, gawdamnit!

Got my card in today, Asic 71.1%. Only clocks to 1450Mhz though, temps are at 80C playing Witcher 3. Don't think itd be worth trying to get a replacement. On the plus side, the performance is literally double that of my old 970 in this game.

Last edited:
Got my card in today, Asic 71.1%. Only clocks to 1450Mhz though, temps are at 80C playing Witcher 3. Don't think itd be worth trying to get a replacement. On the plus side, the performance is literally double that of my old 970 in this game.

Can you crank the fans up to say 80% on afterburner and let us know temps and noise? Actually, seeings how NOBODY is doing it, do with the fans at 100% and high witcher 3 load and let us know. I'm curiuos to see how well that Frozn V works with the 100mm fans going full crank and how bad the noise is.

IF however I have to send my Gigabyte card back after I finally get it when I get home soon

I just got off the chat with B&H.

The long nightmare is almost over. B&H will be shipping soon for those who ordered for the 7/1 date. If they ship Wednesday, I'll get it for Friday. Otherwise, gawdamnit!

Funny I asked the same question via email and got this very different response @10:27 am EST today:

Hello , my name is Mendy P.

Thank you for your order and for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Yes, the latest date we have from the manufacturer is 07/10/2015 As soon as its released and we receive it in stock. We will ship your order to you, and e-mail you with the tracking information.

I apologize for this delay and any inconvenience it has caused you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Mendy P
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
The Professional's Source.
E-Mail Customer Service Department
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Can you crank the fans up to say 80% on afterburner and let us know temps and noise? Actually, seeings how NOBODY is doing it, do with the fans at 100% and high witcher 3 load and let us know. I'm curiuos to see how well that Frozn V works with the 100mm fans going full crank and how bad the noise is.

IF however I have to send my Gigabyte card back after I finally get it when I get home soon

This is at 100% My HAF XB may be interfering with airflow though, as there is a sandwiched radiator with 140's on it blowing at the tail end of the card. Then I have a fan blowing upward on top of the case. Temps are now at 84C. My 970ME100 ran at 76C at 1450Mhz for comparison. I may just order the NZXT bracket and liquid cool it.

Last edited:
This is at 100% My HAF XB may be interfering with airflow though, as there is a sandwiched radiator with 140's on it blowing at the tail end of the card. Then I have a fan blowing upward on top of the case. Temps are now at 84C.
You are hitting 80 C at 1450 with fans at 100%? That makes no sense at all unless that setup is insanely restrictive.

I've got a HAF XB with 140mm Intake on the front, 120mm exhaust on the back. top is a 220 exhaust. Its 75F in this room. My 970 ran warm in this case as well, it was also a Twin Frozr @ 76.. 80-90% speed on that one

This is at 100% My HAF XB may be interfering with airflow though, as there is a sandwiched radiator with 140's on it blowing at the tail end of the card. Then I have a fan blowing upward on top of the case. Temps are now at 84C. My 970ME100 ran at 76C at 1450Mhz for comparison. I may just order the NZXT bracket and liquid cool it.

Bwa? Thats terrible temps. You must not have clean airflow like mine. I got my Gigabyte G1 in now and heading home

ZcpRDbK.jpg

I'll see if I can upload a pic a little later, airflow is clean.. what do you use on the top?

I have a question,

I never thought (or in fact heard) of MSI being a quality brand like Asus or Gigabyte (these two are considered the 'quality' brands here in Taiwan), but with 970 and 980ti MSI seems to be doing very well.

Is this emergence a recent thing or have they been a good GPU maker in the past?

PEBHAC (problem exists between heatsink and case).

What are the Temps and airflow inside your case like?

PEBHAC (problem exists between heatsink and case).

What are the Temps and airflow inside your case like?

I've got a Kraken X61 push/pull in the front, pulling fresh air in. The 140 is barely touching the back of the card. Top is a 220mm scythe green pro exhausting air. Rear is a 120MM exhaust. I popped the top and pointed a fan at the card. Temps dropped to 78C within a couple mins.

Back