Monster Hunter: World

art style looks great but those blurry textures really stand out making the image appear a bit soft...are you using FXAA or TAA?...both cause a bit of blur...this game needs a high-res texture pack badly...hopefully Capcom delivers...if the graphics can match the gameplay then this could be pretty special

TAA, with everything maxed out in terms of graphics. A little later on if you want (after work), I can upload similar pictures of both the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X of Monster Hunter World to compare to the PC. Despite what other people have stated, the game does seem to run more fluid on the PC, and loading is a bit better (I have SSDs for both consoles, but loading is still a pain).

The textures are a bit of a mixed bag in the PC version - some of them look really sharp and good (most of the character textures, for instance) and some just look terrible, like some of the wood textures in Astera. But other rocks and things out in the world look great.

Hopefully we can get either an HD texture pack from Capcom, or a third-party texture mod.

And yeah, the load times on the PC are WAY better than PS4 Pro, even with an identical SSD in both.

TAA, with everything maxed out in terms of graphics. A little later on if you want (after work), I can upload similar pictures of both the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X of Monster Hunter World to compare to the PC. Despite what other people have stated, the game does seem to run more fluid on the PC, and loading is a bit better (I have SSDs for both consoles, but loading is still a pain).

you're playing at 4K?...try posting some 4K screens...I'm sure the PC version looks better then consoles but it's not a huge difference...the main differences are frame rate, faster loading times and higher resolutions...those are definitely big improvements but things like textures and foliage could look a lot better on PC

In a game like this...couldn't disagree more. Keep in mind this is a game that has NEVER been on PC other than the MH:Online stuff in China.

That said, apparently they are working on the mouse movement - or at least the dev team is aware of the issues.

Pretty weak excuse, this isn't Capcom's first PC port.

There is no 21:9 support. It just black bars it.

Uch...pathetic.

Perhaps. I guess ultimately, even if KBM controls were better I would still use a controller for this game because the gameplay warrants it.

Fair enough, although I have seldom come across games where a gamepad is warranted except when the devs have absolutely screwed up translating control mechanics to k/m. MHW might be one of those rarities.

Last edited:
people are reporting that downgrading to 398.36 Nvidia drivers is boosting frame rates...

>TFW playing MH:W with 360 gamepad @ 4K UHD and having no issues worth crying about beyond fog performance

caf3d0dbcdf9822a39dd65a60cb0971f.jpg

I'd feel sad about you k/b+mouse, 21:9, and anti-denuvo bro's predicament but I'd be lying.

You have to make sure you let the drinking animation complete fully (you'll see a sort of flash on your character and it'll make a noise) for the Antidote to work. You'll also see your health bar go from purple to green again.

Once you get a bit further in, I highly recommend using Herbal Medicine instead of Antidotes - it's way quicker to eat and also heals you a little bit.

You can actually interrupt the animations for potions/etc. in this game, which is different from previous titles. So you could drink half of a potion, and then dodge roll, which will cancel the animation but also waste the rest of the potion. Kinda sucks when a monster roars and this happens, but it's not that frequent.
Yeah that's probably it. I would pick the antidote then it would charge me and I'd dodge. I am guessing if you get hit mid animation it also doesn't work. I have the Herbal Medicine now I think, but I didn't have it during the fight with the Puki.

If I don't care about 21:9 (but yes it should be added as an option), plan on using a controller, and understand that the game needs a high rez texture pack down the road... how is this game otherwise in terms of stability and are there any egregious issues to speak of?

Not happy to see Denuvo, either.

Yeah that's probably it. I would pick the antidote then it would charge me and I'd dodge. I am guessing if you get hit mid animation it also doesn't work. I have the Herbal Medicine now I think, but I didn't have it during the fight with the Puki.

Yep, exactly. Good thing about items like the Antidote that don't have progressive effects (i.e. most things that aren't Potions) is that they won't be wasted if you get interrupted, you'll just have to try drinking it again.

>TFW playing MH:W with 360 gamepad @ 4K UHD and having no issues worth crying about beyond fog performance

View attachment 95334

I'd feel sad about you k/b+mouse, 21:9, and anti-denuvo bro's predicament but I'd be lying.

Lol...fair enough. I haven't had too many issues since I started using the XB1 controller. Though it feels just different enough to bug me since I'm used to playing it on PS4.

I guess I could hook up my Dualshock 4...

Lol...fair enough. I haven't had too many issues since I started using the XB1 controller. Though it feels just different enough to bug me since I'm used to playing it on PS4.

I guess I could hook up my Dualshock 4...
The only issue I have with my Dualshock 4 is they didn't include the Dualshock button icons in the game. I want a mod to fix it now, but by the time one shows up I bet I won't notice/care anymore. ;)

Well shit, was gonna wait for a MH/DLC discounted buy later on down the road, but I like the timed exclusives. Do fighting these drop rare items that you can never get again from other monsters? Thinking of the WoW events that were timed and only happened once that forever changed the server.

Sometimes the event quests do have special drops, though usually it's just increased monster drops or increased HR rewards. The current ones are just more low-rank monster drops.

Also, the event quests cycle back around eventually, and during the Spring/Summer events ALL of the event quests have been available, so that's also a thing.

So don't worry too much about missing them, they will come back around.

Unskippable cutscenes, sigh. And you can't "quit" during a quest/hunt what is this even.

seems like you need to devote at least 1 hour to each hunt...this game doesn't seem catered towards casual gamers but more towards hardcore 'stay up all night' fighting dino players

seems like you need to devote at least 1 hour to each hunt...this game doesn't seem catered towards casual gamers but more towards hardcore 'stay up all night' fighting Godzilla dino players

Each hunt should be like 10 to 20 minutes with a group and maybe 5 minutes longer solo... You’ll get there, and after a while you’ll know what to avoid. The end game is all user choice on what Hunts you want to do.

Each hunt should be like 10to 20 minutes with a group and maybe 5 minutes longer solo... you’ll get there :)

I never co-op if given a choice...solo is much more rewarding for me...with co-op you can just stand back and let others do all the work...it's like I'm not even playing...20 minutes sounds generous...I keep hearing how each hunt can potentially last 30+ minutes...

I never co-op if given a choice...solo is much more rewarding for me...with co-op you can just stand back and let others do all the work...it's like I'm not even playing...20 minutes sounds generous...I keep hearing how each hunt can potentially last 30+ minutes...

The way the scaling works, monster have 2.6x normal health in multiplayer. So it’s a bit faster when everyone is compentent (and they generally are, at least on PS4).

Speaking of MP...I don't want to put anyone off the game, but I feel the need to rant a little.

Stuff like Kulve Taroth, Behemoth, and the Arch Tempered monsters are ostensibly impossible without doing MP, and I kinda hate that. Especially when the difficulty level and randomness of monster AI is so high that you end up triple carting most times in a group of randoms.

I've fought Behemoth like 20 times now, not once gotten a win. I just started doing AT Teostra, and managed to solo it with the Lance in about 20-25 minutes. Felt like a slog, but I did it. I go online to do some co-op, and it's a fucking nightmare. A dozen tries later and still no win.

I enjoy doing fights with randoms on anything other than these ultra-difficulty, one-shot-kill monsters where they jack up the HP so high that you basically have to do MP. I can't say I am a fan of the way they're taking the post-endgame content so far.

HOWEVER - none of you PC peeps have to worry about this stuff since none of it is even in the game yet on PC. :p But, it's coming...

Stuff like Kulve Taroth, Behemoth, and the Arch Tempered monsters are ostensibly impossible without doing MP, and I kinda hate that. Especially when the difficulty level and randomness of monster AI is so high that you end up triple carting most times in a group of randoms.

those 3 are the only ones that don't scale to multiplayer and have a fixed amount of health (regardless if solo or co-op)?

those 3 are the only ones that don't scale to multiplayer and have a fixed amount of health (regardless if solo or co-op)?

Technically just Kulve and Behemoth, but the Arch Tempered monsters have the normal health multiplier in solo vs co-op, but they just have a lot more HP in general.

not sure what you mean, you can abort from the menu, and keep the loot you have collected.

"Abandon quest" leaves the quest with no rewards.

"Return from quest" leaves you with anything you've collected/carved thus far.

Technically just Kulve and Behemoth, but the Arch Tempered monsters have the normal health multiplier in solo vs co-op, but they just have a lot more HP in general.

"Abandon quest" leaves the quest with no rewards.

"Return from quest" leaves you with anything you've collected/carved thus far.

It's actually been kinda fun starting over on PC. I've learned that gunlance is awesome lol. I'm on the last quest before high rank already, but I'm holding out on that until tomorrow. The only monster I have had any issue with so far was Odegaron. His hyper-aggressiveness and speed were a pain to deal with using such a slow weapon. Him applying bleed every 2 seconds is also terrible. Diabolos ended up being a joke with GL. I remember that stupid guy being such a pain when I was going through on PS4. I guess it's probably mostly due to how much I farmed that guy on PS4 for his weapons. Oh well, on to HR tomorrow.

Each hunt should be like 10 to 20 minutes with a group and maybe 5 minutes longer solo... You’ll get there, and after a while you’ll know what to avoid. The end game is all user choice on what Hunts you want to do.
Also depends on your equipment. I had one last 37 minutes when I was using a Bow. I was doing practically no damage to it, but I was easily dodging it's attacks (only got hit like 4 times). To be fair though the bow only had the one upgrade so it was under powered. The thing that takes me the longest is chasing the the monsters down once they start running, or having to wait around and not chase it when something bigger starts to fight my prey and when the prey bolts, the intruder starts to run after me. That has been the pattern at the moment when I am going on expeditions to try and get crafting materials.

Is there better armor in this game? So far the best I think have seen is the Hunter and Bone. The newer ones that have been unlocked all have some penalties like negative value in multiple stats. Right now I'd rather use a hunter/bone armor combo to have positive stats in Fire/Water/Thunder resistance than the other armor that have negative stats. Do the resistant stats mean next to nothing and only the defense stat that really matters? I am not a fan of the whole Armor sphere concept. It feels like a forced reason to keep you busy going back to research to refill a list that is constantly almost the same things being repeated.

Monsters also disappear when fighting them in an expedition. It happened now 2x to me. Once, a nearly dead one just vanished as I was fighting it, it dove into the mud and poof never came back, and another ran away I sharpened my weapon then it vanished off the map.

[QUOTE="LurkerLito, post: 1043772379, member:

Monsters also disappear when fighting them in an expedition. It happened now 2x to me. Once, a nearly dead one just vanished as I was fighting it, it dove into the mud and poof never came back, and another ran away I sharpened my weapon then it vanished off the map.[/QUOTE]

That is something that irritated me. Fight a monster until nearly defeated, only to have him retreat and vanish off the map, leaving me with no drops and a wasted effort. Now I only fight monsters that I have a quest for. That seems to fix the issue.

Also depends on your equipment. I had one last 37 minutes when I was using a Bow. I was doing practically no damage to it, but I was easily dodging it's attacks (only got hit like 4 times). To be fair though the bow only had the one upgrade so it was under powered. The thing that takes me the longest is chasing the the monsters down once they start running, or having to wait around and not chase it when something bigger starts to fight my prey and when the prey bolts, the intruder starts to run after me. That has been the pattern at the moment when I am going on expeditions to try and get crafting materials.

Is there better armor in this game? So far the best I think have seen is the Hunter and Bone. The newer ones that have been unlocked all have some penalties like negative value in multiple stats. Right now I'd rather use a hunter/bone armor combo to have positive stats in Fire/Water/Thunder resistance than the other armor that have negative stats. Do the resistant stats mean next to nothing and only the defense stat that really matters? I am not a fan of the whole Armor sphere concept. It feels like a forced reason to keep you busy going back to research to refill a list that is constantly almost the same things being repeated.

Monsters also disappear when fighting them in an expedition. It happened now 2x to me. Once, a nearly dead one just vanished as I was fighting it, it dove into the mud and poof never came back, and another ran away I sharpened my weapon then it vanished off the map.

Honestly, don't worry about armor too much during Low Rank. Just make sure you either upgrade what you have, or craft pieces from monsters as you progress. The only thing that really matters in LR is to make sure you have enough defense to not get one or two-shot. Once you get to HR and start getting the better gear, you can start worrying about having proper skills for your weapon and such.

To answer your question, defense is generally more important than resistance in my experience. Most people base their gear around what skills they give and decoration slots more than anything. There is only one monster where having resistance is important: Kirin. You'll want lightning resist as well as things like anti-paralysis when you get there, but that's quite a ways off since the first time you have to fight him is HR 49 I believe.

you're playing at 4K?...try posting some 4K screens...I'm sure the PC version looks better then consoles but it's not a huge difference...the main differences are frame rate, faster loading times and higher resolutions...those are definitely big improvements but things like textures and foliage could look a lot better on PC

I don't play 4k because of the frame rate. I only get roughly 30-40 fps if I play 4k (all options maxed). I tried messing around with the settings, but the only thing that seemed to change my fps was the resolution scaling, going from High to Low, whatever that means. Then, I can get 60 fps, but the game looks a lot worse. 1440p, I'm at 60-80 fps, and 1080p I'm at 80+ fps.

The one major difference is the PC version doesn't seem to have HDR, or at least I don't see any place in the game to enable it.

that res scaling has me confused. I left it at variable with resolution priority. im waiting for a graphic setting breakdown to come out so I can understand some of the setting better. but so far on a [email protected], 970 and 16Gb settings at 1080p/high Im getting mostly 60 with occasional dips towards 50, lowest I saw was 45 during the first big chicken fight. every time he'd dig up a rock it'd drop to 45 then pop back to 60.

I don't play 4k because of the frame rate. I only get roughly 30-40 fps if I play 4k (all options maxed). I tried messing around with the settings, but the only thing that seemed to change my fps was the resolution scaling, going from High to Low, whatever that means. Then, I can get 60 fps, but the game looks a lot worse. 1440p, I'm at 60-80 fps, and 1080p I'm at 80+ fps.

The one major difference is the PC version doesn't seem to have HDR, or at least I don't see any place in the game to enable it.

I set the Volume Rendering Quality and AA to off, VSync on, resolution scaling to prefer resolution, and everything else set to max. I get around 48-60 FPS in the hub town @4K UHD depending on where I am looking. I'm only a few hours in but so far these settings hold up during gameplay and I haven't noticed any huge FPS spikes yet.

ah yeah I turned off the VRQ too, I think it looks better and gives a good FPS boost.

I'm new to this whole series, but have put like 12hr in the last day or two I've had off work lmao.

I think I just got to the Coral Highlands. I think I'm rockin a Stone 1 Glaive and mostly maxed out armor and insect guy.

I guess my question is, how long do you guys stay in an area and farm before going on? So far I haven't really had that tough a time pushing on, but I feel like my weapon is basic as hell. I tried the Blooming 1 Glaive and the Flammenwhatever, but the Sever dmg and increased sharpness of the Stone 1 seems better.

I'm new to this whole series, but have put like 12hr in the last day or two I've had off work lmao.

I think I just got to the Coral Highlands. I think I'm rockin a Stone 1 Glaive and mostly maxed out armor and insect guy.

I guess my question is, how long do you guys stay in an area and farm before going on? So far I haven't really had that tough a time pushing on, but I feel like my weapon is basic as hell. I tried the Blooming 1 Glaive and the Flammenwhatever, but the Sever dmg and increased sharpness of the Stone 1 seems better.

Just push on, there is a lot more to get to.

Don't worry about farming a ton in low rank. LR is basically a giant tutorial. Just kill the monsters you need to kill and grab what you can while you are looking for the monster. Just make random armor that you can from your story hunts, and you should have enough defense to get you through LR.

And... when does LR end?

After you beat the second Zorah mission, you'll get access to some of the high rank armor and weapons. After a few more quests you'll officially be HR...I want to say it's right after you beat Pink Rathian. A big window tutorial thing will pop up saying the rest of high rank stuff is unlocked. Anything past 5 stars in considered a HR hunt, though.

Back